Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Taking suggestions for a good dog breed for apartment living

My partner and I have been together for years. We are both dog people but have never had a dog together. We are considering getting one soon since we've settled into our new apartment. First I will say we are looking for a a purebred dog and want to go through a responsible breeder and not get a rescue dog. I know, sue us. But that is our decision. I'd love to hear from Datalounge what breeds you guys have fallen in love with. We are looking for a small to medium size dog that isn't too hyper. My husband likes pugs, but everyone we know who has pugs say they are loveable but have a lot of health issues and are high maintenance when it comes to taking care of their medical needs. We were leaning toward a schnauzer, but my husband had one growing up and feels guilty getting another. But a schnauzer is still high on our list. Are there any other good suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 228September 27, 2024 1:17 AM

I'm partial to Shih-Tzus and Maltese. Both are great apartment dogs, easily trained, and aren't too barky. Stay away from Yorkies and all terriers in an apartment, and definitely no Chihuahuas as terriers will destroy everything they can reach and Chihuahuas never shut up.

All purebreds come with health issues. Do your research and decide how much you're willing to spend in vet bills.

As to the no-rescue thing.... I've adopted both a purebred Shih-Tzu and a purebred Maltese from rescues, and both are and have been the best dogs in the world.

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2024 6:54 PM

You are talking about a shih tzu or a shihpoo. They’re hypoallergenic, great in smaller spaces, not hyper, and act a bit like cats. I have a 7–year-old shihpoo. He gets along great with the cat!

by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2024 6:55 PM

Cavapoo. (Cavalier King Charles + mini Poodle). Average weight 15 lbs. Very friendly with people and other dogs, which is important in an apartment building, especially one with elevators. Easily trained. Doesn't usually bark and doesn't require a great deal of physical activity. Easy to train (verbal an hand cues). Can be pee-pad trained. (Ideal if you live in a high-rise.)

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2024 6:56 PM

Thanks for that R1. Yes, we are thoroughly researching whatever breed we decide to get. I like purebreds for that reason because it is much easier to gauge what you are getting, what difficulties you might be facing and how to deal with them. With a rescue, you don't know what's in their bloodline and what maybe coming down the pike. I really didn't want to spend the thread debating that decision. BUT I will say that from my experience, close to everyone with a rescue dog that I have known has spent the first three years at the Vet discovering this or that, that they had no idea was there. I prefer to know what I am getting into rather than being surprised by a 10k bill for meds and other things just to keep your dog a live. It isn't always like that, of course, but it's the "not knowing" part that has helped us make our decision.

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2024 7:00 PM

I should say we are looking more for more medium size dogs, solid body over between 20, 40lbs. I grew up around big dogs. I love big dogs. So a medium size dog is my concession given our living situation.

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2024 7:02 PM

Whippets are very sweet dogs.

by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2024 7:04 PM

Bichons are great dogs.

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2024 7:06 PM

How about a toy poodle? I'm not OP but contemplating the same, also in a high-rise. They seem very smart and small enough to put in a carry bag while on the elevator / in common areas.

by Anonymousreply 8September 22, 2024 7:06 PM

I love Jindos

by Anonymousreply 9September 22, 2024 7:07 PM

The small dog I recommend most for people who live in apartment buildings is a papillon. Stay away from anything in the spitz or terrier breeds.

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2024 7:13 PM

Shih Tzu are often not able to be housetrained, they get beat and given to the pound, DO NOT get a Shih Tzu if you can't handle it, look it up , you will see people bitch.

by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2024 7:14 PM

With all due respect.. there are literally 1,000 smart advice resources online for this.

by Anonymousreply 12September 22, 2024 7:15 PM

Any dog you like at the pound who's over 7 years old will be perfect for apartment living

by Anonymousreply 13September 22, 2024 7:18 PM

It sounds counterintuitive but you may want a larger, low energy breed. Like a Weimaraner, say. Or an older dog, as R13 suggested.

by Anonymousreply 14September 22, 2024 7:20 PM

[quote] Cavapoo. (Cavalier King Charles + mini Poodle).

This is a MIXED-breed dog. Nothing wrong with that, but we are supposedly talking about pure-bred dogs.

by Anonymousreply 15September 22, 2024 7:22 PM

Two dogs that family members have had:

Maltese: lap dog, doesn't need much exercise. CUTE, adorable. Needs grooming, whether from you or from a groomer. They are white and the worst part is the stuff that comes out of their eyes that stain the fur.

Bichon Frisee: They seem smart and loyal. Good size. Nice, soft hair or fur. I think you need to groom this dog, but not like the Maltese.

by Anonymousreply 16September 22, 2024 7:25 PM

Great Danes actually. They’re as bone idle as bulldogs.

by Anonymousreply 17September 22, 2024 7:27 PM

A surprise, I know, but when I lived in an apartment in Chicago, I had a Great Dane and he was THE BEST apartment dog. I did not have him in an apartment when he was a puppy, to be fair (in a house with partner, we split up. I got the dog, he got the house). I lived for many years in an apartment with that loveable giant dog. People often made comments like "how could you torture him in an apartment" etc but I am telling you, we went for long walks around the city, to the dog beach etc, and the rest of the time he was a piece of furniture in the apartment and was happy to be that way. Great Danes are obviously not for everyone, but just offering a different perspective on potentially getting a big dog - maybe an older one as suggested above.

by Anonymousreply 18September 22, 2024 7:28 PM

Great Danes are great apartment dogs.

by Anonymousreply 19September 22, 2024 7:29 PM

I would recommend Cavalier King Charles spaniels. They are just so sweet and calm. BUT, they will all develop heart disease...

by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2024 7:35 PM

[quote]I'm partial to Shih-Tzus and Maltese. Both are great apartment dogs, easily trained, and aren't too barky. Stay away from Yorkies

My first two dogs were Shih-Tzus, and I have to agree - wonderful dogs, easy to train. My third dog was half Shis-Tzu, half Maltese - he's great. My fourth dog (I have my third and fourth alive today) is half Shis-Tzu and half Yorkie ("Shorkie") , but he's more Yorkie than anything else. I couldn't love him any more than I do - but he's a handful. He's a 'determined dog' as my vet says, and even though he's well-trained, he knows how to get what he wants no matter the consequence. He's very smart, very curious, energetic, loves to bark (which I don't mind when I'm not home). As my vet also pointed out last week - Yorkies feel their role is 'the protector'; they want to protect their master at all time and their home.

by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2024 7:42 PM

I realize you can meet a rescue dog and evaluate their temperament to a reasonable degree, but a friend of mine has had several rescue dogs that were never reliably house trained. She has a spectacular AD-quality home where everything is always perfect except there are mats everywhere in case a dog has an accident. And she frequently won’t consider an invitation because the dogs can’t go more than 3 or 4 hours without a walk. But she loves the dogs and caring for them. It’s just not for everyone. But even if you can tolerate it in you home, it could be a real problem in an elevator or lobby.

I think once that bad habit is established it’s hard to break and I’m not sure it would be apparent after spending just a few hours with a dog.

A big dog might be temperamentally suited to apartment living, but what if you wanted to move to a different building that had a weight limit? Don’t many in NYC have a 35 lb limit? It’s also potentially a problem in the elevator. Lots of small dogs in my building, they are no problem. The 60 lb dog I lost a few years ago would have been a problem because his size would have made it impossible not to brush against people. And dogs shed.

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2024 7:47 PM

Weimaraner??!! Every one that I've met have been the neediest, nervous, high energy dogs that I've ever met. Danes are such couch potatoes because they're just too big to expend so much energy. But be warned: giant poos and a short life span (7 average).

Whatever dog you get, try to get a beta dog.

by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2024 7:53 PM

We breed toy bloodhounds, OP.

by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2024 8:00 PM

Beagles are nice dogs if you get one from a show line rather than a working line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2024 8:02 PM

We have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and they are great apartment dogs since they are easy going, non-aggressive and quiet. Even though the breed standard is 12-18 pounds ours is closer to 30 and we meet other “large” CKCS at all of the local meet-ups. They do all eventually get some form of heart disease, but for many it is mild and non-progressing. As long as you know the health history of the parents and get a health insurance policy that covers breed specific conditions you should be OK.

by Anonymousreply 26September 22, 2024 8:06 PM

I love beagles and I had one (un-neutered male), growing up. They have a lot of energy and I'd say they MUST be taken outside for long walks. Cesar Milan had a good idea to walk them while wearing skates (human wears skates).

However: sweet and adorable as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 22, 2024 8:10 PM

R20 is right OP. They consistently get the highest marks from Dog Breeders, Veterinarians, and owners. They are quiet, obedient, faithful, intelligent and essentially the most loyal "lap dogs" and affectionate breeds out there. And oh, yes, they are quite beautiful and regal. (Royalty historically highly prized them as companion dogs).

Do they have health challenges? Sure- but show me a pure breed dog that doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 28September 22, 2024 8:13 PM

My sister has a beagle and walks her three miles a day. And even that doesn't really tire her out (my sister, yes -- the dog, no).

If you're really interested in a schnauzer, I saw one a few months ago at an outdoor fair that was adorable because he was black and white! Not the usual salt and pepper like an ordinary schnauzer, but parti-color like a cocker spaniel. He was adorable.

I personally love my chorkie, the best dog that ever dogged.

by Anonymousreply 29September 22, 2024 8:19 PM

So we’re just supposed to give you a pass on “we are looking for a a purebred dog and want to go through a responsible breeder and not get a rescue dog” because you wave it away with en entitled “I know, sue us. But that is our decision”?

There are too many of these amazing creatures killed daily because of breeders—“responsible” or otherwise.

I have a delightful and quiet purebred rescued from a puppy mill. It can be done.

by Anonymousreply 30September 22, 2024 8:22 PM

I know somebody who has the most amazing dog and he’s a rescue. He doesn’t go to the bathroom in the house, doesn’t bark and when not walking he likes to relax. Seriously I love this dog and wish he was mine. I agree it’s definitely possible.

by Anonymousreply 31September 22, 2024 8:31 PM

Cavs are for chics.

by Anonymousreply 32September 22, 2024 8:43 PM

So your kitties were, in fact, fictitious?

by Anonymousreply 33September 22, 2024 8:51 PM

Another vote for a Maltese…they are definitely lap dogs and love to cuddle…beautiful fur doesn’t shed…also very smart and playful…their eyes do leak occasionally but if you keep the area trimmed and clean they always look well groomed They were at one time the favorite dogs of the royals.

by Anonymousreply 34September 22, 2024 9:08 PM

No one has mentioned greyhounds? Ultimate couch potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 35September 22, 2024 9:11 PM

Blueberries and Angel Eyes wipe will keep eye areas looking good.

by Anonymousreply 36September 22, 2024 9:13 PM

We don't want a lapdog, that much I do know. We don't want a chick dog. I like the idea of beagles but they have too much energy. Or something along the lines of a Boston Terrier. Because I like big dogs, I want a medium size one with body, and not something that feels like a pigeon through a ball of hair. I don't need a dog that goes on wee pads indoors. three our four walks a day is find and doable. I just don't want a dog that needs to go hiking. I grew up with a Rottweiler and love a dog I can throw my arm around. But that unfortunately isn't going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 37September 22, 2024 9:23 PM

If you live in an apartment and you are buying a puppy from a breeder you are going to need to use wee-wee pads at first because at 10 weeks old they need to go every two hours and you can’t take them out on city streets safely until they are a couple months further along in their shots.

by Anonymousreply 38September 22, 2024 9:31 PM

[quote] We don't want a lapdog, that much I do know. We don't want a chick dog.

I was giving OP the benefit of the doubt, wanting a pure-bred dog. Now, OP is starting to sound like an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 39September 22, 2024 9:35 PM

OP and his partner seem like they might be too *fussy* to have a dog... Perhaps a cat?

by Anonymousreply 40September 22, 2024 9:36 PM

[quote]The small dog I recommend most for people who live in apartment buildings is a papillon

I absolutely agree. My Koa was definitely the dog of my life. The one against all other pets are measured and always fall short.

I loved that little guy and he returned that love in ways that amaze me to this day. When we walked, not one single week passed where someone would stop and tell me how beautiful he was.

by Anonymousreply 41September 22, 2024 9:37 PM

Look at Miss OP getting her panties in a bunch at R37 because DL can’t recommend the exact dog he needs.

Do better DL. Boundaries have been stated.

by Anonymousreply 42September 22, 2024 9:37 PM

Also, why didn't OP put all of these specs in the OP.

[quote] I want a medium size one with body[.] ... I grew up with a Rottweiler and love a dog I can throw my arm around.

by Anonymousreply 43September 22, 2024 9:38 PM

R38, I don't want wee wee pads as a lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 44September 22, 2024 9:56 PM

Because the thread is growing organically r43. I didn't realize I would need to say that until everyone started recommending small lap dogs. I don't want a small lap dog. I don't want something that can pee on pads in the house. Anyway, you guys are right. this is not the place for this. Thank you all for your advice. I still have to figure out exactly what our needs are and a breed that will best suit us. And as a poster stated above, there are about 1000 better places to do it other than here. I just thought I would get some amazing suggestions right off the bat. And they were good suggestions. But just for someone else, not us.

by Anonymousreply 45September 22, 2024 10:01 PM

Not all small dogs are pissing indoors on pads. Some people actually take small dogs for walks, just like owners of larger dogs do.

by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2024 10:07 PM

I have a miniature Schnauzer and she is high energy all the time. Despite two one mile walks a day, she never rests. And they bark at anything. Upside is they don’t shed. In general, avoid any terrier. They endlessly “guard” their turf and bark and growl.

For a medium sized dog (20-30 lbs.) how about a cocker spaniel? They don’t shed and are fast learners. I’ve had several during my life and they were great apartment dogs. They’re not territorial (they’re bird dogs), so they’re protective only of you. Selecting a breeder is key; some lines product aggressive cockers, but you can search this online. As somebody upthread said, you can find puppy mill rescues, especially if Amish country in PA, Ohio and Missouri. Local authorities often bust them then have lots of dogs to rehome. As far as health issues, the main concern is their ears, which have very deep ear canals that are prone to infection. You have to be vigilant in upkeep. Females have recessed vulvas — again, be aware of infections.

Adult Labs or Goldens make great apartment dogs. They like slow walks and human touch. By age 4-5, they usually slow down and if not, they develop hip problems but then they’re prone to obesity. Educated owners know when to dial back the rough activities and monitor the diet.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 47September 22, 2024 10:22 PM

Get a Boston Terrier, OP.

They are extremely quirky and will make you laugh. They enjoy a good walk and a run in the park, but are also fine with doing the deed and go back to the couch when it’s cold outside.

by Anonymousreply 48September 22, 2024 10:35 PM

My miniature poodle (now 16) has been a joy. They are easy to train, self-entertaining, hypoallergenic and very intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 49September 22, 2024 10:52 PM

Yap! Yap, yap! Yap! Yap! Yap, yap! Yap! Yap! Yap, yap! Yap! Yap! Yap, yap! Yap! Yap! Yap, yap! Yap! Yap! Yap, yap! Yap! Yap! Yap, yap! Yap! Yap! Yap, yap! Yap! Yap! Yap, yap! Yap! Yap! Yap, yap! Yap! Yap! Yap, yap! Yap! Yap! Yap, yap! Yap!

by Anonymousreply 50September 22, 2024 10:55 PM

Make sure you pick a dog that you still want to look after when you inevitably break up.

by Anonymousreply 51September 22, 2024 11:00 PM

Of course an R30 has to chime in. They cant comprehend why someone would not want cast off pitbulls or pitbull mixes, which are 90% of what shelters offer.

by Anonymousreply 52September 23, 2024 12:09 AM

R30 Puppies from puppy mills like the "purebred" you rescued are prone to a long list of congenital and hereditary conditions because sick dogs are often left in the breeding pool. These conditions include epilepsy, heart disease, kidney disease, and more. How can you fault someone for wanting to avoid that?

by Anonymousreply 53September 23, 2024 12:19 AM

Can vouch that Cavalier King Charles spaniels are so sweet. Just don’t tell the Markle troll

by Anonymousreply 54September 23, 2024 12:19 AM

[quote] Can vouch that Cavalier King Charles spaniels

Is it a recently-named breed?

by Anonymousreply 55September 23, 2024 12:22 AM

You might know that you can go to AKC to look for breeders across this great nation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 23, 2024 12:22 AM

If you're dead set on a particular breed, please look into breed rescues.

by Anonymousreply 57September 23, 2024 12:36 AM

Boston Terrier. I've never owned that breed but know some. They're gentle and friendly.

by Anonymousreply 58September 23, 2024 12:47 AM

[quote]Taking suggestions for a good dog breed for apartment living

Bestiality is never right, OP.

by Anonymousreply 59September 23, 2024 12:53 AM

Don’t get a great dane they fucking reek.

by Anonymousreply 60September 23, 2024 12:56 AM

[quote]We were leaning toward a schnauzer, but my husband had one growing up and feels guilty getting another.

What the fuck is that supposed to mean? If you feel guilty about anything it should be going to a breeder.

[quote] Are there any good suggestions?

God you sound stupid. As opposed to bad suggestions? Here's a bad one-- go to a breederand get an inbred dog that by definition comes with health problems and a level of suffering beyond what you prisspots would tolerate.

by Anonymousreply 61September 23, 2024 1:05 AM

OP, this better not be a 'save the marriage' dog, because that will only complicate your inevitable breakup

by Anonymousreply 62September 23, 2024 1:12 AM

Get a Boxer. We had a female named Nessie when I was a kid. Such a lovely girl, she liked everyone. But also a good watchdog.

One of my relatives has a Great Pyrenees, known for their "loyalty and protectiveness"which in this case means "tries to kill anyone she doesn't know" including other dogs. My relative is a member of a forum about the breed and it appears to be a common problem.

by Anonymousreply 63September 23, 2024 1:17 AM

I don't like dogs that you can see their assholes or their junk. For the love of dog, get something with a bit of modesty fur!

by Anonymousreply 64September 23, 2024 1:21 AM

R63 The numbers from this data show that Boxer dogs are the eighth most dangerous breed. Over that time period, there were 74 reported Boxer dog attacks that caused serious bodily harm, as well as nine deaths. This places Boxers ahead of other dangerous dog breeds, such as Akitas and Chows.Feb 12, 2017

[bold] Like all purebred dogs, Boxers can be predisposed to several health conditions such as: Heart conditions. Brachycephalic obstructive airway syndrome (BOAS)[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 65September 23, 2024 1:23 AM

My dog is a mutt. Lab and German Shepherd mix, all white. She's my goody girl.

by Anonymousreply 66September 23, 2024 1:29 AM

Boston Terrier.

by Anonymousreply 67September 23, 2024 1:30 AM

That disappoints me r65. It could be true but it wasn't our experience. She was especially patient and gentle with the unintended cruelties inflicted by small children.

by Anonymousreply 68September 23, 2024 1:31 AM

The few Boston Terriers that I've met are total spazzes.

by Anonymousreply 69September 23, 2024 1:45 AM

I admire you for realizing your goody girl is a mutt, and you dont try to pass her off as a new breed, a "Germador Sheptriever" like some pretensious queens upthread would do.

by Anonymousreply 70September 23, 2024 1:50 AM

R66 That reply above this was meant for you.

by Anonymousreply 71September 23, 2024 1:51 AM

[quote] I don't like dogs that you can see their assholes or their junk. For the love of dog, get something with a bit of modesty fur!

I'd rather see a dog's asshole and balls than deal with dingleberries.

by Anonymousreply 72September 23, 2024 1:56 AM

Fuck the "chick dog" shit. We have two Cavalier King Charles and not only are they unbelievably cute, they are also the most loving dogs we've ever known.

by Anonymousreply 73September 23, 2024 1:59 AM

OP you don’t deserve a dog.

by Anonymousreply 74September 23, 2024 2:02 AM

Italian Greyhound. I've had two and both liked to snuggle and sleep all day.

by Anonymousreply 75September 23, 2024 2:19 AM

People like what they like, but the vast majority of potential dog owners, especially first-time owners who live in apartments, would be infinitely better suited to the more substantial small companion breeds like Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (likely the sweetest of all the breeds), Shih Tzus (docile but self-possessed and surprisingly sturdy) and Bichon Frisés (sunny and funny, with good energy and a strong desire to please) than a medium or large dog with a strong working drive - like hunting, herding or protection.

by Anonymousreply 76September 23, 2024 2:22 AM

Get one that's juicy and flavorful.

by Anonymousreply 77September 23, 2024 2:26 AM

Well fuck you too R73

Researchers estimate more than 90 percent of all Cavaliers have a malformation that squeezes the brain's cerebellum through the foramen magnum, the hole at the back of the skull.

I stopped going out with you queens and your mutant designer dogs after the umpteenth time our conversations were interrupted by fraus oohing and aahing over the poor animal like it was a fucking panda.

by Anonymousreply 78September 23, 2024 2:31 AM

r52 he’s a poodle and smarter and more charming than you.

by Anonymousreply 79September 23, 2024 2:42 AM

Just go to the pound and get one.

by Anonymousreply 80September 23, 2024 3:51 AM

Do your neighbors a favor. Do not get a small noisy dog that barks constantly. Terriers are the worst so are the other smaller dogs. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 81September 23, 2024 3:53 AM

Get a cat instead.

by Anonymousreply 82September 23, 2024 3:54 AM

A mutt.

by Anonymousreply 83September 23, 2024 4:09 AM

What about a corgi? They are very cute, not barky but they do shed.

by Anonymousreply 84September 23, 2024 4:11 AM

Cats are for chicks!

by Anonymousreply 85September 23, 2024 4:14 AM

Honestly you should reconsider. Dog culture is loaded with nutters. You can't even go to the supermarket without some shitbeast roaming the aisles spreading bacteria.

by Anonymousreply 86September 23, 2024 4:25 AM

... and your whole apartment will be covered in fecal matter.

by Anonymousreply 87September 23, 2024 4:26 AM

There are lots of good dogs out there in shelters that will be euthanized if someone doesn't give them a home. Step up, OP.

by Anonymousreply 88September 23, 2024 5:00 AM

What about a sheltie?

by Anonymousreply 89September 23, 2024 5:03 AM

A poodle. Either a toy or a mini. Intelligent, funny, non shedding, I've had Standard Poodles and adore the breed. I now live in an apartment and am planning on getting a smaller poodle.

by Anonymousreply 90September 23, 2024 6:21 AM

Op here. This is not a save the marriage dog. We’ve been together almost 30 years. We are the “met the day Diana Died” couple from the other thread I started in her 27th. This dog will be like our late in life baby. We both had dogs growing up they we were extremely close to. Their deaths were traumatic for both us. So as a couple we have just been avoiding going through that pain again. But I think we are ready.

We live in an apartment, but not a huge bustling city. We live in Italy, Florence - so it’s busy with sidewalks that you’d consider more ledges than walking spaces. Living abroad is one of the reasons I don’t want to work with a shelter as well. It’s easier to find breeders and work directly with them.

Anyway, thank you for the good advice. Oddly enough Sex and the City kinda ruined Cavalier King Charles with Charlotte and her Elizabeth Taylor. But maybe I’ll look at them again.

by Anonymousreply 91September 23, 2024 7:44 AM

If you are thinking of Pugs go with a Boston Terrier....I have 2 and live in a city.....They are snuggle bugs and pretty hearty for being a small dog....

by Anonymousreply 92September 23, 2024 7:49 AM

Thanks R92. Are they hyper active, full of energy? I means dog is a dog obviously. I don’t expected some sedated lump on a log. BUT I’d prefer something that’s not doing zoonies all over the place and barking at every noise and everyone outside.

by Anonymousreply 93September 23, 2024 10:12 AM

R93 I've had 3 over the years...All city living....They have all been pretty chill...they are very affectionate and want to be by you...They sleep in the bed and don't wake up till we do....Only bark if they get startled by a knock on the door....

by Anonymousreply 94September 23, 2024 10:51 AM

That sounds awesome R94. We were considering Boston Terriers years ago. I remember even buying a book to learn more about them. It sounds like they might be the right way to go now.

by Anonymousreply 95September 23, 2024 10:58 AM

Why not get a pony too OP?

by Anonymousreply 96September 23, 2024 11:06 AM

My experience with a Boston. "You WILL go to the park 2x a day and throw the tennis ball a minimum of 200 times", smart, liked to be clean, housebroken on 1st day, stopped at the front door until her feet and ass were wiped, bossy and self important, Retaliatory if she felt her needs weren't being met. Most dogs are, "Let's go to the park" but Bostons are, "We're going to the park, or else". You may want a more passive breed. I friend of mine had a sweet/dumb Maltese that liked to sleep all day in the bathtub.

I took her everywhere for 15 years she was a perfect travel dog. I vowed to never get another dog because the loss was too painful. I couldn't even pet another dog for years but eventually I took in a senior and gave her a few more years. A sweet, lovey retriever type, which is another way to go. Yin/Yang

by Anonymousreply 97September 23, 2024 12:16 PM

[quote] We live in Italy, Florence - so it’s busy with sidewalks that you’d consider more ledges than walking spaces. Living abroad is one of the reasons I don’t want to work with a shelter as well. It’s easier to find breeders and work directly with them.

Are Italian Greyhounds popular in Italy? I think they're the cutest dogs in the world, but when it gets cold, people put them in little outfits, including boots. I don't know if you'd want to bother with that. Also, I've read that they can break their bones easily, jumping from furniture to floors and so on. But again, the cutest small dog I can think of (I like shorthaired, snouty dogs.)

by Anonymousreply 98September 23, 2024 12:26 PM

Maltese look like the dumbest dogs on earth. They act like it too. Little beady blank eyes and they white hair that turns brown around their eyes and ass.

by Anonymousreply 99September 23, 2024 12:28 PM

[quote]I should say we are looking more for more medium size dogs, solid body over between 20, 40lbs. I grew up around big dogs. I love big dogs. So a medium size dog is my concession given our living situation.

This, plus the fat that you are determined to get a pure-bred dog rather than a rescue, indicates that you and your partner are far more concerned with your own wants and needs rather than the dog's, and makes me think you shouldn't be dog owners at all.

by Anonymousreply 100September 23, 2024 12:33 PM

[Quote] Weimaraner??!! Every one that I've met have been the neediest, nervous, high energy dogs that I've ever met.

As we also learned from one of my favorite movies: Best in Show.

by Anonymousreply 101September 23, 2024 12:59 PM

Is at least one of you a work from home dog dad? New puppies need a shit load of walking time and significant training time. Including quality time with an actual trainer.

If you don’t do that then which breed you get will be less important.

But what ever you do, do not get a high energy dog.

by Anonymousreply 102September 23, 2024 1:05 PM

R13 - I would agree with that - I would want a middle-aged dog for an apartment. I can't imagine how much damage they would do in their puppy years and the constant energy with limited space to roam.

Slightly used, well trained, affectionate dogs are for me.

by Anonymousreply 103September 23, 2024 2:54 PM

Re: Italian Greyhounds @ R98

We've never dressed our Iggys when the weather is cold. But we live in Texas, so cold weather is usually not a problem. As far as the susceptibility for broken bones, that's usually only a concern while they are puppies as their bones are still developing. We just made sure to monitor them while they were young. Our current one is 12 years old and he jumps up and down from the sofas and beds all the time, although it's getting harder for him to jump up on them as he gets older.

by Anonymousreply 104September 23, 2024 2:56 PM

Nice to see so many fellow Boston-lovers here!

But then again, not surprising. DataLounge is a place for connoisseurs, for men who enjoy the finest things in life.

by Anonymousreply 105September 23, 2024 2:58 PM

We've had a couple of shar-peis......some health problems.....but easy to train and lots of fun.....

by Anonymousreply 106September 23, 2024 3:02 PM

I second the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. How can you resist that face? He is quiet, so lovable and a wonderful companion dog. Sam, our dog, is 9 with no health issues, at all. He is large for a Cav, coming in at 25 lbs. He does love a daily walk or two, but really sinks into your personalities and is not quite a velcro dog, but won't let you out of his sight. They do need to go to the beauty parlor every couple of months, but don't we all? I have had several dogs in my life, but Sam has been the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 23, 2024 3:04 PM

R66, I had the same mix dog when I was growing up, but he was all black. I loved that dog, he was incredibly clever, and very affectionate. The only problem was his need for a LOT of exercise. I had to walk him for miles every day or he would start chewing furniture, clothes, you name it.

by Anonymousreply 108September 23, 2024 3:07 PM

Listen to ElderLez, Op! She knows what she is talking about. Here is her thread on Cavaliers from a few years ago. Wonderful dogs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 23, 2024 3:18 PM

Re: the breaking of legs, r104, good to hear it never happened to your dog. I've never had an Iggy, but I've read about the legs breaking, and saw such an IG on reddit yesterday with a bright blue cast on his right leg.

by Anonymousreply 110September 23, 2024 3:21 PM

My Italian Greyhound - the lazy slug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111September 23, 2024 3:30 PM

Cute lazy slug, r111.

by Anonymousreply 112September 23, 2024 3:34 PM

Pure breed? It figures. A schnauzer? You truly are a horrible neighbor. Those are some of the most hyper dogs. And according to you original post you kind of want a hyper dog. I feel bad for your neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 113September 23, 2024 3:53 PM

No dog is suitable for apartment living. Dogs need lots of outdoor space and nature. Basically, you are keeping an innocent dog in jail.

by Anonymousreply 114September 23, 2024 3:59 PM

r92 Pugs smell terrible. Most pug owners become nose-blind to the foul odor. Everybody in their vicinity politely hold their breath.

by Anonymousreply 115September 23, 2024 4:01 PM

Fuck the neighbors I feel bad for the poor dog. It’s not likely that a reputable rescue group would give a high energy puppy to people living in an apt with no fenced in back yard to the OP. .

Breeders will not give a fuck. They are just happy to take your money and see more dogs in a world with far to many dogs already.

This will end up being a rescue dog in two years

by Anonymousreply 116September 23, 2024 4:02 PM

R114, that is one of the most stupid things I've seen posted on DL, and that's saying something.

by Anonymousreply 117September 23, 2024 4:03 PM

R117, if only you had waited a few seconds, R116 would have given you another option.

by Anonymousreply 118September 23, 2024 4:05 PM

R117 I have read so many things on DL that are so much more stupid that that statement. Even though I don’t agree with his statement.

But his response is closer to smart than an OP who wants a high energy puppy while living in a fucking apt.

R116 reputable rescue groups do home interviews and inspections. They look at backyards and fendes or lack of. . A high energy puppy would not be given to these two that seem fairly clueless about high energy puppies and apts with no fenced in back yards.

Now if you want to argue that go ahead but you would be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 119September 23, 2024 4:13 PM

Yup, keep buying these poor creatures, inbred for 900 years ( the breed was restarted from 5 spaniels after WWll) because you deserve it. You want a dog so you will HAVE a dog because you're special and entitled. A dog that suits your tastes, because you're tasteful.

The Cavalier King Charles spaniel is one of the unhealthiest dog breeds in the world. They were deemed to be suffering so greatly from health problems that the Oslo District Court banned the breeding of Cavaliers in Norway altogether, as their propensity for unhealthiness was considered to be a violation of the country’s Animal Welfare Act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120September 23, 2024 4:16 PM

Not that the OP cares at all but a message for others.

If you can’t spend hours walking or training a dog but you want the companionship any way consider an old(er) rescue dog. Many dogs only have a year or two left and would love a soft bed and nice people to spend their last year or two and would love to spend the day snoozing on a bed.

Some rescues will even help with vet care

Rescue groups offten have dogs exactly life this and they are not easy to place.

by Anonymousreply 121September 23, 2024 4:19 PM

Cavalier King Charles spaniels are a breathing-impaired breed (BIB) and are more likely to suffer from brachycephalic obstructive airway syndrome—a disorder that greatly limits a dog’s ability to breathe—than other types of dogs. Going for a walk, chasing a ball, running, and playing—the things that make dogs’ lives joyful and fulfilling—are impossible for many BIB dogs.

by Anonymousreply 122September 23, 2024 4:19 PM

Thanks, R120. The OP is clearly a selfish, entitled jerk, and that probably goes for his partner as well.

by Anonymousreply 123September 23, 2024 4:20 PM

My dog goes for a three mile walk every morning. He isn’t a flat faced dog and has no trouble breathing. Muzzle length varies in CKCS, but I think the BIB warning is primarily a result of the fact that Cavaliers are commonly confused with King Charles (not Cavalier)/English Toy Spaniels which are absolutely flat faced since they are half Shih Tzu.

by Anonymousreply 124September 23, 2024 4:24 PM

R4 that is so rare. Otherwise many many people wouldn't get rescue dogs. I've known hundreds of people in my lifetime that had rescue dogs and never had a problem. You're just trying to make excuses for wanting to waste a bunch of money.

by Anonymousreply 125September 23, 2024 4:25 PM

[quote]We are the “met the day Diana Died” couple from the other thread I started in her 27th.

Clearly you must style your new puppy to be 'Diana, Princess of Wales' and curtsey to her upon your first interaction each day, thereafter you may refer to her as 'Lady Di', or 'Diana', through the day.

by Anonymousreply 126September 23, 2024 4:28 PM

Great Dane

Irish Wolfhound

Abyssinian ridgeback

by Anonymousreply 127September 23, 2024 4:29 PM

I think people are conflating rescue and mutt.

by Anonymousreply 128September 23, 2024 4:29 PM

[quote]Maltese look like the dumbest dogs on earth. They act like it too. Little beady blank eyes and they white hair that turns brown around their eyes and ass. -R99

No Maltese for you, then, but as I wrote I've had one who was my heart dog (which you would, without doubt, have no idea what I'm talking about). He was smart, quick, loving, playful, gentle, cuddly when I needed him to be, an adventurous explorer, and had a real sense of humor. He knew how to play jokes on me and did right up until the end. If I put my socks and underwear on the bed and looked the other way, he'd hide one (and only one) of the socks under the pillows, and then sit back, smile, wag his tail and watch me hunt for it. And he was absolutely beautiful to the point that people would stop me on the street to tell me how beautiful he was. He loved the attention and would seek it out.

They're a high-maintenance breed. My little Buddy put up with a full bath once a week, a face and undercarriage wash once a week, and foot baths after walks. Note to those who've noted the eye stains: it's caused by the dyes in their food, specifically kibble. Feed them excellent quality kibble (there are brands that don't use dyes) or one of the so-called "real food" diets, and the stains disappear. (And ass stains are because you're too lazy to keep them clean.)

He was a total chick magnet (much to my chagrin; why couldn't it be muscle boys?). When my brother-in-law complained about no interest from women, we'd visit, take him and the dog to Starbucks and put them at a table outside while we got coffee, and by the time we got back he'd have at least one date lined up. I had a black raincoat with yellow reflective racing stripes for him, and once I had a woman hold her umbrella over him so he could pee. Nevermind that she and I got drenched, Buddy was happy, dry and relieved. When I took him into pet stores, women would offer to buy him toys and treats. It was truly, delightfully, odd.

[qote]The one against all other pets are measured and always fall short.

Yup. I have two (Shih-Tzu and Shih-Tzu mix) now and I love them to death, but they're not my Buddy. I still miss him.

by Anonymousreply 129September 23, 2024 4:34 PM

I vote Corgi!

by Anonymousreply 130September 23, 2024 4:39 PM

[quote] but I think the BIB warning is primarily a result of the fact that Cavaliers are commonly confused with King Charles (not Cavalier)/English Toy Spaniels

No confusion. And for your information, the Cavalier King Charles spaniel IS classified a flat faced breed.

by Anonymousreply 131September 23, 2024 4:41 PM

[quote] Thanks, R120. The OP is clearly a selfish, entitled jerk, and that probably goes for his partner as well.

You'll have to forgive r120. She is just so close to her period she could SCREAM!

by Anonymousreply 132September 23, 2024 4:42 PM

Datalounge is such a weird little place. It's like a game of telephone with hard of hearing seniors in an assisted living facility.

I have no idea how at least three posters are saying I requested a high energy puppy by reading my post. And act like I want to keep it in a shoebox under my bed. That truly baffles me. I love how I have become a selfish insufferable person because I don't want a rescue dog. There are a lot of amazing rescue dogs I am sure. But a good portion of them have unforeseen medical problems their owners instantly regret. I have had at least three friends who are madly, madly in love with their rescue dogs but are dealing with issues they had no idea were coming down the pike. If there are issues with a breed, I want to be well prepared to deal with them if they indeed do pop up. It's crazy how SENSITIVE people are about this issue - crazed almost.

I don't live in a house, but my apartment is about 900 square feet. It's a 500 year old building with restored 500 year old ceilings. The walls are about a foot thick and made of stone. I think the neighbors will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 133September 23, 2024 4:44 PM

[quote] He was a total chick magnet

I was walking my niece's Maltese in the LA area. There was an older guy sitting on a low brick wall. He looked depressed. As soon as he looked at the Maltese, the guy cheered up.

Maltese dogs can just cheer you up.

by Anonymousreply 134September 23, 2024 4:45 PM

R98,

Italian Greyhounds have very little body fat and a thin layer of fur, so they cannot keep themselves warm in cold weather. Some owners go over the top because it looks cute, but they genuinely need their overcoats! They are very sweet little dogs.

by Anonymousreply 135September 23, 2024 4:46 PM

Maltese dogs seem very fragile. They feel like baby rabbits under all of that hair.

by Anonymousreply 136September 23, 2024 4:47 PM

[quote]If there are issues with a breed, I want to be well prepared to deal with them if they indeed do pop up.

If there are issues with the breed, I want them to be genetic and incurable when they pop up.

[quote] It's crazy how SENSITIVE people are about this issue - crazed almost.

Right? You would think the crazies consider dogs to be intelligent, sentient, loyal, loving animals with emotions and experience pain like we do!

by Anonymousreply 137September 23, 2024 4:53 PM

R131 I hear you. I know they are. I think the classification is wrong. And I think the people who did the classification failed to distinguish between the two breeds, which have almost the same name, but very different skull shapes.

by Anonymousreply 138September 23, 2024 4:59 PM

[quote] I have had at least three friends who are madly, madly in love with their rescue dogs but are dealing with issues they had no idea were coming down the pike. If there are issues with a breed, I want to be well prepared to deal with them if they indeed do pop up.

But (1) there are likely to be fewer health issues with a rescue dog, who is very unlikely to be pure-bred, and (2) if you're concerned about the health of a rescue dog, you can have it thoroughly checked out by a vet before you agree to adopt. And (3) of course, not all health potential health issues have to do with a breed, and AGAIN, there are likely to be more breed-related health issues with a pure-bred dog than a rescue who is a mix.

by Anonymousreply 139September 23, 2024 5:07 PM

[quote]If there are issues with the breed, I want them to be genetic and incurable when they pop up.

Thanks, R137. This does seem to be the OP's idiotic point of view. But he keeps doubling down, so there doesn't seem to be any reasoning with him.

by Anonymousreply 140September 23, 2024 5:08 PM

[quote] If there are issues with a breed, I want to be well prepared to deal with them if they indeed do pop up.

I'm thinking a stuffed toy might be more appropriate for you and yours. Dogs don't come with a lifetime warranty.

by Anonymousreply 141September 23, 2024 5:09 PM

There are tons of pure bred dogs in rescues since that is where the puppy mills dump their unwanted dogs.

People are conflating mutts with rescues. And probably also not distinguishing rescues (which vary widely in purpose and are often breed specific) from pounds.

by Anonymousreply 142September 23, 2024 5:16 PM

Havanese are great little dogs - with the friendly and lively personality of the Bichon-type dogs but with a silky Shih-Tzu-like coat that comes in many colors (you don’t have to manage tear-staining like you do with their all-white cousins like Bichon Frisés and Maltese) and can be clipped short for easier maintenance.

They don’t have flat faces like Shih Tzus, the breed-endemic health problems of CKCs, and they are bigger and less fragile than Maltese. The have great energy but definitely have an off-switch, though like all Bichon-type dogs, they tend to be slow to housetrain and want to be with you all the time and can be prone to separation anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 143September 23, 2024 5:26 PM

R137 and r140 you come off as fanatics. You sound as if you are rescues from bad homes yourselves.

[quote]Shelter dogs tend to have a higher incidence of certain health problems compared to dogs obtained from breeders. This is primarily due to the unknown medical histories and backgrounds of shelter dogs. Shelter animals may have experienced neglect, abuse, or poor living conditions prior to entering the shelter, which can contribute to medical issues. Additionally, many shelter dogs are mixed breeds, making their genetic predispositions less predictable. In contrast, dogs from reputable breeders or pet stores often have known health histories and are bred with the intention of producing healthy, well-socialized companions. However, it's important to note that responsible breeders and ethical pet stores prioritize the health and wellbeing of their animals. With proper veterinary care and responsible ownership, shelter dogs can thrive just as much as dogs from other sources.

Knowing your breeds particular genetic predispositions is a VERY important part of keeping them healthy and giving them a long, happy life.

Not all breeders are puppy mills. And it isn't hard to find a reputable, certified breeder registered with the National Kennel Club of whatever country, for any type of dog you are interested in. Responsible breeders work to strengthen the breed of the dog they are working with.

I do wish you would please give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 144September 23, 2024 6:06 PM

If you live in Italy get a fucking cat. Get two cats. Dogs are infamite!

by Anonymousreply 145September 23, 2024 6:10 PM

There are two many ferrel cats in Italy. The risk of one getting out is too great. Besides I am a dog person. I had both cats and dogs growing up. I much prefer dogs.

by Anonymousreply 146September 23, 2024 6:24 PM

Whatever you do - please buy one that doesn't bark or howl all day when you're gone.

by Anonymousreply 147September 23, 2024 6:31 PM

Fortunately r147, I work from home. The crazy thing is, all of these years one of us has always been home for various reasons. But we never got a dog. When you're younger you always think your life is about to take off and you're gonna travel the globe or something. But either work, or various times of unemployment, one of us have always been home and we would have been great dog parents. Probably would have had at least two dogs by now.

That's what makes me think Boston Terriers might be a good bet from what I am reading. They are family dogs in need of a lot of attention and cuddling and sometimes have separation issues. One of us will always be around for the most part, and cuddling is exactly what we want to do.

by Anonymousreply 148September 23, 2024 6:50 PM

Dachshunds are cutie pies, as well as Corgis.

by Anonymousreply 149September 23, 2024 6:54 PM

Anyone that thinks there is less risk with a brand new puppy , that has not even begun to show problems, than a more adult dog that has been throughly vetted by a rescue group is likely to be in for a large shock someday.

The rescue group eats the initial vet bills, screening, vax, and needed Rx. They are invested in not giving dogs away that will be significant problems for those that adopt. And when health issues are there and everyone knows it the rescue group IME stands behind the vet bills.

They want happy customers and good publicity.

Either way get vet insurance. And when you get tired of your over active puppy that is driving you crazy make sure to find a great rescue group to take it in.

by Anonymousreply 150September 23, 2024 6:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 23, 2024 7:02 PM

R144 I'll give it a rest if you stop with the breeder propaganda, it's nauseating.

[quote] Knowing your breeds particular genetic predispositions is a VERY important part of keeping them healthy and giving them a long, happy life.

No one said you shouldn't be prepared if you're going to buy an inbred animal that comes with genetic conditions that cause pain, discomfort and debilitation. Stop with the straw man arguments and go buy your accessory animal. I'm sick of this thread popping up.

by Anonymousreply 152September 23, 2024 7:07 PM

Why are you SO invested in changing my mind r150, writing tomes of warnings? Any normal person would have given it a rest. What issue are you really working out, because it obviously has nothing to do with me and the decisions I am making for my own life? I have raised dogs from puppies before. I am not new to the dog world. I enjoy the bond formed from raising a dog from a puppy and watching it grow. I like looking back at pictures of my dog's growth through the years and the memories surrounding that. Dog's live for such a short period of time, and I want to be there for ALL of my dog's life. This isn't about convenience and finding the easiest way to have a pet. This is about finding the perfect match when it comes to introducing a new family member into our lives that will bring us joy, hopefully for the next 10 to 13 years.

by Anonymousreply 153September 23, 2024 7:07 PM

[quote]I'm sick of this thread popping up.

Guess what we're sick of R152...

by Anonymousreply 154September 23, 2024 7:08 PM

I've adopted retired racing greyhounds and they are great apartment dogs- and just great dogs all around.

They can run, but not often and sleep all the time. They are housebroken, non-barkers (usually) are used to people and are gentle and loving. They are NOT LABS, so don't expect a dog who can swim or play fetch, but they just like being with you and are very sweet.

by Anonymousreply 155September 23, 2024 8:34 PM

Well now, Op! It does seem that you have received quite a variety of opinions on good dogs for your selection. Along the way, you have picked up the usual number of trolls and doom sayers who find fault with whatever you suggest.

As you have been advised, and I have also used, about the many websites and information about all these breeds. May I suggest you look not only at the suggestions, rejections, website information, but also into your gut feelings and what your heart is telling you to do?

Having any animal is a long commitment. My dear Sam, the Cavalier, is nine going on ten and has never had any health problems. That is because I have done a lot of research on the breed, feed him fresh food, as well as the best kibble, and tend to his specific exercise and needs, as well as vet expertise. I cannot say I do any more or less than any other sagacious owner, but my Sam has rewarded me with so much joy and love that any of his needs are considered my pleasure to resolve.

I am sure you have thought quite a bit about what friend you could adopt that would be best for your life and circumstances. I urge you to look down the road 5, 10 or even 15 years to how this animal will grow and need your help, love and respect during his entire life. I always hope that people do not adopt animals as a disposable commodity, but it happens every day. Certainly my Sam may have problems, and I have always been warned about the possibility, but I am willing to go the long road with him. I hope you will too with your new lifetime companion.

by Anonymousreply 156September 23, 2024 8:35 PM

I couldn't have said it better, Tallulah.

by Anonymousreply 157September 23, 2024 8:42 PM

Pet stores that sell dogs, puppy mills, and most “breeders” should be stoned and then put out of business.

by Anonymousreply 158September 23, 2024 8:56 PM

I know some people who have rescued retired racing greyhounds, and they couldn't fathom the concept of stairs, poor things.

by Anonymousreply 159September 23, 2024 8:59 PM

I follow a retired racing greyhound on IG called Risk It All Paul. He is so funny. When he was first adopted he didn't know how to climb stairs and was afraid to walk on hardwood floors so his parents put runners and area rugs all over their apartment. He is a total couch potato but goes out on walks and is very social and well dressed. He still likes to run and play but with his people.

I have a Golden Retriever (a purebred rescue, adopted at 14 months) with no issues yet (he's 4). He would make a great apartment dog. I mostly work from home. We go on two short walks and one or two longer walks (30+ minutes) every day. When I have the dog walker come it's for a long walk in the early afternoon. He almost never barks and is very social around other people and dogs but loses interest in them after about 10 minutes. I'll take him to the dog park once in a while but he'd prefer to just play with me. He does meet some dog friends at a beach we go to in the off season, and the Goldens and Labs are the only idiots who will go in the freezing water.

The only thing I will caution you to consider very carefully is that your schedule will evolve around them. They don't care if it's pouring rain, or the movie is about to start, or your dinner will be ready in 5 minutes. If you go out you have to get a dog walker or make sure you are back in time for a walk. The walks can't just be just for them to relieve themselves and go back in. Your walks together are bonding time, pack time, and should be enjoyed. I see so many city dog owners staring down at their phones while walking their dogs, and ignoring them. If I can pick up on the bad energy they give off it makes me sad to imagine how the dog feels.

by Anonymousreply 160September 23, 2024 9:09 PM

[quote] Pet stores that sell dogs, puppy mills, and most “breeders” should be stoned and then put out of business.

I disagree. It all depends on the trace of pedigree. I bought my Sam at a Pet Store, but there was a complete trace and registration of his pedigree along with certifications of his breed, handling and health certificates. If the owner is aware of what is needed in documentation to determine a pet's health, everything works very smoothly.

by Anonymousreply 161September 23, 2024 9:13 PM

That adorable Dog breed from “Frasier” looked to be ideal. I think it’s called a Jack Tussle Terrier.

by Anonymousreply 162September 23, 2024 9:17 PM

Jack Russells are high energy dogs. A working breed. You need to really train them or they can get destructive and barky. When they're properly trained, they're great dogs.

by Anonymousreply 163September 23, 2024 9:21 PM

[quote] I bought my Sam at a Pet Store, but there was a complete trace and registration of his pedigree along with certifications of his breed, handling and health certificates.

Where did that information come from?

by Anonymousreply 164September 23, 2024 9:22 PM

That was beautiful Tallulah R156.

R160 I totally agree about the phones. Addicted as I am to mine, I don’t take it on walks.

Getting a dog from a shelter, whether from a rescue or a pound is a noble thing, but it means that the dog has experienced some real trauma in its life; whether it was abandoned by its owner, its owner died, its an aged out puppy mill parent or it spent a long time in a pet store and failed to find a buyer. Ideally very few dogs would be rescues because dogs shouldn’t need to go through such traumatic experiences to find a home. I really don’t get the animosity against all breeders. Puppies don’t grow in a cabbage patch and they aren’t brought by the stork. Responsible breeders who do genetic testing, screen buyers and don’t breed more than they can place do a great service to society.

by Anonymousreply 165September 23, 2024 9:31 PM

How big is your flat? Depending on the breed, it's probably not big enough. A day is long, and even if you go out frequently and take long walks, your dog will still be inside for 20 hours. Breeds to strike from the list here are ... #1 Jack Russels. They love to be part of your day, and if you're outside a lot like on a farm, it's ideal and they are super chill. If not, they'll probably eat your shoes. Otherwise, the most amazing dogs, and insanely clever. Also not an option: dalmatians. They are bred to look good next to a carriage and love running - a lot. They are not the brightest ones in my experience and easier to please. They hate being alone. Also, unpopular opinion: Dogs are pack animals, and even if you are a replacement in some respect, I think that dogs should have at least one other dog around do to dog stuff (you know, like sniffing their butts and talking smack about their owners.) Schnauzers are relatively large dogs as well. Consider that it might be less manageable to transport a large dog and get it up the stairs should they be injured (or getting old). Don't think about it as "I want a dog", ask yourself if you can give the dog (or dogs) a really good life, (almost) every day.

by Anonymousreply 166September 23, 2024 9:33 PM

OP if y ou truly do live in Florence Italy I have a not dog related question: What do you think of Fiesole? It's a t own just about Florence. In fact you can drive up and look down on Florence. Great views. I always dreamed of going back and finding an apartment there.

by Anonymousreply 167September 23, 2024 9:43 PM

The universe of dogs available from non-breeders in Italy might be very different than in the U.S. It seems like in the northeast they are either pitbulls (AKA “lab mix,” “shepherd mix,” “boxer mix,” “anything but the truth mix”, etc.) or they are dogs imported from the Caribbean, who are borderline feral.

[quote] Anyone that thinks there is less risk with a brand new puppy , that has not even begun to show problems, than a more adult dog that has been throughly vetted by a rescue group is likely to be in for a large shock someday.

Yes, the pit bulls are throughly vetted. Please.

OP is obligated to take good care of the dog he chooses. He’s not obligated to take on a dog that was poorly raised by someone else.

by Anonymousreply 168September 23, 2024 10:30 PM

[quote] Responsible breeders who do genetic testing, screen buyers and don’t breed more than they can place do a great service to society.

What "society"? The society of consumers that demand genetically compromised designer dogs? People who believe it's their god-given right to add to the problem of overpopulation? And just what is the great service of breeders? Making money from forcing females to breed until they're used up and then dumped onto rescue organizations? . And the worst places just kill them. Some have been buried alive.

Puppies don't grow in cabbage patches because they're not vegetables. And the poster who bought from a pet shop is really a dotard. Even so-called responsible breeders don't sell to pet shops. If you haven't seen for yourself where the puppy has lived then you can't talk about responsible anything. Do you know how low the U.S. standards are for breeders?

There are more than 40 million dogs that need a home. Bringing more dogs into the world is unethical and cruel.

by Anonymousreply 169September 23, 2024 11:29 PM

German Shepherd. They require lots of exercise, especially if you live in an apartment. It forces you to get off of your ass more often to take them out.

I had a GSD and lived in an apartment. I walked her 3-4 times a day. Sometimes those walks were also jogs. Kept me in excellent shape. I miss her. Fuck cancer. :(

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170September 23, 2024 11:37 PM

^ Also, if getting a large dog, get a female.

by Anonymousreply 171September 23, 2024 11:42 PM

Get something with long hair, preferably female so you can put cute bows on her an dress her up. You snobby queens sound real fussy and like a lot of work so that kind of dog fits you.

by Anonymousreply 172September 24, 2024 12:04 AM

Shiba inu

by Anonymousreply 173September 24, 2024 12:08 AM

That’s a good suggestion for an apartment dog.

by Anonymousreply 174September 24, 2024 12:12 AM

For the love of god OP, just outsource your purchase to an agent and take what you get and give it a good life no matter what arises. Use the stick up your ass to good use for a change and play fetch with dog.

by Anonymousreply 175September 24, 2024 12:43 AM

I had a German shepherd mix when I was a little kid. Part collie, too. But she was more like a mini German Shepherd. Good dog. Very nice-looking and nice temperament.

by Anonymousreply 176September 24, 2024 3:05 AM

People who don’t understand how ethical breeding works have themselves led a very sheltered life. Their only exposure to thoroughbred dogs are exposés on puppy mills or factories that pump out an endless supply of dogs. That’s not the case. When I was a kid and got my Rottie, Mahogany, my family researched far and wide - because there can be so many issues, some dangerous, with picking the wrong Rottweiler. We found a family who had been working hard to breed out aggression, certain genetical ailments from the breed. We got our puppy from them and she was the sweetest part of our life for twelve years.

Responsible breeders weed out genetic issues not exacerbate them. But the screaming Karens on here will never hear this.

by Anonymousreply 177September 24, 2024 8:23 AM

R161 stoned maybe harsh? Or not.

Put out of business, In my country the last pet store that opened and sold dogs was closed by outrage and authorities within weeks or months. It’s the concept that is bad not the dogs

And that had nothing to do with selling quality breeds with excellent paperwork or not,

by Anonymousreply 178September 24, 2024 9:19 AM

R167, I’m embarrassed to say I’ve never been to Fiesole, and it’s like a 20 minute bus ride away. I’ve been to most of the major cities in Tuscany - Siena, Pisa, Lucca, Viareggio, San Gemignano, Chianti. But I’ve never been there. Maybe because it just feels like part of Florence. But it does have great views of Florence.

It’s more country, mountain, small town Italian living - winding small roads, wild boars, olive tree grove. And it’s just one of the towns along the mountain range overlooking Florence. It’s where Debi Mazar and her husband Gabriele call home now. Gabriele’s dad passed away and they moved back to Italy about the same time we did (after Covid) to take care of his father’s property and Olive tree grove. I sometimes see him driving through Florence.

I will get up there one day. I’m turning 50 next year and am planning a big family birthday party and I am considering Fiesole as a location because of its authentic Tuscan lifestyle and great views

I used to live over in Borgo Ognissanti (Santa Croce area now) and this was the view of Fiesole out of my window. Fiesole is the town in the mountains in the distance. It’s like the “Hollywood Hills” of Florence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179September 24, 2024 9:38 AM

Shiba is a good choice, too. Very intelligent.

But don’t they shed a lot?

by Anonymousreply 180September 24, 2024 12:55 PM

^ I was wondering that too. My husband loves pugs, but they stink and shed a lot too. On top of their medical problems, it would be a completely different lifestyle for us. And with pugs I have been told it is best to have two to keep each other company.

by Anonymousreply 181September 24, 2024 1:08 PM

Wire Fox Terriers are great apartment dogs. They are pretty small and they don’t shed and bark rarely. But you have to exercise them a lot.

by Anonymousreply 182September 24, 2024 1:24 PM

R177, whatever your arguments, your use of the idiotic, already dated "Karen" meme is telling.

by Anonymousreply 183September 24, 2024 3:45 PM

A Mastiff

by Anonymousreply 184September 24, 2024 4:30 PM

OP is not exactly taking suggestions, he has asked for suggestions and has rejected most.

by Anonymousreply 185September 24, 2024 4:38 PM

A Dingo

by Anonymousreply 186September 24, 2024 4:44 PM

Coton de Tulear. Very clonable.

by Anonymousreply 187September 24, 2024 4:48 PM

[quote] A Dingo

What do they like to eat?

by Anonymousreply 188September 24, 2024 4:57 PM

Save a life - go to a rescue or shelter and adopt a small mutt. They’re healthier genetically and tend to live longer. They don’t suffer the diseases purebreds often have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189September 24, 2024 5:01 PM

Somehow I screwed that link up. I meant Petfinder.com

by Anonymousreply 190September 24, 2024 5:02 PM

My aunt and cousin got Shibas together, siblings. They're good little/medium dogs, but only affectionate to their owners. Not friendly (avoids) to strangers.

by Anonymousreply 191September 24, 2024 5:07 PM

I think a pug can be an "only child."

by Anonymousreply 192September 24, 2024 5:25 PM

R188

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193September 24, 2024 5:58 PM

R185, "taking suggestions" and "asking for suggestions," colloquially, are the same thing. I have taken suggestions. I am looking into the Cavalier King Charles. Actually I was just in the supermarket and someone had one. Cute dogs. I had never really looked at them twice before this thread. I am also looking into Boston Terriers as well, as several posters have mentioned. I wish beagles weren't so energetic and in need of exercise, because that's my kind of dog.

Guess what I won't be getting though? A MUTT!

by Anonymousreply 194September 24, 2024 5:59 PM

Beagles are needy hussies

by Anonymousreply 195September 24, 2024 7:24 PM

A Pure breed unsullied by lesser breeds . It’s all that mixing of what should never be mixed that is the problem..

The OP understands the need for a pure blood line

by Anonymousreply 196September 25, 2024 10:59 AM

Just to throw another breed into the mix. Tibetan Terrier meets all your criteria, like Bostons, they're not true terriers. Very sweet, long hair but they don't shed too much. I think they'd go great in Florence. They'll bark when someone's at the door, if you want that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197September 25, 2024 12:26 PM

This thread is really random and anecdotal, so I can only speak to the three breeds I’ve had. As a kid, we had GSDs, and that’s obviously a big no for apartments. I found little dogs as an adult because of my lifestyle and living conditions. I’ve had a pug and currently a Boston terrier. Both are wonderful breeds, but I’d say a pug is slightly better for apartment living than Bostons because Bostons need much more exercise. Bostons have a surprisingly high level of athleticism and endurance. So much so they often compete in agility. They need a at least a couple hours of activity per day. Pugs need much less play and mainly pee and poo walks suffice, but you need to pay really close attention turn their weight doesn’t creep up. Pugs have an undercoat that sheds like mad whereas Bostons have a super smooth coat that requires almost no grooming, so Bostons definitely win on that measure. I save a lot of money and time with a Boston versus other breeds that require more upkeep. Check out the groomer groups in Reddit for the low down what to expect on any breed…especially Doodles, Both pugs and Bostons are brachy (flat faced) breeds, so they are heat sensitive. I had my pug in the 90s before they were so popular. Now there are so many bad breeders and health issues, I’d be super cautious and only get one from a high quality breeder that tests for BOAS, eye issues, skin issues, etc. Bostons are mainly susceptible to eye issues and knee issues like luxating patellas. Regardless of the breed you get, know the potential health issues. Good luck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198September 25, 2024 12:58 PM

A debarked chihuahua.

by Anonymousreply 199September 25, 2024 1:12 PM

Thank you r198. Are you for real when you say Bostons need at least a couple of hours a day of activity per day? And is that activity like playing fetch or does that include walks around outside, in your opinion?

by Anonymousreply 200September 25, 2024 1:53 PM

R200 I grew up with two Bostons (two boys, not related to another). Three walks a day, with one if them a bit longer and maybe playing some fetch, was sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 201September 25, 2024 3:40 PM

Jack Russell Terrier. They are SO cute!!!

by Anonymousreply 202September 25, 2024 4:52 PM

Cavalier king charles spaniel. Best dog breed. Calm, quiet, cuddly, sweet. Perfect for apartment living.

by Anonymousreply 203September 25, 2024 5:09 PM

Jimmy Buffett and his cavaliers. Even he couldn't resist those faces!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204September 25, 2024 6:18 PM

I already have the name picked out I think. At least I am circling it the name. Capisco. Cappy for short.

by Anonymousreply 205September 26, 2024 1:30 PM

But you haven't chosen a dog? It's hard to pre-name an animal without seeing their personality,

by Anonymousreply 206September 26, 2024 1:54 PM

For pity's sake, OP, please stop. PLEASE. I'm begging you.

by Anonymousreply 207September 26, 2024 1:57 PM

200 comments in, you being R207, I think I am good. You can stop chasing waterfalls.

by Anonymousreply 208September 26, 2024 2:08 PM

Any dog with “terrier” in its breed name needs tons of exercise and activity.

by Anonymousreply 209September 26, 2024 2:09 PM

What's your name r206, Pale Bullet Head? It's not that hard to name an animal before getting it, especially a puppy. It's a dog not a christening. Humans are named all the time before they are born. Not much different for an animal.

by Anonymousreply 210September 26, 2024 2:14 PM

"Capisco," R205 / OP? Are you sure you don't want an Italian Greyhound?

by Anonymousreply 211September 26, 2024 2:24 PM

Friends have a Cavalier King Charles spaniel. She is indeed a sweetheart and very happy in their Manhattan apartment.

by Anonymousreply 212September 26, 2024 3:10 PM

OP

I'm not a dog person so I won't weigh in on the dog issue, but I would like to know how you ended up living in Florence, Italy, and what you two do for a living.

by Anonymousreply 213September 26, 2024 3:40 PM

R213 there is a whole thread about. I haven’t posted there in a while.

Long story short we came on language school student Visas. It is NOT easy. It takes a lot of work and waiting. But it’s doable. We lived on Rome two years and Now Florence for just over a year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214September 26, 2024 3:55 PM

Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 215September 26, 2024 3:58 PM

Make sure to consider separation anxiety when living in an apartment....avoid neighbor complaints.

by Anonymousreply 216September 26, 2024 4:44 PM

[quote]I feel bad for the poor dog. It’s not likely that a reputable rescue group would give a high energy puppy to people living in an apt with no fenced in back yard to the OP.

Not the OP but I see very few anxious or poorly behaved dogs in Europe, certainly it's a marked difference relative the number in the US.

by Anonymousreply 217September 26, 2024 5:33 PM

Fenced in yards are ok I suppose if you have multiple dogs who play with each other. What's a lone dog supposed to do by himself outside besides pee and shit? I prefer to walk my dog throughout the day so he's not using one area of the yard as his toilet every day. In addition to it being bonding time for us, his walks are when he socializes, discovers new places, gets exercise. The thought of a dog hanging out alone in a backyard is very sad.

by Anonymousreply 218September 26, 2024 5:44 PM

R218, I think just about any dog would enjoy having the OPTION of a fenced-in yard for when they just feel like running around, or as a place where their human can play ball or fetch the stick with them. Doesn't mean they're going to want to spend lots of time out there, or that they're going to use the yard to poop or pee. So I find your perspective on this very weird.

by Anonymousreply 219September 26, 2024 5:48 PM

Some people with fenced in back yards don’t think they need to walk their dogs, which leads to a very boring life for the dog.

by Anonymousreply 220September 26, 2024 5:51 PM

But those are SOME people, not all people. And not anyone who really loves dogs.

by Anonymousreply 221September 26, 2024 5:54 PM

r219, I should have made that clear that I was responding to someone who stated earlier in the thread that a reputable rescue organization would be unlikely to place a high energy puppy in a home without a fenced in back yard. That to me is absurd and a projection of a very small world view. The majority of urban dwellers worldwide live in apartments. Not everyone aspires to the "suburban dream" and manages quite well without fenced in back yards for their dogs.

by Anonymousreply 222September 26, 2024 5:59 PM

Thanks for clarifying, R222. And for the record, I don't believe it's true that "a reputable rescue organization would be unlikely to place a high energy puppy in a home without a fenced in back yard." And I have been fostering dogs for a few years now, so I know more than a little about the subject.

by Anonymousreply 223September 26, 2024 7:35 PM

My rescue Cavalier King Charles spaniel loves to eat apples. We will share one sitting on the couch. When he wants a bite he’ll touch my arm, and I will pass him a piece.

by Anonymousreply 224September 26, 2024 9:12 PM

Ummm R224 are you quoting me from another thread, because that would be super creepy.

by Anonymousreply 225September 26, 2024 9:25 PM

OP, why do you want to breed with a dog in an apartment?

Wouldn't a rural shed or barn be more cinematographically satisfactory?

by Anonymousreply 226September 26, 2024 9:40 PM

You tried it Mr. Hands...

by Anonymousreply 227September 26, 2024 10:06 PM

Miniature chihuahua, OP. Bathe it weekly by popping it into a large coffee mug filled with warm water and a drop of Palmolive liquid soap, then just stir.

by Anonymousreply 228September 27, 2024 1:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!