Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

UNLV's quarterback quits because he wasn't given what he was promised by the university

LAS VEGAS (AP) — The starting quarterback for undefeated UNLV announced on social media Tuesday that he will not play in any more games this season.

Matthew Sluka said he will instead use his redshirt year.

“I committed to UNLV based on certain representations that were made to me, which were not upheld after I enrolled," he posted on X, formerly Twitter. "Despite discussions, it became clear that these commitments would not be fulfilled in the future. I wish my teammates the best of luck this season and hope for the continued success of the program.”

The senior has completed 21 of 48 passes for 318 yards, six touchdowns and one interception for the Rebels (3-0) this season. He has also rushed 39 times for 286 yards and a touchdown.

In a 23-20 win over Kansas on Sept. 13, Sluka led the Rebels on an 18-play, 75-yard drive that ended with Kylin James scoring on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line with 1:51 left. Sluka rushed for 113 yards in the game.

UNLV is scheduled to host Fresno State (3-1, 1-0) in its Mountain West Conference opener Saturday.

The senior transfer spent the first four years of his college career at Football Championship Subdivision program Holy Cross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 28, 2024 11:05 AM

What were the commitments promised?

by Anonymousreply 1September 25, 2024 10:07 AM

Earrings. Caftans.

by Anonymousreply 2September 25, 2024 10:08 AM

I'm guessing they promised plastic surgery?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 25, 2024 10:08 AM

[quote] What were the commitments promised?

NCAA sports changed the rules starting this year.

College athletes can now accept gifts, whereas before, that was completely forbidden.

Someone behind the scenes must have promised this kid a shit ton of either money, cars, or something.

And according to his statement, they didn't deliver.

It pissed him off enough to make him quit.

This is different from pro sports, because college athletes don't get salaries. So this "gift" thing can be used as a lure to get them to play for a certain college team.

But there's no contract. Which means that whoever is making the promises doesn't have to deliver.

That's what this kid is saying. They didn't deliver.

Read the comments section of the article, because it sheds a lot of light on this new situation for college athletes.

I predict it's going to be a huge fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2024 10:17 AM

He’s already a fifth year senior who spent five years in high school. How old are these guys?

by Anonymousreply 5September 25, 2024 10:21 AM

[quote]Read the comments section of the article,

Thanks R4 for the response - very informative. I figured it might have been about money. Do you mean read the comments on OP's linked AP article? I'd love to read the comments but I honestly can't find them. I've been up and down the page at least 10 times and can't find a comments section - just a whole lot of ads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 25, 2024 10:38 AM

R6 this article is the one with the comments.

Right below the title of the article (and to the right), you'll see a little comments box with a number next to it.

Right now there are 357 comments about this story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 25, 2024 10:58 AM

PS, in the comments, you'll see "NIL" appear a lot.

That stands for "Name, Image, Likeness."

by Anonymousreply 8September 25, 2024 11:09 AM

Sample comments:

[quote] tammy org

[quote] This shows the importance of a signed contract. The kid learned a valuable life lesson, don't go with a verbal or "handshake" promise.

[quote] Zane

[quote] That's not really how these NIL transfers work. They're very shady in nature. Players are promised X amount of dollars via an NIL collective technically not connected to the University if they would be willing to pick their school. The problem is we've seen these collectives lie or come up short compared to what they said they could do. Then the player rightfully gets angry and if they're in the position to do so like this kid(not really an NFL future) they can fight back by doing exactly what he did. Other kids are legit NFL prospects so they do get lied to but it wouldn't help them using this same tactic because they plan on being in the NFL the very next year rather than sitting out.

[quote] Point being, there are no contracts for portal players to transfer to your school, only promises, as the NCAA wants the appearance of not having a pay to play league even though they've had one well before NIL.

[quote] Zane

[quote] Can I blame him? No. He clearly went in there with promises made to him in what would be his last year of eligibility. They didn't deliver. I'm guessing this is NIL related, and when that floodgate opened, a situation like this was inevitable. The University is making money off of him yet t...

[quote] Thick

[quote] If agreements with him and the college were made in order for him to play there, then I don't blame him.

[quote] Austin Millbarge

[quote] College football is pro football with no salary cap and even less parity.

[quote] Allan

[quote] I think he reverses because they will pay up. They're a nationally ranked team hosting a huge game vs a top conference opponent, Fresno State. The Bulldogs are headed to the PAC10 and more money, UNLV wants in as well and a big win over Fresno State would go a long way. UNLV would be foolish not to...

[quote] Ken

[quote] Translation: He didn't get the money.

[quote] Bob

[quote] Welcome to the new college football.

by Anonymousreply 9September 25, 2024 11:16 AM

Playing a sport like this at the college level has completely changed. It used to be that the college/university gave them an education. No more. They are now semi-professional. As an academic, I am saddened by this turn of events.

As a graduate of a Jesuit high school and university, I am saddened too at this young man's lack of understanding of what the Jesuits hope to instill in their students. He spent his college years or most of them at Holy Cross, yet failed to understand the ethos of becoming a man or woman for others? Sad.

He appears to be a selfish prick.

by Anonymousreply 10September 25, 2024 11:25 AM

Where the dick at?

by Anonymousreply 11September 25, 2024 11:39 AM

Not sure I understand this perfectly, but if they promised him money and then didn’t give him money I’m on his side. If I agreed to take job where there were pretty high odds of long term brain damage and I could experience a career ending injury at any time based on a certain level of compensation, I’d sure as shit need my employer to come though with the money. Even if there weren’t physical consequences I’d expect what I was promised.

That fact that this is taking place at a school doesn’t figure in my assessment. It’s a business. A big business.

If it negatively affects the team and its other members that’s on the party that didn’t keep the promise.

Am I misunderstanding?

by Anonymousreply 12September 25, 2024 12:19 PM

Bitch better have my money.

by Anonymousreply 13September 25, 2024 12:19 PM

There's always OnlyFans.

by Anonymousreply 14September 25, 2024 12:25 PM

So after reading some of the comments in the article at R7 and what was posted at R9, it seems that this might be the root of the problem:

[bold]Players are promised X amount of dollars via an NIL collective technically not connected to the University[/bold] if they would be willing to pick their school. The problem is we've seen these collectives lie or come up short compared to what they said they could do. Then the player rightfully gets angry and if they're in the position to do so like this kid(not really an NFL future) they can fight back by doing exactly what he did.

It seems that whoever promised this guy the money, isn't actually affiliated with UNLV, but rather is part of an "NIL collective" that goes around making promises to these athletes, without the knowledge or consent of the school.

I don't know what kind of people belong to this "collective," but they seem to be lying to these kids and making promises that they have no intention of keeping.

So the takeaway from this story is that players should get these agreements in writing, before committing to play for a certain school. Not only that, but they should consult with the school, to see that everything is on the up-and-up. And then also, they should probably hire a lawyer to make sure that these people can't wiggle out of the contract.

These college students have to start looking at this the way that professional players do, and not how college kids would typically look at this sort of "contract."

They're 18-22 year olds who are being taken advantage of, by unscrupulous assholes.

by Anonymousreply 15September 25, 2024 1:21 PM

Of course, if there is a contract then it is no longer a gift- it's quid pro quo, and not a gift. So no contracts, folks.

by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2024 1:42 PM

He looks 30 with an IQ of 50. Perhaps it's time to move on to the pros, or a sheltered workshop.

by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2024 1:59 PM

He has the ability to look better than in R3's photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2024 2:19 PM

Las Vegas is a cash and carry town. I wish him well.

by Anonymousreply 19September 25, 2024 2:39 PM

So did anyone get fucked?

by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2024 2:41 PM

He’s very sexy and has an athletes body

by Anonymousreply 21September 25, 2024 2:42 PM

These colleges who make all these promises usually promise the player a car, a free place to live, money, and more. His problem was that he didn't get it in writing.

by Anonymousreply 22September 25, 2024 2:48 PM

No, R18.

by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2024 2:50 PM

I think he has a sexy face, but that hair needs some serious work.

by Anonymousreply 24September 25, 2024 3:04 PM

Well built redheads set my loins afire.

by Anonymousreply 25September 25, 2024 3:06 PM

He's no Allan Kayser, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 26September 25, 2024 3:26 PM

[quote]R10 As a graduate of a Jesuit high school and university, I am saddened too at this young man's lack of understanding of what the Jesuits hope to instill in their students. He failed to understand the ethos of becoming a[bold] molester of [/bold]others? Sad.

FTFY

by Anonymousreply 27September 25, 2024 3:37 PM

We haven't even scratched the surface of what happened. UNLV is saying that they fulfilled all their NIL obligations to Sluka. His agent claims that he was promised 100k to transfer and never got it. Sluka became a big name after the Kansas upset. UNLV claims that he got an agent after that game and they were demanding an additional 300k in order for him to continue.

by Anonymousreply 28September 25, 2024 3:45 PM

He deserves every penny promised him!

Unless his face gets smashed in. Then he rates nothing.

by Anonymousreply 29September 25, 2024 3:59 PM

It's changed a lot since I was on a "free ride" scholarship. It's anything but. You didn't ever get all your meals paid for! Yet the university makes millions off the teams. Most players leave school before they've even declared a major. You had to buy some of you equipment yourself. You can't hold an outside job to help ends meet. The system is kind of rigged against you for achieving any kind of meaningful academic success. A lot has changed since the late 90s but it is no joy ride. Most are just using it hoping a pro scout will see them.

by Anonymousreply 30September 25, 2024 4:01 PM

I don't believe he was promised 100k and never got it because he's shown that you pay to play.

by Anonymousreply 31September 25, 2024 4:01 PM

This will eventually destroy all college football. I predict within a generation the hedge funds will come in and form a post-high school four-year league separate from the NFL where all these athletes are paid ridiculously and the do not get an education. It's ripe for re-invention.

by Anonymousreply 32September 25, 2024 4:06 PM

College sports will be owned by companies. Schools and Universities can't keep this up. The non-revenues may be wiped out.

by Anonymousreply 33September 25, 2024 4:08 PM

[quote]R30 It's changed a lot since I was on a "free ride" scholarship. It's anything but.

You were always a “free ride” - all the boys knew it!

by Anonymousreply 34September 25, 2024 4:09 PM

r3, I like gingers, they always shoot large loads and have been fun in the sack.

by Anonymousreply 35September 25, 2024 4:27 PM

[quote] Well built redheads set my loins afire.

No, that's just the gonorrhea.

by Anonymousreply 36September 25, 2024 4:37 PM

Why do they even pretend anymore.

Just create a football "minor league" and let them go directly after high school without bothering with classes and pretending to be students.

Of course, you can still have college football and basketball, but it would revert to the older rules of not being paid professionals with much stricter enforcement.

Sadly, since the majority of these people won't get to play pro sports, they'd spend a few years in the minor league, then have no degree and end up headlining WHET stories of them working minimum wage jobs.

by Anonymousreply 37September 25, 2024 4:48 PM

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

by Anonymousreply 38September 25, 2024 4:54 PM

R37, you are crazy as hell.

With the US setup, most college athletes graduate with some form of a degree that they can leverage when their sports careers ends. Why the hell would anyone advocate for increasing the population of uneducated athletes? The US system is actually better for the players, better for society, and gives each of them something of value, beyond football. Do, a lot of them just use school to further their sports ambitions? Yes, but even pretending to be a student, which requires some educational effort, is better then letting teenagers and early-20 year olds waste their non-sports time doing God knows what.

If you are in the minors and get injured, that's it, no fall back. If you are in college and get injured, you can likely finish out school or at least the semester on your pre-established scholarship (if you have one). But the point is you have more options with a degree then without one.

by Anonymousreply 39September 25, 2024 5:00 PM

R39 has stated her hysterical virtue signaling boundaries

by Anonymousreply 40September 25, 2024 5:04 PM

Very interesting, R28.

So the University of Nevada Las Vegas WAS involved in this "promise" to the student.

I was assuming that they had no knowledge of it.

That means that either the University is lying, and they shorted Sluka $300,000 or Sluka is lying, and he's trying to extort the university.

I'm inclined to believe the quarterback, because there is no way he would have this drastic of a reaction, if he wasn't being treated unfairly.

Quitting the team and letting down all your teammates in the midst of a winning season is a huge deal, and not something a quarterback would take lightly.

by Anonymousreply 41September 25, 2024 5:19 PM

Elevating university sports to such a high (and effectively professional) level is bizarre to me.

by Anonymousreply 42September 25, 2024 5:20 PM

UNLV is claiming that the payment to Sluka was $100,000 from NIL money and that is what was negotiated. They say he tried to extort them from $300,000 or else he'd sit. This becomes even more interesting because if he was indeed paid what was agreed and decided to sit out because they wouldn't pay him more, we're on very shaky ground.

Texas Tech just paid Stanford softball player Nijaree Canady 1.2M for play for them. Aaliyah Chavez, the #1 basketball player in the high school class of 2025 is reportedly asking for more than that and since she's a local girl, TT might just pay it. Remember, these are non-revenue sports we're talking about. This kind of money for a sport that draws so few fans and loses millions every year is simply insane.

by Anonymousreply 43September 25, 2024 5:25 PM

[quote] UNLV is claiming that the payment to Sluka was $100,000 from NIL money and that is what was negotiated. They say he tried to extort them from $300,000 or else he'd sit. This becomes even more interesting because if he was indeed paid what was agreed and decided to sit out because they wouldn't pay him more, we're on very shaky ground.

To quote Mommie Dearest, "The sword.... cuts both ways."

Just as "the collective" can screw over the student, the student can screw over "the collective."

If that's the case, then this is one very SHREWD young man. He's effectively holding the university hostage for more money.

Much like a rentboy whore would do to a closeted rich daddy.

Social Media and especially OnlyFans, has taught GenZ a LOT about how to make fast money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 25, 2024 5:31 PM

R44, and if that's the case, he might also be on the hook for that $100,000. If he has NFL aspirations, it also doesn't look good there either.

by Anonymousreply 45September 25, 2024 5:46 PM

NFL? A 5th year senior with 4 years in the deep college minor leagues at Holy Cross is likely not going to be making big bucks in the NFL

3-0 and he saw a good way to make extra money. It should have worked. That’s chump change at the D1 level.

He is making a move for another year somewhere else for a bigger pay day.. He may have overplayed his hand,

by Anonymousreply 46September 25, 2024 6:08 PM

[quote] NFL? A 5th year senior with 4 years in the deep college minor leagues at Holy Cross is likely not going to be making big bucks in the NFL

Good point.

That's a very good reason to try to get more money out of the college system.

You know that your time playing football is limited, and you know that you'll never make it in the big leagues.

So grab that cash while you're still a hot commodity.

The university should just throw him a bone and pay him.

Give him the money, and let him give you a winning season and possible entry into the PAC-10, which is really what UNLV wants.

The Mountain West league (which UNLV is currently in) is small potatoes. They want to play with the big boys in the PAC-10.

Beating Fresno State in the next game, and having a winning season, would help them with that.

Just give him the fucking money.

Based on how he has played so far, he's worth it.

by Anonymousreply 47September 25, 2024 6:15 PM

What’s his major and/or program?

by Anonymousreply 48September 25, 2024 6:23 PM

[quote]r47 Based on how he has played so far, he's worth it.

Morals are what’s important.

But soulless gingers don’t know about morals.

by Anonymousreply 49September 25, 2024 6:25 PM

If I had $300,000 I would give it to him.

But he'd have to give me something in return. And he'd have to give it to me LONG and HARD.

Based on how he has played his hand so far, I'd say that he might be "amenable" to accepting my offer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 25, 2024 6:30 PM

Greedy Guts.

by Anonymousreply 51September 25, 2024 6:33 PM

[quote] Elevating university sports to such a high (and effectively professional) level is bizarre to me.

College football is a huge commercial enterprise and revenue stream. The athletes get nothing, and are often denied a quality education because of the demands of the program. Add to that the high occurrence of CTE and it is just not worth it for college athletes unless they share in the profits.

by Anonymousreply 52September 25, 2024 6:39 PM

I was curious about what you wrote R52 so I googled Alabama Football's revenue for 2023.

AI came up with this:

[quote] Alabama's football revenue for the 2023 fiscal year was $129.3 million, which was a decrease from the previous year's $130.87 million. The fiscal year ran from July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023.

Granted, Alabama is a top-tier college team, but still.

That's a LOT of fucking money for a college football team to bring in to one university.

by Anonymousreply 53September 25, 2024 6:42 PM

It’s not just an odd play it’s a bad play. He could have played another game, entered the portal, and got paid again at another school.

The problem is not being a greedy whore, this is after all DL, the problem is that he announced to the world he is a greedy whore that would walk away from team mates iduring a season..

He got terrible advice

by Anonymousreply 54September 25, 2024 7:01 PM

R53 if you want to feel better find out how much football profit Holy Cross or UNLV bring in each year.

by Anonymousreply 55September 25, 2024 7:05 PM

This story would be more interesting if he'd been promised regular visits from cute Freshmen twinks at the university.

by Anonymousreply 56September 25, 2024 7:39 PM

in his crotch, Rose @ r11.

by Anonymousreply 57September 25, 2024 7:40 PM

[quote]The athletes get nothing, and are often denied a quality education because of the demands of the program.

Bullshit.

They get admissions to universities they'd otherwise likely never get to attend - many on scholarships which pay tuition and housing.

Most importantly, they get a 4+ year tryout for the pros with an opportunity to show scouts and coaches their skills. Every other job and career doesn't give you a 4 year opportunity to show what you can do. Goldman Sach and McKinsey certainly don't, nor do any private equity firms or hedge funds (which are effectively the business equivalent economically of going pro).

by Anonymousreply 58September 25, 2024 7:58 PM

Goldman Sachs and McKinsey do give people try outs. It’s called an “internship.” And they usually don’t cause brain damage.

by Anonymousreply 59September 25, 2024 8:02 PM

[quote] Goldman Sachs and McKinsey do give people try outs. It’s called an “internship.” And they usually don’t cause brain damage.

Unless you count the numerous bumps of coke these "interns" are doing, while working for these companies.

by Anonymousreply 60September 25, 2024 8:16 PM

The time demands for any d1 college sports type, no matter the sport, is off the charts. They virtually have no break.

If it’s a spring sport they have fall ball which includes games and travel , practice, strength and conditioning.

Winter is more strength and conditioning.

A full Spring full of the above and plus lots more games and worst of all lots of travel..

Two people walk in for a job interview. They are reasonably close in resume. The one who played sports will be the one hired.

Sports is pressure, stress, teamwork, and time management. It’s also about leadership.

The sports guys and gals are in demand,.

by Anonymousreply 61September 25, 2024 8:17 PM

I’m just so glad we allowed big money interest to completely destroy college football. Ha ha. It’s like the old song “Gloria”. Feel your innocence slippin’ away/ Don’t believe it’s comin’ back soon.

by Anonymousreply 62September 25, 2024 8:21 PM

R62

College football + Innocence.

We were the last innocent national football power

by Anonymousreply 63September 25, 2024 8:27 PM

Big money was always there. It was just hidden. Now that everyone is getting it, it's no longer sustainable.

by Anonymousreply 64September 25, 2024 8:39 PM

R64 What’s not sustainable? The only difference today vs 20 or 30 years ago is that players are being paid directly and legally by sources or businesses outside the school via NIL.

The NIL makes it a lot harder on the schools and the coaches.

The Big House at Michigan will have 100,000+ in attendance every home game and many many millions of dollars will be spent on advertising for college football esp on TV. College sports is a many billion dollar business.

And for football it keeps getting more popular.

by Anonymousreply 65September 25, 2024 8:51 PM

He's got nice shoulders but I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts he's a Jesus freak.

by Anonymousreply 66September 25, 2024 9:33 PM

R66 types like a black female Jew. How close was I? Do I win any dollars or donuts?

by Anonymousreply 67September 25, 2024 9:40 PM

R58, you could have avoided your whole post if you had just googled what percentage of college football players make it to the NFL -- 1.6%. Significantly less than their lifetime odds that YOU will solicit them for sex work.

by Anonymousreply 68September 25, 2024 11:56 PM

This article discusses some similar cases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 26, 2024 12:30 AM

Get a job, you stupid bum.

by Anonymousreply 70September 26, 2024 12:40 AM

R53

The University of Texas athletics program – always among the nation’s most financially powerful – again has gone to another level: It had just over $271 million in operating revenue during its 2023 fiscal year, according to its new annual revenue-and-expenses report to the NCAA.

😵‍💫

by Anonymousreply 71September 26, 2024 12:52 AM

Why is this news? This happens all the time.

by Anonymousreply 72September 26, 2024 12:54 AM

[quote]The former Holy Cross transfer was verbally promised a minimum of $100,000 during his recruitment but only saw a $3,000 relocation fee, his agent Marcus Cromartie of Equity Sports told On3.

[quote]Cromartie said that an offensive assistant offered the financial package. “I know that it’s happened in two different SEC programs that I consider to be very well run,” an NIL collective operator said about the UNLV situation. “It’s a challenge. Coaches and assistant coaches make promises that nobody is familiar with or aware of. It’s more prevalent than people might be aware of.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 28, 2024 11:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!