Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kmart is DEAD to US!

The last full sized Kmart in the mainland United States is closing.

Only a ministore in FL and some stores in Puerto Rico remain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 24, 2024 4:13 PM

My first job was stocking shelf's at Kmart in the summer of 1998.

by Anonymousreply 1September 23, 2024 10:21 PM

[quote] shelf's

Shelves!

by Anonymousreply 2September 23, 2024 10:22 PM

I can't believe I lent my name to some crap they sold in these dumps.

by Anonymousreply 3September 23, 2024 10:24 PM

Shirley Q saw it comin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 23, 2024 10:25 PM

Garanimals child. RIP

by Anonymousreply 5September 23, 2024 10:27 PM

The blue light has been turned off.

by Anonymousreply 6September 23, 2024 10:28 PM

I believe this is a good time to link to one of my all-time favorite DL threads!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 23, 2024 10:30 PM

Where my New Yorkers at? Yall remember the Kmart at Astor Place? Lawd that place was a mixed bag of rich white hippies, NYU kids, and crazy ass eccentrics .

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2024 10:31 PM

^Hi, there, Teacake!

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2024 10:34 PM

R9 Hi. Who are you. 😼

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2024 10:36 PM

I love that clip too R7, I've posted here at least once or twice myself.

by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2024 10:38 PM

Why did Michael Jackson go to Kmart?

Little boys' underpants were half off.

by Anonymousreply 12September 23, 2024 10:39 PM

Thank God I pulled my collection out of there!

by Anonymousreply 13September 23, 2024 10:41 PM

What are the first words Redneck babies learn to say?

Attention K-Mart shoppers.

by Anonymousreply 14September 23, 2024 10:42 PM

Kmart is probably the story that I shoplifted from most growing up because it's where my mom usually shopped when we were usually allowed to go run around and look at toys and I had inevitably take usually a transformer or something else. I remember when we lived in this duplex down the road from the Kmart and the girl next door stole $20 from her dad and we took it down there one of the things we bought was a gumball machine like the little plastic ones but you put fake money into but they had actual gumballs.

When I was 11 and we lived at our dad's trailer court every night him and my step mom would go play bingo and on Fridays after we get our $5 a little hour me and my brother would ride our bikes down to the shopping center that had a comic book shop and also a Kmart across the street. We spent quite a time in that Kmart just playing in the aisles.

In junior high they had a class where they would send us to local businesses to work for a couple of hours to get experience I guess. I did a three weeks stint at one of the same Kmart that I had shoplifted at for years. The manager Fred told me that after I left school I could get a job and have a career there. this would have been like in 95 and I wonder what he's doing now that all the Kmarts are closed.

My best friend and I also made a parody song of TLC's Red light special called of course Blue light special and Kmart specific lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 15September 23, 2024 10:48 PM

I remember Kmart being one of my first cruising experiences.

Shopping with some family member (I can't remember exactly who), went to pee....I'd cruised before but wasn't thinking about it at all at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 16September 23, 2024 10:52 PM

Everybody went to the Kmart on Astor Place, even if they never would admit to it. That place was always packed in the 90s/2000s.

by Anonymousreply 17September 23, 2024 10:54 PM

Fuck you and your fucking bullseye, copycat Target 🎯

by Anonymousreply 18September 24, 2024 12:19 AM

They should have renamed themselves Martha Mart perhaps they would still be afloat.

by Anonymousreply 19September 24, 2024 12:22 AM

[quote]Where my New Yorkers at? Yall remember the Kmart at Astor Place? Lawd that place was a mixed bag of rich white hippies, NYU kids, and crazy ass eccentrics .

Oh yeah – I lived nearby for a while. I know it's now a Wegmans, and the area is MUCH better off!

Btw I was surprised to see this thread only because I thought every Kmart (and Sears) store had already closed. Apparently not, but ... well, good riddance. Can't say I ever shopped at either.

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2024 12:38 AM

Funeral on Aisle 7!

by Anonymousreply 21September 24, 2024 12:40 AM

For some strange reason, I was a fan of those ‘ sack of ham sandwiches’ they sold the deli. It consisted of plain white bread, sliced lettuce, slice tomato and a slice of boiled ham.. sound icky now. But still longing for the Celebrity brand (made in Hungary) canned bacon. It was shelf stable and so good. Wish someone would sell canned bacon again.

by Anonymousreply 22September 24, 2024 12:45 AM

Awwwww, R7. BILL AND RUTH TAYLOR made appearances in that thread! 2018 was a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 23September 24, 2024 12:55 AM

I think there might still be a few Sears left......less than a dozen, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2024 1:17 AM

The badly timed launch of their problematic Merry Hammas Bag....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 24, 2024 1:18 AM

Remember the days when you could get a baked chicken platter for $1.77?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 24, 2024 7:17 AM

I bought my first DVD player and my first boombox at KMart. Also, I loved their deli ham.

by Anonymousreply 27September 24, 2024 7:42 AM

The hot dogs at Kmart were a bit of a treat when I was a kid, but our Kmart was next to an A&W, so ultimately it was more disappointing when we wouldn't stop there instead.

by Anonymousreply 28September 24, 2024 7:54 AM

Can I have its things?

by Anonymousreply 29September 24, 2024 1:07 PM

It had a hot cashier but it could not live forever.

by Anonymousreply 30September 24, 2024 1:22 PM

No more blue light specials, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 31September 24, 2024 2:55 PM

Not dead, murdered. Eddie Lampray committed a 20 year plunder of its assets.

by Anonymousreply 32September 24, 2024 3:45 PM

Murdered along with Sears.

by Anonymousreply 33September 24, 2024 3:49 PM

Where will Simply Sara get her sub inspirations from now? So sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 24, 2024 4:04 PM

What happened to all of the Little Caesars

by Anonymousreply 35September 24, 2024 4:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!