Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mark My Words: Merrick Garland will be the first to be replaced

MMW Merrick Garland will be among the first casualties of a new Harris administration

Merrick Garland will be among the first positions to change should Harris win

Garland is pretty much the definition of a pick who embodies Biden's style of calm, high-road centrist policy. Many have been disappointed by his lack of aggression regarding the defence of democracy and the prosecution of officials blatantly breaking laws, but I'm not surprised in the slightest. That was never going to be him, or Biden. They're both too status-quo, too establishment.

One of the largest differences I have noted between the Biden campaign and the Harris campaign is the level of aggression and tolerance for bullshit. Biden was very high-and-mighty and very tolerant. Harris, significantly less so. She is unafraid to campaign with low blows and personal insults, unafraid to call bullshit right to someone's face, and supports a more assertive attitude when it comes to prosecuting a defence of the law itself.

So, MMW, should Harris win, Garland will be one of the very first people replaced, and his replacement will be _noticeably_ more aggressive towards people flaunting the rule of law. I expect multiple subpoenas and indictments against everyone from Senators and Representatives at both the federal and state level, to billionaires like Musk, to local election workers, sheriffs, and police chiefs. I expect to see them being enforced with far greater assertion. I expect to see officials who refuse to comply with legal so poe as simply arrested and thrown in jail until they do so.

I can even see a new Harris DOJ persuing charges of corruption and accepting bribes against multiple Supreme Court justices.

She is more aggressive, more assertive, more confident than Biden.

And I'm totally here for it.

by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2024 8:18 PM

Garland, DeJoy... get the fuck on with it!

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2024 7:18 PM

As he should be.

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2024 7:19 PM

Stupidity coming ashore.. every cabinet member offers resignation after an election, or it is requested, after each election.

No one, but no one, except the idiot Op, would ever expect Garland to be AG past Noon on Jan 20, 2025.

You can return to mamma’s basement laundry room.

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2024 7:23 PM

[quote]She is more aggressive, more assertive, more confident than Biden.

It remains to be seen what she's like as president. Campaign is one thing, but her actual administration might be quite different.

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2024 7:24 PM

Dr. Rachel Levine needs to go too.

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2024 7:25 PM

Yeah, the new POTUS gets to pick his / her own cabinet and makes appointments how they want to. I'm sure there have been carry-over appointments.

However, Alan Greenspan (appointed by Reagan) did serve under a few POTUSes.

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2024 7:29 PM

[quote]r5 = Dr. Rachel Levine needs to go too.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2024 7:51 PM

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2024 7:52 PM

Fed Chairs have a term of office.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2024 7:54 PM

The bigger question I have is Pete. Will he jump to yet another new job or try to stick it out as Sec or Transportation? Knowing Pete, his lake wide, puddle deep resume, he'll jump ship.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2024 7:59 PM

R3: You have the manners of one raised in a barnyard, fouling every thread you participate in.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2024 8:12 PM

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2024 8:27 PM

Modern internet: if you can’t bother to learn the basics of federal appointments, go fuck yourself before you post.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2024 8:28 PM

duh is not an answer. Why does Levine need to go? She doesn't do her job? She has been benefitting too much? She's doing stuff that is illegal?

She is part of the group that needs to be discriminated against? and if this is the answer just how is she harming you?

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2024 8:41 PM

No shit.

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2024 8:46 PM

I hope you're right. He's not doing anything about Elon Musk interfering in our election.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2024 4:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2024 4:16 PM

Garland was a colossal disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2024 4:23 PM

One possible problem, OP:

Senate confirmation.

If GOP controls the Senate then I doubt anyone gets “fired” since she won’t be able to officially replace them.

I personally believe she is enough of an institutionalist to attempt to govern with acting appointments.

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2024 4:24 PM

I know this post is from September but how fucking stupid is the OP.

The entire Biden Administration is expected to be replaced. This is widely expected. All appointments will tender their resignation - as is protocol when a new President is elected - and Harris will appoint new people.

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2024 4:24 PM

[quote]Mark My Words

I asked and Muriel told me I don't have to if I don't want to.

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2024 4:26 PM

“To NOT attempt” that should say.

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2024 4:39 PM

She needs to replace him with Sally Yates, STAT

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2024 5:09 PM

She needs to replace him with Jack Smith.

by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2024 6:48 PM

She needs to win first, which is starting to look unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2024 6:55 PM

She needs to replace him with Tish James.

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2024 7:00 PM

Clearly there are much better candidates already mentioned above than Merrick Garland. I know why Joe put him there, but what a disappointment.

I believe Pete B. will continue to have a role in the Harris Administration - just might not be Transportation Secretary. He needs to expand his experience.

by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2024 7:06 PM

[quote]She needs to win first, which is starting to look unlikely.

So the fake polls are working!

by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2024 7:19 PM

Regarding Pete and

[quote]his lake wide, puddle deep resume

I'd like to know what's "lake wide" and "puddle deep" about being Secretary of Transportation for almost 4 years and overseeing the largest infrastructure bill in the modern era? Or about serving in the Navy Reserves (for 8 years) and deploying to Afghanistan? Or about being Mayor of South Bend for 8 years?

Or perhaps you, R10, can post your resume... for comparison purposes.

by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2024 7:28 PM

[quote]She needs to win first, which is starting to look unlikely.

The fuck?? The polls remain largely unchanged, aside from Nate Silver's bullshit ones. Nothing is "starting to look unlikely." Sadly, I'd say the same thing about Trump: barring another October surprise, the race is a legitimate toss-up.

by Anonymousreply 30October 22, 2024 7:35 PM

I'm admittedly confused: how the fuck do you bitches not know that these are nearly all political-appointee positions? (I know it's been 35 years since the same party won back-to-back elections with two different candidates (Reagan then Bush), but still.) It's up to Harris, not Pete, if he stays at the DOT, but I'm also not seeing any possible reason for him to leave, unless he's opting out of politics entirely. Even if he's running for office, that couldn't happen until 2026 at the earliest, plus there'd need to be a race he could actually *win*. (Safe to say he won't be winning an Indiana Senate seat anytime soon.)

Agreed that Garland has nearly zero chance of remaining AG, but even Biden's confessed – at least to unnamed sources – that he's been a constant thorn in his ass. Also, given the extent to which Trump has incessantly claimed a Harris administration would be tantamount to Biden 2.0, that only gives her *more* incentive to clean house among most of Biden's appointees. She both wants & needs to start with a clean slate. I'm not even sure she'd keep Blinken at this point, and he's the MOST likely to be asked to stay on, if only because of his extremely detailed knowledge about goings-on in Israel.

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2024 7:44 PM

We’re looking at a repeat of 2016 so you might as well start coming up with Trump’s appointees.

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2024 7:52 PM

Blinken will certainly be replaced. Secretary of State will go to a prominent backer.

by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2024 7:55 PM

Merrick Garland has been as feckless and weak an the US AG as Bill Barr was bold and unethical.

by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2024 8:07 PM

[quote]We’re looking at a repeat of 2016 so you might as well start coming up with Trump’s appointees.

Are you trolling or just ignorant? The race is a legitimate toss-up – unlike 2016, when almost every pollster gave Hillary a huge lead for nearly the entire race – and the mere fact that Kamala has a uterus doesn't mean she's doomed to lose.

by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2024 8:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!