Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charlotte, North Carolina

What’s it like there? Worth moving to?

by Anonymousreply 35October 3, 2024 3:07 AM

Go for it

by Anonymousreply 1September 28, 2024 6:28 AM

Don't go for it

by Anonymousreply 2September 28, 2024 6:31 AM

Why?

by Anonymousreply 3September 28, 2024 6:34 AM

It sounds like a boring place.

by Anonymousreply 4September 28, 2024 6:35 AM

I recommend staying in a hotel by the Charlotte airport and then taking public transit into town every day. The locals have an accent so it's better to sleep far away from the city center.

by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2024 6:38 AM

Better to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and then head to the city from there. One neat trick and all

by Anonymousreply 6September 28, 2024 6:50 AM

What’s the dick like there?

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2024 11:45 PM

Limp and wet, fur the time being.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2024 11:47 PM

r5 "The locals have an accent so it's better to sleep far away from the city center."

What does one have to do with the other?

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2024 11:51 PM

I've never heard a good thing or bad thin about Charlotte. It's notoriously bland. Here's a quote from a native:

"I can't think of much that the Charlotte area doesn't have at least something of, but you're not wrong. I say it as a native, Charlotte is a pretty generic 'an city'. Its not really notable for anything. What is has is fine, but I've never had a visitor from out of town say they HAD to do or see anything here.

Charlotte was a smallish city that didn't have a ton, but it grew really fast. Led to a lot of sprawl, corporate or cookie cutter establishments, filled with people who haven't been here very long."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2024 11:57 PM

Sounds delightful 🙄

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2024 12:22 AM

Is crime a problem there?

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2024 12:25 AM

If existing in Charlotte = a felony, then YES.

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2024 1:35 AM

[quote]Worth moving to?

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2024 1:41 AM

Did Charlotte, NC get hit by Hurricane Helene?

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2024 1:41 AM

It got hit in the head!

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2024 1:49 AM

I think Charlotte had some trees blown down. It is well to the east of the area devastated by the hurricane/flooding, which looks downright apocalyptic. So many roads in the mountains are washed out or otherwise impassable that they are using mules to get aid and supplies to people cut off without water, food, and electricity. There are over 600 people unaccounted for in just one county.

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2024 1:54 AM

Charlotte's banks have been centers of narcocapitalism for generations.

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2024 2:36 AM

R18 - shhhh - that's very true - but let's pretend we're like Switzerland, who hides the money for dictators, corrupt politicians, and tax cheats for the entire world.

Charlotte's banking should be investigated.

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2024 5:20 AM

Best known for the hornets. BTW, why did everybody in the '90s seemingly have the jackets and jerseys of such a mediocre team?

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2024 5:28 AM

Because their colors were teal and purple, baby! The ‘it’ colors of the early/mid 90’s.

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2024 5:40 AM

I live near Charlotte. It’s fine. Fun and relatively easy to go to baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, or football games. Some good concerts here.

I don’t think it has much of a party or club scene/nightlife scene, but I’m old and don’t know much about that stuff anymore. I mostly stay home. And enjoy it.

Charlotte wasn’t affected much by Helene, that was to the west in the mountains. Asheville area.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2024 5:45 AM

Warm and wet, probably.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2024 5:47 AM

Charlotte always reminds me of one of those Chinese megacities that appeared almost overnight out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2024 5:48 AM

Hardly. 100 years ago there were 600 textile mills where Charlotte is today.

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2024 7:02 AM

[quote]I recommend staying in a hotel by the Charlotte airport and then taking public transit into town every day. The locals have an accent so it's better to sleep far away from the city center.

There is always the language barrier issue in Charlotte. They speak Southern there, so you might not be able to understand them.

by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2024 7:41 AM

Dreadful place. North Carolina has some nice enough, livable enough cities with some real attributes depending on how you like to live, but Charlotte is a bit of high energy Texas empty bravado and bad taste. And that special syrupy televangelist accent is the worst in a state where everyone sounds as though their underwear is way too tight. I don't recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2024 8:35 AM

North Carolina is a place of horror. I wouldn't live there.

by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2024 8:39 AM

Not a lot of character - mostly chain everything: restaurants, stores, etc

by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2024 8:42 AM

How thick is the accent, and how thick are the cocks?

by Anonymousreply 30October 2, 2024 7:38 AM

My brother lives there so I visit on occasion.

It's... fine. I have nothing more or less to say about the city, so that is telling in and of itself.

by Anonymousreply 31October 2, 2024 11:53 AM

Imagine living in a place where the #1 tourist attraction is the Billy Graham Library!

NASCAR Hall of Fame is a close #2 though!

This list is embarrassing. Truly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 3, 2024 12:23 AM

It's an Atlanta wannabe. There are some local quirks/idiosyncrasies that are fun, but there's nothing particularly good that originated here.

by Anonymousreply 33October 3, 2024 1:10 AM

Exactly, R34. If Atlanta is the bicycle with training wheels for mediocre Southerners to get away from their miserable little towns and make it big, what, then, is its sad wannabee Charlotte?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 3, 2024 2:41 AM

North Caroline has some of the worst drivers in the country. They’re either old and slow and/or transplants from New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 35October 3, 2024 3:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!