Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Everybody Loves Raymond (1996-2005)

I have been watching Everybody Loves Raymond on Amazon Prime. I forgot how funny it was. Raymond came at a time of great sitcoms such as Frasier, Seinfeld, and Friends, Raymond seemed more realistic and relatable. The house was messy, the wife could be shrill, the in-laws were annoying and realistic.

Ray Romano, Patricia Heaton, Brad Garrett, Doris Roberts, and Peter Boyle are/were all immensely talented.

Holy Crap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 25, 2024 2:18 AM

I also loved Robert Culp and Katherine Helmond as Debra's out-of-touch, wealthy, and phony New England parents

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2024 3:00 PM

I liked it, too. And I also liked Men of a Certain Age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2024 3:06 PM

Favorite episodes? Moments? How does this show hold up today?

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2024 3:07 PM

I love it. It's more of favorite moments tan favorite episodes. The best moments, or a couple of them, Debra dropping the turkey, Marie looking at her statue "OH MY GOD I'M A LESBIAN", Marie going to talk to the FBI about Robert, Robert dating the lady who eats flies. In the FBI episode Marie went from hysterical comedy to heartbreak in a nano second.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2024 3:11 PM

I'M A LESBIAN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2024 3:16 PM

Debra dropping the turkey is hilarious; it was an accident apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2024 3:17 PM

Ray hiding in the garage while Warren and Lois have a nasty fight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2024 3:18 PM

The suitcase left on the stairway landing was hilarious and the passive aggressive behavior by both Ray and Deborah in this episode is so damned true for relationships, gay, straight, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2024 3:21 PM

And just so you know......

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2024 3:28 PM

The show was different from the other contemporary sitcoms, especially the family ones.

It almost always had one plot per episode. Compare this with Friends which sometimes had 3 plots running simultaneously in a 22 minute episode. It just shows how bad the writing is that the writers on that show could rarely come up with stories that could tie all the characters together.

The kid were nonentities on this show and therefore it was never mawkish or cutesy like a lot of other similar shows. I think Ray and Debra had 3 but the show largely ignored them.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2024 3:36 PM

I remember an episode with a girl who ate flies and had frogs as pets. I laughed my ass off.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2024 6:31 PM

Cousin Gerard, The Angry Family, Ray setting the kitchen on fire…..

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2024 6:36 PM

The Toaster

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2024 7:03 PM

I know a lot of people think Debra was too harsh but you would be that way too after dealing with Ray and his family that long. If you watch the episodes when she was dating Ray she was sweet.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2024 7:07 PM

The Thanksgiving episode where Marie demands to cook a tofurkey and awful health food and manipulates the family into pretending they enjoy it.

Then, in the dark of that night, she’s caught in Ray’s kitchen with a drumstick in her mouth from the Thanksgiving meal Ray secretly ordered. 🍗

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2024 7:23 PM

Marie is just like my Italian grandmother. They know how to work a situation when they want to.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2024 7:24 PM

Horrible show...

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2024 7:45 PM

[quote]It almost always had one plot per episode. Compare this with Friends which sometimes had 3 plots running simultaneously in a 22 minute episode. It just shows how bad the writing is that the writers on that show could rarely come up with stories that could tie all the characters together.

Different situation, r10. Ray and Patricia were the leads. Friends had six leads, so of course there were various plot lines for their characters.

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2024 8:03 PM

Holy Crap

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2024 8:48 PM

I like when Amy's mother blamed the smoking on Robert.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2024 9:26 PM

Brad Garrett was fucking hilarious as Robert

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2024 9:34 PM

I get Patricias Heaton and Clarkson mixed up. Was Clarkson on a tv show too?

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2024 9:48 PM

What helped make ELR really good was the obvious care that went into casting the guest stars. So many shows the guest stars were just as important as the regular cast. The nuns in the I'm a lesbian story is a great example. Plus the lady that beat up Ray. A lot of other too.

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2024 9:53 PM

Favorite episode: Ray records Debra during her period to prove to her how horrible she can be.

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2024 10:04 PM

“Face it Frank, you know I’m always right.”

by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2024 10:16 PM

When Ray told Debra he would leave without her if she was late getting ready for the awards show. She was and he left. She had gotten the curling iron stuck in her hair and she just left it in. That episode was funny as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 21, 2024 10:17 PM

Just because some upthread mentioned it, I think Men of a Certain Age was really underrated.

I was traveling and poking around for something to watch on Netflix and tried some recent comedy special of Romano’s. I thought it would be interesting to see how his comedy and perspective had developed. Unfortunately, he still was doing the same old, “women, who can understand them?,” “wives and their shopping” stuff. I turned it off. His stand up (absent a sitcom script and co-actors) was better on Dr. Katz.

by Anonymousreply 27September 21, 2024 11:10 PM

My favorite sequence from any episode: the story one of the twins writes and reads out loud at his parents' night at school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 21, 2024 11:22 PM

Fred Willard and Georgia Engel as Amy's super Christian parents were funny. They were so naive and oblivious to the real world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 21, 2024 11:46 PM

[quote]Was Clarkson on a tv show too?

She was on a Law & Order...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2024 11:58 PM

No need to worry about this show ever being rebooted.

Ray/Robert's parents, Deborah's parents, Amy's parents and one of the twin boys are all dead.

by Anonymousreply 31September 22, 2024 12:12 AM

Way to end a thread, R31.

by Anonymousreply 32September 22, 2024 1:29 AM

R31 I don't want a reboot though!

by Anonymousreply 33September 22, 2024 2:07 AM

So many great episodes mentioned in this thread.

I’ll add the episode where Debra is arrested for drunk driving.

by Anonymousreply 34September 22, 2024 2:21 AM

When Marie and Frank were evicted from the old age village. Loved Marie. Doris Roberts was class.

by Anonymousreply 35September 22, 2024 2:21 AM

Marie was a narcissistic sociopath. One of the most manipulative characters in television history.

by Anonymousreply 36September 22, 2024 2:25 AM

The cast of the show arrived in NYC for some tv interviews the day before 9/11 to be done the next day which of course were canceled. On the night of that dreadful day they were out walking around and ran into a man who had no way home to Brooklyn since there was no transportation so they put him up in a hotel. Nice people.

by Anonymousreply 37September 22, 2024 2:41 AM

The funniest episode was when Ray gave Debra a surprise party for her birthday. She found out and everyone found out that she found out. Her I'm surprised act was hysterical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 22, 2024 3:33 AM

Patricia Heaton played a bitchy, nagging, negative harpy wife so convincingly .. and years later I realized she was just playing herself.

by Anonymousreply 39September 22, 2024 3:41 AM

[quote]Marie was a narcissistic sociopath. One of the most manipulative characters in television history.

I was better!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 22, 2024 12:03 PM

Ray made a joke out of everything, did not help around the house and ignored his children. Debra being overwhelmed and complaining about him was part of the schtick. Patricia Heaton is a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 41September 22, 2024 1:53 PM

As much as I loathe Heaton's politics, she's been great in two of my favorite sitcoms, this one and The Middle

by Anonymousreply 42September 22, 2024 3:05 PM

R41 - she is one note. What you’ve described is all she’s got.

by Anonymousreply 43September 22, 2024 3:11 PM

Everyone rightfully hated this show because Doris Roberts denied DL fave Kim Cattrall the Emmy three times!

by Anonymousreply 44September 22, 2024 3:13 PM

Kim should have upped her game.

by Anonymousreply 45September 22, 2024 3:41 PM

I always wondered howe they got the rights to the Cinema Paradiso score for the episodes it Italy.

by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2024 4:11 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

by Anonymousreply 47September 22, 2024 4:18 PM

The show was about real people with real issues- finances, kids, overbearing parents

by Anonymousreply 48September 22, 2024 4:29 PM

Debra and Robert doing swing dance classes together. Ray getting so jealous. Robert and debra were good.

by Anonymousreply 49September 22, 2024 4:35 PM

R49, when Robert plops Debra atop the refrigerator… that never gets old! Just like when Marie catches Robert and Amy having sex and Amy appears wearing Robert’s pants.

by Anonymousreply 50September 22, 2024 4:39 PM

I wouldn't want to be married to Ray, but I'd give him head at a rest area. I bet it's a mouthful.

by Anonymousreply 51September 22, 2024 4:40 PM

I loved Debra working at Frank's men's club. The old geezers hired her just because she was pretty. Frank getting so upset when he found out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 22, 2024 4:43 PM

[QUOTE] Everyone rightfully hated this show because Doris Roberts denied DL fave Kim Cattrall the Emmy three times!

Oh that’s just grand.. I hated Sex and the City. Knowing Doris Roberts cuntblocked Kim from getting an Emmy just makes me love Marie and ELR even more!

She earned them and she deserved them. Watching her slowly but surely develop the character of Marie Barone over the first few seasons was a thing of beauty. She worked hard at perfecting that role, and she created one of the greatest sitcom characters of all time. It’s almost scary how good she nailed it down. God rest her soul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 22, 2024 4:50 PM

I remember the suitcase on the stair landing—a great episode. I’ll have to rewatch that one.

by Anonymousreply 54September 22, 2024 4:52 PM

I remember am episode where Marie gives Debra a family recipe but leaves out one ingredient so it's never as good as Mama's. So typically mother-in-law passive aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 55September 22, 2024 5:02 PM

LOL I just came to post about the spices.

by Anonymousreply 56September 22, 2024 5:26 PM

I love "The Canister," where Marie keeps accusing Debra of not returning her favorite canister, which Debra denies... and then Debra discovers that their daughter has it in her bedroom, so she has to sneak it back into Marie's house. It's like a really great sitcom episode from "I Love Lucy" or "The Dick Van Dyke Show" because it's so simple.

by Anonymousreply 57September 22, 2024 5:27 PM

When Ray didn't like other men looking at Debra. So he told her women were making comments about her dress. Thinking it would make Debra dress more conservatively. Opposite effect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 22, 2024 5:32 PM

Doris denied Jessica Walter an Emmy for Arrested Development.

It's outrageous that Walter only got one Emmy nomination for AD. Doris was good but not that good.

by Anonymousreply 59September 22, 2024 6:14 PM

[quote] I have been watching Everybody Loves Raymond on Amazon Prime. I forgot how funny it was.

One of the most embarrassing things I've ever read on DL.

by Anonymousreply 60September 22, 2024 6:15 PM

[QUOTE] It's outrageous that Walter only got one Emmy nomination for AD. Doris was good but not that good.

You’re right. She was beyond good. She was great.

by Anonymousreply 61September 22, 2024 6:22 PM

Don't forget the episode when Robert joins a cult

by Anonymousreply 62September 22, 2024 6:57 PM

When Robert kept touching the food to his chin while eating dinner with Amy’s family

by Anonymousreply 63September 22, 2024 7:00 PM

The one where Ray hired his buddy Gianni to replace the kitchen stove.

Deborah: Ray, you gotta get Gianni to finish up with the stove. I can't cook without it.

Ray: Well, it's not like Rembrandt lost his paint brush.

by Anonymousreply 64September 22, 2024 7:09 PM

I'm glad to see that so many people appreciated this show. I thought it was hilarious.

Although, not married, no kids, there was something about it that just seemed to resonate with me. Doris Roberts was so fantastic (she really made me hate her character).

by Anonymousreply 65September 22, 2024 8:31 PM

I have never watched one episode of this show, can't stand his whiny voice or Patricia Heaton.

by Anonymousreply 66September 22, 2024 8:34 PM

[QUOTE] Doris Roberts was so fantastic (she really made me hate her character).

How could you hate Marie? She was so sweet.

by Anonymousreply 67September 22, 2024 8:41 PM

Marie was passive aggressive and controlling

by Anonymousreply 68September 22, 2024 9:06 PM

Sometimes I felt sorry for Robert because of Marie favoring Raymond but Robbie could be obnoxious too.

by Anonymousreply 69September 22, 2024 9:57 PM

I couldn’t stand Raymond or his parents. My favorite stories were about Robert. I liked the episode where he caught his mother-in-law smoking.

by Anonymousreply 70September 22, 2024 11:24 PM

[quote] I liked the episode where he caught his mother-in-law smoking.

Having that character be a smoker is a great example of why this show was so good. It was so unpredictable yet it was believable. Great character writing

by Anonymousreply 71September 23, 2024 12:16 AM

At first I hated Amy but then gave her and the writers credit for developing her character and came to love her. She was like the sane one in the room. Plus her family was just as fucking nuts. Wish they had been in more episodes. Funny, it was ELR but the three strongest characters were the three female leads. Another outstanding episode was when Frank and Marie got kicked out of the assisted living home. "that is now a one woman show"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 23, 2024 12:21 AM

We haven't even started discussing Charles Durning as the Baron's priest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 23, 2024 12:35 AM

The best Robert episode was when all his exes, marie, debra, and his partner got together to tell him everything that was wrong with him. sounds cruel but it was hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 74September 23, 2024 12:37 AM

Oh my God, I'm a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 75September 23, 2024 12:40 AM

Marie: "I'd prefer NOT to be known as The Whore of Lynbrook."

Debra's brasciole: "that's Italian for roadkill."

by Anonymousreply 76September 23, 2024 12:45 AM

Marie: "I have my own opinions. I'm not just some trophy wife!"

Frank: "Trophy wife? What contest in Hell did I win?"

by Anonymousreply 77September 23, 2024 1:21 AM

I love how Marie has plastic on all the furniture

by Anonymousreply 78September 23, 2024 3:18 AM

OP is posting from a nursing home.

by Anonymousreply 79September 23, 2024 3:23 AM

They could do drama really well too. Frank explaining why he didn't hit his kids. Frank wiping the cold cream off of Marie's face. Robert when he gives up on romance. Marie reading Ray's teenage diary. Debra giving up her sister to the convent. Ray at the father/daughter dance. Debra and Ray deciding not to throw away the nursery furniture. A lot more too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 23, 2024 3:26 AM

“What am I supposed to do with ALL THIS FRUIT?”

by Anonymousreply 81September 23, 2024 1:20 PM

Why is it called “Everybody Loves Raymond”?

by Anonymousreply 82September 23, 2024 1:28 PM

HI ROBERT!

by Anonymousreply 83September 23, 2024 1:31 PM

[quote] Patricia Heaton is a great actress.

A legendary cunt, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 84September 23, 2024 1:37 PM

R82 The opening montage should explain it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 23, 2024 2:19 PM

Love the episode where Warren and Lois take everyone out to an upscale restaurant and Frank and Marie are embarrassing.

Warren, having enough, finally says, "Well, not everyone can understand everything, Frank."

by Anonymousreply 86September 25, 2024 2:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!