Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Star Trek vs Star Wars

I neither know nor care whether we have done this before, so spare me the “mein fuhrer” bullshit.

I want to know which science fiction series you love the most. And then I want to know why.

by Anonymousreply 48October 3, 2024 5:01 PM

Star Wars - no comparison.

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2024 1:32 PM

Mein Darth Vader

—FIFY

by Anonymousreply 2September 29, 2024 1:44 PM

I'm not a sci-fi fan in general, but the first 3 Star Wars films came out during my childhood and I loved them. All the different creatures especially. ST was too nerdy for me.

by Anonymousreply 3September 29, 2024 1:53 PM

Should have been a poll. And should be divided up by year. Pre-prequel Star Wars, TV-only Trek, etc.

by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2024 1:53 PM

Star Trek, just because how fleshed out the world is at this point. Star Wars however takes it in the movie department because those first three were so fun and colourful and let your imagination wander all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2024 2:06 PM

Star Trek because it actually attempted to be science fiction based on scientific theories of the time whereas Star Wars is just a space fantasy. As some people say Star Wars is a western set in space, and I don’t like westerns.

by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2024 2:14 PM

Star Wars for me, but they scratch different itches.

Star Trek gives me hopes about what humanity could become IRL, equal and kind to each other, but their battles are not really interesting at all, not in a way that appeals to adolescent me. The new film’s soundtrack is sick as fuck tho. I love seeing the ship rise or save the day to the dramatic main theme.

Star Wars scratches the basic adolescent male itch of melee combat. But it’s more importantly a power fantasy in space, taking you well beyond the boring prescience of Dune, where the most skilled characters could become a literal god of the stars through mastering aspects of mysterious, ancient gnosis. The franchise also just has the highest quality, most viscerally-satisfying media in sci-fi…but also a lot of shit to be fair since the new trilogy & D+. Plus John Williams is a master of his craft and probably the secret sauce for the commercial success.

An honorable mention to Stargate because I feel like it blended the two sub genres in a fun way. Plus I loved the Egyptian aesthetic of the film and the imagine of a twink god villain, plus the campy mixing of deity pantheons in the lower-budget TV show.

by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2024 3:04 PM

[quote] The new film’s soundtrack is sick as fuck tho.

Which new film?

by Anonymousreply 8September 29, 2024 3:17 PM

r7 Omg, Stargate, yes! I had a crush to end all crushes on Apophis as a gayling. That was one hot Jamaican totty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 29, 2024 3:19 PM

[quote] Mein Darth Vader —FIFY

Mein Darth Sidious.

FIFY.

by Anonymousreply 10September 29, 2024 3:30 PM

R8, the 2009 reboot series with Michael Giacchino's new theme. I love the epic moments like the climax of the 2009 film linked below or the intro of Into Darkness where the ship rises above the primitive species.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 29, 2024 3:34 PM

"STAR WARS". I wanted to get FUCKED 24/7/365 by Hans Solo!!

Fuck Princess Layla-I could give what he wanted! I let a surfer have me for 2 weeks because he looked like Harrison Ford in Witness. Seriously Hot.

by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2024 4:17 PM

[quote]Hans Solo

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2024 4:27 PM

How do you fuck up both Han's an Leia's names, but get both Cs in Chewbacca right? Gurl, you are something else.

by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2024 4:32 PM

Trek sometimes is actual SF. Star Wars is incestuous Harry Potter type fairy tale. Wizards and princesses and knights.

by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2024 4:34 PM

Star Trek and I loved the reboot films, especially the first one. Star Wars, sure the original three but after that they were a chore and now I’ve completely lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2024 4:45 PM

I had 2 terrier& Great Dane rescue mixes named Chewbacca& Macbeth, I found them on the beach back in the day!

Great dogs loved children-chew toys and cats. That's how I remembered how to spell Chewbacca.

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2024 4:51 PM

The original Star Wars trilogy is an iconic piece of movie making that (good or bad) helped changed moviemaking. Those three movies are firmly entrenched in pop culture.

Star Trek was too, but I think it's lost some of its influence (compared to how huge it was in the 80's and 90's)

I do think however, that Star Trek has better maintained its quality in all of its various incarnations. Next Generation and Deep Space Nine were top quality series that at times, bested the original, and the reboot movies were fun homages to the original series.

Star Wars has a high-quality expanded universe in literature, but movie and TV wise, has been a very mixed bag. Ranging from decent (Mandalorian, Rogue One) to downright awful (the prequels) Nothing has come close to generating the magic of the original trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 18September 29, 2024 5:01 PM

Lucas got lucky. His wife saved Star Wars in editing. He was not in charge of Empire. Jedi was about selling toys - the rot had already set in.

by Anonymousreply 19September 29, 2024 5:37 PM

Oh yeah, I fucking love Star Wars!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2024 5:45 PM

I would have said Star Wars before Disney completely ruined the franchise with the terrible sequel trilogy and the lackluster TV spinoffs that have diluted and cheapened the brand. The original trilogy is still a landmark of cinematic history, though.

Now I would say Star Trek -- the franchise had some rough years after Star Trek: Nemesis. But it slowly recovered with Discovery (which was uneven), which led to the third season of Star Trek: Picard and both seasons of Strange New Worlds.

by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2024 11:26 PM

Macbeth was a paranoid killer. How’s that dawg doin’?

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2024 11:34 PM

r21 And now that Trump-loving Oracle turd is in charge of Paramount, so who the hell knows what the future holds for Trek.

by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2024 3:28 AM

[quote] Fuck Princess Layla-I could give what he wanted!

I'm sorry to tell you this, but Hans Solo's girlfriend's name is actually spelled "Princess Leila."

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2024 3:31 AM

Now I would say Star Trek -- the franchise had some rough years after Star Trek: Nemesis.

Agreed.

But it slowly recovered with Discovery (which was uneven),

If by "uneven," you mean "usually awful," I agree.

[quote]which led to the third season of Star Trek: Picard

UGH.

aka "The Elderly and Addicts Gather on Planets that All Look Exactly like Northern California."

[quote]and both seasons of Strange New Worlds.

Finally you named a good show.

by Anonymousreply 25September 30, 2024 3:34 AM

Not sure, but it seems like the more intelligent you are, the more likely it is that you prefer Star TREK.

by Anonymousreply 26September 30, 2024 3:39 AM

Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 27September 30, 2024 3:40 AM

R24 Eric Clapton was not singing about Carrie Fusher

The more you know💫

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2024 3:49 AM

Trek. Star Wars is overblown, overhyped space opera.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2024 7:20 AM

Star Trek.

I watch TNG, Deep Space 9, Voyager and Enterprise on the regular. They are my medicine.

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2024 9:17 AM

r30 Those shows are such comfort TV at this point, it's perfectly normal to want to watch them regularly in this crazy world. ENT in particular has this camera sheen that works like subtle ASMR on me.

by Anonymousreply 31September 30, 2024 10:08 AM

Star Trek because Enterprise had gratuitous scenes of its male stars baring their hairy chests. Captain Archer and Trip are welcome to spit roast me anytime.

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2024 11:13 AM

I particularly love Enterprise and wish it was played more often. Archer and Trip are such sweet solace.

by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2024 11:21 AM

Star Trek. My uncle called it a liberal soap opera. “Why do they have to talk so much before they do anything?” Ben Sisco made me a better person.

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2024 11:41 AM

The command structure in Star Wars is hilarious. The main characters always get field commissions to general.

by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2024 11:44 AM

Star Trek through and through. If you’re going to view any new Trek, completely ignore Discovery and Picard. They are dreadful. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is pretty good, and certainly the only new Trek to watch in my opinion.

I watched the reruns of Star Trek, the original series (ST: TOS) in my teens and was absolutely captivated. Here was a world where Earth no longer had wars, diseases, hunger, or poverty. Whoa. Theirs was a world where people of all races, male and female, were equals and welcomed at the table. This was a welcome counterpoint to my father’s daily racist rants. Star Trek was offering hope to a little gay boy like myself. I could imagine a future where I would be welcomed regardless of who I was attracted to.

It was also largely based on real science which was so refreshing! Up to this point, Americans’ experience of science fiction was “Lost in Space” with its monsters and rubber-suited creatures with inane plot lines. True, early Trek also had the occasional rubber-suited monster, but they were the exception not the rule. Trek explored complex issues like war, injustice, genocide, and racism in an entertaining, novel manner which was thought-provoking and not preachy. It was hopeful, truly hopeful, without being pollyannaish.

ST: The Next Generation came along and amplified the themes TOS had presented. It too was largely science-based and continued the themes of optimism, inclusion, and hope. Voyager, Deep Space Nine, and Enterprise continued these traditions and filled out the Star Trek canon.

Like many others, the original Star Wars movies were a hoot—I loved them! However, for me they were like a fun summer fling, whereas Star Trek was my long term relationship.

by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2024 12:51 PM

[quote] But it’s more importantly a power fantasy in space, taking you well beyond the boring prescience of Dune, where the most skilled characters could become a literal god of the stars through mastering aspects of mysterious, ancient gnosis.

🙄

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2024 2:33 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 38October 1, 2024 2:59 AM

This is easily solved once you realized that at no point whatseoever did Princess Leia ever get the chance to shriek hysterically, "I could have YOU EJECTED INTO SPACE!" at anyone.

So of COURSE Star Trek is better.

by Anonymousreply 39October 1, 2024 3:03 AM

[quote] "I could have YOU EJECTED INTO SPACE!"

What would give anyone the authority to say that?

by Anonymousreply 40October 1, 2024 3:06 AM

[bold]THIS[/bold] gives me the authority!!!

***makes violent karate-chop-like gesture pointing towards neck collar insignia***

The authority of the [bold]TAL SHI'AR!![/bold]

by Anonymousreply 41October 1, 2024 3:30 AM

Apples and oranges. For me Star Wars was only the movie experience. Saw the first three Star Wars movies in the movie theater when they first came out. Loved the first one, saw it so many times in the theater that I lost count. Didn't see the next two more than once in the theater. Similar decline in later SW movies. Don't want to watch them on TV and not interested in latest remakes-reboots-series. Don't think the Star Wars universe is very interesting - too simple. With Star Trek, it's the TV shows that matter. ST Movies - first three fun, rest less so. Favorite actors obviously too old for their characters kind of a bummer. Watched ST TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager when originally broadcast. Didn't much like Enterprise and haven't gotten into any of the newer series yet. Yet I can go back and re-watch ST episodes and still enjoy them. Can't say that about Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 42October 1, 2024 11:59 PM

I must be the only one on the planet who does not like the Star Wars franchise. I saw the first one and a few others and was not remotely interested, give me my Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 43October 2, 2024 12:15 AM

Is Disney Bad at Star Wars? An Analysis:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 3, 2024 4:05 PM

You can’t defeat the empire if they’re destroying the entire universe for profit.

by Anonymousreply 45October 3, 2024 4:08 PM

Interesting story, R44. Disney ruined Star Wars by not having a coherent plan for the sequel trilogy and leaning on the franchise too hard for Disney+ content. It became too much of a good thing and cheapened the entire franchise. The injection of modern politics didn't help, but it wouldn't have been as much of a problem if the stories were good.

by Anonymousreply 46October 3, 2024 4:41 PM

Star Trek, it’s so much more intricate than Star Wars. Star Wars is simply good vs. evil, and made for 10 year old boys. Star Trek is made for adults(Ok, may TOS wasn’t).

by Anonymousreply 47October 3, 2024 4:52 PM

JJ Abrams had a hand in degrading BOTH of these franchises.

by Anonymousreply 48October 3, 2024 5:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!