Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2025 Oscars Best Supporting Actor Predictions

This year’s supporting actor contenders feel a bit thinner than usual, but that could easily change before the Academy finalizes its five nominees. With so many potential contenders still waiting to make their mark, it’s safe to say that surprises could be lurking around the corner.

We’re still waiting on some official category confirmations and first looks for films like Kieran Culkin’s turn in “A Real Pain,” Gabriel LaBelle in “Saturday Night,” and the ever-dynamic Denzel Washington, who’s suiting up for his villainous role in “Gladiator II.” John Magaro and Peter Sarsgaard are also in the mix for their work in “September 5,” depending on where the actors decide to campaign.

In breaking news, Variety can now confirm that both Mike Faist and Josh O’Connor, the heartthrobs from Luca Guadagnino’s tennis-throuple love story “Challengers,” have decided to submit as supporting actors. This could add some unexpected heat to the competition. With their palpable chemistry on screen, their double entry might be the spark the supporting actor race needs this year.

Also in the wings is Edward Norton’s performance in James Mangold’s “A Complete Unknown.” There is no word yet on whether Norton’s portrayal will have the impact we expect, but it’s definitely worth keeping an eye on with three previous noms (“Primal Fear,” “American History X” and “Birdman”). Meanwhile, fans of the “Wicked” musical adaptation will be eager to see if Jonathan Bailey and Jeff Goldblum can enter the conversation.

In the meantime, Clarence Maclin continues to pop up in the awards discussion for his stellar performance in Greg Kwedar’s prison drama “Sing Sing.” At the same time, we can’t overlook Stanley Tucci, a true veteran, who’s delivering what could be one of his best performances yet in Edward Berger’s thriller “Conclave,” which premiered at Telluride. Tucci’s a familiar face at the Oscars, and the Academy will likely not miss the chance to acknowledge his work.

Then there’s Guy Pearce, whose buzzworthy role in Brady Corbet’s epic “The Brutalist” could remind us why he’s a Hollywood mainstay. With a runtime that spans four hours, it’ll be interesting to see if the Academy’s Actors Branch has the patience (and the time) to appreciate the scale of his performance fully.

Veteran actor John Turturro, who has been overlooked for an Oscar nod despite standout performances in films like “Quiz Show” (1994), could finally find himself in the mix for “The Room Next Door.” Turturro plays Damian, a passionate climate change advocate and former lover to both women in the film (Julianne Moore and Tilda Swinton), delivering a climactic scene near the end that could secure his spot in the conversation.

Finally, don’t count out Brian Tyree Henry. Known for bringing depth and emotion to every role he takes on, Henry could land another nomination, this time for his portrayal of Jason Crutchfield, coach to Olympic boxing champion Claressa Shields, in the inspirational film “The Fire Inside.” With past Oscar-nominated boxing coaches like Paul Giamatti in “Cinderella Man” and Burgess Meredith in “Rocky,” Henry could find himself joining the ranks of memorable mentors who received the Academy’s invitation.

As always, the supporting actor category remains unpredictable. With a mix of familiar faces and exciting new contenders, this year is shaping up to be interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2024 1:28 PM

I'm so over Denzel Washington and Paul Giamatti.

Let some fresh new faces into the Oscar race, for fuck's sake!

I would love to Kieran Culkin nominated and win. He has far surpassed his famous brother, in terms of his acting career. And he's damned good at it.

Mike Faist and Josh O'Connor would also be exciting to see as nominees, as well as Jonathan Bailey for Wicked.

It's time for a younger generation of Hollywood actors to start making their mark.

by Anonymousreply 1September 24, 2024 12:12 AM

[quote]I'm so over Denzel Washington and Paul Giamatti. Let some fresh new faces into the Oscar race, for fuck's sake!

Giamatti is not even in the running. He has no films being released this year.

by Anonymousreply 2September 24, 2024 12:15 AM

I'd love to see John Turturro get a nomination. He's been great for decades.

by Anonymousreply 3September 24, 2024 12:20 AM

[quote]as well as Jonathan Bailey for Wicked.

I predict a sure win! What could be a richer part than Fiyero?

Oscars all around for the cast of Wicked!

by Anonymousreply 4September 24, 2024 1:44 AM

[quote] I predict a sure win! What could be a richer part than Fiyero?

[quote] Oscars all around for the cast of Wicked!

If Emma Stone can win for "LaLa Land," and Gwyneth Paltrow can win for "Shakespeare in Love," then Jonathan Bailey can win for Wicked.

by Anonymousreply 5September 24, 2024 1:48 AM

Mike Faist and Josh O’Connor both gave great performances in Challengers. Zendaya however did not.

by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2024 1:49 AM

John Turturro is a name that I haven't heard in ages.

by Anonymousreply 7September 24, 2024 2:48 AM

Actors nominate actors. I like Mike Faist and he was adorable and good in “The Challengers,” but Josh O’Connor gave the best performance in that film by far — if you’d never seen him before you would realize what a fine actor he is just from this, so I think he may get one while Faist gets left out unless the field is thin.

by Anonymousreply 8September 24, 2024 2:51 AM

[quote] Actors nominate actors

Would you call Cher an "actor?"

by Anonymousreply 9September 24, 2024 3:15 AM

[quote]If Emma Stone can win for "LaLa Land," and Gwyneth Paltrow can win for "Shakespeare in Love," then Jonathan Bailey can win for Wicked.

Don't give me that Gwyneth Paltrow bullshit--that was more than a quarter century ago, when Harvey Fierstein controlled who won the Oscars. It's no longer that era.

by Anonymousreply 10September 24, 2024 3:20 AM

If Harvey Fierstein controlled who won the Oscars 25 years ago Hollywood would piss rainbows and xanax.

by Anonymousreply 11September 24, 2024 6:48 AM

Harvey Weinstein, R11.

Not Harvey Fierstein.

by Anonymousreply 12September 24, 2024 7:22 AM

[quote]Josh O’Connor gave the best performance in that film by far

He gave one of the best performances of the year in "La Chimera." He won't be nominated for that film as it wasn't a big enough hit, but with that and "Challengers" he became an actor I'll look forward to seeing in anything.

by Anonymousreply 13September 24, 2024 7:37 AM

R13 I agree about Josh O'Connor's performances in La Chimera and Challengers. Unfortunately no matter how critically acclaimed a film may be, if it doesn't reach a level of box office success the film and performances are almost never considered for any Academy Award nominations.

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2024 12:38 PM

I can't imagine "Wicked" winning much this time around.

Since there are two parts of a whole (instead of a sequel,) voters are going to take a "wait and see" approach to voting for it.

Why give Bailey or Erivo an award for part one, when they might be even better in part two?

by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2024 1:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!