Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Basque-heritage Elordi deemed insufficiently swarthy to play Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights

The character is now understood to be mixed-race or Romani, according to people who have IN THIS HOUSE WE BELIEVE placards in their windows

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 26, 2024 10:29 PM

The character is now understood to be heterosexual also

by Anonymousreply 1September 25, 2024 11:35 AM

Source material considerations aside, there have been so many WH adaptations with white guys at this point – 2011 with Kaya Scodelario had a black one – I don't understand why do it yet again when there so many hot papis in Hollywood to choose from. Or maybe go with Dev Patel, he's hot as hell. Is it all about the money, i.e. box office draw?

by Anonymousreply 2September 25, 2024 11:37 AM

Swarthy? He's as swarthy as Laurence Olivier was. This is nonsensical.

by Anonymousreply 3September 25, 2024 11:39 AM

[quote]Is it all about the money, i.e. box office draw?

Yes, you tard.

by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2024 11:40 AM

r4 = OP = rude little turd who is now blocked to me (again)

by Anonymousreply 5September 25, 2024 11:43 AM

I think R4 is Emerald Fennell!

by Anonymousreply 6September 25, 2024 11:47 AM

R5 lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 25, 2024 11:48 AM

Unless he dances the title song from Kate Bush in the nude, I too have difficulty finding the interest of yet another adaptation. That said, the reason for the protest is beyond ridiculous…

by Anonymousreply 8September 25, 2024 11:50 AM

He sho is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 9September 25, 2024 12:07 PM

So they can turn Anne Boleyn, a real person, black, but they can’t do this?

by Anonymousreply 10September 25, 2024 12:09 PM

Romani is white.

by Anonymousreply 11September 25, 2024 12:09 PM

Nonsense

Tempest in a tea pot

by Anonymousreply 12September 25, 2024 12:11 PM

he sure is hard to look at.

by Anonymousreply 13September 25, 2024 12:15 PM

Imagine this headline: White people outraged that Audra McDonald will be playing Rose in Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 14September 25, 2024 12:54 PM

The character also was known to have a great ass after all that clambering about, and Elordylordy infamously has an ass like two deflated baby volley balls.

by Anonymousreply 15September 25, 2024 12:57 PM

THIS is a Heathcliff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2024 1:42 PM

The imbeciles participating in this campaign are showing their glaring ignorance by clamouring with misguided outrage from the rooftops, about something of which they don't know anything at all. Romani people are some of the most racially diverse ethnic groups there are, with some being quite dark (think about their origins in the Indian subcontinent), while others are blond and blue-eyed. Many of them will be undistinguishable from any other European person, as they are heavily mixed with the local populations of the countries where they've lived most of their lives. Also, Roma people have mixed with, and occasionally become integrated into, other European nomadic ethnic groups such as Irish Travellers, Spanish Mercheros, Central European Yenish and Balkanian Sarakatsani and Aromanians. Thus, it's possible to find Gypsies who have an extremely varied cultural, linguistic, ethnic and racial background.

I am always shocked at how unintelligent, uncurious and uneducated some of the most "progressive" people are - in fact, were it not for the fact of their professed ideology, they would be virtually undistinguishable form the illiterate, narrow-minded, recalcitrantly ignorant Conservative hillbillies they claim to despise. In all seriousness, they're the sort of idiots who think that the term 'Black Irish' is proof that Irish people are historically black. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2024 1:50 PM

[quote] The character is now understood to be mixed-race or Romani,

What are you talking about: "now understood"??? And r17, whether Romani people can be blond or not, in the original novel Heathcliff is repeatedly called dark and swarthy.

Throughout the original 1847 Emily Brontë novel people repeatedly refer to his dark complexion and hair, and ask if he's "Gypsy" (Romani) or "Lascar" (i.e. from South Asia). That's in the original source material.

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2024 1:59 PM

[quote] Swarthy? He's as swarthy as Laurence Olivier was. This is nonsensical.

Laurence Oliver also played Othello on film--in blackface.

By your reasoning, then, since Laurence Olivier set the precedent, it's therefore fine for all future Othellos to be white men in blackface.

by Anonymousreply 19September 25, 2024 2:03 PM

I think they have a point. There are so few characters of color in classic western literature, that to whitewash such characters is a kind of erasure.

by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2024 2:10 PM

[quote] I am always shocked at how unintelligent, uncurious and uneducated some of the most "progressive" people are

And yet here you yourself yammer on and on about this, and yet you have clearly not read or at least do not remember the actual text of the novel this is based on, which contradicts exactly what you've said.

Try to check your actual sources next time, instead of slamming other people in self-congratulatory ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 21September 25, 2024 2:12 PM

Lascar referred to Asiatic sailors and included Arabs and Indians.

Liverpool was an important maritime city. So, probably intended to be the offspring of a Lascarian sailor and Liverpuddian whore.

Still, it’s not like they actually SAID he was.

by Anonymousreply 22September 25, 2024 2:14 PM

Multiple characters in the novel--Edgar's and Isabella's father Mr. Linton, Hindley, Nelly, and Heathcliff himself--repeatedly make note of the fact that he looks non-white because he is so dark and swarthy, and repeatedly speculate if he is not white.

by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2024 2:17 PM

Of course if they did cast a darker-skinned actor, they’d face a backlash for being woke.

by Anonymousreply 24September 25, 2024 3:03 PM

These are the current rules:

Only Blacks can portray Blacks.

Only Hispanics can portray Hispanics.

Only Asians can portray Asians.

Only gays can portray gays.

Only disabled people can portray disabled people.

Anybody can portray whites.

Got it?

by Anonymousreply 25September 25, 2024 3:52 PM

[quote] Imagine this headline: White people outraged that Audra McDonald will be playing Rose in Gypsy.

Does Heathcliff sing in "Wuthering Heights"?! If he does, I would prefer he be played by Audra McDonald.

by Anonymousreply 26September 25, 2024 4:46 PM

Wouldn’t 19th century English country folk consider Basques “swarthy”?

by Anonymousreply 27September 25, 2024 6:16 PM

Jacob plays Sojourner Truth next!

by Anonymousreply 28September 25, 2024 6:21 PM

Jacob Elordi IS Harriet Tubman!

by Anonymousreply 29September 25, 2024 6:38 PM

Except all bets are off in opera, r25.

by Anonymousreply 30September 25, 2024 6:39 PM

I don't understand all the excitement about him, just don't get it

by Anonymousreply 31September 25, 2024 7:05 PM

Jacob has a lovely arse R15

by Anonymousreply 32September 25, 2024 8:18 PM

Jacob drops out and issues an apology in 3.....2......1.

by Anonymousreply 33September 25, 2024 8:21 PM

R14 You are talking about color blind casting which is a beautiful thing. However they don’t do color blind casting of works where race is a central theme of the story or character. I still want it to be him because I love him.

by Anonymousreply 34September 25, 2024 8:27 PM

[quote] Jacob has a lovely arse

Eets flat like a pancake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 25, 2024 8:41 PM

FWIW, Olivier’s blackface Othello was considered distracting, out-of-date and tacky by the time the 60s rolled around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2024 1:22 AM

I don't think he's all that attractive. in no way classically handsome. I find him odd looking.

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2024 2:29 AM

Completely agree, R37.

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2024 2:30 AM

So non-white actors can play ANY race, but white actors can only play white. Got it. Fair to me.

by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2024 2:38 AM

In fairness, Olivier's Othello lost a lot when they cut the Old Man River sequence. It was avante garde for the time and, my God, the way he used his falsetto.

by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2024 2:39 AM

r16 damn right. I watch that version of WH every Christmas with Tom Hardy and Charlotte Riley (who fell in love and later married/are still married) and it makes me tear up every time.

by Anonymousreply 41September 26, 2024 2:40 AM

I count myself among those who think he is gorgeous, but he's gotten so skinny in the last year that he's not as attractive to me. I am assuming the coke habit has spiraled out of control as it always does.

by Anonymousreply 42September 26, 2024 2:42 AM

Heathcliff wasn’t black. Emily Bronte died in 1848 and probably never left Bumfuck, England in her lifetime. I doubt that when she described Heathcliff as having dark skin that she was implying he was some sort of transplant from Nairobi. A white Spaniard would be dark-skinned to her.

by Anonymousreply 43September 26, 2024 2:45 AM

R34 The only works where race is a central theme of the story or character are works about POC. Which is why color blind casting only benefits POC actors.

by Anonymousreply 44September 26, 2024 2:46 AM

OP got lost on the way to a MAGA rally

by Anonymousreply 45September 26, 2024 2:49 AM

[quote] So non-white actors can play ANY race, but white actors can only play white. Got it. Fair to me

Oh Shut the fuck up R39 you're such a whiney little whore. You also don't know how to do any fucking research.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 26, 2024 2:53 AM

r43 what a fucking retard. No said anything about Heathcliff being black.

by Anonymousreply 47September 26, 2024 10:28 PM

R42 I sure hope not. If only I could talk to him personally and get him to just leave that stuff alone. You can never be a functioning coke user.

by Anonymousreply 48September 26, 2024 10:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!