Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Megalopolis is a FLOP

[QUOTE]Francis Ford Coppola‘s sci-fi epic collected an anemic $4 million this weekend. With poor word of mouth, the film opened in sixth place behind three holdover titles and the Indian action film “Devara: Part 1.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2024 5:53 AM

I am reluctant to watch a movie with Adam Driver in it. What was he thinking?

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2024 10:27 PM

The clips on Twitter are already becoming laughable memes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2024 10:31 PM

I can't decide what's worse: the acting, writing, or directing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2024 10:33 PM

R3, all of the above and I’ll add editing. This was a hot ass mess! Most critics though are bending over backwards to praise this film and they sound fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2024 10:36 PM

It looks psychotic and I am very much looking forward to seeing it.

For free.

On TV.

In the comfort of my own home.

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2024 10:41 PM

Also, Adam Driver is abysmal. He needs to be channeling Joan Crawford and Charlton Heston.

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2024 10:44 PM

Great point R6. This would’ve been a great role for Charlton Heston and he would’ve been much better at it.

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2024 10:54 PM

It needs big actors who know how to fill the screen and not be intimidated by the silliness of epic movies.

I know there are actors younger than Denzel Washington and Jack Nicholson and Russell Crowe but few in their 40s and 30s is springing to mind. Mayyybe Christian Bale and Edgar Ramirez.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2024 11:03 PM

This Driver guy…I just don’t get the appeal.

Yes, he’s distinctive-looking, but is that enough?

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2024 11:11 PM

I mean, we all knew it would.

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2024 11:20 PM

Joker 2 is the one that is gonna rock the industry.

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2024 11:21 PM

Another flop for Adam Driver.

by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2024 11:23 PM

Driver is much better on the small screen.

by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2024 11:59 PM

I haven’t seen it and I’m not sure it’s a movie for me, but I think the public has just decided to hate the movie. That just happens sometimes.

People who are actually going to see it like it though.

I may end up watching it anyway.

Driver is funny looking but he’s a good actor. Directors seem to love his work.

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2024 12:04 AM

R8, back in the day—in 1949, specifically—Hollywood gave us Gray Cooper in The Fountainhead as a visionary architect. Gary Cooper. And he had off the charts chemistry with his co-star Patricia Neal, too.

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2024 12:08 AM

[quote] People who are actually going to see it like it though.

No they don’t.

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2024 1:46 AM

I saw it the day after it opened and I honestly don't know what to say or how to describe it. Clearly it's a statement on leadership, art, dedication, politics, history etc. The art direction and cinematography was incredible. I also loved how they threaded the elements of ancient Rome into the modern world. It makes you wonder if Rome never fell, would it look just like what Coppola envisioned, NRPD on police cars instead of NYPD, brilliant. The scene where Julia was trading quotations from Marcus Aurelius with her father the mayor on the qualities of leadership were quite profound. But Coppola was trying to pack too much into it and it got lost. I'm sure there is a 4 hour version sitting on his desk someplace that we may get to see and answer all the questions.

by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2024 2:38 AM

who is gonna pay money to see that ugly cunt? Even if free, not gonna waste my time!

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2024 2:43 AM

Jesus…the above clips make Susan Lucci and other daytime soap-opera actors look like fucking Bogarts and Hepburns.

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2024 3:00 AM

Also I loved that the dialog took on prose from time to time just like the play Charles III, also set in the modern world. Maybe this project was too high brow for people. It's clearly not a mainstream film. Also the fact that I'm still thinking about it more than a week after seeing it says a lot.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2024 3:09 AM

It's hard to believe it's a flop given how handsome Adam Driver is!

Let me gaze upon THAT gorgeous kisser for over two full hours!

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2024 3:29 AM

He put up his own money - something like $200mm.

I give him credit for putting his money where his mouth is, but honestly, has he made a decent movie since the early 2000s?

by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2024 3:40 AM

It just looks so, so great.

I love how Aubrey Plaza says "Two--the bank is mine" just like Charles Busch as Angela Arden in Die, Mommie, Die!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 6, 2024 3:42 AM

MegaFLOPolis

by Anonymousreply 24October 6, 2024 3:44 AM

[quote] I love how Aubrey Plaza says "Two--the bank is mine" just like Charles Busch as Angela Arden in Die, Mommie, Die!

Oh my god! I would have NEVER made that connection until reading your post! 😂😂

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2024 4:05 AM

looks like a turgid nightmare. i want to get really fucked up and see it as a joke.

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2024 4:41 AM

The CGI is laughably bad.

by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2024 4:59 AM

I saw it tonite. It is a huge turgid turkey. 🦃

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2024 5:20 AM

[quote] looks like a turgid nightmare. i want to get really fucked up and see it as a joke.

I think that’s a good idea. I saw the hot mess and I can say it does seem like a film that could be better appreciated when you’re fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2024 5:33 AM

Adam Driver is terrible in this.

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2024 5:50 AM

From the clips I’ve seen it reminds me of a TV show I would have seen in the 90’s on USA or Sci-Fi Network.

by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2024 5:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!