Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sir Georg Solti

After Fritz Reiner passed away in the mid-1960's, Solti became the Musical Director for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. He had heavy competition, too; Leonard Bernstein in New York, Erich Leinsdorf in Boston, Eugene Ormandy in Philadelphia, and George Szell in Cleveland. All five musical directors emigrated to America from Western Europe.

Collectively, they were classified as "The Five," and led the way to rebuild the classical music after WWII so ruthlessly destroyed Europe's orchestras. Their recordings have gone on to live on in the world and are still debated today.

For his part, Solti is renowned for his interpretations of Wagner, Brahms, Bartok, and Mahler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2024 1:07 AM

His Mahler Cycle in Chicago (1967-1971) is the creme de la creme.

by Anonymousreply 1September 23, 2024 10:50 PM

I copy shit and curtsy, waiting for approval.

by Anonymousreply 2September 23, 2024 10:53 PM

Bernstein didn’t immigrate from Europe. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 3September 23, 2024 10:55 PM

He molested me.

by Anonymousreply 4September 23, 2024 10:56 PM

His Boheme with Domingo and Caballe is magical.

by Anonymousreply 5September 23, 2024 10:58 PM

He WAS Sir Georg Solti!

by Anonymousreply 6September 23, 2024 11:04 PM

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra playing Mahler's Fifth Symphony, conducted by sir Georg Solti (1971)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 23, 2024 11:09 PM

His Ring Cycle is regarded as the greatest recording ever made.

Solti conducts the Vienna Philharmonic, with a voice cast that includes Birgit Nilsson, Wolfgang Windgassen, Hans Hotter, George London, Joan Sutherland, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Christa Ludwig, Gwyneth Jones, Hermann Uhde, and Kirsten Flagstad

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2024 11:13 PM

Brahms' Academic Festival Overture

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2024 11:22 PM

[quote] Actor Eric Porter named Anton Bruckner's Symphony No. 7, performed by the Vienna Philharmonic conducted by Georg Solti, as one of his desert island discs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2024 11:24 PM

Good taste!

by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2024 11:27 PM

A fun documentary of him working on Strauss' Four Last Songs w/ Dame Kiri.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 23, 2024 11:55 PM

He chased Dame Kiri around a piano once. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 13September 24, 2024 12:27 AM

Wasn’t a fan, but I’m in the minority

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2024 12:52 AM

R14 Why were you not a fan?

R13 source/Link? Was Solti handsy?

by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2024 3:42 AM

[quote] Bernstein didn’t immigrate from Europe. WTF?

Solti also didn’t take over from Reiner. Solti took the positon six years after Reiner’s death, which occurred in 1963.

by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2024 3:53 AM

[quote] His Boheme with Domingo and Caballe is magical.

[italic]Guuurrrlll...

by Anonymousreply 17September 24, 2024 3:55 AM

He’s not wrong, R17.

You’re a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 18September 24, 2024 4:33 AM

He died September 5, 1997, the same day that Mother Theresa died and five days after Princess Diana died. His passing was WAY overshadowed by the other two deaths and he really never received the great “send off” he deserved.

And, YES! His is the greatest Ring recording of all time. Everything the man touched became sublime.

by Anonymousreply 19September 24, 2024 4:40 AM

I usually opt for Solti when I feel like listening to Wagner. He's brilliant in the exciting parts - bold and brassy. But I don't find him quite so compelling in the less energetic moments.

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2024 6:24 AM

[quote] His Ring Cycle is regarded as the greatest recording ever made.

This is what Decca’s marketing department wants you to believe R8. So that they can continue flogging it at inflated prices for decades to come, even though everyone involved is long dead.

Truth is, it is a very strong Ring, no doubt about that. The best, however? Not by a mile, especially since the Bayreuth festival opened its archives in the 90’s, and smaller record companies jumped on the occasion to release superior Rings (Keilberth, Krauss, Knappertsbush, to name a few), in very clean mono, or even early stereo, sound.

Solti’s Ring is the perfect “beginner’s Ring”, thanks to its impeccable sound, excellent (for the most part) cast, and brisk conducting. But anyone who loves the Ring will quickly move on to more satisfying versions.

As for the greatest opera recording? Try Furtwangler’s Tristan und Isolde rather.

by Anonymousreply 21September 24, 2024 10:35 AM

R15, it was a direct quote from Dame Kiri but I forget where I read it. She framed it as a “naughty boy!” kind of event, telling him she would tell his wife if he didn’t stop.

by Anonymousreply 22September 24, 2024 11:17 AM

Fun fact about Sir Georg: I knew the young girl who was his personal masseuse in the late 1980s and she always said she was pleasantly surprised about how professional he was and that "he never tried any funny business" with her.

Boring, right? But it has stuck with me and I always think of it when I see or hear his name all these years later.

by Anonymousreply 23September 24, 2024 11:49 AM

R13/R22, that seems like a Warner Brothers cartoon with Granny being chased around a piano.

by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2024 2:24 PM

R21 I prefer Bohm's Tristun und Isolde with Nilsson and Windgassen

or Beecham's with Kirsten Flagstad and Lauritz Melchior

by Anonymousreply 25September 24, 2024 2:49 PM

Did he have a serious falling out with Jessye Norman?

by Anonymousreply 26September 24, 2024 2:55 PM

R26 I don't think so, they recorded together a few times

by Anonymousreply 27September 24, 2024 3:05 PM

R26, perhaps Georg thought Jessye WAS the piano, and he started running around her!

by Anonymousreply 28September 24, 2024 3:14 PM

As far as I can tell, Jessye Norman worked with Georg Solti on a few projects -- LOHENGRIN recording, Beethoven 9 live and recorded, a Covent Garden gala -- during 1985 and 1986, but never before or after that. If that's accurate, then it's a fair question why they didn't collaborate more frequently, given the many possible overlaps in their shared rep.

by Anonymousreply 29September 25, 2024 2:26 AM

She was due to sing the premiere of a work written for her by Michael Tippett with Solti and the Chicago Symphony in the early 90s, but backed out a few weeks before the performance despite having the score for some time. Solti criticised her publicly for it

by Anonymousreply 30September 25, 2024 3:41 AM

He was slightly less of a cunt than von Karajan

by Anonymousreply 31September 25, 2024 4:32 AM

"His Ring Cycle is regarded as the greatest recording ever made."

His Cockring Cycle is regarded as the greatest recording ever made.😆

by Anonymousreply 32September 25, 2024 12:38 PM

R32 hysterical...

by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2024 12:03 AM

R8 "His Ring Cycle is regarded as the greatest recording ever made."

This is so cute, like in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2024 12:26 AM

Georg, had I known your children were so musical I'd have brought my harmonica!

by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2024 1:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!