Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

President-elect of Mexico refuses to invite "arrogant" King of Spain to her inauguration

Spain won’t send a delegation to the inauguration of Mexico’s first-ever female president on Oct. 1 due to an escalating diplomatic and royal row over its colonial history in the country.

Mexican President-elect Claudia Sheinbaum did not invite the King of Spain to her presidential inauguration after he failed to apologize for the Spanish conquest at the request of current President Andrés Manuel López Obrador.

Spain responded by pulling out of the ceremony altogether late on Tuesday night.

In a letter published on Wednesday and reported by El Pais, Sheinbaum said that “Mexico and Spain share a solid relationship of friendship,” but added that it “would benefit from a renewed perspective.”

The narrative of the Spain’s conquest of what is now Mexico in the 1500s is still debated.

Tension on the subject was renewed in March, when Obrador, a popular left-wing figure who will leave office at the end of September, asked King Felipe VI to recognize the abuses Spain committed during the conquest and to apologize for them.

On Wednesday during a daily television address reported by El Pais, Obrador affirmed his support for Sheinbaum, who will also be Mexico’s first president of Jewish descent, saying of Spain: “They acted with a lot of arrogance, they never responded to a respectful and formal letter.”

She did invite Putin however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 29, 2024 10:40 PM

Dr. Jill to lead US delegation.

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2024 12:23 AM

See, it all went straight to her head.

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2024 12:25 AM

Cracks me up. Should every colony on earth get an apology even when they've failed to govern themselves effectively? Will Maduro be lining up next?

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2024 12:28 AM

I don't have anyone ignored. Why is r1 not visible to me? Was he that awful so soon?

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2024 12:30 AM

Royalty adds class to an event. The king and queen of Spain should be welcomed.

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2024 12:31 AM

Ugh, always the stupidest kind of international dispute, which means it will never, ever end.

You didn't apologize for shit from 500 years ago! Oh, fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2024 12:32 AM

Speaking of Spain and Venezuela, the former King, Juan Carlos, cracked me up. "Porque no te callas?" Why don't you just shut up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2024 12:36 AM

Ah unnastand. We still not ovah Genral Sherman.

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2024 12:40 AM

R6 - It wasn't just 500 years ago - obviously Spain had colonies all over the world until the early 20th century.

England gets called out ALL THE FUCKING TIME by every former country - but I don't hear the same stuff about Spain, who arguably had a much more inhumane and unequal treatment of the conquered and colonialists.

I don't hear a peep from Latino countries about Spain and its bullshit - but they got a lot to say about England and America.

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2024 12:45 AM

Yes how awful those conquistadors were, overthrowing those noble, peace-loving, human sacrificing Aztec cannibals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2024 12:46 AM

And don't get me started on the Dutch!

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2024 12:46 AM

But either way r9, what the fuck use is some apology today from the current king of Spain? And yes, it's just as stupid when people want apologies from England, or the U.S., or France, or Portugal, or Russia, or on and on and on and motherfucking on ...

by Anonymousreply 12September 26, 2024 12:48 AM

[QUOTE]I don't hear a peep from Latino countries about Spain and its bullshit

Is that because you don't speak or read Spanish?

by Anonymousreply 13September 26, 2024 12:52 AM

Public accusations and mud slinging are not helpful. King Felipe is a constitutional monarch, and his public utterances are at the direction of the elected government. Personalising the issue helps nobody.

by Anonymousreply 14September 26, 2024 1:07 AM

Did he actually make a public utterance, r14? Why do you think he did?

by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2024 1:13 AM

[quote]after he failed to apologize for the Spanish conquest

You've got to fucking kidding me.

by Anonymousreply 16September 26, 2024 1:30 AM

People think the British in school still learn about the glorious nature of British empire and how beneveloent it was. That hasn't been the case in more than a decade. But, in Spain, the idea of the glorious Spanish empire is still dominant.

by Anonymousreply 17September 26, 2024 1:35 AM

All those diseases brought by the Spanish, not to mention the enslavement, just made the natives stronger and happier in the end! They should be thanking the Spanish!

by Anonymousreply 18September 26, 2024 1:36 AM

She better not speak Spanish from now on because, you know, it came from Spain. What a retard.

by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2024 1:36 AM

Truth & Reconciliation.

by Anonymousreply 20September 26, 2024 1:38 AM

[QUOTE]But, in Spain, the idea of the glorious Spanish empire is still dominant.

Could you tell us how you arrived at this conclusion? Were you a elementary/high school student in Spain recently to become familiar with the national curriculum?

by Anonymousreply 21September 26, 2024 1:41 AM

It wasn't HER request - it was President Obrador's request in 2019 to apologize for atrocities against the native people. They had years to craft a reply or statement - but nah.

UK Prime Ministers apologized for a lot of bad historical events - including slavery.

Good for her. Fuck the King of Spain - I don't think they've ever had an acknowledgment of how much of their riches came from such terrible treatment of people all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 22September 26, 2024 1:44 AM

[quote] Fuck the King of Spain

Gladly.

by Anonymousreply 23September 26, 2024 1:46 AM

It seems like an empty ritual and rightly ignored. It's not like anybody is going to accept any apologies, ever. And really who exactly is doing the accepting, on whose behalf?

What the hell is the point of all this shit, really? Yes, people should be very clear and taught about the horrors of colonialism. Yes, absolutely. But some king today apologizing for it all is just one of those stupid empty gestures that nobody actually really wants, they just want the weird experience of demanding it.

And honestly, a lot more Mexicans are probably descended from the people who committed most of the atrocities. Do they apologize as well? Does the Prime Minister demand that?

by Anonymousreply 24September 26, 2024 1:49 AM

^^^Knew that reply was coming.

by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2024 1:49 AM

I was referring to R23, not R24.

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2024 1:50 AM

oops, meant President, not Prime Minister.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2024 1:51 AM

She invited Putin to the ceremony and turned down Zelensky's offer to visit Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2024 1:51 AM

Mexico has been targeted by Russia. If anyone wonders where the "caravans" look no further. I actually posted an article about this a few years ago and got a royal DL chew out for being paranoid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2024 1:58 AM

Ask Our Lady of Guadalupe for intervention. I'll probably be put in a time-out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2024 2:02 AM

[quote] If anyone wonders where the "caravans" look no further.

Can you put the missing words in here r29? not sure what you are talking about. Russia is spying on us. Check. It's easier to spy on us from Mexico than within the U.S. Check, sort of (they have been spying on us through their embassies and consulates since at least World War II).

So what about caravans?

by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2024 2:03 AM

I don't care if he's a head for state, but who would really want Vladimir Putin at any event? There's damn near 200 countries in the World, so why would he be anywhere close to the of the list top for an invite? Right now he pretty much sticks to visiting other equally repressive, undemocratic countries like China and North Korea.

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2024 2:11 AM

R32 - it's a bluff to see if he shows up. If he does, it makes her look strong and willing to take on Putin. If he doesn't, it makes her look strong.

She knows what she's doing.

She's going to be interesting to watch.

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2024 2:14 AM

Or did she just invite every world leader, well, all but one?

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2024 2:19 AM

Maybe she's just needy and wants the biggest party ever.

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2024 2:20 AM

[QUOTE]So what about caravans?

Indeed, I missed two words "where the 'caravans' came from" Passing out walking around money to poor and desperate people all over Latin America.

Yes, of course, embassies are hubs of "spy" activity. It's just strange that sudden increase of about two dozen personnel got scoffed at.

by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2024 2:20 AM

I think some of those caravans were absolutely politically motivated - it always seems to happen before US elections.

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2024 2:23 AM

R9 Spain didn’t have any inhuman treatment at least compared to england. Spain actually treated Indians like humans while England as if they were animals. Learn history sweetheart .

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2024 2:34 AM

[quote] People think the British in school still learn about the glorious nature of British empire and how beneveloent it was. That hasn't been the case in more than a decade

Who on earth thinks this other than you?

by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2024 2:39 AM

[quote]I think some of those caravans were absolutely politically motivated - it always seems to happen before US elections.

There could be a whole separate thread dedicated to the bullshit that pops up or suddenly becomes a "concern" right before every presidential and/or midterm election. The migrant caravans and crime are perennial favorites. Once the elections end, those same news stories sink back into obscurity.

by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2024 2:40 AM

As R14 correctly notes, the King of Spain has no discretion in the matter. If she’s upset her stupid request wasn’t granted, she should criticise the Spanish government.

by Anonymousreply 41September 26, 2024 2:42 AM

[QUOTE]Spain actually treated Indians like humans

Only if they converted and left their heathen ways behind?

by Anonymousreply 42September 26, 2024 2:44 AM

The king of Spain's daughter came to visit me

And all for the sake of my ...

LITTLE NUT TREE!

by Anonymousreply 43September 26, 2024 2:45 AM

Oh come on, r38. As I posted, I don't really see the use of big fake apologies, but there is absolutely no reason to go in the other direction and sentamentalize this shit. It really was brutal, as noted by one of the first Spaniards to write about the conquest, Bartolome de las Casas. He started as a participant and ended as one of the ones disgusted by all that shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 26, 2024 2:50 AM

R38 - are you INSANE? They captured natives and put them into SLAVERY.

You don't know SHIT about history - keep your uneducated mouth shut.

by Anonymousreply 45September 26, 2024 3:01 AM

And they made them learn Flamenco.

by Anonymousreply 46September 26, 2024 3:03 AM

The Spanish were the first to bring African slaves to the Americas.

by Anonymousreply 47September 26, 2024 3:07 AM

Is Mexico’s president considered Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 48September 26, 2024 3:07 AM

But not the Lambada, r46, the Forbidden Dance!

by Anonymousreply 49September 26, 2024 3:08 AM

Would anyone want to have lived under the brutal Aztec warriors of Mexico? Not me. Thank God for the Virgin of Guadalupe, who converted the nation to Christianity.

by Anonymousreply 50September 26, 2024 3:15 AM

Spain has its own problems. They got rid of the real King of Spain for this this one, Phil 6

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 26, 2024 3:17 AM

Aren’t governmental apologies extremely rare? Everyone but the new President of Mexico realises so many horrible things were done in the past by everyone that there would be no end to the apologising. Does the President plan to issue an apology for human sacrifice?

by Anonymousreply 52September 26, 2024 3:18 AM

[quote] Would anyone want to have lived under the brutal Aztec warriors of Mexico? Not me. Thank God for the Virgin of Guadalupe, who converted the nation to Christianity.

Um, no. There was no sudden conversion under any Virgin of Guadalupe. It was a long and brutal slog of "conversion."

And no, I would not like to live under the Aztecs, but I seriously doubt any of us would want to live in 16th century Spain either. We'd be executed savagely for sodomy or maybe just left to die of some miserable disease or lkilled in some brutal war or burnt for some heretical thought or dead from some other bullshit thing we barely think about today.

by Anonymousreply 53September 26, 2024 3:22 AM

Mexico was very clean. Spaniards were amazed at how clean everything was... R52 an apology to whom exactly for human sacrifice?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 26, 2024 3:23 AM

Who the HELL does the King of Spain think he is!?

by Anonymousreply 55September 26, 2024 3:26 AM

Did she invite Shitler? Are he and Vlad going to meet up like at family weddings in gangster movies and "do a little business"?

by Anonymousreply 56September 26, 2024 3:36 AM

It’s her loss - King Felipe is a total zaddy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 26, 2024 3:46 AM

NOW is her time!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 26, 2024 3:50 AM

[quote]People think the British in school still learn about the glorious nature of British empire and how beneveloent it was. That hasn't been the case in more than a decade. But, in Spain, the idea of the glorious Spanish empire is still dominant.

I prefer a new edition of the Spanish Inquisition than to ever let a woman in my life!

by Anonymousreply 59September 26, 2024 3:55 AM

For fuck's sake.

An official acknowledgement of atrocities committed during the colonial period harms no one and means something symbolically.

And the Spanish did hideous things to the Native peoples.

The idea that the natives committed human sacrifice has been largely discredited. And the ruling class was not the common people (who suffered the most under Spanish rule)

Unlike the relatively sparsely settled US and Canada, Mexico had an ancient urban civilization and a greater portion of its modern population is part or full native.

by Anonymousreply 60September 26, 2024 3:55 AM

She’s such a Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 61September 26, 2024 3:59 AM

THey did, but not the Bourbons.

by Anonymousreply 62September 26, 2024 4:12 AM

[quote] Cracks me up. Should every colony on earth get an apology even when they've failed to govern themselves effectively? Will Maduro be lining up next?

Yes. Colonialism was an offense.

by Anonymousreply 63September 26, 2024 4:22 AM

I’m sorry! Everyone feel better !

by Anonymousreply 64September 26, 2024 4:23 AM

What I find so amusing about this thread is that there's zero discussion that Spain has a Constitutional Monarchy directed by its government. Singling out Felipe makes Claudia look stupid, if indeed she's been directed by someone to say it.

I don't know if or how much Mexico gets foreign aid from Spain. If she threatens Western democracies, she's toast, unlike the idiot in Argentina. His mental illness is Trump-like crazy, but Argentina is essentially a failed state not in our border, so the U.S. isn't that particularly interested in him. He's a blowhard cunt easily disposed of. Obrador was a mini-Trump. Claudia is a little more thorny.

by Anonymousreply 65September 26, 2024 4:34 AM

But was it colonial colonialism?

by Anonymousreply 66September 26, 2024 4:34 AM

[quote] What I find so amusing about this thread is that there's zero discussion that Spain has a Constitutional Monarchy directed by its government.

See r14 and r41.

by Anonymousreply 67September 26, 2024 4:36 AM

Two posts don't amount to a discussion,r67, do they? People prefer taking a shit rather than being objective which appears to be the case on this thread. Can't you tell?

by Anonymousreply 68September 26, 2024 4:46 AM

That’s productive.

by Anonymousreply 69September 26, 2024 4:51 AM

Why aren't they bitching about Americans taking a whole chunk of their country on false pretences? And some of the Founding Fathers actually wanting to conquer it all? That seems a lot more consequential for modern Mexico than the Spanish conquest centuries earlier.

by Anonymousreply 70September 26, 2024 5:39 AM

[QUOTE]taking a whole chunk of their country on false pretences

Rather than being coy, why don't you provide a link instead of passive aggression? You'd probably spur a debate, but that's the last thing you'd want, right?

by Anonymousreply 71September 26, 2024 5:46 AM

UK here, of Irish descent.

There are ways to heal old divisions and address historical wrongdoing without descending to abuse. It takes goodwill on both sides, as well as a willingness to bend.

The Irish President invited Queen Elizabeth to pay a State visit after years of careful negotiation. It turned out to be a spectacular success, and it is widely regarded as transformative. I never in a million years thought this could happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 26, 2024 5:51 AM

[QUOTE]It wasn't HER request - it was President Obrador's request in 2019 to apologize for atrocities against the native people. They had years to craft a reply or statement - but nah.

Well, then shit on Felipe's public image as a new Head of State from Obrador, who was practically Trump Jr.

What an excellent way for a new Head of State to make her mark.

by Anonymousreply 73September 26, 2024 5:53 AM

Obrador believes in cheap housing and universal health care.... Spain is nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 26, 2024 6:23 AM

[quote]And don’t get me started on the Dutch!

Already done, by both PM and King.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 26, 2024 7:22 AM

[QUOTE]Obrador believes in cheap housing and universal health care....

Obrador says shit, just like he told mushbrains that Mexico would "pay for the wall."

Very charming, believable gents - especially the part how a moribund state is supposed to pay for his bullshit promises of housing and Healthcare when his own spill over the border hoping to get away from cheap housing and munificent Healthcare.

When the GOP denies decent health care in our own fucking red states that rejected Obama care, AKA the Affordable Healthcare Act. Trump/Obrador = two peas in a pod.

by Anonymousreply 76September 26, 2024 7:38 AM

Who started this wreck?

by Anonymousreply 77September 26, 2024 9:13 AM

There's going to much fucking Speedy Gonzales shit. Start with this assholes!!!!.

by Anonymousreply 78September 26, 2024 9:18 AM

Felipe and Letizia would class up the joint.

by Anonymousreply 79September 26, 2024 9:37 AM

Oopsh, sho shorree, Shpayn.

by Anonymousreply 80September 26, 2024 10:08 AM

You have an amazing sense of humor, R80.

by Anonymousreply 81September 26, 2024 10:22 AM

One of the reasons you hear more criticism of the British by colonial people is because Britain held onto its empire well into the 20th century, and got rich and stayed rich due to the empire. By the early 19th century, Spain had lost control of most of its possessions. South Asia, the Caribbean and African countries can rightfully argue that Britain's wealth came at the expense of its colonies. But just because Spain hasn't come in for criticism doesn't mean it's not merited.

by Anonymousreply 82September 26, 2024 10:22 AM

The very existence of Mexico, is due to Spain. There would be no Mexico had Spain not created it.

The Indians were not enlaved like the Africans were, no Indians were sold in slaves market and owned by white people. They were treated harshly by the Spaniards but that was the only way to romanized them and bring civilization to them.

English conquerors never had to experience encountering feral and vicious Indians like the Spaniards did in South America and specifically in Central America like Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 83September 26, 2024 11:50 AM

If it weren’t for me, YOU’D BE NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 84September 26, 2024 12:30 PM

Sheinbaum? Now, there's a family tree that's interesting.

She sounds like a lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 85September 26, 2024 12:51 PM

ESL from the Gays and Tennis threads spotted.

by Anonymousreply 86September 26, 2024 1:21 PM

What's romanizing?

by Anonymousreply 87September 26, 2024 1:22 PM

Spain owes us a huge apology too; leaving us with all these foreign sounding colony place names like Boca Raton.

by Anonymousreply 88September 26, 2024 1:36 PM

Italy owes us a huge apology too; leaving us with all these foreign sounding last names like DeSantis.

by Anonymousreply 89September 26, 2024 1:40 PM

R88 Do the Sheinbaums own in Boca?

by Anonymousreply 90September 26, 2024 3:20 PM

Mouth Rat

by Anonymousreply 91September 26, 2024 3:27 PM

[quote]Why aren't they bitching about Americans taking a whole chunk of their country?

Where would they send their rapists, their murderers, their insane?

by Anonymousreply 92September 26, 2024 3:33 PM

R83 - they didn't have to sell them in a market because they didn't have to ship them in.

They DID enslave natives until a law was passed - which then created a system of communal slavery (encomeindas).

And they only did it to 'civilize them' - Jesus Christ - you're both dumb and a racist.

by Anonymousreply 93September 26, 2024 3:40 PM

[quote]Is Mexico’s president considered Jewish [quote]Sheinbaum? Now, there's a family tree that's interesting.

One of those times that a blurb from Wikipedia can answer the most simple questions:

Claudia Sheinbaum Pardo was born on 24 June 1962 to a Mexican Jewish family in Mexico City. Her paternal Ashkenazi grandparents emigrated from Lithuania to Mexico City in the 1920s. Her maternal Sephardic grandparents emigrated there from Sofia, Bulgaria, in the early 1940s to escape the Holocaust. Though raised secular, she celebrated the major Jewish holidays at her grandparents' homes.

[quote]She sounds like a lunatic.

If you are a fellow American, we're potentially on the brink of electing an actual lunatic as president for the second time in eight years. Until then, we've completely lost the moral high ground to criticize other democratically-elected leaders.

by Anonymousreply 94September 26, 2024 4:07 PM

[quote] For fuck's sake.An official acknowledgement of atrocities committed during the colonial period harms no one and means something symbolically. And the Spanish did hideous things to the Native peoples.

I think governments have given this a moment or two of thought, unlike you. You can say it means something and harms no one. The problem is that the world has always been a bit of a hellhole. If every government apologised for everything it had done, there is first a practical problem. For several years, at least, governments will be on an apology tour. Second, you say it will mean something symbolically, but it won’t. If every atrocity gets an apology, the apology quickly turns into a routine, empty gesture You are assuming only your favorite cause (Mexico) gets an apology, but you don’t get that special right. Every mistreated group will deserve an apology, leaving them utterly meaningless. Third, it’s impossible to ensure that you have apologised to every persecuted group. Those left out will rightly feel slighted. Fourth, there us the issue of hypocrisy. Even majority non-European nations have been horrible to people. Why isn’t the President of Mexico concentrating on the tisanes of apologies she undoubtedly needs to make?

I’m glad the Spanish government is not following your naive suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 95September 26, 2024 4:10 PM

R95 - ok, so because there will be too many unnamed undefined apologies in the future that you can't mention, nobody should complain about anything from the past.

Got it. So helpful. Admit and acknowledge nothing - very Trumpian.

by Anonymousreply 96September 26, 2024 4:14 PM

She uninvited someone who's family did something centuries ago, yet he invited Putin who up to this day massacres Ukrainians. Mexico once again being Mexico...

by Anonymousreply 97September 26, 2024 4:36 PM

R95. There are several problems with your literacy—-very Trumpian.

Please cite the passage in my post where I say mo one should complain. That is a product of your illiteracy. Past atrocities should certainly be discussed and studied, and their effects, where possible, remedied.

I notice you don’t address any of the undesirable effects of public apologies that I mention, which are the same reasons most left-leaning governments don’t issue them routinely.

Next time ask yourself if you are just being stupid instead of attributing an odious political philosophy to me.

by Anonymousreply 98September 26, 2024 4:37 PM

Don't forget, r95, it opens up the issue of reparations. If ancestors of Black American slaves want million or two dollars apiece, what would it mean for Indigenous people in Mexico? When their own government has failed them continuously for a couple of centuries...

by Anonymousreply 99September 26, 2024 4:40 PM

[QUOTE]yet she invited Putin who up to this day massacres Ukrainians. Mexico once again being Mexico...

Nothing more needs to be said. To Putin, Mexico is just another poorly-governed central African country Russia believes it can exploit for for their own ends. Like the millions of brown Muslims in Chechnya or Syria Putin tried to bomb into extinction.

by Anonymousreply 100September 26, 2024 4:49 PM

[quote] For fuck's sake.An official acknowledgement of atrocities committed during the colonial period harms no one and means something symbolically. And the Spanish did hideous things to the Native peoples.

Maybe she should first set an example by apologizing for Mexico’s own treatment of its indigenous populations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 26, 2024 5:01 PM

R101 - the Pope calling out injustices, discrimination and illegal activities? Oh my sides!

Anyone venerating the Pope and the Catholic Church are willingly blind idiots.

by Anonymousreply 102September 26, 2024 5:14 PM

[QUOTE]Anyone venerating the Pope and the Catholic Church are willingly blind idiots.

Why do you think this refutes r101's point?

by Anonymousreply 103September 26, 2024 5:26 PM

R93 you clearly are reading too much leyenda negra crap invented by England to sully Spain’’s reputation.

While the encomiendas were indeed a form of abuse, it was no different than the ones many poor Spaniards colonizers had to endure under the protection of the encomendador.

No Indians were ever bought and sold, not only that, they were even encouraged to marry Spaniards , something that was not the case with black prople. English colonizers had a similar system with Irish inmigrants, exploitative and abusive yes, but not slavery. Not only that, many Indians owned black slaves as well and were part of the slave business too and worked as capataces (overseers).

Indians were supposed to be educated and were expected to go to school to learn how to read and write, black people on the other hand were supposed to remain illiterate.

What’s more, it wasn’t just the Spaniards who had an interest in civilizing the Indians but also the Catholic Church.

Those sob stories created by some historians with an agenda, to describe the relationship between Spaniards and Indians, have been more than debunked by serious modern historians.

And last but not least, the writings of Padre de Las Casas have been more than proven to be wrong by modern research.

by Anonymousreply 104September 26, 2024 5:54 PM

Girls, you're all atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 105September 26, 2024 5:55 PM

[quote]It’s her loss - King Felipe is a total zaddy.

Spain is a definite frontrunner for the hottest combo of head of state (King) and head of government (Prime Minister), R57.

by Anonymousreply 106September 26, 2024 6:27 PM

R104 - stop being an apologist for Spain. The Indians were put into enforced labor and were communities 'owned' by landowners. Oh but they weren't bought and sold - they were under forced labor and couldn't leave. Who cares that they weren't bought and sold? You're splitting hairs.

What Indian schools are you fucking talking about? Schools for the kids spawned from landowners and Indians - right? or Catholic institutions to help spread the 'faith'?

The Indians were 'encouraged' to marry Spaniards? You know that the first few waves was just straight up ownership and rape right? That's what happens when you have predominantly male conquistadors - they hook-up with local women because there are no other options.

Your hot take on history is appalling.

Stop washing this with this supposed Spanish benevolence. There were charts of different racial types in Spain to determine your 'level'.

by Anonymousreply 107September 26, 2024 6:29 PM

Mexico is a signatory to the Rome Statutes covering the responsibilities of member states towards persons accused of war crimes, one of which is the arrest and detention of persons indicted by the International Criminal Court. Putin has been indicted by the ICC for abducting and killing Ukrainian children. The court has no police powers and Putin won’t show but if he did and Mexico didn’t arrest him and send him to The Hague for trial, one wonders how seriously the ICC and other signatory states would consider Mexico’s extradition requests in the future.

by Anonymousreply 108September 26, 2024 6:41 PM

Stupid r38 have you heard if the fucking Inquisition? Brits sent pox blankets and slaughtered and enslaved, but even I know the Spanish and Portuguese were vile, it in the name of god too. Portugal was mighty, look at them now, UK in a bit I think.

by Anonymousreply 109September 26, 2024 6:45 PM

The people of Spain don't want to deal anymore with their entire Royalty. Felipe, barely hangs in to what meager semblance of "respectibillity" , influence and titles because his Father, Juan Carlos was forcibly given the boot by the Spanish government to either abdicate to his son, or be prosecuted on a horrible laundry list of ongoing corruption. He should have gone to jail

Now Felipe, the wife, and the pretty girls smile pleasingly for the cameras and pray to God, the people and government of Spain don't get tired of them either and take away all their shiny nice things

I don't blame the President of Mexico at all- who the fuck would be *honored* to have him around?

by Anonymousreply 110September 26, 2024 6:46 PM

Felipe has a 66 percent approval rating

The honor derives from the fact he is the country’s head of state, just like other heads of state who will attend.

by Anonymousreply 111September 26, 2024 7:18 PM

R107 the Indians did the same. The Aztecs own entire tribes and sacrificed them.

The first years of the conquest were indeed bad and cruel but afterwards the Indians assimilated and abandon their religion which had human sacrifice as an essential component not to mention cannibalism,being human meat the main ingredient of pozole.

Many Indians were burned and tortured but so were many Spanish gay men too.

Also, spaniards could not have been successful without the help of many other Indian tribes who were suffering under the oppression of the Aztecs.

by Anonymousreply 112September 26, 2024 7:44 PM

I think this has backfired on her.

Lots mocking her, asking how important the Sheinbaum family was during the Aztec empire.

by Anonymousreply 113September 29, 2024 10:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!