Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: meet me in St. Louis?

Ding, ding, ding went the bell… I never saw myself living in St. Louis, Missouri, but I feel like I could be very happy in a space like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 26, 2024 7:14 AM

Good Lord that is one boring grey yawn. He may be a weird albino, but Anderson Cooper knew how to trick out a firehouse.

by Anonymousreply 1September 24, 2024 1:12 AM

Sorry, boys -- I don't think it comes with the firemen.

Still interested?

by Anonymousreply 2September 24, 2024 1:14 AM

Is this a rescue house?

by Anonymousreply 3September 24, 2024 1:15 AM

I like it. I don’t love it. According to the photographs they appear to have spared no expense refinishing some of the spaces. But these are contrasted with spaces that they didn’t refinish and just seem to paint, or clean. So it’s a weird mishmash.

by Anonymousreply 4September 24, 2024 1:17 AM

I would change the paint color of some of the interior, but overall I like it.

by Anonymousreply 5September 24, 2024 1:24 AM

I actually like how the back garage opens into the space.

by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2024 1:24 AM

I hate sliding doors.

by Anonymousreply 7September 24, 2024 1:25 AM

WIth R5. I really like it except for the overuse of gray which R1 noted.

$1.65M seems a lot though. You are paying for the novelty of course, but still.

by Anonymousreply 8September 24, 2024 1:27 AM

The rooftop patio is nice, but for that much money in St. Louis I would want a yard with some big old trees.

by Anonymousreply 9September 24, 2024 1:31 AM

Imagine the utility bills for a place that cavernous.

by Anonymousreply 10September 24, 2024 1:33 AM

For the same price you could get a painted lady directly on Lafayette Square with small front and rear yards.

Address @OP is a @2 blocks from the park.

by Anonymousreply 11September 24, 2024 1:35 AM

Who would pay $1.7 million to live in St. Louis?

by Anonymousreply 12September 24, 2024 1:48 AM

I love everything about that place. I've also heard that St. Louis is a very liveable place.

by Anonymousreply 13September 24, 2024 1:49 AM

Where’s the pole?

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2024 1:53 AM

I wondered the same thing!

by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2024 2:04 AM

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, this entire neighborhood was scheduled to be bulldozed for construction of Interstate 755. Luckily residents along the entire route protested and eventually the plan was dropped.

Unfortunately they weren't able to stop construction of Interstate 44 which cuts off Lafayette Square from neighborhoods immediately to the south, as well as disrupting other neighborhoods like Compton Heights, Shaw, Tiffany and The Hill.

by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2024 2:23 AM

Meh .... Too dangerous

by Anonymousreply 17September 24, 2024 2:24 AM

Compton Heights?!

I can live in the flats of Compton just fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 24, 2024 2:28 AM

[Quote] I've also heard that St. Louis is a very liveable place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 24, 2024 2:32 AM

You don't want to live in St. Louis.

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2024 2:55 AM

Looks like the lair of a torturer and serial killer who has a mild-mannered day job persona.

by Anonymousreply 21September 24, 2024 3:16 AM

“0hh, Mister Neeeeeeeeeeerluuuueeeeeeeyyyeeeee…!!?!

by Anonymousreply 22September 24, 2024 3:52 AM

I have a sudden urge to make homemade ketchup!

by Anonymousreply 23September 24, 2024 4:09 AM

The ground floor ceiling seems very, very low. How did a fire truck fit in there?

by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2024 5:05 AM

[quote] they appear to have spared no expense refinishing some of the spaces.

Looks like they spared some expenses on this room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 24, 2024 5:09 AM

[quote] I hate sliding doors.

Actual, proper, sliding doors (like pocket doors) are a very nice and expensive detail. What's in this house are cheap-looking barn-style doors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 24, 2024 5:11 AM

I see the appeal, but in the end it's down to two very specific markets:

1.) the St. Louis tech titan house for a 40-pushing-50-something man to fill with strange 'You'll never guess how much I spent on this!' man toys and a dozen matching oversized Chesterfield sofas, a cigar room, and a wine tasting room;

2.) the rich artist who wants an expansive studio/gallery/living space to be very assertively arty and expansive and throwing big parties.

I like big open living spaces, but for $1.65M in St. Louis, this isn't luxurious enough to have a big cavernous space with Home Depot finishes above a large studio space that will always smell of paint or be filled with the dust of a sculptor. And I have no idea how many tech titans St. Louis has who want to play out 'Industry' fantasies.

If I had to live in St. Louis, I would take two-thirds of that money and buffer myself against the indignities of St. Louis with a much more conventional but luxurious house on a beautiful private street in the Central West End. It's only 69% the size of the firehouse conversion, but still big at nearly 5000sf, and the plan and detailing is flexible enough to adapt the spaces to different uses and tastes. De-papering that floral bathroom and re-painting that black/green living room, it would be a beautfiful house with only better furniture and art. With the $561,000 I saved, I'd buy a place in Europe and spend half the year there to put a better face on living half my life in St. Louis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 24, 2024 6:03 AM

I'm not paying that much to bear the consequences at the St Louis metro area's historic mistakes. What a fucked up place.

by Anonymousreply 28September 24, 2024 6:44 AM

I like it, but I would get rid of that ugly garage door on the front and change it to a multi-paned window. I'm okay with all the grey, but I would put some serious splashes of color all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 29September 24, 2024 10:04 AM

Number one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 24, 2024 5:16 PM

I'm not a fan of these modern, white and glass centric, open floor plan places. I know some people love it, no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 31September 24, 2024 5:20 PM

The data at R30 is last year's data. Things have changed a bit since then. These are the top 20 cities with the highest murder rates in 2024. Some cities have moved way down the list in the last year. St. Louis is still #1 however.

Murder Rate (per 100k)

St. Louis, MO 69.4

Baltimore, MD 51.1

New Orleans, LA 40.6

Detroit, MI 39.7

Cleveland, OH 33.7

Las Vegas, NV 31.4

Kansas City, MO 31.2

Memphis, TN 27.1

Newark, NJ 25.6

Chicago, IL 24.0

Cincinnati, OH 23.8

Philadelphia, PA 20.2

Milwaukee, WI 20.0

Tulsa, OK 18.6

Pittsburgh, PA 18.4

Indianapolis, IN 17.7

Louisville, KY 17.5

Oakland, CA 17.1

Washington, D.C. 17.0

Atlanta, GA 16.7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 25, 2024 12:01 PM

Too big. Why so many bathrooms.

I once had a job offer in St. L but was put off with by the humidity, the lack of good close-by getaways, and the limited number of truly walkable, affordable neighborhoods. You really need a car there.

City wide homicide rates are of limited use--these crimes usually tend to be localized within cities and easily spill into suburban areas--the distinction between city and suburb is increasingly blurred in many areas.

by Anonymousreply 33September 25, 2024 2:17 PM

St. Louis....blech.

by Anonymousreply 34September 25, 2024 2:18 PM

Ralston-Purina?

It’s Nestlé now. SL is but a stepping stone to a happy expat life in Switzerland!

by Anonymousreply 35September 25, 2024 5:00 PM

Look at how many murders in Pittsburgh — like a failed state.

Just one more reason to avoid the flyover sewer.

by Anonymousreply 36September 25, 2024 6:32 PM

R25, it's completely staged. It's staged with really cheap furnishings and decor. Target has nicer decor than what is used in this firehouse

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2024 3:24 AM

St. Louis, MO 69.4

Baltimore, MD 51.1

Holy shit, it's worse than Baltimore? I almost got murdered in Baltimore. It's a COMPLETE SHIT HOLE. And evidently as bad as it is, it's not even as close to being as bad as St Louis? I can't imagine anything worse than Baltimore. And I've lived all over NYC during the 80s & 90s

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2024 3:37 AM

Very cool but all that cold, ugly grey would have to go and some of the flooring looks a bit rough and dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2024 4:01 AM

More and more strongly all the time I realize that if you relocate you need to be very sure you want to live in the *place*, not only the building you’re considering in that place, however quaint the building is or however much exposed brick it has.

I’m buying what I could afford to buy in a town I don’t like. I regret being here but the reason I chose to be still holds: I couldn’t afford to buy in either of the two places I’d have liked to live.

If I had $1,000,000+ to spend on a home, I wouldn’t need five seconds to consider whether or not St. Louis was the place I wanted to move to.

by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2024 4:11 AM

Ouch. The St. Louis murder rate is 11,094% higher than my city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 26, 2024 6:57 AM

More like beat me in St. Louis OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 26, 2024 7:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!