Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Meryl Streep to Lead ‘The Corrections’ Adaptation at CBS Studios

The Oscar and Emmy winner is attached to a drama project of Jonathan Franzen's acclaimed novel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 1, 2024 8:20 PM

It’s gonna be so bad

by Anonymousreply 1September 27, 2024 4:56 PM

A CBS series? My, how the mighty has fallen!

She's entering her Angela Lansbury era.

by Anonymousreply 2September 27, 2024 4:58 PM

God they've been trying to push this up the hill for 20 years. I guess they've thrown up their hands.

by Anonymousreply 3September 27, 2024 4:58 PM

No where does it say CBS series. It’s CBS studios. It may be a movie.

by Anonymousreply 4September 27, 2024 4:59 PM

It says it's a series, but doesn't say where it will end up. Paramount owns the rights, so it'll probably be Paramount+ or CBS. Unless MTV wants it.

by Anonymousreply 5September 27, 2024 5:17 PM

Are there parts in it for us?

by Anonymousreply 6September 27, 2024 5:18 PM

Hopefully it will not be the disaster that her movie based on “The Orchid Thief” was. Such a fantastic story ruined by juicing up the plot.

by Anonymousreply 7September 27, 2024 5:22 PM

Wasn't The Corrections one of the last of the pre-Amazon, pre-internet (internet existed but wasn't the end all be all of daily life) fiction books to make a big splash - sales and cultural coverage. Or do I have the the timing off?

I'm surprised it wasn't a movie already.

by Anonymousreply 8September 27, 2024 5:23 PM

She’ll never stop working.

by Anonymousreply 9September 27, 2024 5:39 PM

I have tried to read the book a million times. Nope. Don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 10September 27, 2024 5:44 PM

This novel is a masterpiece. A long slog, but worth it. Highly recommend.

by Anonymousreply 11September 27, 2024 5:49 PM

R9. I hope not

by Anonymousreply 12September 27, 2024 6:11 PM

Whatever happened to her leading in The Nix???

by Anonymousreply 13September 27, 2024 6:46 PM

R9 she's barely worked in 4 years

by Anonymousreply 14September 27, 2024 7:14 PM

Franzen generally grabs me so I recall reading this in a few days. A lot of the specifics were so early 2000s, but wouldn't be too difficult to change or they could have it be a period piece.

by Anonymousreply 15September 27, 2024 7:33 PM

R7 Adaptation is a brilliant film. I detest Cage and even he was great in it.

by Anonymousreply 16September 27, 2024 8:30 PM

It's a step up from the third-rate supporting role on Only Murders in the Building.

But damn, it really did all go to shit for her after Weinstein was exposed, didn't it?

by Anonymousreply 17September 27, 2024 9:49 PM

Her not working much is not due to Harvey. She had that long film run from The Deer Hunter to The Post. Plus her marriage fell apart and she suddenly had grandkids. Harvey had nothing to do with any of that.

This could be good but it seems light on details.

by Anonymousreply 18September 27, 2024 9:53 PM

How the hell do you make a viable movie out of that turgid, monstrously boring rhinoceros snatch of a novel?

by Anonymousreply 19September 27, 2024 9:56 PM

I thought it was a series.

by Anonymousreply 20September 27, 2024 10:16 PM

It was an Oprah Book Club selection back in 2001. Franzen didn’t want any part of her book club, so Oprah canceled his appearance on the show.

by Anonymousreply 21September 27, 2024 10:56 PM

[quote] It says it's a series

No, it doesn’t. It was tried as a series years ago.

by Anonymousreply 22September 28, 2024 1:10 AM

R20, the Great M would put her left tit in a Mix Master before appearing in a--mon Dieu!--TV series!

by Anonymousreply 23September 28, 2024 2:15 AM

R17 go fuck yourself. She made maybe 2-3 movies Weinstein's company produced. Miramax then Weinstein Company produced tonnes of movies.

by Anonymousreply 24September 28, 2024 9:02 AM

Tonnes are for the stage, you mean Oxcars.

by Anonymousreply 25September 28, 2024 9:20 AM

R21 what was Franzen's beef with Oprah?

by Anonymousreply 26September 28, 2024 9:51 AM

His literary nose got bent out of shape because he thought Oprah’s previous selections were schmalzy and overly sentimental, R26.

by Anonymousreply 27September 28, 2024 12:20 PM

I made the mistake of going to a live interview with Franzen about 20 years ago. Total weirdo: slouched in his chair and basically mumbled his way through the interview. Zero stage presence.

by Anonymousreply 28September 28, 2024 12:29 PM

Just in time for the 25th anniversary of the book's publication.

by Anonymousreply 29September 28, 2024 12:41 PM

Is Cooper Koch too young to play her son Chip, the one who shoplifted some smoked salmon by stuffing it down his pants?

by Anonymousreply 30September 28, 2024 1:01 PM

Meryl Streep is to acting what Jonathan Franzen is to fiction writing. Adequate, overwrought, and overrated.

by Anonymousreply 31September 28, 2024 4:28 PM

Franzen was pissed when lard ass Oprah put The Corrections in her book club with the other crappy books she was hawking at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 28, 2024 4:36 PM

I will believe this when it actually happens. In the past, they have announced projects with Meryl (The Nix, or Places, Please) that never happen or get passed on to lesser stars. She also supposedly was going to be in a Joni Mitchell biopic directed by Cameron Crowe but that also has gone radio silent.

by Anonymousreply 33September 28, 2024 4:48 PM

"Is Cooper Koch too young to play her son Chip, the one who shoplifted some smoked salmon by stuffing it down his pants?"

Which unlike most men, made his crotch smell BETTER.

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2024 9:27 PM

Meryl needs a producing partner. They float these projects at market but no one may bid if they don’t want to pay her quote. If she had a producer partner working with her (like Reese or Nicole have) she may have more success. With a few exceptions, gone are the days where an older stars can green light films or series on their own name.

by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2024 10:10 PM

Jonathan Franzen, can you imagine. The man who's on record saying that Graham Greene is "overrated." I don't know about you, but I know whose books *I* would save in a fire!

by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2024 11:24 PM

[quote]the Great M would put her left tit in a Mix Master before appearing in a--mon Dieu!--TV series!

I'm guessing you missed both season two of Big Little Lies and the most recent season of Only Murders in the Building.

No star is above tv series in the 20s. That's where all the best parts are.

by Anonymousreply 37October 1, 2024 2:00 AM

Plus HBO's "Angels in America," way back in 2003.

by Anonymousreply 38October 1, 2024 2:04 AM

I loved THE CORRECTIONS and loved CROSSROADS even more (now there's a great mother role for Meryl!). As I remember THE CORRECTIONS, it's episodic storytelling is far more suited to a mini-series than a film. And its fans would probably prefer to sit home than go to the mall to watch it.

I just hope that Franzen's involvement in this project won't delay the publication of his promised sequel to CROSSROADS (actually the second in a supposed trilogy).

by Anonymousreply 39October 1, 2024 2:22 AM

RE TV: In the '90s, Meryl did this ABC movie-of-the-week about a mom who goes to great lengths to help her young son with severe epilepsy.

Naturally, she was Emmy-nominated, but lost to Alfre Woodard in "Miss Evers' Boys" (HBO)

The other nominees were Stockard Channing in "An Unexpected Family" (USA), Glenn Close in "In the Gloaming" (HBO), and Helen Mirren in "Prime Suspect 5" (PBS).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 1, 2024 7:39 AM

R40 Meryl did that movie to raise awareness of alternative, effective treatments for epilepsy, based on her friend's experience with her kid. It's one of the very few things she produced.

by Anonymousreply 41October 1, 2024 12:12 PM

R24 still she was exposed as the unscropoulos person, ready to praise and suck up to guy who was raping her young colleagues. And a hypocrite who jumped on me too train afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 42October 1, 2024 12:27 PM

R42 shut up. You then have to apply that logic to any actor or actress who had any association with him, including Judi Dench, Kate Winslet, Blanchett, Aniston, Pitt, Hopkins, Sharon Stone and hundreds of others. Why was Meryl so targeted?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 1, 2024 1:28 PM

Jessica Lange and Shirley McClaine's Wild Oats was a Weinstein movie. Did they know too R42?

by Anonymousreply 44October 1, 2024 1:30 PM

She also did tv way back in 1978 and won a Golden Globe for Holocaust.

by Anonymousreply 45October 1, 2024 3:11 PM

She won the Emmy, not the globe. Her first filmed work was on tv

by Anonymousreply 46October 1, 2024 3:14 PM

Wow, I thought this smear of Meryl was over. It was organized by the right after she called out Trump at the Golden Globes, as if she alone was responsible for the crimes of Harvey. Sad to see people still believe it.

by Anonymousreply 47October 1, 2024 3:44 PM

Yeah, Meryl and Judi Dench were smuggling starlets to Weinstein. Jessica Lange was on door watch. Helen Mirren did the recording and Colin Firth was in charge of the NDAs...

Anthony Hopkins was head of the drop off cars.

by Anonymousreply 48October 1, 2024 4:08 PM

I think Rose McGowan's point was that Meryl was so well-respected in the industry...people would have taken the allegations about Weinstein seriously if she had spoken out publicly about it.

However, Meryl didn't even live in Hollywood, so I do think it's plausible that she just wasn't aware of it.

by Anonymousreply 49October 1, 2024 4:42 PM

I think Meryl did that TV move at R40 as a favor for a friend. It was a one-off project, and not really her attempting to "venture" into TV.

by Anonymousreply 50October 1, 2024 4:44 PM

The Harvey fiasco has less to do with Meryl and more to do with all the problems of show business. Everyone knew he was a bully and womanizer who bragged about sleeping with actresses and then they won the Academy Award due to his help (including Streep for The Iron Lady). They all tolerated him because he was good at winning Oscars and promoting films. And if someone else had sex with him for a part, they thought, whatever, that's on her. Or they didn't believe his stories about his conquests since it was hard to imagine an Angelina Jolie, Charlize Theron or Jennifer Lawrence doing this.

But I don't believe that many people knew that he was raping women and covering it up with NDAs. That knowledge was limited to Miramax executives, staff and attorneys.

Streep became a target once it was revealed because she was the Queen of Hollywood and joked that Harvey was "God" at an awards show. And yes, her mild attack on Trump caused all the subsequent outrage and made her the face of Harvey Weinstein's evils. But she only saw him during film promotion or industry events. She wouldn't know the seedier details of rapes and NDAs.

She did tolerate his known bad behavior (bully or womanizer), but they all did. She did tell her daughters never to go into his office, so she did know he was a bad guy towards women, but they all did. As a group, they enabled Harvey and probably didn't want to think it was worse that it already was.

Hopefully it is behavior that has stopped but of course it probably still goes on. The whole business is geared towards sleeping up and kicking down.

by Anonymousreply 51October 1, 2024 6:17 PM

Well said R51

People act like she was a friend of his. He actively cost her the Oscar for Doubt with his dirty campaign for Winslet in The Reader (which she later admitted disgusted even her!)

He also actively campaigned CZJ for Chicago and Helen Mirren for The Queen, meaning Streep lost for Adaptation & The Devil Wears Prada.

by Anonymousreply 52October 1, 2024 8:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!