Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

His Three Daughters

No. joke, Natasha Lyonne truly deserves an Oscar nomination for this

Well done, and she SHOULD be a shoe-in

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2024 6:17 PM

OP = Natasha Lyonne.

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2024 4:09 AM

No R1- she is really THAT good-

All 3 actresses are stellar, but she deserves a nomination

by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2024 4:33 AM

A “shoe-in”?

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2024 4:51 AM

I saw the trailer when I was browsing Netflix yesterday. It looks soooo good. I’m glad to hear it actually is good.

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2024 5:18 AM

[quote]His Three Daughters

King Lear?

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2024 5:29 AM

New York Times Critics Pick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2024 5:37 AM

Is it fucking SHOO IN? Oh dear to me...

WTF does that even mean. I will go google it

All 3 actresses were outstanding actually.

I would say that Natasha did the best- but they are all great.

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2024 2:23 PM

Don’t even get OP started on their intensive purposes!

by Anonymousreply 8September 22, 2024 3:19 PM

OP how embarrassing for you - we always include links in posts such as this. Do better next time.

by Anonymousreply 9September 22, 2024 3:36 PM

INTENTS AND PORPOISES, R8! Oh deer, you cunt!

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2024 7:34 PM

Natasha Lyonne is a Boss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2024 10:40 PM

Carrie Coon is also excellent as a brittle, bitter wife and mother.

The last 15 minutes will be polarizing. I hated the ending.

by Anonymousreply 12September 22, 2024 10:51 PM

Elizabeth Olsen Is great in Everything.

by Anonymousreply 13September 22, 2024 11:51 PM

I'm about an hour in and I can't wait for the fucker to die and now you're telling me it gets worse? Oh no, do they all give him a lethal dose? If so, I'm going to be so pissed off.

by Anonymousreply 14September 22, 2024 11:58 PM

Trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 23, 2024 9:08 AM

I have loved Natasha since But I'm A Cheerleader. I'm so glad to see she conquered her addictions and is back on track. I will watch her in anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 23, 2024 4:22 PM

OP, please think about learning English before you post. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 17September 23, 2024 4:24 PM

I have a very bad feeling Ryan Murphy will force Natasha to portray Fran Lebowitz.

by Anonymousreply 18September 23, 2024 4:27 PM

I love Natasha Lyonne. She's extremely charismatic and I'll watch her in anything.

by Anonymousreply 19September 23, 2024 4:49 PM

Would all three sisters be considered leads?

by Anonymousreply 20September 23, 2024 4:57 PM

Carrie Coon will apparently be put in Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 21September 23, 2024 6:14 PM

Natasha Lyonne was good, but an Oscar nod?? She basically smoked joints and moped around.

I think Carrie Coon and Elizabeth Olsen (I had no idea her siblings were those trashy twins) definitely get a nod. Also, Jovan Adepo (supporting actor, maybe?).

by Anonymousreply 22September 23, 2024 8:20 PM

Articles about her are always the same fluff. She went from child/teen actor to hard core druggie to off-off Broadway to OITNB to Armisen’s girlfriend and indie actor and then suddenly an auteur! Writer, director, show runner, entrepreneur with her own production company. Nobody ever asks her about this in any detail. They just list off her many hats as though any actor can type out Russian Doll or direct when the mood strikes them. There’s a hell of an untold hell of a story there. I’d lobe to hear it!

Pre Ozempic she could have played Mae West. She voices her when she reads Mae’s Playboy interview on Audible and she participated in the PBS doc about West so perhaps she was also saw herself in the role.

by Anonymousreply 23September 23, 2024 9:54 PM

This is more of a play than a film. It's talky and claustrophobic, to the point that when at last it moves to an outside scene, you almost feel like you're breathing in cold fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2024 6:48 AM

R24 Perfect description.

It was okay. Nothing groundbreaking. I love Lyonne but not used to seeing her in dramatic roles. It was kinda uncomfortable, but her character is pretty one-dimensional, so she knocked that out of the park. Olsen was the star here. I still trip on her being an Olsen sibling.

Did anyone else find the Angel character a little slimy? I get what he was trying to do but is that characterization fairly accurate of people in his profession?

I hope I'm NEVER in that situation

by Anonymousreply 25September 24, 2024 11:33 AM

The plot grated on me from the start because of the completely strange view of how hospice care at home works. There are no vital sign bedside monitors, no alarms, and no frantic rush to get an MD to sign a DNR order. If the family knows that the man wanted to be a DNR, there is no need for the recurrent plot device of needing a form signed by the patient and the MD. If someone is on hospice you generally don't call 911 or seek hospital level care unless the family is overwhelmed or the patient is in discomfort despite the hospice meds. Plus every hospice patient has an MD/provider assigned to their case.

For a movie with a chosen hospice theme, the writer/director/producer should have at least looked into what hospice is and is not.

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2024 3:05 AM

R24 wow you’re a really good film critic. That’s exactly the experience. I couldn’t even articulate it while viewing but that’s what it is. I think Natasha is great and should get an Oscar nod.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2024 3:25 AM

I liked it, but couldn't pay attention. I don't understand which of the daughters had the same mom.

by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2024 3:41 AM

Natasha and the one that’s not the Olsen sister.

by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2024 4:00 AM

[quote]Natasha Lyonne, Carrie Coon and Elizabeth Olsen play sisters who are caring for their dying father in this tender, funny family drama.

That sounds like the premise to this 2000 dramedy starring Diane Keaton, Meg Ryan, Lisa Kudrow, and Walter Mathau.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2024 4:12 AM

It was confusing that the oldest and youngest had the same parents while the middle one had different ones.

by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2024 4:21 PM

That was not the case. The oldest and the youngest have the same mother and father. Then their mom died, and their dad got married to Natasha Lyonne's mom who already had a daughter (Natasha), who was older than the youngest girl from his previous marriage. Natasha is not related by blood to any of them. The dad raised her as his own, but she is his stepdaughter.

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2024 4:55 PM

^^So, yeah it actually WAS the case.

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2024 4:56 PM

R30 that was another Nora Ephron stinker so I doubt anyone was copying it.

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2024 5:36 PM

R26 -- yes, FFS, the whole idea of hospice is that there'll be no further medical intervention except minimization of pain. The DNR thing was a lame device to make the Carrie Coon character yet more one-dimensionally uptight and avoidant. Elizabeth Olsen had the role that felt fresh. Natasha Lyonne was playing what has by now become the Natasha Lyonne character (tough but tender; in touch with the real people on the street), and Carrie Coon got a familiar, stale version of Woman Who Does Things Wrong -- which admittedly does tend to draw critical acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2024 6:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!