Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

King Arthur Birthday Cake- This Is Going To Be My Next Layer Cake

I don't however feel the need to purchase King Arthur brand products- but their cake flour is good quality so I may end up buying it anyway to make this cake down the road.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 27, 2024 3:13 AM

I use King Arthur cake flour and will definitely give this recipe a go. Looks delicious! What a good find!

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2024 4:28 AM

A rather simple flavor profile.

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2024 4:33 AM

Ooh thank you, OP. I've been looking for a decent yellow cake recipe. It's hard to find! They're either a dry crumb akin to corn bread or a rubbery texture. It's much easier to make a decent chocolate cake. I always forget to look at the King Arthur site. I think I made their date nut bread years ago. Good recipe. I was just thinking how it's baking season and I picked up a couple cans of pumpkin puree on sale earlier.

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2024 4:43 AM

Be sure to use a food scale to measure the flour & other ingredients. I bought a food scale maybe 20 years ago and never looked back.

Anyway, looks like a nice recipe. 4 eggs and a whole Tbsp. of vanilla in the cake (another Tbsp. of vanilla in the frosting). Also, 20 Tbsp. of butter in the frosting.

You can also do a 9x13" pan (vs. 2 layers).

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2024 4:45 AM

Fat whore thread.

Add some Ozempic to that while you're at it, r4.

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2024 5:41 AM

R5- We FAT whores will rejoice when we enjoy the flavor of this yummy sounding/looking cake.

R4- I think the instructions say you can either weigh the dry ingredients or measure them in measuring cups and use a knife to level off the top.

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2024 1:48 PM

R3- You're welcome. It just looks so beautiful and yummy in the photos ( plus the ingredients sound good) that I'm motivated to make this cake and to share the recipe and photos here on the datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2024 1:57 PM

It looks a little dense in the picture…

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2024 2:51 PM

I use King Arthur cake flour to make huge cookies.

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2024 4:30 PM

What about small cookies?

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2024 4:33 PM

King Arthur has some of the best recipes re: baking. Their cardamom buns are delicious!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2024 4:34 PM

I've been using the recipes for years and have never had one fail.

by Anonymousreply 12September 26, 2024 4:35 PM

That is my favorite kind of cake. I wish I could bake.

by Anonymousreply 13September 26, 2024 4:37 PM

Isn't Arthur a little old to still be celebrating birthdays?

by Anonymousreply 14September 26, 2024 6:03 PM

It does, R8. I'm all for keeping things simple, but I suspect that cake-to-frosting ratio wouldn't be that delicious to me. I prefer thinner layers.

by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2024 6:07 PM

I like the look of the crumb / density. Who wants a cake with big holes.

by Anonymousreply 16September 26, 2024 7:44 PM

R7 I’m sure you’ll type fat when you return to share photos of your heifer cake.

by Anonymousreply 17September 26, 2024 7:46 PM

How do they make the layers so thick? When I make a 2 layer cake it’s minuscule. Take four layers to look like that.

by Anonymousreply 18September 26, 2024 9:05 PM

I make this cake all the time. I've never used cake flour, and it comes out moist and delicious. The almond oil really makes a difference in the taste-- it brings out the vanilla flavor in the cake. King Arthur is my go-to site for recipes as a fairly low-skilled baker. I love trying their suggestions!

by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2024 9:57 PM

They probably use an 8” pan.

by Anonymousreply 20September 26, 2024 10:33 PM

That cake looks so dully 1938-ish, and so if anyone came over and tried to surprise me with that I’d scream with laughter and throw it right out the window.

by Anonymousreply 21September 27, 2024 1:12 AM

This doesn't look ready yet for its full flavor profile. It still needs to be entirely deep-fried.

by Anonymousreply 22September 27, 2024 1:26 AM

Dark chocolate frosting would be better.

by Anonymousreply 23September 27, 2024 1:28 AM

Just a can of frosting would be best of all.

by Anonymousreply 24September 27, 2024 1:31 AM

I think I would prefer milk chocolate frosting. Now I’m hungry for cake!

by Anonymousreply 25September 27, 2024 1:36 AM

[quote] The almond oil really makes a difference in the taste-- it brings out the vanilla flavor in the cake.

The recipe calls for almond EXTRACT.

I've never heard of almond oil (peanut, walnut, hazelnut, pistachio--yes) but if it does exist, that amount of it wouldn't have enough flavor to be noticeable in the cake.

by Anonymousreply 26September 27, 2024 3:09 AM

Almond oil is used for massage.

by Anonymousreply 27September 27, 2024 3:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!