Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

did the avon lady come to your house as a small child?

did you love hearing about what the Avon Lady was selling?

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2024 7:44 PM

I'm just saying that perhaps you could be more selective.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2024 4:53 PM

She still comes to my house

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2024 4:55 PM

As a child I lived in a trailer park. of COURSE the avon lady visited. A different avon lady visited my Nana when I was around 25 and I would occasionally buy something so she would swing by my place. She was the one who told me my Nana had died, otherwise I would have never known.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2024 4:57 PM

R3, You can't leave us hanging there like that. Why the disconnect with your Nana.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2024 5:09 PM

Why does the Avon Lady walk so slowly?

Her lipstick.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2024 5:18 PM

I loved it when the Avon lady would drop by. I really enjoyed looking at the children’s bath section in the tiny catalog, with the silly soaps, whimsical bubble bath bottles, and bathtub stickers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2024 5:27 PM

We had the Avon lady AND the Schwan man.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2024 5:31 PM

“My girlfriend found lipstick in my jacket pocket. I told her straight up I was cheating.

There's no way that I was going to confess that I sell Avon.”

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2024 5:32 PM

Ours was a single mother who lived in her parents' basement with her daughter. Lots of whispering about the paternity of her child, mostly surrounding the abrupt departure of the family where she had been their regular babysitter.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2024 5:37 PM

Avon was scandalous

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2024 5:40 PM

She wouldn't have gotten past security at our house.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2024 5:47 PM

No, the Avon Lady was all grown up.

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2024 5:50 PM

Avon lady, Mary Kay lady and Tupperware parties at my house when I was growing up. Was it Mary Kay or Avon with the pink car?

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2024 5:51 PM

Mary Kay has pink cars. Avon ladies rode the bus.

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2024 5:52 PM

right, they all seemed down and dirty

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2024 5:53 PM

r4, my aunt still lived with my Nana and my mother would also visit them. I ran into my mother once and that was sufficient. My Nana understood.

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2024 5:56 PM

I don't recall Avon but we did have the Fuller Brush Man, the Milk Man, the Charlie's Chips Man, the Yard Man, the Mail Man, the Diaper Man and the Tupperware Lady. .My mother was not bored and was flexible. :)

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2024 6:00 PM

My mom was a bad cook and lazy AF (may she RIP), so the Schwann Man was a regular fixture at our house.

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2024 6:04 PM

My sister loved the Here's My Heart perfume

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2024 6:06 PM

We had an Avon lady through church. I remember meeting in the church hall after morning service, where people would often gather for coffee & cookies after, and she would hand out the books and have little samples of those tiny lipsticks and perfume. I remember those Christmas or special decanters of Avon perfume that were holiday editions and the perfume solids that were a locket or would go in your purse, the skin softener jars, and those little talc canisters. I remember getting the bubble bath, too.

by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2024 6:06 PM

Skin-So-Soft was great to keep away the mosquitoes.

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2024 6:08 PM

I loved Avon as a kid and thought it was so elegant.

Unfortunately, we were poor as fuck, and other than getting free catalogs, we never had a visit or bought any of it

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2024 6:27 PM

Now you can buy it on eBay for next to nothing, R22!

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2024 6:32 PM

My best friend’s mother was our local Avon Lady. She was one of the kindest, sweetest people I ever knew.

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2024 6:54 PM

We had an Avon lady who had a Filipino accent. She was a neighbor down the street from my grandmother, and she’d visit when all my aunts were visiting. She was pushing this perfume called Roses, Roses, except she pronounce it “RRRosesss, rrrosesss.” My siblings, cousins and I couldn’t stop laughing (we’re Filipino, too, but never learned the the language). So, after that, we all run around the house yelling, “Rrrosess, rrroses! Rrrosess, rrrosesss!” Of course, we got in trouble for that.

by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2024 7:16 PM

paging the Lipstick and Prada queen of Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 26September 19, 2024 7:22 PM

R25 I remember Roses, Roses! tee hee.

by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2024 7:25 PM

A friend's mother was the Avon Lady and was always trying to hustle my mom, who called her the Ding Dong Lady behind her back.

by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2024 7:30 PM

Yes. She was also our Dentist's Hygienist. My mom politely listened to her shpiel (same as Jehovah's Witnesses) but never bought anything. She wasn't a makeup-wearer.

by Anonymousreply 29September 19, 2024 7:34 PM

r22, we were just above poor as fuck, and my mom liked cheap jewelry. after she died I had BOXES and BOXES of the stuff to get rid of

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2024 7:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!