Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tropical Storm Hélène here

You do not pronounce the H!

EH

LENN

Je suis trés elegantes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 28, 2024 5:25 PM

Who comes up with these names? They're so destructive they should be named Brutus, Medusa, Hades, Thor, or some other scary name that will send people running.

by Anonymousreply 1September 24, 2024 3:59 PM

[quote]You do not pronounce the H!

Mais oui, bien sûr. Tout comme « Hélènesque ».

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 24, 2024 4:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 24, 2024 4:13 PM

Hope it slam fuks Flawduh. It should be named Kamala

by Anonymousreply 4September 24, 2024 4:15 PM

Fuck that! The whole point is the H! It's alphabetical!

by Anonymousreply 5September 24, 2024 4:58 PM

Hélène is supposed to be visiting hubby and me by late Wednesday.

I am so thrilled.

by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2024 5:19 PM

Oh, stop that, R4. There are some decent people here who deserve not to be hit. Like me. My place is on the rightmost side of the "cone of uncertainty" (AFAIK, that's the "bad side" of a hurricane). I'm thinking of battening down the hatches and heading to a hotel room in Daytona or Ormond Beach with my little dog. We'll see -- so far, I doubt it will be necessary. If it follows the current predicted path, it will be here on Thursday.

Nobody here ever prepares for a hurricane, but I do. My freezer is chock full of plastic bottles full of ice to keep my frozen food from defrosting when the power goes off (because it almost always does), and I have an extra battery for my cell phone and a weather radio. And some good flashlights and lots of spare batteries. No way to cook, though.

I still have a lot to do, but I'm so lazy I haven't even taken a shower yet. I need to get motivated.

by Anonymousreply 7September 24, 2024 5:22 PM

Good luck SL

by Anonymousreply 8September 24, 2024 5:30 PM

Helene is a fat bitch. 400 miles wide.

by Anonymousreply 9September 24, 2024 5:47 PM

[quote]Je suis trés elegantes!

oh, chérie

by Anonymousreply 10September 24, 2024 6:52 PM

Fuck -- that's what got me before, a fat one (Irma) that came right up the center of the state, drawing power from both the Gulf [bold]and[/bold] the Atlantic. I had to evacuate to the (20 miles away) local high school with my little dog, who had never been in a crate before, poor baby.

Hell, I moved to the center of the state so I wouldn't have to deal with hurricanes (or rising sea levels), but the best laid plans, yada yada yada.

[bold]Wow! Good news[/bold] -- for me, anyway. I just checked the ol' cone, and it's tracking a teeny bit to the west of the initial forecast (which I knew it would), so I'll likely only see tropical storm force winds. And if you live in FL and can't handle a tropical storm, shame on you.

Still, it will hit the Panhandle, like it usually does, so good luck to all the DLers living in that area.

by Anonymousreply 11September 24, 2024 7:00 PM

If you don’t pronounce the H it is a poor choice to represent the letter H.

by Anonymousreply 12September 24, 2024 7:51 PM

Good luck R7.

by Anonymousreply 13September 24, 2024 8:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2024 8:25 PM

Oh là là! Je suis une hurricaine maintenant!

URRI

KEN

EL

ENN

by Anonymousreply 15September 25, 2024 4:19 PM

Thoughts and prayers going out to the DeSantis Family during this difficult and uncertain time. Pensées et prières vont à la famille DeSantis pendant cette période difficile et incertaine.

by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2024 4:32 PM

zut alors!

by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2024 4:44 PM

Wind speed 35-40 right now. Looks like Helene's going to be wider -- and worse -- than I thought. As long as the power stays on, I'm happy.

Prediction now for 70mph tomorrow. I can hardly wait.

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2024 8:35 PM

It sounds very hair care product.

by Anonymousreply 19September 25, 2024 8:38 PM

Did Louis Vuitton buy some satellites?

by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2024 8:38 PM

There's only one star of this tropical storm system, and that's me, baby: Hurricane Hélène! Remember?

by Anonymousreply 21September 25, 2024 8:41 PM

These storms always take a last minute turn and become nothing. I understand the media covering it to get people out of POTENTIAL harm's way, but the hysteria leading up to landfall has become embarrassing. Watch, this will be the one that destroys Florida to smithereens. I'll be sure to apologize if that happens.

by Anonymousreply 22September 25, 2024 8:43 PM

Straight men are drawn to French putain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2024 9:14 PM

Good luck senior lesbian, please keep in touch with us as your electricity / Internet access allows.

by Anonymousreply 24September 25, 2024 9:21 PM

[quote]Who comes up with these names?

The National Weather Service.

[quote]They're so destructive they should be named Brutus, Medusa, Hades, Thor, or some other scary name that will send people running.

Many of them peter out and are never all that destructive, and they have to have the names chosen before they form.

And, they're just trying to identify them, not increase the sense of high drama!

by Anonymousreply 25September 25, 2024 9:23 PM

Keep us informed R6, like PR guy did a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 26September 25, 2024 9:26 PM

Kimmy Schmidt did a very funny send up of these named hurricanes and media exaggerations.

Weatherman Drench Thunderman and Hurricane Tammi with an I!

by Anonymousreply 27September 25, 2024 9:41 PM

Will do, R24. A couple of bands blew through here pretty quickly this afternoon. But the bad winds are now supposed to be tomorrow afternoon/evening. Up to 70 mph, so they say.

I parked my truck completely under my carport, and covered my motorcycle and my electric riding mower (they live under the carport all the time anyway). The NBC channel out of Orlando has been covering the storm all day, but the people stand right the fuck in front of my county, so I can't see that much. The west side of the county actually has a hurricane warning; I live closer to the east side, where the wind speed is supposed to be right at the upper level of a tropical storm.

My biggest worry, besides losing power, is my yard. I have a half acre yard full of trees, including three very tall long-needled pines, a bald cypress (next to the swamp) and seven huge, gnarly live oaks. I like the trees. They provide lots of shade. But small limbs have been falling all summer even in regular storms. It will probably cost at least 5K to get all of them properly trimmed, and I am determined not to spend my "if Trump wins, I'm leaving the country" money until Kamala wins. Then trimming the trees is on my list.

So, nothing now. All is calm. I'll keep you posted, and thanks for asking.

by Anonymousreply 28September 25, 2024 10:00 PM

[quote] Helene is a fat bitch. 400 miles wide.

So she'll fit right in in Florida!

by Anonymousreply 29September 25, 2024 10:09 PM

My family once had a small beach house in Naples in the late 1970s, others had a place in Brooksville, closer to Orlando and I think my cousins still use it, close to Orlando. Is that near you, Senior Lesbian? In those days rattlesnakes were the big caution.

by Anonymousreply 30September 25, 2024 10:40 PM

I’m tying my trailer to my 1969 Cadillac as we speak. That thing weighs a ton!

by Anonymousreply 31September 25, 2024 10:46 PM

My sister has a winter place in Brooksville, but that's about an hour and 45 minutes southwest from my place. It's also close to the Gulf.

But she and her husband seem to like it there. They go to Weeki Wachee a lot to go kayaking, and my sister's taken some incredible photos of manatees, alligators, and otters. All from her kayak!

She's still "up Home" now. Too early to come down for them.

by Anonymousreply 32September 25, 2024 10:57 PM

It seems to hit all the right spots, I hope death and destruction, you reap what you sow

by Anonymousreply 33September 25, 2024 11:00 PM

I haven't felt this much mussy surge since the Ramada sign nearly took out the beloved abinette Anderson Cooper! I love a hurricane! Team Helenesque!

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2024 12:02 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2024 12:02 AM

I have a 5th floor condo on a shelter island about 45 minutes south of Tampa. All residents was ordered to evacuate this morning. City water supply shut down at 3:00pm. Bridges to and from the Island now closed. My condo is vacant now, storm shutters are down tight. Building is about 300 feet from the Gulf, right on the Gulf.

by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2024 12:20 AM

R36, I'm not clear, did you leave?

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2024 12:30 AM

r37, I don't live in Florida, it was my parents winter home, I inherited it and have been renting it out in high season for years.

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2024 12:33 AM

[quote]I have a 5th floor condo on a shelter island about 45 minutes south of Tampa. All residents was ordered to evacuate this morning. City water supply shut down at 3:00pm. Bridges to and from the Island now closed. My condo is vacant now, storm shutters are down tight. Building is about 300 feet from the Gulf, right on the Gulf.

Good luck to you, r36. Where did you go?

by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2024 12:33 AM

My chronically homeless brother lives in Florida somewhere if I cared enough to know I could just look him up on the sex offender registry. Every time one of these storm hits I kind of help his stupid ass will drown so I can have a few days off work to be bereved about it.

by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2024 12:35 AM

Hélène est idiote et grosse!

by Anonymousreply 41September 26, 2024 12:38 AM

[quote] —I'm fucked.

Well, you already were, since you own property in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 42September 26, 2024 12:43 AM

A twenty foot storm surge is expected. Run, now!

by Anonymousreply 43September 26, 2024 12:43 AM

r40, family members are chronic disappointments, aren't they?

by Anonymousreply 44September 26, 2024 12:44 AM

Hélène, by the lovely Roch Voisine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 26, 2024 12:50 AM

aghhh, I posted the wrong vid, one more time ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 26, 2024 12:52 AM

[quote]I haven't felt this much mussy surge since the Ramada sign nearly took out the beloved abinette Anderson Cooper! I love a hurricane! Team Helenesque!

I remember watching that live during Hurricane Dennis. Can't believe its been 19 years since then. I hope he was reimbursed by Ramada Inn for the trauma caused by the renegade sign that tried to take him out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 26, 2024 1:13 AM

That Ramada sign is my Princess Diana scream! Category 5 mussification!

by Anonymousreply 48September 26, 2024 1:25 AM

Won't somebody think of the manatees?

by Anonymousreply 49September 26, 2024 2:00 AM

Hélène est une salope affamée. La sale pute !

by Anonymousreply 50September 26, 2024 2:13 AM

[quote]Won't somebody think of the manatees?

They're already the state's official marine mammal and we named a whole county after them. That ain't enough?

by Anonymousreply 51September 26, 2024 2:19 AM

Gotta love the DLers who deemed the name Helene "too plain" and decided to fancy it up with multiple accents.

by Anonymousreply 52September 26, 2024 2:26 AM

Thanks Senior Lesbian R32. Best of luck to you and your trees. Please keep us posted, we're thinking of you.

by Anonymousreply 53September 26, 2024 2:46 AM

My county -- Marion -- just got upgraded to a hurricane warning.

Fuck.

Just finished cleaning up the porch -- putting the chairs sideways, putting all the loose stuff in 5 gallon buckets, and laying down the brooms and rake on the floor. Next I need to pick up all the loose stuff under the carport, mostly tools, oil, chain lubricant, and other motorcycle-associated stuff. I have a very raggedy shed, so I'll put that stuff in there.

I'd really like to go out and buy food that doesn't need to be cooked/refrigerated, but the thought of the crowds and the parking lot... I could stand to lose about 10 lbs. anyway.

Gotta get back to work. Thanks for thinking of me.

by Anonymousreply 54September 26, 2024 1:09 PM

People are calling the storm Hurricane Helen! It is an insult to the entire French-speaking world!

by Anonymousreply 55September 26, 2024 1:13 PM

Je tremble tout simplement la colère !

by Anonymousreply 56September 26, 2024 1:50 PM

Stay away from Dollywood, you bitch!

by Anonymousreply 57September 26, 2024 1:51 PM

Hélène? How pretentious. In Key West we once had Hurricane "Georges". You could only pronounce it correctly if you were drunk. As we were.

Stay safe, ya Northern, sober hicks.

by Anonymousreply 58September 26, 2024 2:02 PM

There's going to be storm-surge flooding from the hurricane. Is Ron DeSantis polishing his knee-high boots in preparation for surveying the damage?

by Anonymousreply 59September 26, 2024 6:23 PM

r59, you're a little late for this. At least two others came up with this devastating bon mot already.

Do keep up!

by Anonymousreply 60September 26, 2024 6:33 PM

Helene is the Chrissy Metz of hurricanes, extremely large and extremely hungry.

by Anonymousreply 61September 26, 2024 6:35 PM

We have wondered this. Like the Germans? Or like the french?

by Anonymousreply 62September 26, 2024 6:41 PM

[quote]R59, you're a little late for this. At least two others came up with this devastating bon mot already. Do keep up!

I think you may be confusing this thread with another one as I actually read the thread before posting, R60. Nothing I said had been mentioned prior to my post. Please keep in mind that some subjects have multiple threads with lots of replies and it appears that you should keep up enough to realize the difference.

by Anonymousreply 63September 26, 2024 7:30 PM

Fl. East coast. Just walked to my beach. Heavy surf but sun shining brightly. Nothingburger so far.

by Anonymousreply 64September 26, 2024 7:59 PM

[quote]Tropical Storm Hélène here. You do not pronounce the H! EH LENN Je suis trés elegantes!

Well, if it isn't old Helen Back blowing in from God knows where, making a big mess, and then taking her worn-out flooded ass to the East Coast.

Damn! Damn! Damn!

by Anonymousreply 65September 26, 2024 8:03 PM

Ok Helen!

by Anonymousreply 66September 26, 2024 8:04 PM

Waffle House has shut down in Tallahassee! Waffle House!

This. Is. Serious. Now.

by Anonymousreply 67September 26, 2024 10:31 PM

Just upgraded to a Category 4.

by Anonymousreply 68September 26, 2024 10:38 PM

The storm of the century! Record flooding! Catastrophic damage!

I’ve lived in Florida 35+ years. You get hurricane fatigue with this shit.

(Yes, if you’re on the coastline things can get bad)

by Anonymousreply 69September 26, 2024 10:42 PM

Night hurricanes must be all the more scarier.

by Anonymousreply 70September 26, 2024 10:52 PM

R70 they are because when the power goes out you can’t see. You can only hear what the wind and rain are doing.

by Anonymousreply 71September 26, 2024 10:54 PM

It's now a Category 4.

by Anonymousreply 72September 26, 2024 11:03 PM

Will it strengthen into a category 5?

by Anonymousreply 73September 26, 2024 11:04 PM

[quote]Will it strengthen into a category 5?

I certainly hope so by 8 o'clock!

by Anonymousreply 74September 26, 2024 11:07 PM

[quote] It's now a Category 4.

Size queen.

by Anonymousreply 75September 26, 2024 11:11 PM

Senior Lesbian? Check in

by Anonymousreply 76September 26, 2024 11:12 PM

I have no interest in anything under a five. And, frankly, if it weren't a hurricane I wouldn't even consider a five. I mean, come on.

by Anonymousreply 77September 26, 2024 11:13 PM

Getting windier here. If I had to guess, I'd say there's gusts around 40mph (so far). No rain, though. Yet.

Still have power -- yippee!

My ancient decrepit jalousie windows that have never closed the whole way are rattling when the wind hits them. Hope they don't get blown to shreds because they're 1972 glass and we old folks know how that stuff breaks -- in evil shards.

But as long as I have electricity, I'm happy.

There are kids playing outside. An air boat went through the swamp a couple of hours ago. I heard older kids riding mini bikes up and down the roads. Nobody here ever worries about much of anything, I guess. Deplorable Haven, I'm tellin' ya.

But it's dark out now, so there won't be any more of that.

Now I'm seeing predictions of gusts up to 60. That should be OK. Keep your fingers crossed.

by Anonymousreply 78September 26, 2024 11:31 PM

Yikes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 26, 2024 11:31 PM

CNN's John Berman is in Florida. They should send Brianna. She's got the ballast to withstand the winds.

by Anonymousreply 80September 26, 2024 11:54 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 27, 2024 12:03 AM

[quote]CNN's John Berman is in Florida. They should send Brianna. She's got the ballast to withstand the winds.

Bet they miss me now!

by Anonymousreply 82September 27, 2024 12:04 AM

Those of us in the elder community will remember that, back in the day, hurricanes were given female names only. I definitely think that such storms have become more violent since they started using men’s names.

by Anonymousreply 83September 27, 2024 12:51 AM

[quote]Those of us in the elder community will remember that, back in the day, hurricanes were given female names only. I definitely think that such storms have become more violent since they started using men’s names.

Literal Violence!

by Anonymousreply 84September 27, 2024 12:57 AM

Thanks for checking in Senior Lesbian, stay safe and good luck!

by Anonymousreply 85September 27, 2024 12:57 AM

Poor Anderson, he must be so tired of asking the very same questions for every hurricane he's had to cover in his career.

"where do we expect the hurricane to make landfall?" - he's asked that like 10 times already tonight

by Anonymousreply 86September 27, 2024 1:01 AM

For those who may lose power, blast your a/c now and make your house freezing cold so that when the power goes out it will take longer for the house to get hot.

by Anonymousreply 87September 27, 2024 1:04 AM

The "H" is silent, like my name "Ee-LAIR-ee-ah"

by Anonymousreply 88September 27, 2024 1:22 AM

The tv news people are pronouncing it HELLEEN. I'm good with that.

by Anonymousreply 89September 27, 2024 1:31 AM

Jim Cantore is wet.

My partner and I, along with many of you, have grown old with Jim.

by Anonymousreply 90September 27, 2024 1:34 AM

[quote]Helene is a fat bitch. 400 miles wide.

So Svelte!

by Anonymousreply 91September 27, 2024 1:37 AM

Doing it now, R87. But at this point I'm hopeful the power will stay on.

My lights flickered three or four more times, and my internet (Spectrum, may they rot in hell) went off for about a minute, but everything seems to be OK right now.

If you're in/from the Panhandle, I'm thinking about you. Steinhatchee (are there gays there?) and Chiefland and Live Oak and Cedar Key and Lake City and Monticello, hang in there! We at DL are rooting for you!

by Anonymousreply 92September 27, 2024 1:41 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 27, 2024 1:54 AM

I will pray for Florida. The people most likely to be impacted by disaster are the ones who are least deserving of hardship. The hateful ones always survive unscathed.

by Anonymousreply 94September 27, 2024 4:21 AM

Senior Lesbian are you ok?

by Anonymousreply 95September 27, 2024 4:24 AM

Helene?

Qui etait cette cunt?

by Anonymousreply 96September 27, 2024 4:25 AM

#93, is that Sean Penn?

by Anonymousreply 97September 27, 2024 4:33 AM

WaWa grand opening was note postponed!

by Anonymousreply 98September 27, 2024 5:53 AM

Note postoponed?

by Anonymousreply 99September 27, 2024 12:39 PM

Senior lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 100September 27, 2024 6:36 PM

Where's Rhonda?

by Anonymousreply 101September 27, 2024 11:43 PM

Hey, R100, and everyone else concerned! I only lost my power for 20 minutes but I lost my internet for awhile. Since I run not just my computer, but my cell phone off the internet ('cause I live in the boonies), I've been incommunicado. But other than a few small-enough-for-me-to-drag branches that fell down, and the usual Spanish Moss strewn over the yard, everything was/is fine.

Plenty of my neighbors did lose their power, though, and my father in St. Pete lost his power [bold]and[/bold] water. The trailer park has a septic system, and if there is even minor flooding, the tap water gets contaminated (don't ask me how that happens - I don't know). I haven't checked on him yet this morning; hopefully, he and his S.O. will go somewhere where there's air conditioning to get out of the heat.

Thanks for thinking of me, guys! And I hope everybody else on DL affected by this storm is alive and well.

by Anonymousreply 102September 28, 2024 1:20 PM

Thanks for letting us know you're OK, senior lesbian!

by Anonymousreply 103September 28, 2024 1:59 PM

Is this the thread where we enjoy the misfortunes of Florida?

by Anonymousreply 104September 28, 2024 2:55 PM

Not really r104, mostly to enjoy what Senior Lesbian is encountering, it's fascinating what you need to do to endure a hurricane.

by Anonymousreply 105September 28, 2024 3:41 PM

Helene has wreaked havoc across four other states: Georgia, the Carolinas, Tennessee. Do any DLers live in those affected areas?

by Anonymousreply 106September 28, 2024 3:42 PM

No real misfortune this time for me, R104. Lots more for folks north and west of me, though -- and the people on the Gulf. That's why I don't live in St. Pete anymore.

That's where these hurricanes seem to be going now, the Panhandle and the "Big Bend" (that's a recent moniker). If I lived in any of those areas, I'd be thinking about leaving for sure.

by Anonymousreply 107September 28, 2024 3:47 PM

Senior lez, did you float or sink, that's important for us to know.

by Anonymousreply 108September 28, 2024 3:51 PM

I spend little time on Facebook these days, but it does have one good feature: you can post your status during emergencies. I've done that during hurricanes so friends know without calling to check on me that I'm in good shape.

by Anonymousreply 109September 28, 2024 5:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!