Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Nobody Wants This' romcom series on Netflix

Will you be watching this? I wasn't convinced by the trailer, thought it was trying too hard and it seemed aggressively straight. But it got this glowing review; admittedly from a frau, for whom this is probably catnip.

[quote]An agnostic podcast host and an unconventional rabbi on the rebound walk into a party. When they walk out – together – the unlikely pair, Joanne (Kristen Bell) and Noah (Adam Brody), can tell there is something between them.

All ten episodes out September 26.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 2, 2024 1:15 PM

Trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2024 2:43 PM

What an…appropriate title.

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2024 2:49 PM

r2 Nomen est omen.

I'm sure the crew joked about it all the time on the set.

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2024 2:58 PM

R3 what’s that mean?

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2024 3:02 PM

Ick.

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2024 3:04 PM

r4 It's just Latin for "the name is a sign", it's a way more common saying in my language than in English for cases such as these. It would be even more apropos if this flopped, which it doesn't seem like it will.

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2024 3:06 PM

Is Adam Brody hot? Like, I can't decide for some reason, I keep going back and forth.

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2024 3:08 PM

I can not stand either of them. He's a miserable piece of shit and she's insufferable in every single way

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2024 3:15 PM

I find Adam Brody very sexy. but as a Rabbi? no I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2024 3:15 PM

He's like that hot priest in Fleabag! But Jewish! Do you get it now, r9?!

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2024 3:18 PM

Drove me crazy, who’s the actress playing the sister. It’s Willa from Succession.

Anyway, Tovah Feldshuh plays his mother and she’s always worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2024 3:23 PM

Fraulicious!!!!

by Anonymousreply 12September 26, 2024 3:38 PM

Adam is much hotter now than his twinky OC days.

by Anonymousreply 13September 26, 2024 3:53 PM

I won't watch this as I'm not a woman.

by Anonymousreply 14September 26, 2024 3:56 PM

Kristen Bell is so insufferable, on screen and off.

by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2024 4:25 PM

Who could sit through 10 episodes of this crap?

by Anonymousreply 16September 26, 2024 4:44 PM

Isn’t this just a reboot of “Bridget Loves Bernie”?

Why?

by Anonymousreply 17September 26, 2024 5:00 PM

I like both the leads, so I'll give it a chance. My continued interest may be contingent upon how much skin Adam shows, though.

by Anonymousreply 18September 26, 2024 5:09 PM

Okay this is actually VERY cute.

by Anonymousreply 19September 28, 2024 6:43 PM

It's really good.

by Anonymousreply 20September 28, 2024 7:15 PM

Binged all 10 eps yesterday.. Hoping for another season ..

by Anonymousreply 21September 28, 2024 8:47 PM

There better be a second season of this!

by Anonymousreply 22September 28, 2024 10:47 PM

I love this and I'm probably going to stay up waaaaaay too late to finish it. Fucking Adam Brody.

by Anonymousreply 23September 29, 2024 5:10 AM

I watched two episodes and found it trite. It's boring.

by Anonymousreply 24September 29, 2024 6:41 AM

It’s not bad. The jokes land. The story hums along. The people in it are real-ish — they may do cartoonish things, but they are not cartoons. Kristen Bell and Adam Brody, who play the central couple, are charming and work well together.

You feel the difference between this and other recent high-profile attempts by streamers to resuscitate the feature-length romantic comedy with brand-name performers like Anne Hathaway, Nicole Kidman and Brooke Shields. They all had all had the same problem: They were awful. The dead touch of cringey mediocrity could be felt immediately. You could hear the flatline alarm in the background.

by Anonymousreply 25September 29, 2024 6:55 AM

The Ick episode resonates

by Anonymousreply 26September 29, 2024 7:03 AM

R25 = the publicist for the show.

by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2024 12:13 PM

The older I get the less I am interest in far-fetched straight relationship films

by Anonymousreply 28September 29, 2024 12:42 PM

interestED

by Anonymousreply 29September 29, 2024 12:42 PM

I liked this - suffering through another bout of fucking Covid it was a good distraction.

by Anonymousreply 30September 29, 2024 12:58 PM

The problem with so many romcoms lately is that they always portray the lead actress as some bumbling idiot always falling, tripping or babbling like a moron every time she gets around her love interest. The one with with Brooke Shields was so painful I couldn't finish it. She also looks terrible but that's a different story.

by Anonymousreply 31September 29, 2024 1:09 PM

2 of the hottest kisses ever.

by Anonymousreply 32September 29, 2024 2:05 PM

Adam Brody is still very cute. Is he naked in this, even just a little bit?

by Anonymousreply 33September 29, 2024 2:27 PM

A brief flash of nipple in one episode, R33..

by Anonymousreply 34September 29, 2024 2:40 PM

I saw a photo of Adam in the Daily Fail when he was on the OC show. Thin legs and an ass to press shirts on 😧😔. Cute face though.

by Anonymousreply 35September 29, 2024 2:57 PM

I wanted to enjoy this show, to let it fill my weekend binge with some fun nice romantic stuff . Instead I got a lot of annoying characters - most of the Jewish women are portrayed as horrible meddling controlling and downright mean people, the Jews in general are all stereotypes and the dialogue is overly written and fast talked like its 1933.

Granted, the leads do have good chemistry but their love story is riddled with terrible supporting characters and bad plot lines.

I wish this could be better, more down to earth, warmhearted and sweet. I hope people won't think all American Jews act like this.

by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2024 12:47 AM

Interesting to see what people are projecting here. Yes, it's about a straight couple and one of them is Jewish, but the showrunner is one of the very, very gay creators of "Modern Family," and it definitely has that type of humor. No, I don't think dialogue written by a wealthy Millennial sounds like it was written in 1933. I'm not Jewish but didn't find anything on the first few episodes at all stereotypical – which is also projection, given that the showrunner based it on her own actual experiences. (She's a shiksa who married a Jewish guy, though I don't think he's a rabbi.)

The leads have *incredible* chemistry, and Adam Brody hasn't had an onscreen love story this interesting since "The O.C."! I'm really unclear why R36 is kvetching: I've seen nothing whatsoever that paints Jewish people in a negative light. (But yes, I know the "domineering Jewish mother" is a trope.)

Btw since I'm assuming this bit about its creator, Erin Foster, got overlooked: on the plus side, she was a writer for "The New Normal," which I assume you bitches remember. On the minus side, she's about as big of a trust-fund brat as it gets. Her dad is David Foster, Nanny McPhee's (far older) husband and Hollywood music royalty. But she's definitely a shiksa either way.

P.S. No, I'm not Jewish. I just live in New York.

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2024 1:06 AM

Trying to make Kristen Bell have edge (the phrase used for her in the show) was already a risk but how is this character edgy, at all? There's a lot of emphasis on the holy boy being into a not so holy girl, and that aspect just does not land. Maybe with more back story of her being wild or something but she seems totally fine and sweet and deserving of a decent guy. It has her questioning herself if she's a good person for what?? I showed him all of my crazy and it didn't scare him. He responds "I'm actually really into it" What? What crazy??? She's not even quirky or unusually goofy, she's so very normal. Side note: the sister is played up to be an even worse person than her and for what, for sleeping around? What year is this?!

by Anonymousreply 38September 30, 2024 1:36 AM

Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed this. Couldn’t stop watching after the first ep and binged the whole thing in an afternoon.

Funny, charming, all the comic performances are good and the two leads have good chemistry together.

by Anonymousreply 39September 30, 2024 3:02 AM

After watching, I truly believe this could have been so much better. What I hated the most was the fact that while Adam Brody aged really well, Kristen Bell looked like some weird wax figure. I understand that it is really hard to be a woman in Hollywood, and ageism is real, but she could barely lift her eyebrows, even though her delivery was witty and funny.

Joanne's dysfunctional family was portrayed as kind of dumb and shallow. There was an effort to explain her current-life problems and past emotional trauma, but I think it was not well executed.

What I really don't get is why Noah wanted to be with Joanne so badly. There was some chemistry between them, but not nearly enough for them to go through so many problems in a relationship and still stay together. The last two episodes, in particular, were not good and felt disappointing compared to the rest of the series.

by Anonymousreply 40September 30, 2024 3:34 AM

Kristen Bell is middle aged rich lady emaciated and too fucking old for this part. Adam Brody looks scuzzy. Why does the Jewish mother have that ridiculous accent? This series is about the secondary characters.

by Anonymousreply 41September 30, 2024 2:25 PM

“This series is about the secondary characters.” The Vulture recaps suggested the same, and I think those actors are terrific, but so are the stars — Bell and Brody are both 44 and are probably playing characters meant to be a decade younger. They both look attractive (Bell’s figure is fantastic ) and could pass for 38-40.

It’s much more important to get the right actors for a part than lesser actors that are the right age. They are good, they are funny, they have chemistry, and they have the conventional good looks of star actors, which I have no objection to.

Harping on their age reminds me of people who dismissed Netflix’s brilliant “The Talented Mr. Ripley,” because Andrew Scott was too old. He was a shade old, yes, but since like most actors, he takes care of his looks and body, it allowed him to give an excellent performance, making him ideal casting despite his chronological age.

by Anonymousreply 42September 30, 2024 2:39 PM

Or, maybe I am mistaken. Are these two characters 45 years old? Ick. I assumed 35 tops.

by Anonymousreply 43September 30, 2024 2:39 PM

It was oK in t Scott Ripley because that's a notorious twisted tale and a remake of a remake and a famous book. It's an exercise in style. Bell does NOT have a fabulous figure she is emaciated with no remaining boobs, for example. I agree with others above. Her face is uncanny valley reworked. It's just not that pleasant to think of a 34 year old woman looking like this. The looks like a hollywood star of 45 worth a hundred million dollars. Brody looked unwashed. He's wasting away and has zero muscle tone.

There is NO sense of the passage of time in this series. In a later episode it is mentioned they have been dating for months. Where were those months represented?

These two are slammed together and we just have to take it as some over the top attraction. Meanwhile I would have preferred more time with the siblings and those wags.

by Anonymousreply 44September 30, 2024 2:52 PM

I loved it. I thought their ages were perfect. So many of my friends in their mid 40s are FINALLY getting to the point of being able to have healthy relationships.

by Anonymousreply 45September 30, 2024 2:53 PM

The backstory does NOT make sense that the Rabbi is single to 45 and has a young fiancé. That actress looks the right age, mid to late 20s. The characters are clearly supposed to be 35 ish tops.

by Anonymousreply 46September 30, 2024 2:57 PM

What happened to Kristen Bell's face? She used to be so naturally cute and fresh, like what Sarah Jessica always wanted to look like. Now she looks like every other woman in Hollywood with tightened skin, emotionless expressions, and weird eyes.

Why can't these women leave their faces alone?

by Anonymousreply 47October 1, 2024 4:23 AM

She looks fine. I kept seeing comments like yours r6 amd it's not bad at all. She'd be dragged if she had a bunch of wrinkles. She probably had her slight lazy eye fixed which she got dragged for too and some laser work

by Anonymousreply 48October 1, 2024 10:35 AM

Calling a TV show "Nobody Wants This" is a bold move.

by Anonymousreply 49October 1, 2024 10:41 AM

This was so cute I’m actually rewatching it. Lol

by Anonymousreply 50October 2, 2024 1:52 AM

You better be a frau, r50.

by Anonymousreply 51October 2, 2024 1:11 PM

Why would I watch this when I could be watching Magnum P.I.; especially the crossover episode with Murder She Wrote?

by Anonymousreply 52October 2, 2024 1:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!