Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Theatre Gossip #571 Sherie Rene Went Green Edition

Sherie Rene IS Audrey!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388October 1, 2024 10:47 AM

Well there is a ticket I WON’T be buying!

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2024 5:43 PM

Shark, jump!

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2024 6:44 PM

Will Swept Away get swept away?

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2024 6:45 PM

Swept Away is yet another show that I have no clue who the audience will be.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2024 8:19 PM

Any word on "The Big Gay Jamboree"? The premise certainly sounds interesting.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2024 9:26 PM

Nicholas Christopher is an Orin, not a Seymour.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2024 9:26 PM

A travesty of a leading lady.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2024 9:35 PM

Mia is back tonite

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2024 11:29 PM

Why is Stereophonic closing when it's bringing in so much money? Has it recouped? If it hasn't, why shut it down when there theatergoers who still haven't seen it?

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2024 1:24 AM

It just announced another extension

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2024 2:05 AM

Get your tickets!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2024 2:22 AM

Watch Adam Lambert and Auli'i Cravalho Make First Entrances in Cabaret:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2024 2:27 AM

I predict Cabaret closes in January .

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2024 2:34 AM

Barring any upcoming extension or closure announcements, the theaters that will need tenants for the winter or spring of '25 are the Booth, Circle, Golden, Jones and Lyceum.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2024 2:51 AM

CABARET ain't goin' nowhere, r13. Check out our grosses.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2024 3:47 AM

Is that George Clooney play really happening this season? Do they have a theater?

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2024 3:47 AM

I was a background actor on Glee in the Sardi’s scene with Patti LuPone. I got to overhear a delicious conversation she was having with Ryan Murphy. He gushed “Oh my god, David and I just loved you so much in Gypsy. We’re so sorry we never got the chance to ser you in Women on the Verge!” Patti replied “Yeah, well, we suffered a lousy leading lady on that one.” Murphy looked confused and said “I don’t know who that was” and Patti responded “EXACTLY.” Pause. And then Patti said “ And she wasn’t even a latina.” And I thought to myself “Gee, Patti, you’re not a latina and you won a fucking Tony Award for playing Eva Peron.”

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2024 3:49 AM

More gossip like r17, please!!!

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2024 3:52 AM

[quote]CABARET ain't goin' nowhere, [R13]. Check out our grosses.

That's too bad , if true, because this piece of theatrical garbage should have been confined to landfill shortly after opening. Or better, of course, should never have seen the light of day to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2024 12:11 PM

[quote]Patti replied “Yeah, well, we suffered a lousy leading lady on that one.” Murphy looked confused and said “I don’t know who that was” and Patti responded “EXACTLY.” Pause. And then Patti said “ And she wasn’t even a latina.” And I thought to myself “Gee, Patti, you’re not a latina and you won a fucking Tony Award for playing Eva Peron.”

Yes, and of course, Patti was ALSO in WOMEN ON THE VERGE....as a non-Latina. Did she even realize what she was saying to Ryan Murphy? I'm sure not.

Typical of a narcissist like Patti. She only sees things from her own selfish perspective, and rules that apply to others DO NOT apply to her.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2024 12:18 PM

Grosses don’t mean a lot with high expenses and a high capitalization to repay. Especially if those grosses aren’t that amazing even before your marquee star leaves the show Watch for the pre-show cast to disappear, which would be an act of mercy for all parties.

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2024 12:35 PM

Interesting thought, R21, that they would try to cut costs at CABARET by cutting the pre-show. I wonder how the public would react to that? Don't get me wrong, I thought the pre-show was bullshit, but the producers have been marketing it as some sort of stunning, creative element of this production.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2024 12:51 PM

R17 have you read Here’s to the Ladies? It’s the follow up book to Nothing Like a Dame. Sherie goes on record (as does Mary Beth Peil) about LuPone being mean to her during that show.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2024 12:56 PM

[quote]the producers have been marketing it as some sort of stunning, creative element of this production

An extremely expensive stunning, creative element of this production.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2024 12:58 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 2001, "Urinetown" opened at the Henry Miller's Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2024 1:46 PM

Take that look off your face, r15. We'll keep an eye on [italic] your [/italic] grosses with the new leads. Not wishing you ill, but replacements can change a show's forecast pretty quick

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2024 2:41 PM

R25, that is crazy to remember that Urinetown started its Broadway run just before 9/11. Even more crazy that it became a hit. The original production was one of the funniest, weirdest shows I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2024 2:44 PM

R27. I was lucky to see it twice on Broadway. It was heaven and that original cast. One of the funniest musicals I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2024 8:32 PM

Mary Beth Piel, in HERE’S TO THE LADIES: -- Danny Burstein was outside. I could hear Patti singing some of Sherie René Scott's music. I said, “What happened?” Danny looked at me and said, “Patti had some ideas.” -- I remember just sort of watching how both Yazbek and Bart — it's not that she was dictating things or telling them what to do, but they were checking with her, sometimes in obvious ways, sometimes in more passive-aggressive ways. -- [Sherie] never felt listened to or heard from early on. -- And then, little by little, we all start to feel not heard. -- Bart knows that I do hold him accountable. For the mood in the room , for allowing that rift between Patti and Sherie to happen . . . He saw it happen, he watched it happen, and Sherie was the most vulnerable one. -- I learned to love Sherie. I tried to love Patti. I would watch her sit with some of the kids in the wings when Sherie was onstage and she would be saying not good things about Sherie’s performance . . . It was like she was enlisting the kids to agree with her. I didn’t ever get to know Patti and kind of stayed out of her way. -- The production would always have been in trouble, but with Patti’s support, and had Sherie been supported by the director, she would have soared, I have no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2024 10:27 PM

Mary Beth Piel, in HERE’S TO THE LADIES: [reposted, hopefully with better formatting]

-- Danny Burstein was outside. I could hear Patti singing some of Sherie René Scott's music. I said, “What happened?” Danny looked at me and said, “Patti had some ideas.”

-- I remember just sort of watching how both Yazbek and Bart — it's not that she was dictating things or telling them what to do, but they were checking with her, sometimes in obvious ways, sometimes in more passive-aggressive ways.

-- [Sherie] never felt listened to or heard from early on.

-- And then, little by little, we all start to feel not heard.

-- Bart knows that I do hold him accountable. For the mood in the room, for allowing that rift between Patti and Sherie to happen . . . He saw it happen, he watched it happen, and Sherie was the most vulnerable one.

-- I learned to love Sherie. I tried to love Patti. I would watch her sit with some of the kids in the wings when Sherie was onstage and she would be saying not good things about Sherie’s performance . . . It was like she was enlisting the kids to agree with her. I didn’t ever get to know Patti and kind of stayed out of her way.

-- The production would always have been in trouble, but with Patti’s support, and had Sherie been supported by the director, she would have soared, I have no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2024 10:28 PM

R30 what is so strange is by all accounts, Patti got along with everyone in Sweeney Todd, Gypsy, Company, War Paint and even Sunset (except ALW). She famously feuded with casts of Anything Goes and Noises Off.

I guess it depends on which way she wakes up that day

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2024 11:30 PM

I thought Patti loved her Anything Goes experience... what were the feuds?

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2024 11:36 PM

Don't forget Evita.

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2024 11:46 PM

R32, I think Patti had an issue with Linda Hart.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2024 12:15 AM

For those considering seeing SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED at BAM, I regret to inform you that the title should be ENTERTAINMENT NOT GUARANTEED.

Not a disaster. Just MEH. Way too long, with too many songs, and no real thought on how to convert the film story into a stage play. It was a show with the occasional charming bit, so the audience wanted to like it but kept getting let down.

And why is this at BAM? Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2024 12:26 AM

I’d love to be backstage for a n̶i̶g̶h̶t̶m̶a̶r̶e̶ show starring Patti, Betty Buckley, and Linda Lavin.

Maybe “Mornings at Seven”? Though a musical would of course be better!

by Anonymousreply 36September 21, 2024 12:33 AM

Add some songs to "Waiting in the Wings," R36.

by Anonymousreply 37September 21, 2024 12:48 AM

R34, I have a friend who was in the ensemble of Anything Goes.

He was standing backstage with Patti while Linda Hart (who was Patti’s understudy) was doing her big number “Buddy, Beware”.

Patti’s eyes started glowing and she growled, “Somebody get me a machete…”

Shades of Terri Klausner.

by Anonymousreply 38September 21, 2024 1:29 AM

LuPone has also been very vocal about her loathing for both Topol and Paul Sorvino during THE BAKER'S WIFE and of course her detestation of Bill Smitrovich during LIFE GOES ON.

by Anonymousreply 39September 21, 2024 2:24 AM

....and, in her own memoir, she was very clear of her loathing of a great many people she worked with in her career, not to mention her disrespect for Hal Prince.

by Anonymousreply 40September 21, 2024 2:54 AM

The list of people Patti didn’t hate is shorter:

Joe Locke Aubrey Plaza Laura Benanti Boyd Gaines Howard McGillen Christine Ebersole Mandy Patinkin Rosalie Craig Katrina Lenk

Is that it?

by Anonymousreply 41September 21, 2024 3:01 AM

Is the story about the Anything Goes dancers taking a step back and leaving Patti to do the dance break alone true or apocryphal?

by Anonymousreply 42September 21, 2024 3:05 AM

Her ex-lover Kevin Kline? “Umm, we’re not enemies!" - Patti, 2018

by Anonymousreply 43September 21, 2024 3:08 AM

[quote]r41 The list of people Patti didn’t hate is shorter: Joe Locke, Aubrey Plaza, Laura Benanti, Boyd Gaines, Howard McGillen, Christine Ebersole, Mandy Patinkin, Rosalie Craig, Katrina Lenk… Is that it?

You know what? Fuck you, Marsha. Just [italic]fuck you.[/italic]

You did that deliberately. And I’m under a lot of stress right now. As you know.

by Anonymousreply 44September 21, 2024 3:33 AM

Within the next year, we're going to hear ALL about the horror stories from Agatha All Along and/or The Roommate.

by Anonymousreply 45September 21, 2024 3:50 AM

Lots of seats left for Cabaret tonight. So far, the new cast isn’t setting the box office on fire. The $699 top ticket also seems to have disappeared.

Producers still seem deeply committed to this model. Charge ridiculous prices for good seats, offload the unsold tickets as rush, and then wonder why sales are down 20 percent.

by Anonymousreply 46September 21, 2024 11:06 AM

Cabaret is one of my favorite musicals and I saw the Roundabout revival and revival revival about 15 times. It was a great production and they kept it going with mostly excellent replacements. I have zero interest in this production. It looks and sounds like it would give me a headache. Even the original casting of Redmayne and Rankin was meh.

by Anonymousreply 47September 21, 2024 12:53 PM

R47, I agree about the Mendes version. I saw the final preview and remember how surprising and fresh it felt. It upended that season, when Ragtime was expected to be the runaway hit.

My motto is that hating a show is easier than actually liking one, but is a cheap negative high. So I tried to question how deeply I hated the current revival. Neuwirth may be the best Schneider I’ve seen, even though they literally levitate her in the middle of her big song. Rankin would have been a great Sally if she didn’t substitute screaming for acting. The theater is disorienting in an interesting way, but I left just wanting the cast to throw out the costumes and staging and do the Mendes or Prince version on that stage.

The depth of frustration I felt had a lot to do with the true greatness of the Mendes version. It’s a shame that people mimicked that version and just tried to go farther with depracity and violence. Maybe this version will at least loosen up directors for different interpretations.

by Anonymousreply 48September 21, 2024 1:33 PM

[quote]I agree about the Mendes version. I saw the final preview and remember how surprising and fresh it felt. I

Obviously, a lot of people agree(d) with you, but to me, that production was the first BIG step down the road to ridiculously exaggerated weirdness and depravity that has led to the current debacle. Beginning with the first image of Cumming as the Emcee in a leather coat, which was done merely for shock value even though it makes no sense at all for that character to be wearing something like that as a costume, and rolling downhill from there.

[quote]Rankin would have been a great Sally if she didn’t substitute screaming for acting.

I agree with you there, and I guess we'll never know how much of that "interpretation" was her decision and/or the director's.

by Anonymousreply 49September 21, 2024 2:00 PM

R41 And Mia Farrow.....

***hisses***

For now......

by Anonymousreply 50September 21, 2024 2:07 PM

R49, I’m curious if there is an interpretation of Cabaret that you like? I saw the Prince revival and, while I think the sets and staging are perfect, the show felt very flat. This happens a lot with Fiddler as well.

The Mendes version certainly had some anomalies that could bother people who are bothered by that sort of thing, but it felt fresh from beginning to end. The revival (of that revival) still had a lot of life in it.

by Anonymousreply 51September 21, 2024 2:11 PM

^r48!

by Anonymousreply 52September 21, 2024 2:11 PM

Saw The Hills of California. Everything you heard about the accents is true. It's not a sound design issue, at least not where we sat (Mezz row E). I was really struggling to catch every word and feel like I got around 80%.

by Anonymousreply 53September 21, 2024 2:19 PM

R51, Iove the original Broadway interpretation of CABARET (based on what I can tell from the cast album and some TV clips), and also the movie, even though it was a somewhat different animal. I agree that the Prince revival was very flat. That production proved that the show definitely needed some sort of new approach to make it seem fresh again, I just think the Mendes/Marshall version went way too far in terms of vulgarity.

by Anonymousreply 54September 21, 2024 2:35 PM

If I chose to go back to The Hills Of California, I'd get the headphones. But The play isn't that good that it needs to be seen twice.

by Anonymousreply 55September 21, 2024 2:47 PM

All of the "teenaged" daughters in the 1950s scenes of Hills of California look to be the same age and they all look too old. The mother must have been very busy around 1939.

by Anonymousreply 56September 21, 2024 3:14 PM

R54, I think we might agree for the most part. In my book, the acting choices in the Roundabout (over many casts) were stronger than the staging (which I also liked but didn’t see as the selling point).

However, I’ve seen productions that make Mendes’ version seem tame. Literal concentration camps, beatings, and edgier sexuality and drug use. The current one does that in spades. And somehow decides that the Emcee is an Aryan puppeteer, Sally is a raging victim, and a black Cliff charms Ernst the Nazi.

by Anonymousreply 57September 21, 2024 3:15 PM

Bebe Neuwirth really is the only one to come out of this current production unscathed. She’s the best I’ve seen in the role.

I was shocked though how non-existent her ass is!

by Anonymousreply 58September 21, 2024 4:57 PM

[quote]r58 = I was shocked though how non-existent her ass is!

You're shocked that Bebe danced her ass off?

by Anonymousreply 59September 21, 2024 5:08 PM

Patti Lupone is unfortunately unmedicated. A high dosage of Lexapro would do her wonders. Though will still won’t understand what she’s singing.

by Anonymousreply 60September 21, 2024 5:41 PM

Bernie's clearly had work done

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 21, 2024 5:43 PM

What the heck is going on with Romeo & Juliet? Hasn't even premiered and they are already offering massive discounts their tickets. Is it not expected to do well?

And why would you extend a show's run if tickets aren't selling well?

by Anonymousreply 62September 21, 2024 6:02 PM

Every show is offering discounts until the election...Broadway is always down in a presidential election year. Always.

by Anonymousreply 63September 21, 2024 6:32 PM

So McNeal is doing only 7 shows a week? I love how the Hollywood stars have the power to make reasonable performance schedules.

by Anonymousreply 64September 21, 2024 8:39 PM

What was Madeline Kahn like in On The Twentieth Century? I saw Judy Kaye in LA and although she was good and sang well, she had no star presence. The audio recordings of Kahn are pretty bad but were her performances really that bad? Was she on cocaine? The gossip was the crew also hated her but John Callum defended her against Prince.

by Anonymousreply 65September 21, 2024 9:53 PM

Who are these people?

by Anonymousreply 66September 21, 2024 10:16 PM

Carole Shelley was the best Schneider

by Anonymousreply 67September 21, 2024 11:53 PM

Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 68September 22, 2024 12:35 AM

R45 have we heard all the Mattress stories yet?

by Anonymousreply 69September 22, 2024 1:09 AM

Speaking of mattress, I have a ticket I can no longer use. I’m going that day to see Sherie Rene instead.

by Anonymousreply 70September 22, 2024 1:26 AM

[quote]And somehow decides that the Emcee is an Aryan puppeteer, Sally is a raging victim, and a black Cliff charms Ernst the Nazi.

The casting of Cliff with a black actor in this role may have been the single moment when "color-blind casting" inarguably jumped the shark and reached the absolute nadir of nonsense. Or maybe it was the casting of THE NOTEBOOK. Probably a tie.

by Anonymousreply 71September 22, 2024 2:36 AM

[Quote] I guess we'll never know how much of that "interpretation" was her decision and/or the director's.

Early clips from London had a different actress and the same screaming

by Anonymousreply 72September 22, 2024 2:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 22, 2024 2:47 AM

A little attention for the under-appreciated and intact Chris Stack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 22, 2024 7:43 AM

Chris Stack is the most beautiful actor currently appearing on Broadway, cut or uncut.

by Anonymousreply 75September 22, 2024 7:57 AM

How do you know he's uncut?

Those pictures just show his butt.

by Anonymousreply 76September 22, 2024 8:31 AM

Maybe his butt is uncut?

by Anonymousreply 77September 22, 2024 8:42 AM

Chris Stack is from the Midwest (i.e. Illinois) which has the highest circumcision rates in the country.

The lowest are in the ultra-liberal West Coast.

by Anonymousreply 78September 22, 2024 8:47 AM

So Sherie Rene makes her long-awaited return to Little Shop? What's that about...I thought she did well in the divorce because of the recording company...

by Anonymousreply 79September 22, 2024 11:29 AM

Larry Luckinbill and Tony Roberts tie for the worst Herr Schultz.

by Anonymousreply 80September 22, 2024 11:37 AM

Anybody here going to attend the Broadway Flea Market today?

by Anonymousreply 81September 22, 2024 11:47 AM

I thought the reference to the "intact Chris Stack" might have meant that he will be continuing in STEREOPHONIC, whereas some of the other actors are leaving. If so, poor phrasing.

by Anonymousreply 82September 22, 2024 12:08 PM

r76/r78/r82, it was mentioned in that link that he's uncut because he did a frontal nude scene in a play, if you had read it. I also saw the play referred to, and he is indeed uncut.

by Anonymousreply 83September 22, 2024 2:18 PM

Stack is the hottest actor in Stereophonic and is a lot more appealing than his oversexed castmate Eli Gelb.

by Anonymousreply 84September 22, 2024 2:38 PM

I don't need any more fleas.

by Anonymousreply 85September 22, 2024 3:17 PM

I think Sherie has a close relationship with Michael Mayer. He directed her in Everyday Rapture so he probably reached out to her.

There was a rumor that she was approached to replace Block in Into the Woods, had it kept going.

by Anonymousreply 86September 22, 2024 3:18 PM

Saw Bryan Batt at the Broadway Flea Market today. I’m digging his grey hair.

by Anonymousreply 87September 22, 2024 7:26 PM

[Quote] So Sherie Rene makes her long-awaited return to Little Shop? What's that about...I thought she did well in the divorce because of the recording company...

Name some other roles in recent years she’d could have done.

by Anonymousreply 88September 22, 2024 8:14 PM

R88 Bobbie in Company

Replacement Witch or Wife in Into the Woods

Jagged Little Pill (she loves singing rock music)

Replacement Jenna in Waitress

The mom in the Tommy revival (full circle moment as Tommy was her Broadway debut)

Chess (any recent production)

by Anonymousreply 89September 22, 2024 8:22 PM

[quote]r89 = Bobbie in Company

A 50 year old Bobbie???

by Anonymousreply 90September 22, 2024 9:07 PM

R90 well there is a 57 year old Audrey now…so…

by Anonymousreply 91September 22, 2024 9:11 PM

Two completely different roles/shows, r91. If Bobbie still isn't married by 50...well...

by Anonymousreply 92September 22, 2024 9:30 PM

Antonio Banderas played Bobby at 61. He got good reviews and sounds great on the recording. They framed it as a flashback.

by Anonymousreply 93September 22, 2024 9:45 PM

R93 you mean the whole time I could have played Bobbie as a flashback?!??

by Anonymousreply 94September 22, 2024 9:52 PM

[quote]Antonio Banderas played Bobby at 61. He got good reviews and sounds great on the recording. They framed it as a flashback.

They wouldn't have done such with Sherie Rene, r93.

by Anonymousreply 95September 22, 2024 9:54 PM

Alyssa Milano is missing performances of Chicago already? Geez. She just took over last Monday.

by Anonymousreply 96September 22, 2024 9:59 PM

She would have been a brilliant Galinda, better than Cheno...

by Anonymousreply 97September 22, 2024 10:00 PM

[quote]She would have been a brilliant Galinda, better than Cheno...

Kristin put the Billie Burke in Glinda, it's her role.

by Anonymousreply 98September 22, 2024 10:03 PM

R96 I know a good standby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 22, 2024 10:17 PM

Gypsy will return with music unheard since the Merman original. The Overture sounds wonderful but doesn't slay during the burlesque music, which is how I judge the overtures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 22, 2024 11:11 PM

Maybe the actual show orchestra will learn to slay during the rehearsal period, which hasn’t started yet.

by Anonymousreply 101September 22, 2024 11:18 PM

Tony Roberts is a terrible actor and about as exciting as week-old white rice.

by Anonymousreply 102September 22, 2024 11:22 PM

R101 I think Jule Styne said it depends on the chops of the trumpet player. You either got it or you don't.

by Anonymousreply 103September 22, 2024 11:29 PM

Sure, R102, Tony Roberts has never been good in the 50+years he's been acting. Fuck outta here.

by Anonymousreply 104September 22, 2024 11:30 PM

Do we know this is the actual player for the show? The cast hasn’t even been announced and rehearsals haven’t started.

by Anonymousreply 105September 22, 2024 11:35 PM

The orchestra sounds fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 106September 22, 2024 11:38 PM

He hasn’t, R104. He’s as dull as dishwater.

by Anonymousreply 107September 22, 2024 11:39 PM

Joy Woods is out of Ragtime at City Center, supposedly because she’s going to be Audra’s Louise. Joaquina Kalukango is replacing her in Ragtime.

by Anonymousreply 108September 23, 2024 12:02 AM

Not at all, R107.

by Anonymousreply 109September 23, 2024 12:08 AM

The trumpet bit in the overture for Patti’s production was great although it did sound like it was having a nervous breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 110September 23, 2024 4:14 AM

R110 if you played nightly for LuPone, wouldn’t you?

by Anonymousreply 111September 23, 2024 10:39 AM

Broadway To Dim Lights For James Earl Jones:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 23, 2024 3:16 PM

Miss Mazeppa doesn't even show up until act 2 - couldn't she sit it for the trumpet part?

by Anonymousreply 113September 23, 2024 3:26 PM

Just got a huge discount email for "Elephants...." What's taking the Imperial in the spring?

by Anonymousreply 114September 23, 2024 3:48 PM

Lin-Manuel Miranda To Lead Second Company Of Broadway’s ‘All In: Comedy About Love’ With Appearances By Aidy Bryant, Jimmy Fallon, David Cross & Others:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115September 23, 2024 4:16 PM

Tony Awards Returning To Radio City Music Hall, Sets 2025 Date:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 23, 2024 4:18 PM

Since I won’t be nominated…I really don’t care

by Anonymousreply 117September 23, 2024 4:54 PM

R64: Don't forget he still gets paid as if it were 8 shows a week.

by Anonymousreply 118September 23, 2024 6:52 PM

Matt Koplik said the best recorded Gypsy overture on record is the Tyne Daly version.

by Anonymousreply 119September 23, 2024 9:04 PM

So they're restoring Gypsy's original score -- are they putting Momma's Talkin' Soft back in? (No need for Nice She Ain't; Tomorrow's Mother's Day; Who Needs Him?; or the awful Smile, Girls, and although I do like Three Wishes for Christmas it's a long damn show.)

by Anonymousreply 120September 23, 2024 9:10 PM

R120, per the article, they're restoring the orchestrations and underscoring etc. so the show will "create a Gypsy that hasn't been heard since 1959." So I doubt any cut songs will be reinstated.

What I find more interesting is whether or not this means Audra will be singing the score in Ethel Merman's original keys.

by Anonymousreply 121September 23, 2024 9:56 PM

What is with those actors at r115 that they can't commit to at least 6 months? Are they really so in demand?

Mary and Ethel would be horrified.

by Anonymousreply 122September 23, 2024 9:59 PM

Neither Mary nor Ethel was beating off film and television offers with a stick, R122. But you knew that.

by Anonymousreply 123September 23, 2024 10:55 PM

Isn’t this the most anti-climatic casting ever?

Remember Paul Giamatti and Keke Palmer?

Now it’s Danny Burstein and Joy Woods

They really are banking on Audra…who doesn’t sell tickets.

Yet, she will probably win Tony #7

Zzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 124September 23, 2024 11:18 PM

What’s left to be “big revealed”? The three strippers, Tulsa, Baby June and Baby Louise? Will Audra have a name standby? Or will one of the strippers understudy her?

by Anonymousreply 125September 23, 2024 11:48 PM

Yeah, who will be Audra's standby because you know she'll be going on ALOT.

by Anonymousreply 126September 23, 2024 11:53 PM

Contemporary actors are now either doing extremely limited engagements or refusing to do 8 shows a week. Ironic because James Earl Jones NEVER missed a show.

by Anonymousreply 127September 23, 2024 11:54 PM

I love Audra, but there's no way she's doing GYPSY 8 shows a week after they open...Didn't she end up going down to 5 for PORGY?

by Anonymousreply 128September 23, 2024 11:55 PM

R128 4 in some cases

by Anonymousreply 129September 24, 2024 12:20 AM

Leslie Uggams IS Thursday night Rose!

by Anonymousreply 130September 24, 2024 12:26 AM

Beanie is available, as is Billy Porter

by Anonymousreply 131September 24, 2024 12:28 AM

Billy Porter is an Electra, not Rose.

by Anonymousreply 132September 24, 2024 12:41 AM

R132

Once I was a Shleppa

Now I’m Non binary Mazzepa

With a golden penis intact!

by Anonymousreply 133September 24, 2024 12:51 AM

[quote]Isn’t this the most anti-climatic casting ever?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 134September 24, 2024 12:56 AM

r133, as they say, don’t quit your day job.

by Anonymousreply 135September 24, 2024 1:24 AM

The relevant comparison would be Lady Day. Did she miss any performances for that? My guess is that they will have to cancel any shows she misses, since this production is marketed solely around her.

Incidentally, Sondheim was extremely critical of Merman’s insistence to go on when she was sick. She damaged her voice and they had to lower the keys for the remainder of the run.

by Anonymousreply 136September 24, 2024 1:33 AM

I’m sorry but Sondheim was wrong r136. If I drove all the way to New York or took a train in 1959/1960 to see Ethel Merman in Gypsy, I would rather hear the key a bit lower than see a no name because she was out.

by Anonymousreply 137September 24, 2024 2:04 AM

[quote]What I find more interesting is whether or not this means Audra will be singing the score in Ethel Merman's original keys.

I think that's an entirely separate issue, but we shall see.

by Anonymousreply 138September 24, 2024 2:20 AM

[quote]The relevant comparison would be Lady Day. Did she miss any performances for that? My guess is that they will have to cancel any shows she misses, since this production is marketed solely around her.

Actually, that's not the relevant comparison, because in LADY DAY, Audra sang in a completely different voice that apparently was less taxing for her than her natural voice. Because she has been unable or unwilling to keep to a schedule of eight performances a week when singing any show in her normal voice, whether it be RAGTIME or PORGY AND BESS or whatever.

Of course, at this point, I'm sure the producers are not focusing on what exactly is going to happen when Audra starts to miss performances, which according to her history should begin to happen not long after the opening.

by Anonymousreply 139September 24, 2024 2:24 AM

[quote]They really are banking on Audra…who doesn’t sell tickets.

I'm not her biggest fan, but I have to disagree with you there. She definitely does sell tickets, at least in a musical. That's why it wreaks such havoc when she starts missing performance. PORGY AND BESS turned into a real debacle because of that, though of course that production was cursed from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 140September 24, 2024 2:27 AM

[quote]R127 Contemporary actors are now either doing extremely limited engagements or refusing to do 8 shows a week. [bold]Ironic because James Earl Jones NEVER missed a show.[/bold]

And then he died.

by Anonymousreply 141September 24, 2024 2:27 AM

Who would be an Audra standby that wouldn't have everyone asking for a refund?

by Anonymousreply 142September 24, 2024 2:37 AM

Marsha, script-in-hand.

by Anonymousreply 143September 24, 2024 2:44 AM

Won't it have to be a woman of color?

by Anonymousreply 144September 24, 2024 2:47 AM

[quote]R143 Marsha, script-in-hand.

a new 1-woman show.

by Anonymousreply 145September 24, 2024 3:13 AM

R142. LaChanze.

by Anonymousreply 146September 24, 2024 3:34 AM

Fantasia. I'm serious.

by Anonymousreply 147September 24, 2024 3:52 AM

[quote]Won't it have to be a woman of color?

Lea Salonga?

by Anonymousreply 148September 24, 2024 8:37 AM

[quote] PORGY AND BESS turned into a real debacle because of that, though of course that production was cursed from the beginning.

I assume you mean “THE GERSHWINS’ PORGY AND BESS,” which omitted my name. So yes, I cursed that production. Along with my good pal, Steve Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 149September 24, 2024 8:54 AM

Joy Woods is officially Louise.

What a a mess.

by Anonymousreply 150September 24, 2024 1:21 PM

Was Keke Palmer always an internet pipe dream, or were the producers actually pursuing her?

by Anonymousreply 151September 24, 2024 1:33 PM

I thought Joy Woods was stiff and gawky in The Notebook, but that will work for Louise. Unless you really hate the interracial casting, this cast is solid so far.

by Anonymousreply 152September 24, 2024 2:30 PM

Audra was out from CAROUSEL when I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 153September 24, 2024 2:42 PM

Audra McDonald, Donna Murphy and Lindsay Mendez need to do a show together ASAP!

by Anonymousreply 154September 24, 2024 2:51 PM

Broadway Veteran Adrian Bailey Passes Away at 67:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155September 24, 2024 2:54 PM

I find it a little weird that BWW posted Bailey's obituary, as there has been no official announcement yet. I have heard through private channels that he did die (on his birthday, no less), but for BWW to post it before his family did is a little fucked up.

I'm not talking about you, r155. I was actually coming here to post the same thing. BWW ought not to have posted this without citing a source, imo.

by Anonymousreply 156September 24, 2024 4:20 PM

Linda Lavin could standby for Audra.

by Anonymousreply 157September 24, 2024 4:31 PM

[quote]Won't it have to be a woman of color?

J-Lo?

by Anonymousreply 158September 24, 2024 5:07 PM

BWW does a lot of things poorly, but yes, an obit -- even a perfunctory, very short one like theirs for Bailey -- should not be posted without SOME source being acknowledged.

by Anonymousreply 159September 24, 2024 5:09 PM

J-Hud?

J-Hol?

by Anonymousreply 160September 24, 2024 5:15 PM

Brutal box office week last week. Election years blow. Looks like Back to the Future and Elephants may be gone in January.

by Anonymousreply 161September 24, 2024 5:57 PM

& Juliet is probably nearing the end of its line, too.

by Anonymousreply 162September 24, 2024 6:11 PM

Hadestown and Suffs will probably be taken off life support as well.

by Anonymousreply 163September 24, 2024 6:22 PM

Cabaret down 600K. Yikes

by Anonymousreply 164September 24, 2024 7:24 PM

Broadway Box Office:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 24, 2024 7:35 PM

Which critic would you revive via AI, DL?

[quote]He was one of the most feared and revered British art critics of his generation — and now, nearly a decade after his death, Brian Sewell could be about to wield his pen once more.

[quote]Deadline understands that London’s historic Evening Standard newspaper has been making plans to revive its former writer using artificial intelligence.

[quote]Two sources said AI Sewell has been assigned to review The National Gallery’s new Vincent van Gogh exhibition, titled Van Gogh: Poets and Lovers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 24, 2024 7:39 PM

[quote]Adam Lambert and Auli’I Cravalho began their star turns in Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club, taking over from original cast members Eddie Redmayne and Gayle Rankin. A $640,719 drop in grosses (to $1,033,318) can be at least partially attributed to significant press tickets and other comps for the week.

Is this accurate? Has the production been giving press comps for reviews of the new leads? I haven't read any reviews of them yet. And at any rate, press comps would account for only a very tiny fraction of the grosses.

by Anonymousreply 167September 24, 2024 7:42 PM

Speaking of AI (and mirror images) gone wrong, have we all seen Apartment 7A's take on mid '60s George Abbott Way?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168September 24, 2024 8:03 PM

Here We Are will have its UK premiere next spring at the National Theatee. Tracie Bennett and Denis O’Hare will repeat their roles and Rory Kinnear will also be in the cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 24, 2024 8:58 PM

Gypsy‘s “You Gotta Get A Gimmick” strippers Tessie Tura, Miss Mazeppa and Miss Electra will be played by Lesli Margherita, Lili Thomas and Mylinda Hull, respectively.

How dreary.

by Anonymousreply 170September 24, 2024 11:12 PM

R170 the whole cast sucks. I blame George C Wolfe.

by Anonymousreply 171September 24, 2024 11:14 PM

At a $1 million gross, CABARET lost money last week.

by Anonymousreply 172September 24, 2024 11:19 PM

[quote][R170] the whole cast sucks. I blame George C Wolfe.

Absolutely no one ( except families and friends) will buy a ticket to see anyone not named Audra, so it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 173September 24, 2024 11:32 PM

Audra doesn't always sell tickets

by Anonymousreply 174September 25, 2024 12:10 AM

Nobody wanted to see her naked.

by Anonymousreply 175September 25, 2024 12:16 AM

Have they announced Tulsa yet?

by Anonymousreply 176September 25, 2024 12:18 AM

Has anyone checked ticket availability? I just looked at a random Tuesday in December, and the orchestra looks to be about 2/3 sold. They want $371 for row S in the Orchestra and $176 for side mezzanine. They can eat my ass.

by Anonymousreply 177September 25, 2024 12:21 AM

R176 no and the suspense is killing me.

by Anonymousreply 178September 25, 2024 12:30 AM

With none of the strippers being cast with a Black actress, I’m guessing Audra will have a standby who doesn’t have an ensemble track - like Bernadette did.

I’m more interested to see who that is than who gets cast as Tulsa.

by Anonymousreply 179September 25, 2024 1:27 AM

Nene Leakes IS Standby Rose

by Anonymousreply 180September 25, 2024 1:43 AM

Luann de Lesseps IS vacation cover Mazeppa!

by Anonymousreply 181September 25, 2024 1:52 AM

Who do you think turned them down before they ended up with Adam Lambert

by Anonymousreply 182September 25, 2024 2:02 AM

R182. At least one Jonas brother

by Anonymousreply 183September 25, 2024 2:19 AM

[quote]Audra doesn't always sell tickets

She does sell tickets when she is starring in musicals. The problem is her attendance record is quite poor, although, for whatever reasons, that hasn't prevented her from winning SIX Tony Awards.

by Anonymousreply 184September 25, 2024 2:29 AM

If she misses performances, they’re going to have a problem. People are paying a premium to see her.

If you got great seats and paid $350 each, an understudy or standby is not a fair substitution. A refund isn’t really either. When Patti called out of Company for norovirus, we got our money back but had to pay more for equivalent seats because of dynamic pricing. If Gypsy is a hit, those $350 tickets will be a bargain.

Who am I kidding? I’m going to see her in this no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 185September 25, 2024 2:59 AM

Did Audra really sell out SHUFFLE ALONG and MARIE CHRISTINE? Other than PORGY & BESS I'm kinda blanking on what her big hit musicals were since CAROUSEL.

by Anonymousreply 186September 25, 2024 3:09 AM

No one's posting about the announcement of the new Guys & Dolls movie directed by Rob Marshall??

Let the casting begin!

by Anonymousreply 187September 25, 2024 3:18 AM

Never mind. Just saw the thread.

by Anonymousreply 188September 25, 2024 3:22 AM

‘Ghost Of John McCain’ Off Broadway Review:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189September 25, 2024 4:14 AM

R156, no worries as I totally understood the point of what you were saying. According to THR, Adrian's brother verified his passing, saying he died on the day before his birthday:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 25, 2024 4:55 AM

Thanks for that link, r190. It's the first official announcement that I've seen.

I did several shows with Adrian, going back to the early 80s. We reconnected after his horrific accident.

Such a very sweet man. I'm glad that he is no longer suffering.

by Anonymousreply 191September 25, 2024 8:59 AM

I know the role and I'm always available

by Anonymousreply 192September 25, 2024 11:11 AM

And cheap

by Anonymousreply 193September 25, 2024 11:33 AM

And easy.

by Anonymousreply 194September 25, 2024 12:08 PM

Lots of G&D casting ideas over at ATC.

by Anonymousreply 195September 25, 2024 12:22 PM

Lindsay Mendez Welcomes Second Baby:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196September 25, 2024 2:16 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1979, "Evita" opened at the Broadway Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 197September 25, 2024 2:24 PM

Actually Lindsay's understudy gave birth...

by Anonymousreply 198September 25, 2024 4:07 PM

Christopher Ashley Named Artistic Director Of Roundabout Theatre Company:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199September 25, 2024 6:07 PM

Tori Spelling REVEALS she would do Broadway!

"Spelling said that she will keep dancing and that, even though she has said no to Broadway "so many times," she is open to the idea moving forward thinks she would say "yes" if asked. Watch the video at ET!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200September 25, 2024 8:11 PM

Matinee Rose Matinee Mia Matinee Audrey Matinee Norma Matinee Sally Matinee Mattress Matinee Morrible Matinee Boop Matinee Marilyn

by Anonymousreply 201September 25, 2024 8:14 PM

I see Roxie Hart in Tori's future.

by Anonymousreply 202September 25, 2024 8:17 PM

That photo of Chris ("Crashley") Ashley is actually quite flattering.

Unsurprisingly, I've seen no excitement about this announcement anywhere on social media or the theatre boards. Look out for lots of crappy Joe di Pietro adaptations in the future.

by Anonymousreply 203September 25, 2024 8:40 PM

R202, I was going to say that.

by Anonymousreply 204September 25, 2024 8:40 PM

[quote] That photo of Chris ("Crashley") Ashley is actually quite flattering.

That's putting it mildly, considering what be really looks like.

by Anonymousreply 205September 25, 2024 8:44 PM

r192 Noooo, take scary daddy instead

by Anonymousreply 206September 25, 2024 9:36 PM

Ghost of John McCain sounds utterly lame. The Princeton-educated composer/lyricist should aim higher.

by Anonymousreply 207September 26, 2024 12:16 AM

I'd see Ghost of John McCain just for Jason Tam, r207.

by Anonymousreply 208September 26, 2024 1:32 AM

You want theatre gossip? I'm shocked I'm not reading anything here (or at ATC) about the new scandal concerning David Adjmi possibly stealing scenes from an old memoir by the sound engineer who Eli Gelb plays in Stereophonic, who was the original sound engineer for Fleetwood Mac. Apparently, he recently went to see Stereophonic with his lawyers.

There have been very recent articles (which I haven't yet read) about this in The New Yorker and Vulture (sorry not to link).

by Anonymousreply 209September 26, 2024 3:03 AM

From the New Yorker article:

[quote]In Act I, the Christine McVie character asks Grover for feedback on a take; he suggests that she have a listen in the booth, and she snaps, “You start paying attention to the tempo and the key and the instruments and give us a little fucking help.” “Straight outta the book,” Caillat grunted. (Page 76: “We want you guys to start paying attention to tempos and keys and tuning and other important things and help us out here.”) Later in the play, the Buckingham character tells Grover to tape over a take, because he thinks he can redo it better; when he suddenly decides he wants the earlier take and realizes it’s been erased, he yells, “Are you a fucking idiot?”—then lunges at Grover and chokes him. Caillat recounts the same thing in his book, when Buckingham was recording the guitar solo for “You Make Loving Fun.” (Page 264: “ ‘You’re an idiot!’ Lindsey screamed at me, his hands tightening around my throat.”) Then there were odd details that repeated odd details in “Making Rumours.” Grover has a crush on the studio’s front-office girl, as Caillat did. The John McVie character gives a boozy monologue about Sausalito’s “houseboat wars,” which Caillat describes in the book. A character mentions seeing Tony Orlando out drinking in L.A., as Caillat did—not exactly a name you’d pluck from the air. Before some takes, Grover says, “Wheels up,” which was Caillat’s studio catchphrase. (“We had airline seats in the control room,” he explained.) “I do believe in coincidence, but not that much,” Shapiro said at intermission. Presented, last week, with Caillat’s reactions to the show, Adjmi, the playwright, responded, “When writing Stereophonic I drew from multiple sources—including autobiographical details from my own life—to create a deeply personal work of fiction. Any similarities to Ken Caillat’s excellent book are unintentional.” Caillat said that he had watched the play in a daze. “I feel like kind of a numbnuts,” he said. “But, yeah, now I feel ripped off!”

by Anonymousreply 210September 26, 2024 3:20 AM

[quote]I'm shocked I'm not reading anything here (or at ATC) about the new scandal concerning David Adjmi possibly stealing scenes from an old memoir by the sound engineer who Eli Gelb plays in Stereophonic, who was the original sound engineer for Fleetwood Mac.

Just wanted to point out that, about 10 years ago, Adjmi was sued (unsuccessfully) for copyright infringement by the producers of THREE'S COMPANY for his play 3C. So some people might say, based on these two incidents, that the originality of his plays is questionable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211September 26, 2024 3:30 AM

[quote]You want theatre gossip? I'm shocked I'm not reading anything here (or at ATC) about the new scandal concerning David Adjmi possibly stealing scenes from an old memoir by the sound engineer who Eli Gelb plays in Stereophonic, who was the original sound engineer for Fleetwood Mac. Apparently, he recently went to see Stereophonic with his lawyers. There have been very recent articles (which I haven't yet read) about this in The New Yorker and Vulture (sorry not to link).

I haven't read the articles you mention, r209, but there is much talk behind the scenes on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 212September 26, 2024 3:35 AM

While 3C was firmly grounded in parody, STEREOPHONIC seems to contain out-and-out instances of plagiarism.

I loved 3C and liked STEREOPHONIC, so I'm no hater. But i think DA is in a bit of trouble.

by Anonymousreply 213September 26, 2024 11:34 AM

If this is true, wouldn't Adjmi know he'd be found out? And ... has the Tony committee ever rescinded an award?

by Anonymousreply 214September 26, 2024 12:02 PM

R214 they fucking should and FINALLY award my Anything Goes performance!

by Anonymousreply 215September 26, 2024 1:08 PM

The things that Adjmi stole from the memoir are impossible to say were just a coincidence, but they also aren't even key to what made the play so good. What in the world was he thinking?

Adding to the whole tapestry is his public accusation last year that Doug Wright and Sean Hayes basically stole his Oscar Levant play.

by Anonymousreply 216September 26, 2024 2:29 PM

[quote]Adding to the whole tapestry is his public accusation last year that Doug Wright and Sean Hayes basically stole his Oscar Levant play.

I don't believe he accused them of stealing his play. He called them out for commissioning him to write a play about Oscar Wilde, then rejecting the one he came up with and going to someone else to write another version, which they ultimately deemed acceptable and produced.

by Anonymousreply 217September 26, 2024 2:47 PM

My mistake, R217. I should have refreshed myself on the details. Apologies.

by Anonymousreply 218September 26, 2024 2:53 PM

Oscar Wilde? Oscar Levant, dear r217.

by Anonymousreply 219September 26, 2024 2:55 PM

Sorry, 219. I was obviously not paying close attention while typing. I know that play was about Oscar Levant, not Oscar Wilde -- two VERY different people.

by Anonymousreply 220September 26, 2024 5:49 PM

In his Carnegie Hall debut last night Oscar Wilde left his contemporaries and his conductor far behind.

by Anonymousreply 221September 26, 2024 5:52 PM

Both Oscars were great raconteurs. Can't say that about many men today.

by Anonymousreply 222September 26, 2024 6:15 PM

What am I? Chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 223September 26, 2024 10:19 PM

Isn't it time for a revival of Moose Murders? Tori Spelling would knock that out of the park.

by Anonymousreply 224September 26, 2024 10:20 PM

R224. The author of The Moose Murders lives in my town and helped start a community theatre. He supposed to be a very nice person—I enjoyed his book about The Moose Murders.

by Anonymousreply 225September 26, 2024 11:05 PM

[quote]He is supposed to be a very nice person—I enjoyed his book about The Moose Murders.

The same is true of Robes Kossez, the guy who wrote ME JACK, YOU JILL. Everyone said he was a sweetheart. After the show flopped, he returned to his day job as a salesman for Altman's.

by Anonymousreply 226September 26, 2024 11:43 PM

Doug Wright was entirely blameless and Adjmi was a sleaze suggesting otherwise. Karma, David?

by Anonymousreply 227September 26, 2024 11:50 PM

The Adjmi issue regarding the Oscar Levant play wasn't just that they rejected his play, but that they held the rights and wouldn't give it back to Adjmi.

And at the time Doug Wright was heading The Dramatists Guild. (maybe he still is?)

by Anonymousreply 228September 27, 2024 12:32 AM

Doug Wright also took over and wrote an underwhelming play starring the underwhelming Sean Hayes.

by Anonymousreply 229September 27, 2024 12:58 AM

[quote]Doug Wright was entirely blameless and Adjmi was a sleaze suggesting otherwise. Karma, David?

Hi Doug Wright's agent!

by Anonymousreply 230September 27, 2024 2:12 AM

I hope we someday get to see David Adjmi's Levant play with Brandon Uranowitz as Oscar. He'd be perfect (unlike like others I could name even if they were given an undeserved Tony).

by Anonymousreply 231September 27, 2024 2:51 AM

How many Dataloungers were cast in this "Senior Guys and Dolls" production?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232September 27, 2024 2:55 AM

R232. They're doing RENT next.

by Anonymousreply 233September 27, 2024 2:57 AM

I saw their "Senior Follies," and, my dear, I'm still here.

by Anonymousreply 234September 27, 2024 3:11 AM

Hey!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235September 27, 2024 5:13 AM

God this thread is dead.

by Anonymousreply 236September 27, 2024 11:33 AM

What do you expect with a TRAVESTY of a leading lady in the OP?

by Anonymousreply 237September 27, 2024 11:34 AM

Any Casey Likes gossip? Who's had him?

by Anonymousreply 238September 27, 2024 12:26 PM

That doesn’t appear to be plagiarism. It’s using factual events in a fictional story, which is done every day / everywhere. It might not be “fair” to the person who lived those scenes, but that doesn’t necessarily rise to a legal cause of action.

by Anonymousreply 239September 27, 2024 12:30 PM

If that engineer has a claim, then so does every member of Fleetwood Mac (or their estate). Nothing doing …

by Anonymousreply 240September 27, 2024 1:58 PM

Andrew Scott Heading To Off Broadway With West End Solo Hit ‘Vanya’:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241September 27, 2024 2:19 PM

I saw the National Theatre recording of this show. It was tiring. It will sell, because he's a star, but it didn't move me at all. One man shows with multiple characters... bleh.

by Anonymousreply 242September 27, 2024 3:12 PM

Are any of you at Sunset Boulevard tomorrow? Anticipating a backlash. Can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 243September 27, 2024 3:13 PM

So, Patti LuPone will be performing her "A Life in Notes" show at the Lyric Opera of Chicago on Friday, October 4.

Hmm. Most people who are cast in starring or major roles in Broadway shows do not have other, pre-scheduled performance commitments that will cause them to take a Friday night off from the Broadway show three weeks after it opens. But then there's Patti, who apparently always tries to have it all. (P.S. I checked the schedule, and they are not adding a performance on another day that week, so there will only be seven that week.)

by Anonymousreply 244September 27, 2024 4:04 PM

I suspect that Broadway will just have to shoulder through that Friday night, r244.

by Anonymousreply 245September 27, 2024 4:09 PM

Or perhaps she had a prior commitment that she chose to honor at a likely struggling nonprofit . and that the Broadway producers were aware of.

by Anonymousreply 246September 27, 2024 4:18 PM

Do you need a hankie, r244?

by Anonymousreply 247September 27, 2024 4:22 PM

Why don't they just put ol' Marsha on in her place?

by Anonymousreply 248September 27, 2024 4:36 PM

Got my catalog for the upcoming season at La Mirada. In addition to the already discussed Jason-Alexander-IS-Tevye, we have:

- Frozen

- Waitress

- The Play Goes Wrong

- Legally Blonde

- The Rocky Horror Picture Show (yes, the movie) featuring Barry Bostwick. ("In person!")

- Tribute shows for Elvis, Abba, ELO, Michael Jackson, Lenny Bruce, Disco, The Police

- Grease and Moana sing-alongs

- "A Toast to Steve & Eydie" featuring their son and Debbie Gravitte

- John Rubinstein as Eisenhower in "This Piece of Ground"

"The Journals of Adam and Eve" with Hal Linden and DL fave Sally Struthers

- Concerts f rom Brian Stokes Mitchell, John Tesh, and Steve Tyrell

by Anonymousreply 249September 27, 2024 5:30 PM

I, too, watched Vanya on National Theatre at Home. Some lovely moments, and just as many puzzling ones. (Why is there a swing on the set? Or that short staircase to nowhere?) I wish Scott had found ways to vocally differentiate the characters (there are physical ones -- playing with a ball, fiddling with a necklace or a dish towel). More than a few times I was unsure who was talking. An interesting experiment -- and inexpensive: one actor, minimal set -- but largely pointless in the end, except as an actor's exercise.

by Anonymousreply 250September 27, 2024 5:34 PM

John Rubinstein as Eisenhower in "This Piece of Ground"

by Anonymousreply 251September 27, 2024 5:46 PM

Have to agree with the two upthread posters on Andrew Scott's VANYA and I saw him live in London.

As I'm a fan it was thrilling fun to see him onstage. He's sexy and vivacious and in the moment in a relatively intimate setting (or maybe I had a really good seat) but - his performance? He doesn't differentiate much as each character (well, he does use a questionable Irish accent for the old nanny Marina) and ultimately, it's not exactly the bravura evening one might expect of this sort of one man show. And I think if you don't know the play well, you'd be utterly lost.

by Anonymousreply 252September 27, 2024 8:34 PM

R244. The Roommate also canceled the evening performance on the 3rd and it looks like Patti will be back in time for the matinee on the 5th. Whatever. At least they cancelled the performances and aren't throwing in an understudy or Marsha with the script.

by Anonymousreply 253September 27, 2024 10:22 PM

Audra standby could be someone in similar age range who works a lot in NY, like Nikki Renee Daniels, Amber Iman (previous Audra understudy) , or LaChanze. Fantasia would really surprise me given her mainly non-theater career.

Hills of California: The American audience seems to be having problems hearing the accents. I read the play and think it is only interesting in the 2nd and 3rd acts. Lots of "my kids are gonna be stars" talk

r250, your description of the one-man Vanya as an acting exercise with barely distinguishable characters was what I was afraid of.

by Anonymousreply 254September 27, 2024 10:24 PM

[quote]Audra standby could be someone in similar age range who works a lot in NY, like Nikki Renee Daniels, Amber Iman (previous Audra understudy) , or LaChanze.

Or Billy Porter.

by Anonymousreply 255September 27, 2024 10:27 PM

Any early word on Our Town?

by Anonymousreply 256September 27, 2024 10:27 PM

R256 I saw it preview night. I've never seen it before so was really curious. I knew next to nothing, but I had enjoyed Skin of Our Teeth at LCT.

We all got a small reprint of the Playbill cover since a few photos were slightly misaligned. We also got a paperback of the actual play. Director Kenny Leon was looking over the crowd outside and then walking the aisles, chatting with people.

The actual play started with the cast saying/singing prayers, I caught some Yiddish, English, and other languages. I liked it overall, especially the young couple. Some audience members were on stage in something similar to jury boxes on the side but I forgot all about them and there didn't seem to be any participation or acknowledgement. Weirdest thing was a mix of modern clothes and mainly early 20th century clothes.

I like the story and how it handled the passage of time. It moved quickly and there was some tears in the audience towards the end. It was funnier than I thought it would be.

I tend to get bored with most dramas since so many revolve around people gathering to argue about a dying/dead parent. It was a relief to see something pleasant, relatable, and I would recommend it, especially if you want a quicker paced drama with no intermission. Whole cast worked well together and there is some brief modern songs throughout. It didn't bug me too much, but could bother someone who wants a traditional treatment. Which is valid, too.

If you enjoyed any version of Skin of Our Teeth, you may like this.

by Anonymousreply 257September 27, 2024 10:53 PM

R256

Emily dies, and stays dead! What a concept.

by Anonymousreply 258September 27, 2024 11:35 PM

Richard Thomas should be the Stage Manager. I can't stand Jim Parsons and would never see anything he's in. And I love Our Town.

by Anonymousreply 259September 28, 2024 1:43 AM

SOOT and OT are utterly different. Please.

by Anonymousreply 260September 28, 2024 1:52 AM

It's hard to ruin OUR TOWN.

Let's see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 261September 28, 2024 1:56 AM

R259 he’s been excellent on stage before. The jury’s out for this show.

by Anonymousreply 262September 28, 2024 2:26 AM

Random thought- Sara Porkalob gave a good performance in that 1776. I bet we’d be seeing her in other stuff had she not been so irresponsible and hurtful that she she have disappeared herself. She does deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 263September 28, 2024 1:40 PM

R263. She could have been matinee Rose!

by Anonymousreply 264September 28, 2024 2:02 PM

I am reading a book called Murder at the Adelphi. It's by an actor who was a member of the ensemble in the original London cast of Sunset Boulevard. Little interesting bits and pieces. As a person with no exposure to the world of theatre, he (I think inadvertently) paints a picture of a horrible life. The rehearsal experience sounds like a nightmare of tedium, imprecision, contradiction and change.

Tidbits so far: an actress sat with no bottoms on, plucking her pubic hair while holding a conversation with him. Kevin Anderson didn't like being undressed on stage for the Lady's Paying. Patti was a changeable character, but generally well liked by the cast. There was tension between her and ALW from very early on. Lloyd Webber barely speaks to anybody - some debate about whether he's a jerk or get a therapist level shy. At the opening night party at the Savoy, one room was booked for the VIPs, the rest of the company and everybody got sat in a separate room. John Barrowman, who took over as Joe after the Patti purge cast change, liked to flash his dick, and once jogged around naked past the dressing rooms. The set was a total nightmare... always malfunctioning, a disaster to build, and contributed to the most of the delays that made them push the opening back.

He writes that DL fav Betty Buckley's contract "contains a special clause. It stipulates that the show can't begin until she is "emotionally prepared" and gives the stage manager her permission for us to go ahead." She apparently was often late past the half hour call.

by Anonymousreply 265September 28, 2024 2:12 PM

Why do you suppose the book is called Murder at the Adelphi, r265? Isn't that misleading? Who is the author?

by Anonymousreply 266September 28, 2024 2:28 PM

[quote]Sara Porkalob gave a good performance in that 1776.

But no better than good, I would say. "Adequate" might be a better word to describe her performance, I thought there was nothing special about it over and above the fact that the role itself it so well written.

Of course, in my opinion, the whole concept of performing 1776 with only women (and people who identify as women) was pointless and ruinous. And apparently I wasn't alone in my opinion, because I'm told there were TONS of empty seats throughout the run, despite lots of discounts being available.

by Anonymousreply 267September 28, 2024 2:33 PM

R266, I have no idea and I don't think he says. The cover is an illustration of Joe's body in the pool. The author is Peter Gale.

by Anonymousreply 268September 28, 2024 2:35 PM

I saw Our Town last night and it wasn't as moving as I remembered.

I don't know if it was because the Doctor’s family was anachronistically AA but I guess we'd best get used to it.

I got more choked up at the curtain call, when the two main families took their bows in their family unit, reunited again.

It's a work in progress, but I think they should manipulate/milk the emotions more in act three. We come for a good cry and they better deliver!

by Anonymousreply 269September 28, 2024 3:02 PM

Patti's beef with ALW started when she asked if she could sing the two big songs at a concert at the Hollywood Bowl. He turned her down as he'd promised Streisand she had first dibs. Then, as she was leaving to go to London, he announced that he had hired Glenn to head the LA production. I have to agree that it was a pretty big slap in the face to do that to your star before she had even gone into rehearsals.

by Anonymousreply 270September 28, 2024 5:45 PM

Your time chronicle is all wrong r270. Glenn was announced once she had already opened the show in London to middling notices.

by Anonymousreply 271September 28, 2024 5:55 PM

"The Roommate" cancelled today. Patti has taken ill.

by Anonymousreply 272September 28, 2024 6:00 PM

R265. I had no idea that book existed. Just ordered a copy from Amazon. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 273September 28, 2024 6:01 PM

No, sorry, r271, I actually knew Patti at the time. It was literally the day she left for London.

by Anonymousreply 274September 28, 2024 6:14 PM

R272. I have a feeling the understudy is there for last minute emergencies like if one of them gets sick during a performance.

by Anonymousreply 275September 28, 2024 6:24 PM

You’re incorrect r274. Glenn was announced for LA after the London production opened. 100%.

by Anonymousreply 276September 28, 2024 6:26 PM

[quote]I actually knew Patti at the time

What did she order?

by Anonymousreply 277September 28, 2024 6:26 PM

For the asshole at r276: The London opening, with Trevor Nunn directing, was set for June 29, 1993, at the Adelphi Theatre (home for eight years to Me and My Girl). John Napier was hired to design the stunning sets, namely Norma Desmond’s rising mansion, where the bulk of the musical would take place, and Anthony Powell would design the costumes. In May 1993 the London cast assembled for the first time, just after an announcement was made that Glenn Close would open the American premiere production in Los Angeles six months after the London opening.

by Anonymousreply 278September 28, 2024 7:08 PM

Glenn was announced for Broadway after London had opened.

by Anonymousreply 279September 28, 2024 7:17 PM

[quote]In May 1993 the London cast assembled for the first time, just after an announcement was made that Glenn Close would open the American premiere production in Los Angeles six months after the London opening.

[quote]Glenn was announced for Broadway after London had opened.

Right, I believe both of the above things are true.

by Anonymousreply 280September 28, 2024 8:07 PM

Then someone needs to write better. The common understanding of “first time” does not = opening night.

by Anonymousreply 281September 28, 2024 8:37 PM

R281, do you still not get it? One person is saying that Glenn Close was announced FOR THE AMERICAN PREMIERE PRODUCTION OF SUNSET BLVD. IN LOS ANGELES just before the London cast assembled for the first time to begin rehearsals, while the other person is saying that Close was not announced FOR BROADWAY until after the London production had opened.

I hope my use of all caps is enough to get through to you.

by Anonymousreply 282September 28, 2024 8:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283September 28, 2024 9:07 PM

As we continue to argue this important topic, let us all keep in mind that none of this even happened in this millennium.

by Anonymousreply 284September 28, 2024 9:19 PM

[quote]As we continue to argue this important topic, let us all keep in mind that none of this even happened in this millennium.

So, r284? Is theatrical history limited to this millennium?

by Anonymousreply 285September 28, 2024 9:30 PM

Sophocles was a hack!

by Anonymousreply 286September 28, 2024 9:32 PM

It is odd, r285, what you deem to be "theatrical history."

by Anonymousreply 287September 28, 2024 9:33 PM

Webber and Lupone are Broadway legends whether you like it or not, r287.

by Anonymousreply 288September 28, 2024 9:35 PM

R288 Broadway legends who are unknowns outside New York.

by Anonymousreply 289September 28, 2024 9:37 PM

That might be news to the West End, R289.

by Anonymousreply 290September 28, 2024 9:46 PM

I'm curious R289, what constitutes a Broadway legend known outside New York, in your estimation?

by Anonymousreply 291September 28, 2024 9:53 PM

When you find yourself double-posting, it's time to log off, r290/r291

by Anonymousreply 292September 28, 2024 9:54 PM

Sorry to jump ahead 30 years, but Jeanine Tesori just said on all things considered that the opera she has just opened (which got panned) is probably her last opera. She also described a moment of musical education from her childhood as a real “ring of keys“ moment, as if that’s a real turn of phrase. I’m sorry, but is that an expression – or is she actually quoting her own musical as if it’s in the vernacular?

We now return you to the history channel

by Anonymousreply 293September 28, 2024 9:57 PM

And the whole SUNSET BLVD. affair involving ALW, LuPone, and Close was certainly one of the most juicy, dramatic theater news stories in many years, so I don't see any problem with it still being brought up occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 294September 28, 2024 9:58 PM

Sorry, R292, did I stump you?

by Anonymousreply 295September 28, 2024 9:59 PM

r295 I'm not that poster, but they clearly got to you

by Anonymousreply 296September 28, 2024 10:09 PM

Tammy Blanchard and Joy Woods are both Audreys and Louises.

by Anonymousreply 297September 28, 2024 10:35 PM

Patti writes in her biography hearing the news from Liz Smith's column and trashing her London dressing room AFTER THE SHOW HAD OPENED. If she had been told this information before rehearsals started, she would have turned around and gone home.

by Anonymousreply 298September 28, 2024 10:59 PM

And the dressing room would have been saved!

by Anonymousreply 299September 28, 2024 11:01 PM

R296, I am gotten to not infrequently by the vast number of petty misanthropes who should be in therapy rather than here, such as yourself. Am I'm happy to say it, you waste.

by Anonymousreply 300September 28, 2024 11:08 PM

R291, since you didn't get the signature, the statement was directed to Lupone as said by Stephen Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 301September 28, 2024 11:34 PM

This lays out the timeline. LuPone opens in London in ’93, finds out about competing LA production. Then, in ‘94 she finds out she will not go to Broadway while still doing the role on the West End. So much drama for a really terribly written, unsatisfying show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302September 28, 2024 11:52 PM

Walk away??? She hasn't stopped bitching about it since the day it happened.

by Anonymousreply 303September 29, 2024 12:06 AM

The problem is a couple of people here talk about it more than she does.

by Anonymousreply 304September 29, 2024 12:19 AM

[quote]r294 the whole SUNSET BLVD. affair involving ALW, LuPone, and Close was certainly one of the most juicy, dramatic theater news stories in many years

Another capricious act by a capricious man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305September 29, 2024 12:43 AM

Isn't it possible that Patti was told about Glenn starring in the LA production months before it was formally and officially announced?

Was the planning of an LA production of SUNSET such a big secret until the Glenn casting was announced?

Who did Patti think was going to star in it? Loni Zoe Ackerman??

by Anonymousreply 306September 29, 2024 1:12 AM

Was Kevin Anderson offered the role on Broadway opposite Close or did she insist on Alan Blandbell.

by Anonymousreply 307September 29, 2024 2:07 AM

R293 It’s definitely not a part of mainstream vernacular but I don’t see an issue with a composer casually referencing the most well-known song from one of their most-successful and Tony-winning works in an interview. How many people who have no reference point for Fun Home are bothering to listen to a long-form Tesori interview?

There are plenty of composers out there who love sniffing their own farts and she may be one of them, but this complaint feels like a reach.

by Anonymousreply 308September 29, 2024 2:07 AM

We'd never criticize Jerry Herman if he spoke about opening a new window in his life.

by Anonymousreply 309September 29, 2024 2:31 AM

Glenn starring in LA wasn’t a surprise to anyone. It was announced and running. It was Glenn coming to New York and LA closing that were the shockers. I believe it was The New York Times that said the show was better with Glenn.

[Quote] Ms. Close's triumph seems certain to complicate the question of who'll be playing Norma if the $10 million show comes to Broadway next fall. Though Ms. LuPone is under contract to play the role in New York, there's bound to be pressure now to bring in the star of the Los Angeles company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310September 29, 2024 2:31 AM

Really? How hard is it to understand. It was announced that Glenn Close would do the LA Production before Patti left to do the London production. It wasn't about it being Glenn Close, it was that Patti was to star in the musical, and never got her moment, because ALW undercut her by announcing another production before the London production had opened. Patti had it in her contract to do the Broadway production but after the London Production opened and the American reviews were not good (the London critics loved her) and then 6 months later, Glenn got great reviews (based on the changes they made with Patti being the guinea pig) ALW offered Broadway to Glenn. Patti sued and now she has an ALW Memorial Pool.

by Anonymousreply 311September 29, 2024 2:33 AM

Sorry., I meant announced for NY.

by Anonymousreply 312September 29, 2024 2:35 AM

[quote]the London critics loved her

Always a red flag

by Anonymousreply 313September 29, 2024 2:35 AM

Now, now, r305... you have to also post this caption with that...

[quote]Faye Dunaway, either before she was fired from Sunset Boulevard or asking for her change back at CVS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314September 29, 2024 2:39 AM

That’s Zooey Deschenel

by Anonymousreply 315September 29, 2024 2:42 AM

Where is Dee Hoty?

by Anonymousreply 316September 29, 2024 2:45 AM

Good question.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317September 29, 2024 2:51 AM

On the extremely popular TV show Gogglebox on Friday night there was a funny duscussion among the civilian participants about John Barrowman. The 56 year okd had claimed he’d been “canceled” because the press had reported he was partial to laying his dick on people’s shoulders. He was then shown as a celebrity contestant on a show called SAS. And it didn’t go well for him,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318September 29, 2024 4:03 AM

Yikes! Is that Elon (or Leon) Musk at R318?

by Anonymousreply 319September 29, 2024 10:58 AM

Whisperkook.

by Anonymousreply 320September 29, 2024 11:15 AM

^^ Oops. Wrong thread. ^^

by Anonymousreply 321September 29, 2024 11:17 AM

R318 yikes. That whole article was bad. He’s the gay, cancelled version of Jill Zarin

by Anonymousreply 322September 29, 2024 12:27 PM

Sunset Blvd. Last night, first preview (a friend had an extra ticket at the last minute). I was not prepared by how great the whole production is. Spoiler: The credits sequence made me jump out of my seat. NS is phenomenal, truly a fantastic musical performance. They have taken the crazy elements, dialed them up a notch and go from there. But it works. I am sure that there will be many haters but it is one astounding piece of work, re-imagined for the best. It will be an expensive ticket but I might have to splurge. It is very, very good. If you are on the fence (I certainly was), go.

by Anonymousreply 323September 29, 2024 1:31 PM

R323, where did you sit? Where do you recommend sitting?

by Anonymousreply 324September 29, 2024 2:11 PM

Everything is pretty much played front and center. I think the whole theatre should be fine for this. I was front mezz.

by Anonymousreply 325September 29, 2024 2:46 PM

R323 I saw it in London and LOVED it! I was there when RJA was there and he seemed less enchanted by the whole thing. I understand it. If you were a gay man in the 90s and went through Patti, Betty, Glenn and Elaine…this would be a huge shock.

As a younger person, who didn’t see any of those women, I loved this!

by Anonymousreply 326September 29, 2024 2:51 PM

Who is RJA?

I know I'll kick myself when I find out.

by Anonymousreply 327September 29, 2024 2:55 PM

Tell the stage manager I am not emotionally prepared for this thread.

I'll join you at the places call.

by Anonymousreply 328September 29, 2024 3:06 PM

R326, it made me appreciate how top heavy and unwieldy the original version was. Stripped down, with the right talent, it's a terrific show. Not perfect - the NYE is a bit silly - but I'll never forget this revival.

by Anonymousreply 329September 29, 2024 3:12 PM

Richard Jay Alexander?

by Anonymousreply 330September 29, 2024 4:16 PM

Can't they wipe the blood off Norma and Joe before the curtain call. Ew.

by Anonymousreply 331September 29, 2024 5:44 PM

R316, Dee Hoty has been battling cancer. She was quite ill, but is doing well now. 🙏🏻

by Anonymousreply 332September 29, 2024 7:27 PM

Thank you for the update. Wishing her the best

by Anonymousreply 333September 29, 2024 7:31 PM

R330 yes

by Anonymousreply 334September 29, 2024 8:36 PM

Old and out of the loop, but could someone spoil the reason they are covered with blood at the end?

I know he's dead, but I would have thought floating in the pool would clean him up a bit and I have no idea why she is bloody, bloody Norma.

by Anonymousreply 335September 29, 2024 9:35 PM

It was murder, Wilder wrote. Catch a thief, and all the jazz.

by Anonymousreply 336September 29, 2024 10:27 PM

I'm not sure he still winds up in the pool. It's just Lloyd's take on the violence. Staging-wise, the whole thing is a departure from the film and musical.

by Anonymousreply 337September 29, 2024 10:31 PM

I'd say without spoiling the direction to the actors and how they play it makes sense of the graphic violence. I was a bit shocked at the rawness, but it's real.

by Anonymousreply 338September 29, 2024 10:33 PM

I was at the first preview too, and it was PACKED with fans and family members and production people. I thought it was interesting production of a lousy show.

by Anonymousreply 339September 29, 2024 10:47 PM

You thought that the first preview might play to an empty house?!

by Anonymousreply 340September 29, 2024 11:15 PM

Patti Lu....uncut!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341September 30, 2024 12:52 AM

Cute little red halter top number.

by Anonymousreply 342September 30, 2024 2:57 AM

Deadline reviews ‘The Hills Of California’:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343September 30, 2024 3:03 AM

NYT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344September 30, 2024 3:04 AM

Most NY critics are so blinded by anything from London on Broadway. Read Sara Holdren at Vulture if you want the truth.

by Anonymousreply 345September 30, 2024 3:53 AM

R252 How does Andrew Scott do a "questionable Irish accent"?

He's Irish. Born in Dublin.

by Anonymousreply 346September 30, 2024 4:44 AM

His Danish accent in Hamlet had a bit of Wexford to it.

by Anonymousreply 347September 30, 2024 4:52 AM

Enhh…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348September 30, 2024 4:55 AM

Hell’s Kitchen cancelled two performances this past week due to cast illness. The grosses should be interesting this week.

by Anonymousreply 349September 30, 2024 10:39 AM

Roommate cancelled performances too.

by Anonymousreply 350September 30, 2024 10:53 AM

How could they tell, R272?

by Anonymousreply 351September 30, 2024 12:12 PM

r346, Scott is playing an old Russian nanny. The choice of accent is questionable.

by Anonymousreply 352September 30, 2024 1:17 PM

Is the COVID causing the cancellations?

by Anonymousreply 353September 30, 2024 1:22 PM

‘Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil’ Musical Announces 2025 Broadway Debut:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354September 30, 2024 1:23 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1933, "As Thousands Cheer" opened at the Music Box Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 355September 30, 2024 2:18 PM

Why do you always post Deadline reviews, of all the media, Greg Evans is nobody.

by Anonymousreply 356September 30, 2024 2:32 PM

R355, As Thousands Cheer featured one of Irving Berlin's catchiest melodies (and great lyrics), Heat Wave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357September 30, 2024 3:28 PM

Don't forget...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358September 30, 2024 4:43 PM

Do you think Fosse could have done more conventional, family style projects later in his life? The sexual content was so heavy from Pippin on. Could he have brought something to the movie of Mame (without Lucy) or Hello Dolly that had less of an Adults Only edge?

by Anonymousreply 359September 30, 2024 4:47 PM

Seeing that the great Gavin Creel has passed away. I heard he was sick just last week. RIP to one of the greats.

by Anonymousreply 360September 30, 2024 4:48 PM

Just awful news. So young, so talented. Wonderful performer. I'm frankly in shock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361September 30, 2024 4:52 PM

OMG, that's so shocking. What a great talent plus he just seemed like a really nice and sweet person. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 362September 30, 2024 5:03 PM

Diagnosed in July, didn’t make it to October. This is crushing. I first saw him in the much troubled Sondheim musical Bounce. He didn’t appear until the second act, when it was clear the show was not delivering. But that voice, on one of the better songs in the show, made you hopeful. What a tragic loss.

by Anonymousreply 363September 30, 2024 5:11 PM

[quote]Diagnosed in July, didn’t make it to October. This is crushing.

If I was diagnosed with cancer, I would want to die as quickly as possible.

by Anonymousreply 364September 30, 2024 5:14 PM

r364 I'll get right on that.

by Anonymousreply 365September 30, 2024 5:22 PM

See that you do.

by Anonymousreply 366September 30, 2024 5:24 PM

Nice obit in the Times:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367September 30, 2024 5:25 PM

I gasped at this news. So so sad.

by Anonymousreply 368September 30, 2024 5:31 PM

Alex Temple-Ward was his partner; I know he was with Jon Groff many years ago. He mentioned a long-term relationship ended during the pandemic, does anyone know who that was?

by Anonymousreply 369September 30, 2024 5:41 PM

There were many posters here who would not stop discussing Gavin’s bathing habits. Literally every single time he was mentioned. Probably the same people who are now posting their thoughts and prayers.

by Anonymousreply 370September 30, 2024 5:48 PM

I do remember that Gavin had some apparently serious health problems during the run of HELLO, DOLLY! that caused him to miss multiple performance of that show -- back problems, if I recall correctly. I wonder if his death was related to that at all? Whatever, so tragic and such a great loss of a sweet human being and a great talent.

by Anonymousreply 371September 30, 2024 6:00 PM

The only show I saw Gavin in was Hello, Dolly! He was marvelous, such a perfect voice for classic showtunes.

I'm heartbroken at this news, and frau-y as it is I'll say FUCK cancer.

by Anonymousreply 372September 30, 2024 6:06 PM

Years ago John Barrowman got kicked out of Equinox Sports Club for having sex in the jacuzzi.

And he's been showing everyone his big dick for YEARS. Of course he was going to end up canceled.

by Anonymousreply 373September 30, 2024 6:47 PM

The Gavin Creel news is so, so sad.

Such a talented man. Much beloved on and off stage, and rightly so.

48. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 374September 30, 2024 6:49 PM

My FB pages are filled with tributes to Gavin, one after the other, scrolling down, by those that knew and loved him and those that admired him from afar.

Julie Halston posted something to the effect: "I can't, I just can't re Gavin...

After about 40 responses a retired stage manager friend of mine wrote: "What's the news?"

WHY CAN"T PEOPLE READ THREADS?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 375September 30, 2024 8:13 PM

r375 They read, they were just being a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 376September 30, 2024 8:18 PM

Gavin had back surgery during the Bernadette run of Hello Dolly. He had to take a couple of months off, Santino Fontana want into the show to cover his absence.

by Anonymousreply 377September 30, 2024 8:51 PM

I have to imagine this is what eldergays felt in the 80s when beloved gay men were dying in their prime.

Its horrible

by Anonymousreply 378September 30, 2024 10:12 PM

NYT reviews "McNeal":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379October 1, 2024 1:11 AM

Deadline:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380October 1, 2024 1:12 AM

Variety:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381October 1, 2024 1:13 AM

[quote]Why do you always post Deadline reviews, of all the media, Greg Evans is nobody.

No reason other than Deadline's reviews are always the first ones that hit my email inbox.

by Anonymousreply 382October 1, 2024 1:19 AM

“Timely. but turgid.”

Eek.

by Anonymousreply 383October 1, 2024 1:28 AM

How is it that LCT, a company that must have access to the finest new plays in the world, can produce a play that so clearly was unworthy on first read? Has Andre Bishop just given up?

Or if they feel some obligation to the playwright, why not at best, produce this stinker on one of their smaller stages?

Also. does RDJ really have no one in his life to advise him on what play to do?

by Anonymousreply 384October 1, 2024 2:03 AM

The huge downturn in quality at Lincoln Center Theater over the past several years is shocking, to say the least. I suppose there were several contributing factors.

by Anonymousreply 385October 1, 2024 2:24 AM

From the Variety review:

[quote]Running at Lincoln Center’s Vivian Beaumont Theater, set designers Michael Yeargan and Jake Barton, lighting designer Donald Holder, sound engineers Justin Ellington and Beth Lake and the digital effects by AGBO (and projections by Barton) work together to create a genuinely immersive experience

There was a time, not too long ago, when such a grammatically offensive sentence would not have been published in a major media outlet. But, apparently, those days are gone.

by Anonymousreply 386October 1, 2024 2:29 AM

Ayad Akhtar had a strong hit at Lincoln Center with "Disgraced".

Sounds like his sophomore play wasn't that hot.

by Anonymousreply 387October 1, 2024 3:33 AM

Ken Page, dead at 70.

Travesty he was never nominated for a Tony

by Anonymousreply 388October 1, 2024 10:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!