Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lady Caroline Lamb (1972)

Does anyone on DL remember this movie? Is it worth the watch? It has all the makings of a classic epic:

Written and directed by Robert Bolt, who wrote the screenplays for Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, A Man for All Seasons, Ryan's Daughter, and The Bounty;

A musical score by Richard Rodney Bennett; and

An all star cast: Sarah Miles, Richard Chamberlain, Jon Finch, John Mills, Margaret Leighton, Pamela Brown, Ralph Richardson, Peter Bull, and Laurence Olivier.

So, why did the film fail? Why is it so hard to find?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2024 1:27 AM

I knew someone on DL would have thoughts about this period film

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2024 7:12 PM

That movie poster makes her look quite monstrous. Which is apropos, I suppose, because wasn't she Lord Byron's crazy fan?

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2024 7:15 PM

You don't want to mention a little bit about what it's about? Stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2024 7:19 PM

Sarah Miles - she was the kiss of death for any movie.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2024 7:40 PM

Oh please r4, she was wonderful in The Servant, Term of Trial, Ryan’s Daughter, Hope & Glory and White Mischief.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2024 7:42 PM

I'm not saying she wasn't wonderful in many movies. It's just that many of the movies she starred in tanked at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2024 7:48 PM

R3 I have never seen it. I've been trying to find a link. From Wikipedia:

"Based on the life of Lady Caroline Lamb, novelist, sometime lover of Lord Byron and wife of politician William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne."

Granted, I would watch it for Richard Chamberlain alone

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2024 7:52 PM

So it isn't Watership Down with sheep?

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2024 8:18 PM

Has anyone seen it?

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2024 8:59 PM

I remember when this movie came out. It had flop written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2024 8:59 PM

R10 really? How? What was life like back in the 1970's?

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2024 9:37 PM

Repeat after me.

SARAH MILES.

NO!

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2024 9:41 PM

Sarah Miles career never recovered after that masturbation scene in The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea.

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2024 9:43 PM

Sarah Miles was fucking the writer and director Robert Bolt; that's how she got the lead

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2024 10:09 PM

Does she show her lady lamb?

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2024 10:14 PM

Lady Caroline Lamb was the woman who described Byron as "mad, bad, and dangerous to know."

I saw this many years ago. Honestly, it's not good. I guess it's about the folly of romantic love, but there's no passion in it. Richard Chamberlain is gorgeous as Byron but there's no madness or badness in him. Jon Finch, who plays Lady Caroline's hapless husband, is also attractive, but he doesn't have much to do except look stoic.

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2024 10:31 PM

Sarah Kilometres

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2024 12:16 AM

Lamb was the original stan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2024 1:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!