Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: remodeled bank in Conway, WA (no drive-thru)

It was the vault… now it’s your bathroom!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 4, 2024 4:59 PM

I'm a tall person who likes sunlight. This is very nice for me. I wish the basement was finished and spic and span.

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2024 9:21 PM

I feel like you’d get confused people walking up to your door and rattling the handle wondering if you were open. It does say “bank” above the entryway.

by Anonymousreply 2September 29, 2024 9:22 PM

Lots of natural light. Surprising for a former bank.

by Anonymousreply 3September 29, 2024 9:25 PM

I love it. It has a very solid feel, due to it having been a bank.

That bathroom is probably my favorite room. But where's the toilet? I think there's a separate water closet (toilet room). Too bad. You wouldn't have to worry about noises escaping from it, since it was a vault.

Love the bedroom and all the mouldings in all the rooms.

by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2024 9:36 PM

I have no idea where the fuck Conway, Washington is but this is very nice. It's always interesting to see buildings being renovated into homes.

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2024 9:44 PM

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2024 10:28 PM

Where's the ATM?

by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2024 10:34 PM

Love it but it is kind of small, especially for a bank.

by Anonymousreply 8September 29, 2024 10:39 PM

I wonder if it's a historical building. They would pay for upgrades.

by Anonymousreply 9September 29, 2024 10:43 PM

Bar right next door with and outside dinning area, you better not be an early riser living in that house. You ain't getting no sleep in that house.

by Anonymousreply 10September 29, 2024 10:59 PM

From the outside it looks like it should be larger than 950 square ft.

by Anonymousreply 11September 29, 2024 11:01 PM

An earlier listing for the same house says over 1800 sq ft. Maybe that counting the basement and now it cant.

by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2024 11:03 PM

An hour north of Seattle. "As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 84 people, 28 households." I don't think the bar next door will be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2024 11:06 PM

[Quote] I feel like you’d get confused people walking up to your door and rattling the handle wondering if you were open. It does say “bank” above the entryway.

Yes because people do regularly just visit a bank where they don’t have an account, just to windowshop for money.

by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2024 11:16 PM

I’d do anything to live across the street from the coveted Sund Building.

by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2024 11:17 PM

Maybe I just missed it, but was their any kind of kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2024 11:18 PM

Yet again, you bitches are MISSING THE ENTIRE POINT. "Tasteful Friends" is intended to be the severest type of irony, as these threads were originally dedicated to eviscerating the pieds-à-terre of society matrons on the Upper East Side. Their apartments were, almost without exception, designed in utterly ghastly fashion: either severely dated or severely hideous. Oftentimes both.

What is the point of having this title if I can't use it? Deliver us unto CUNTINESS, bitches! I want UGLY houses! (And while it is certainly not my style, this refurbished bank is at least smart & refreshing.)

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2024 11:20 PM

Didi, you're being a drip. You can die on that hill. Nobody gives a crap about your finer distinctions.

by Anonymousreply 18September 29, 2024 11:31 PM

It's a beautiful little building, and a great candidate for conversion as a house.

Unfortunately the renovation did the building few favors. The shadowy grey monotone erases the great blocky mass and the crisp detailing is flattened out and all but lost. That's an easy paint job though. 8 The tacky, trendy details and finishes like the weathered barn wood siding used inside the house, the sloppily planned kitchen, that horrific raw wood fencing and deck and railing, and the finish details were all done on the cheap and ugly.

It's all the latest lowest common denominator trends mashed into what's in essence still a handsome building but tarted up on the cheap and with no sophistication or design knowledge - just shit bought from Home Depot and Target.

by Anonymousreply 19September 29, 2024 11:35 PM

That fuse box is to die for!

by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2024 11:37 PM

R20 lighten up honey. It's a middle-class house not a design showpiece.

by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2024 11:43 PM

That was for R19

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2024 11:43 PM

Fuck off, R17. Or start your own fucking Tasteful Friends threads, to which I would either contribute or not.

Post Tasteful Friends posts about Somers Farkas' summer cottage (and formidable sternum) if you like that sort of thing. No one is stopping you. But you can stick your repeated criticism of Tasteful Friends threads not being yo your taste for tacky up your shitter.

by Anonymousreply 23September 29, 2024 11:43 PM

[quote]The shadowy grey monotone erases the great blocky mass and the crisp detailing is flattened out and all but lost.

I like that they left the original grey walls and didn't sheetrock over it. Looks pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 24September 29, 2024 11:46 PM

R22 I was about to cut your power line; all forgiven now.

by Anonymousreply 25September 29, 2024 11:47 PM

R24 I’m guessing he meant the exterior

by Anonymousreply 26September 29, 2024 11:47 PM

I like it, but $650,000 for less than 1000 square feet in a dinky little town like Conway seems like highway robbery.

by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2024 11:53 PM

Or a bank robbery

by Anonymousreply 28September 29, 2024 11:56 PM

650k would buy a shack in Seattle, this could be nice for someone who doesn't mind the commute, or could work remotely.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2024 12:33 AM

[quote] Yet again, you bitches are MISSING THE ENTIRE POINT. "Tasteful Friends" is intended to be the severest type of irony

Severest type of irony? What the fuck is that?

[quote] What is the point of having this title if I can't use it? Deliver us unto CUNTINESS, bitches! I want UGLY houses!

You want LOW-HANGING FRUIT that even a dimwit can mock and ridicule.

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2024 12:50 AM

[quote]Bar right next door with and outside dinning area

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 31September 30, 2024 2:55 AM

^^ get fucked

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2024 3:15 AM

^^ learn English

by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2024 3:42 AM

^^eat shit grammar nazi

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2024 3:59 AM

Nazi! For CHRIST'S sake, it's a proper noun!

by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2024 4:01 AM

The price is a bit steep for the location.

by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2024 4:05 AM

um, grammar nazi is not in fact a proper noun.

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2024 4:07 AM

Uh, yeah, you'd still capitalize the "Nazi" part. Just because it's "grammar Nazi" doesn't mean you put the "Nazi" in lower case.

by Anonymousreply 38September 30, 2024 4:13 AM

Actually it does…as a compound noun, it takes the common form in this instance.

by Anonymousreply 39September 30, 2024 4:15 AM

OK, just researched it. I guess you can bring the Nazi down to a "nazi" for "grammar nazi." I've never written or typed it out, before. It just seemed wrong to not capitalize it.

by Anonymousreply 40September 30, 2024 4:17 AM

Is that an Apology

by Anonymousreply 41September 30, 2024 4:18 AM

It's not really an apology, but if it makes you feel happy, take it as an apology.

by Anonymousreply 42September 30, 2024 4:20 AM

It is if you lowercase "Apology."

by Anonymousreply 43September 30, 2024 4:20 AM

Grammar trolls are such fucking losers.

by Anonymousreply 44September 30, 2024 4:23 AM

Acknowledgment—

Judas H. Priest!

by Anonymousreply 45September 30, 2024 4:24 AM

R44 the Nazis among them are the wurst.

by Anonymousreply 46September 30, 2024 4:24 AM

Grammar trolls just epitomize the stereotype of gay men as prissy, pissy queens. It's embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 47September 30, 2024 4:30 AM

Mein Herr Schultz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 30, 2024 4:33 AM

^^WTF is that?

by Anonymousreply 49September 30, 2024 4:38 AM

That’s a Nazi grammarian!

by Anonymousreply 50September 30, 2024 4:40 AM

^^Put down the gin and go to bed. Mother needs you to get up early to give her her morning colonic.

And don't forget to feed the cats.

by Anonymousreply 51September 30, 2024 4:46 AM

JD—the cats feed you

by Anonymousreply 52September 30, 2024 4:50 AM

It's charming and solidly built but for $650,000 US I'd want cladding on the outside, updated pipes and a GFCI outlet in that powder room. An S-trap and a regular outlet is a disaster waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 53September 30, 2024 5:07 AM

But why, R53?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 30, 2024 5:09 AM

Never mind

by Anonymousreply 55September 30, 2024 5:09 AM

Everyone should put r18 on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 56September 30, 2024 5:10 AM

Yeah, I hope they updated the pipes and electrical.

by Anonymousreply 57September 30, 2024 5:12 AM

The Skagit valley is famous for its stunning fields of tulips. The backdrop of Cascade Mountains and volcanoes just adds to the beauty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 30, 2024 8:17 AM

Exterior is interesting. Interior is bland and uninviting. I'm so tired of the HGTV reno look.

by Anonymousreply 59September 30, 2024 1:42 PM

R56 nice try didi, also R17, but everyone agrees with me. You're a humorless, control freak, hall monitor cunt.

by Anonymousreply 60September 30, 2024 1:47 PM

Grammar and spelling are not the same thing. And there's no excuse for spelling errors when free spellchecking is available to all.

by Anonymousreply 61September 30, 2024 3:36 PM

Tell that to Jennette McCurdy, Jennette Robbins and Jenntte Nelligan, R61. One site (can't find it now) accepted "Irregardless." "Woah" is acceptable here, but not on Google:

[quote]In US English, “woah” is still always considered nonstandard

by Anonymousreply 62September 30, 2024 4:41 PM

Hah! R62, I've been having a now years-long argument (in good humor) about that subject with some friends of mine on a group chat. I'm strongly on the "whoa" side, but others are interestingly not, and note that all of us are dictionary bitches.

by Anonymousreply 63September 30, 2024 6:23 PM

[quote]And there's no excuse for spelling errors when free spellchecking is available to all.

When you're quickly typing stream of consciousness style on a bullshit internet forum about bullshit topics, it's not really all that important if you misspell a word or two. This place isn't an academic thesis or a jounalistic article. So fuck off you prisspot.

Seriously, the spelling and grammar queens are such stereotypes of prissy gay men that everybody hates.

by Anonymousreply 64September 30, 2024 6:26 PM

Love it at first - but as others have mentioned

1) No kitchen?

2) Toilet is in a separate bathroom in the bedroom

3) No partition for the bedroom - there's no wall - it's like a large studio.

by Anonymousreply 65September 30, 2024 6:34 PM

I only just now got around to reading the description, and I noticed this part: "This building features a combination of thoughtful design and practicality, making it an ideal choice for any potential business owner." I'm entirely confused: why is it listed as a residential sale – and for a building with residential zoning – if its intended use is commercial? And why is it decorated akin to a home if so?

All that said, I think I know the point of the renovation: for use as an Airbnb. Conway is extremely conveniently located right off the 5 in-between Seattle & Vancouver. The revamped bank lacks a kitchen but *does* have plumbing (including sewer) and central A/C, meaning they could've definitely added a kitchen if they wanted. But they didn't, and using the building either as an office or Airbnb seems to be its only practical use without one.

by Anonymousreply 66September 30, 2024 7:03 PM

R58 - I remember that! I took the train from Seattle to Vancouver BC - beautiful trip. Although, typical Amtrak, a lot of delays and it took forever.

by Anonymousreply 67September 30, 2024 11:16 PM

Where are the gunshot holes?

by Anonymousreply 68September 30, 2024 11:31 PM

Everyone here bitching about the price, somehow expecting to find a roomy, stylish, move-in-ready house for $300,000 in ANY CITY in America need a wake-up call. Welcome to 2024, where only millionaires can afford to be homeowners.

by Anonymousreply 69October 1, 2024 1:53 AM

I don't want to live in a bank. WTF? I'm special enough. Dummies striking up dumb conversations, noise, bandits. There's a stooge born every minute.

by Anonymousreply 70October 1, 2024 3:58 AM

R69. I am not even bitchin about the price. However, it needs one real kitchen and one real bathroom. I could deal with the rest.

by Anonymousreply 71October 1, 2024 2:33 PM

Overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 72October 1, 2024 2:52 PM

Honest question - can a stand-alone structure be listed as residential with no kitchen? I know a lot of states require window and exit features to be called a bedroom.

I thought most building codes require a kitchen - not that it has to be large - but something. I did a quick search on Google and it says WA state requires permanent provisions for cooking, living, sleeping, and sanitation.

How would you use this - or can you even buy it as a non-commercial building?

by Anonymousreply 73October 1, 2024 4:25 PM

R73, that's pretty much why I commented on this bit from the listing: "This building features a combination of thoughtful design and practicality, making it an ideal choice for any potential business owner." You're correct that a kitchen-less house should, in theory, be impossible: property law varies significantly by state, but the literal bare minimum that a livable dwelling should contains are largely standardized. A housing unit MUST have – normally, at least – fully functional electricity & plumbing, sufficient heat to keep the entire home at least 55º year-round, at least one full bathroom (including at least a shower) and, at minimum, some type of kitchenette. I don't see how this place even got a CO from a code inspector without one.

Unless we happen to have a poster from Washington who's familiar with its zoning regulations who can offer a better explanation, I still think this house's only plausible use is as an Airbnb. No, I don't think the price is too high: PNW STRs go for BATSHIT prices between April & October, given the superb weather. It seems like a convenient, well-located place to spend some time – perhaps using the opportunity to check out the surrounding Skagit Valley, or even using Anacortes as a jumping-off point for exploring the San Juan Islands via ferry.

I'll confess that I'm biased: I almost always try to spend at least two weeks each summer in Washington or BC, to escape the heat. I always stay at Airbnbs when I travel, and I'm a sucker for quirky ones like this place. (And while I've never previously stayed in a former bank, I've stayed in a former brothel, a Prohibition-era speakeasy, and a "safe house" of sorts for HNWIs with bulletproof glass and automatic shutters for every single window & door in the place that can close simultaneously in under 15 seconds. (No, I didn't test it out.) If this gets bought up for Airbnb use, I'll very likely be staying there in the future! (The Skagit Valley is one of the few parts of the state I haven't yet explored at length.)

by Anonymousreply 74October 1, 2024 6:46 PM

[quote]Honest question - can a stand-alone structure be listed as residential with no kitchen?

It worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 75October 1, 2024 8:47 PM

R75. Shut up, Tubby!

by Anonymousreply 76October 1, 2024 10:30 PM

I love it. You could put a kitchen in the basement.

by Anonymousreply 77October 1, 2024 10:42 PM

You made me this way, mom! It's all YOUR FAULT!

by Anonymousreply 78October 1, 2024 11:17 PM

R78. It's always the mother's fault! Look at you with that celery stick! No wonder you're as big as Shamu.

by Anonymousreply 79October 1, 2024 11:26 PM

It’s neat.

by Anonymousreply 80October 2, 2024 12:14 AM

One of my all time favorite living spaces was a large studio apartment with a separated, well designed galley kitchen and nice full bathroom. I loved it. They could have done that there but weren’t sure if they wanted a hime or an office.

by Anonymousreply 81October 2, 2024 12:40 AM

/home

by Anonymousreply 82October 2, 2024 12:41 AM

Inside is too colorless for me and I don't care for the walls but I LOVE the outside. It looks so clean and neat. There are very few lines on the front and it is like just one connected piece with two very large windows. I wonder if they have ever cleaned it. (the outside)

by Anonymousreply 83October 2, 2024 12:58 AM

Love it. A great adaptive reuse of an old commercial building.

by Anonymousreply 84October 2, 2024 1:00 AM

Talk about a money pit!

by Anonymousreply 85October 2, 2024 1:45 AM

One bedroom yet two bathrooms? Overall, I have just one word... why?

by Anonymousreply 86October 2, 2024 1:47 AM

R86. One is men's, one is women's, but you need a third for gender neutral.

by Anonymousreply 87October 2, 2024 1:51 AM

R86, from the pictures, I see two half baths. One with sink and bathtub; another with sink and toilet.

by Anonymousreply 88October 2, 2024 1:29 PM

R81, my own favorite living space was also an outlier: two large and mostly separate Manhattan loft spaces, but which share a communal kitchen & bathroom. I almost never cook, so I'd be fine with the Conway place.

R86, are you not familiar with the concept of a powder room? Do you really want your guests freshening up in the place where you take your shits? (especially in an older building with subpar airflow)

by Anonymousreply 89October 3, 2024 9:53 PM

No kitchen? A deck that looks like a cheapie add-on abd has nothing to do with the architecture of the building? Decor that fails to pay tribute to the building's history--even with an antique store across the street which likely had old cash registers or calculators or vintage signs? Great bones, bad execution. My vote? BANKRUPT! OVERDRAWN! Send this designer TO A COLLECTION AGENCY!

by Anonymousreply 90October 3, 2024 10:17 PM

Well, I suppose it's better than living in a remodeled shipping container.

by Anonymousreply 91October 3, 2024 10:48 PM

Great place for a Bonnie & Clyde themed party. That might be tempting fate, though.

by Anonymousreply 92October 4, 2024 2:06 AM

Don’t Airbnbs require a kitchen? At the very least if would make the place more appealing.

by Anonymousreply 93October 4, 2024 4:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!