Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Girl Interrupted was released 25 years ago this December

What did you think when it first came out? I just caught it on TV tonight, and I realized Winona really acted her ass off. She was great. Angelina won the Oscar but Winona and Britney Murphy were the real standouts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 23, 2024 5:47 AM

I thought all of them were good. (Brittney, Winona, Angelina)

Angelina was a really gutsy take no prisoners performance. The Oscar was well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2024 4:05 AM

I thought it was contrived that Angelina would break down about mean things Winona wrote about her in her diary.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2024 4:08 AM

That scene where Jolie talks Murphy into suicide is chilling. Jolie just oozes charisma in it.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2024 4:09 AM

One of the best scenes was when Brittany Murphy is walking up the stairs, and Angelina goes into that monolog, about how Daisy's Dad fucks her. The other great scene was when Winona was dropped into the bathtub by Whoopi Goldberg and starts going off.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2024 4:14 AM

So many big names in this movie, my god. And the wonderful Jillian Armenante!

Haven't seen it since childhood, will have to watch it again soon.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2024 4:36 AM

Brilliant film. The whole cast was great.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2024 4:41 AM

25 years? Well I certainly hope she's resumed by now.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2024 4:59 AM

I thought it was overrated particularly Angie's performance.

I watched it several times since and realize Brittany Murphy stole the film away from the two leads.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2024 5:24 AM

That fucking sales girl interrupted my shoplifting at Saks. Did she deserve an award too?!?!?! Fuck Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2024 5:30 AM

Poor Noni just couldn't catch a break in the late 90s: first that whore Goop stole her Shakespeare in Love role and then Angelina stole all her thunder for Girl Interrupted, one of Winona's passion projects.

Real Susanna Kaysen also disliked that so much of the focus was put on Angelina's character in the script, even though she praised her performance.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2024 6:26 AM

aka I Never Promised You I'd Pay You.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2024 6:55 AM

I prefer 1963a The Caretakers with Polly Bergen, Van Williams, Robert Stack, Robert Vaughn, Barbara Barrie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2024 7:10 AM

Wasn’t a huge fan of the film, but Ryder & Murphy gave far better performances than Jolie, who was hammy and overacting as she chewed the scenery.

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2024 7:33 AM

I can still smell the chicken.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2024 7:46 AM

I preferred Helen Lawson in "Cunt, Interrupted". She wanted to do a nude sex scene but everyone else refused.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2024 11:34 AM

The Angela Bettis version of Carrie is far superior than any of the others, including the original.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2024 12:34 PM

I love you r9

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2024 12:43 PM

Such a lousy movie.

Winona cannot act. Jolie played herself. Murphy was fine but it wasn't acting and she's dead.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2024 12:52 PM

The 1999 Supporting Actress Oscar category was stacked with excellent actresses that year, and of course the least talented of them, Angelina Jolie, won. I would have voted for Chloe Sevigny in Boys Don’t Cry.

The book is far better than the film. I remember Susanna Kaysen describing Angelina’s performance as “histrionic.”

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2024 1:46 PM

surprised this hasn't been adapted into a musical yet.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2024 1:48 PM

r20 ... starring Beanie!

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2024 1:55 PM

Angie’s bad wig.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2024 2:12 PM

With Vanessa Redgrave adding some class.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2024 2:16 PM

two things I remember from watching this on HBO as a kid- Winona cutting her palm on some railing, and rotisserie chickens under someone's bed. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2024 4:18 PM

My favorite scene was when the professor's wife (Mary Kay Place) confronts Winona at the ice cream parlor then gets into an altercation with Jolie.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2024 4:50 PM

Peppermint dick!

Peppermint clit!

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2024 4:56 PM

Angelina has a ridiculous wig

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2024 4:59 PM

[quote] surprised this hasn't been adapted into a musical yet.

There better not be an intermission. There's only so many interruptions a girl will take.

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2024 9:44 PM

Jolie was pure ham in this

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2024 9:49 PM

Some of this was filmed on the grounds of the Harrisburg State Hospital (and some in Harrisburg proper), which had been emptied out of mental patients since Reagan. Some of the old-style metal restraints were still in the basements of the buildings.

The Dept. of Public Welfare has a number of offices in buildings on the hospital grounds, and my father, who got a state job there after retiring, was wandering the expansive grounds at lunchtime and got to see them filming. And he got to see Whoopi Goldberg. He was thrilled to death.

He retired from that job at 72 and he's 88 now. I'm so glad he got to have that experience.

And I liked the movie.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2024 10:18 PM

[quote]surprised this hasn't been adapted into a musical yet.

Imagine all the reprises of "Downtown".

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2024 10:41 PM

Is this the movie where the asylum has a bowling alley in the basement? What a luxury.

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2024 11:26 PM

They were "Bowling for Droperidol"

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2024 11:43 PM

R25 yes that ice cream shop scene. I think it has this exchange:

Mary Kay: Was I speaking to you?

Angelina: You're spitting on me.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2024 4:45 AM

Oh it's this.

Lisa: Lady, back off!

Mrs. Gilcrest: Was I talking to you?

Lisa: No, you were spitting on me.

by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2024 4:48 AM

They finally remade The Bell Jar...

by Anonymousreply 36September 21, 2024 4:50 AM

[quote]Some of this was filmed on the grounds of the Harrisburg State Hospital (and some in Harrisburg proper), which had been emptied out of mental patients since Reagan.

That's a myth about Reagan/conservatives.

It was the liberals (i.e. anti-authority) who got the hospitals closed down and spearheaded the entire campaign.

Just like nowadays they want to shut down the zoos/prisons and have everyone/everything roaming free.

by Anonymousreply 37September 21, 2024 5:04 AM

How could this film's budget be $40 million? It's relatively small-scale material so the actor's must have charged a ton.

by Anonymousreply 38September 21, 2024 10:48 AM

Jolie probably could’ve won this year for reading the phone book. A good, but not great performance. But she was definitely the it girl of this late 90s period, winning a globe and receiving two Emmy nominations also. People couldn’t stop talking about her. Im guessing Collette or Sevigny came in a distant second.

by Anonymousreply 39September 21, 2024 12:41 PM

Jolie had 'Hackers' under her belt, that was it. It's actually a guilty pleasure movie for me, but her performance had shown tremendous promise, and actual range. Love Winona, but she played versions of this girl at various stages, it wasn't different enough and given she had a minor diagnosis to work with, which she paralleled in life in too many ways, wasn't exactly exciting and different, from her.

I remember my mother being angry about the depiction of being in an institution, she worked in group-homes for many years, and one well known institution, and the movies depiction was Disneyfied and glamorized, can't say she was wrong, but it was a movie. Rooms of patients in helmets banging their heads against the wall wouldn't have played.

by Anonymousreply 40September 22, 2024 2:05 AM

A young Elisabeth Moss had a major role in this movie, too.

by Anonymousreply 41September 23, 2024 12:26 AM

I disliked that movie. Seeing it once was more than enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 42September 23, 2024 12:43 AM

Just scene this cringe scene is enough for me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 23, 2024 5:45 AM

(^.^) Just seeing . . .

by Anonymousreply 44September 23, 2024 5:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!