Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Ghost Writer (2010)

Given the election year, I thought it would be fun to discuss the comber political thriller The Ghost Writer. The film follows a biographer as he ghost writes a controversial former British Prime Minister, his policies, and his unscrupulous ties.

Directed by Roman Polanski

Written by Roman Polanski and Robert Harris, based on his novel

Music by Alexander Desplat

Starring Ewan McGregor, Pierce Brosnan, Olivia Williams, Tom Wilkinson, Kim Cattrall, Timothy Hutton, Jon Bernthal, James Belushi, Robert Pugh, and Eli Wallach

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2024 8:20 PM

It is a good film, I love how the cast looks like their real world contemporaries:

Tony and Cherie Blair

Robin Cook

Condoleezza Rice

Robert McNamara

by Anonymousreply 1September 23, 2024 5:25 PM

Alexander Desplat's score is really good, too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 23, 2024 5:26 PM

It IS The Ghost Writer!

by Anonymousreply 3September 23, 2024 5:27 PM

I prefer the brusher political thrillers.

by Anonymousreply 4September 23, 2024 5:34 PM

R4 what do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 5September 23, 2024 5:36 PM

I'm available to reprise my role as Galaxy Girl!

by Anonymousreply 6September 23, 2024 6:33 PM

It's directed by a child rapist.

It was well known that Polanski was a child rapist when Harris decided to work with him on the adaptation.

It was a poorly made film and the idea that THE WOMAN aka Cherie Booth was behind it all was ridiculous.

And then of course Harris wrote and adapted the film of Munich - The Edge Of War, a film that tried to rehabilitate the image of Neville Chamberlain.

by Anonymousreply 7September 23, 2024 6:53 PM

It’s not particularly memorable and Polanski centering the film around extradition suggests it was made in self-interest of his own belief that he is being treated unfairly.

It also seeks to blame America for Britain’s own failings under the Blair Administration.

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2024 7:00 PM

The thing I remember the most from this film is Kim Cattrall's atrocious English accent, which was a shock since she actually IS English. Well I know she moved to Canada from Liverpool when she was just a baby but she was still surrounded with her English relatives all her life so one would think that she'd be able to do a better imitation of the accent.

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2024 7:18 PM

I always enjoyed the film

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2024 9:08 PM

R9 it was nice to see Kim play someone other than Samantha Jones during this timeframe.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2024 3:43 PM

One of the most elegant film endings of all time.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2024 8:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!