Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Martha Stewart claims Ina Garten ‘stopped talking to me’ when she went to prison

Martha Stewart and Ina Garten’s friendship hasn’t always been chocolate chip cookies and coconut cupcakes.

The domestic doyens’ friendship appears to have become strained when Stewart, 83, went away to prison in 2004 for charges related to conspiracy and obstruction of justice.

“When I was sent off to Alderson Prison, she stopped talking to me,” Stewart told The New Yorker in a Sept. 2 profile on Garten, 76.

“I found that extremely distressing and extremely unfriendly,” she added.

Stewart was sent to Alderson Federal Prison Camp after being convicted of conspiracy, obstruction and two counts of lying to federal investigators. She was also accused of securities fraud, though a jury found her not guilty on that more serious charge.

A judge sentenced the homemaking icon to five months in prison, five months of home confinement and two years of supervised probation. She was also hit with a $30,000 fine.

Stewart has always maintained she was innocent.

Garten disputes and “firmly” denies Stewart’s recollection of what happened between them in 2004, a period The New Yorker described as “the end of their friendship.”

Stewart’s publicist, Susan Magrino, also told the outlet that her client is “not bitter at all” about the fallout with Garten.

“There’s no feud,” Magrino insisted.

Stewart and Garten met in the early ’90s thanks to a lemon square emergency.

While driving around East Hampton, New York, in a giant black suburban one day, Stewart all of a sudden “veered almost crashingly to the curb and said, ‘I’ve got to get lemon squares,’” Chip Gibson – the head of Crown Publishing at the time – recalled to The New Yorker.

That led Stewart to Garten’s since-shuttered Barefoot Contessa shop.

“My desk was right in front of the cheese case and we just ended up in a conversation,” Garten recalled of the meeting in a 2017 TIME interview. “We ended up actually doing benefits together where it was at her house and I was the caterer, and we became friends after that.”

Stewart went on to help Garten’s career in many ways. Stewart featured Garten on a 1999 episode of her show “Martha Stewart Living,” introduced her to an editor who later collaborated with her on her debut cookbook, “The Barefoot Contessa” (a name that has become synonymous with the Food Network star), and wrote the foreword for that book.

“It took a while, but I finally understood what motivated Ina, realizing that here was a true kindred spirit with really similar but unique talents,” Stewart wrote.

Despite the rumored animosity between the stars, Garten has praised Stewart publicly.

“I think she did something really important, which is that she took something that wasn’t valued, which is home arts, and raised it to a level that people were proud to do it and that completely changed the landscape,” she said in her 2017 TIME profile.

“I then took it in my own direction, which is that I’m not a trained professional chef, cooking is really hard for me — here I am 40 years in the food business, it’s still hard for me.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 21, 2024 12:13 AM

FNART!

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2024 8:42 AM

Ina Garten has many bad qualities

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2024 9:15 AM

Well when you're a convicted felon, you have to accept some responsibility for the fallout of friendships.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2024 10:21 AM

Bitches gonna bitch.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2024 11:59 AM

Martha is a cunt to bring this up.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2024 12:06 PM

It's not like Martha was a convicted sex offender, R3. Garten sounds like a fair-weather friend.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2024 12:06 PM

There is a covert, tough pragmatism behind managing this type of media presence over time. I also think these relationships change as each individual’s brand stature evolves. Ina’s notoriety was steadier and (publicly) gentler than Martha’s, with the exception of that make-a-wish situation in which Ina’s instincts made her retreat.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2024 12:27 PM

When they were younger, Martha seemed scrappier than Ina. Her later ventures were showier and messier, and more desperate than Ina’s. Martha pushed product through channels like Kmart and tried integrating live audiences and more celebrities in different seasons of “lifestyle” media (it was interesting to see her with Amy Sedaris, Joan Rivers, etc).

Food and cooking process remained closer to the center of Ina’s material. She staged some guest appearances with “friends”, but awkwardly. She was less adventurous than Martha, no schtick with rappers, cbd, thirsty photos on social media and then Sports Illustrated. Martha was taller, blonder, more likely to punch you.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2024 12:47 PM

It looks like outtakes from Martha’s Sports Illustrated photo session are missing, and if they’re leaked, there are embarrassing images of her contorting into position for the camera. That sounds sad and kind of gross. Late night black box “Warning: Potentially Disturbing” Discovery Channel type images.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2024 12:52 PM

If the situations were reversed, you'd best believe Martha would have dropped Ina like a hot potato, too.

Neither of them got where they are by putting sentiment ahead of commerce.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2024 12:55 PM

I love them both.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2024 1:23 PM

R11- Exactly.

That’s why the homos love these two broads because they’re mean and rather ruthless especially Martha.

We all know Martha Stewart NEVER was a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2024 1:25 PM

R11 Yes. To caterers presenting an invoice “the experience of working for me is worth more than I could pay you”. To gardeners after footage of fruit trees and plantings all rushed into place just before production “you can have them back. Any lawyers I could hire would be a lot better than yours”.

“You’ve done a great job. Now get out.”

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2024 1:54 PM

^^ meant for R12

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2024 1:55 PM

Consider yourself lucky Martha that you weren’t subject to Ina’s flatulence. She rips some nasty smelling farts.

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2024 1:58 PM

[quote] Stewart and Garten met in the early ’90s thanks to a lemon square emergency.

Haha, that's the frauiest Frau thing I've ever read here!

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2024 2:20 PM

Lemon Square Emergency is the name of my new punk band!

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2024 2:47 PM

It sounds more like a psychedelic '60s band, r17. I can just picture them on a double bill with Strawberry Alarm Clock!

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2024 3:27 PM

As noted numerous times, Garten has no female friends, just a bunch of gay men and she falls out with them as well (JR, anyone). I enjoy her show and love her cookbooks, but by her own admission, she had a terrible childhood with distant, abusive parents. It might account for her coldness towards friends who come and go so quickly. I do wonder if she's really MTM in Ordinary People. Josh wouldn't have been in jail.

Conan was always a Martha fan and even had her on the show right after she was released and made numerous jokes about it. "That looks like something you made when you were away."

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2024 3:36 PM

well, she's a fair weathered friend

by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2024 3:40 PM

[quote]Martha Stewart claims Ina Garten ‘stopped talking to me’

It's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2024 3:46 PM

Does Ina really fart a lot or is this some type of DL urban legend?

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2024 3:53 PM

she's a cow...she farts like one

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2024 3:57 PM

It's still mind boggling that Steward actually served prison time.

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2024 4:05 PM

STEWART.. I meant STEWART! Don't come for me bitches.

by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2024 4:06 PM

Fair weather friends = the worst.

by Anonymousreply 26September 19, 2024 4:11 PM

[quote] To gardeners after footage of fruit trees and plantings all rushed into place just before production

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2024 4:21 PM

Yeah, it's weird. You get a conviction for a crime and all of a sudden peopledon't believe anymore that you're a good person.

by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2024 4:26 PM

I work with incarcerated people. Trust me when I say that Martha was absolutely railroaded by the system because she was a wealthy white woman business mogul who was highly aggressive in her business practices, and the boys didn’t like that, it was scary for them. You know who prosecuted her? None other than JAMES COMEY. Now, did she cheat? Yep. But that is done thousands of times per day. My problem with her case is that she was singled out while they let the men who are doing this dozens of times per day get away with it forever. It’s fucking *bullshit*. Be consistent, either prosecute them all, or prosecute none. But Martha proved she’s a true gansta’ by how she owned it and bounced back. Ain’t no shame to her game, other than being a horrible cunt to work for. And maybe a narcissist.

Ina? Ina is someone suffering from untreated Complex PTSD who eats her feelings. So her mental problems come out much much much differently than Martha. Martha pushes forward, Ina needs to retreat. Martha is a cat, Ina is a turtle. But it’s not because Ina is weak, it’s just her survival mechanism. Because of her C-PTSD being untreated, she continues to have major trust issues, hence the tumultuous friendship pattern.

by Anonymousreply 29September 19, 2024 5:00 PM

[quote] I work with incarcerated people. Trust me when I say that Martha was absolutely railroaded by the system

I don't trust what you're saying.

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2024 5:12 PM

[quote] But Martha proved she’s a true gansta’ by how she owned it and bounced back. Ain’t no shame to her game

Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 31September 19, 2024 5:13 PM

FNART!

by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2024 5:18 PM

I worked for the SEC when it was in the NYSE - stock exchange. Prosecution is EXTREMELY selective.

by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2024 5:26 PM

She may have stopped talking to her because of her husband's job. He is a dean of business at Yale. It would be a bad look for him or Ina to be cavorting with someone convicted of securities fraud.

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2024 6:36 PM

A question on my Harvard Law School corporate law final exam around that time asked us to argue whether Martha’s actions met the legal standard for insider trading or not, so certainly the Ivy profs were not out for her blood. (I argued not.) I think she just ended up charged with obstruction, though.

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2024 6:55 PM

That question proves nothing about professors' consensus on Stewart, if there was one, which I doubt. You have a Harvard JD, or they flunked you?

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2024 7:38 PM

Anyone bitching through their publicist is a cunt - that’s you that is Martha my dear.

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2024 9:12 PM

Honestly the more I read about Martha the less sympathy I have for her conviction. She was a nasty cunt who routinely skipped out on paying craftsmen and artists their fees after they completed their work. And told them to sue if they wanted the money for it which she knew they wouldn't have the time or resources to do. She developed quite a reputation in her Connecticut town for her greed and abuse.

She was also mentally abusive to her husband, and then stalked him and his new girlfriend after he finally filed for divorce. There is a reason she has not had a long-term relationship since her divorce in 1990.

Furthermore, her only daughter is one of the most damaged human beings foisted on the public, even if for a short time. Chelsea Handler had a podcast and Martha was a guest and actually admitted she wished her female friends would die so she could have their husbands.

At this point, she'll slap her name on any piece of crap just to fill up her coffers, trading in on her past reputation of taste and beauty. And really, how many gew gaws can someone buy for Thanksgiving or Easter? It's pure consumerism yuppie mindset and it's already old fashioned and distasteful.

She's fucking crazy and has serious mental and emotional problems. Her only good quality is her democratic Catholic mindset. I do admire her commitment to democratic and charitable causes. But that's it.

If she wasn't an attractive blonde woman she wouldn't have gotten away with half of the shit she's pulled.

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2024 9:58 PM

[quote] A question on my Harvard Law School corporate law final exam

🙄

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2024 10:09 PM

These are the facts, in a nutshell:

[quote] CBS News reported that Martha Stewart sold away ImClone Systems stocks worth $228,000 on December 27, 2001. On the very next day, the Food and Drug Administration rejected ImClone’s application for the approval of a cancer drug. This had a bad effect on the company’s share values. Prosecutors claimed that Stewart had been informed by her broker that Sam Waksal, ImClone’s CEO, had himself been trying to sell off his stakes at the company, and that is what prompted the same from Stewart. The court sentenced Waksal to seven years in prison for insider trading. He admitted to authorities that he got information about the Food and Drug Administration’s decision even before it was official.

So, basically, Martha received an insider "tip" and acted upon it. Then lied about it. $228,000! Not much!

Anyway, I forgot that she actually went to trial and lost. I thought she pled out.

If it's selective prosecution, I don't feel sorry for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2024 10:16 PM

In the article posted in the other Ina Garten thread, she admitted she didn't think it was worth it to take a political stance.

She said that Taylor Swift came out against some asshole running for governor (?) and the guy "won, anyway."

by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2024 10:17 PM

Ina > Martha

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2024 10:23 PM

Yes, Ina does weigh more than Martha.

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2024 10:26 PM

What happened between Ina and TR?

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2024 12:51 AM

[quote] What happened between Ina and TR?

She farted on him, and he needed oxygen to be resuscitated.

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2024 12:57 AM

Wealthy, vapid white celebrity chef problems…

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2024 1:25 AM

She didn’t want to get shivved

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2024 3:26 AM

R30, then don’t trust what I’m saying. Go look up statistics on how our justice system works, read the stories from the people being run through the system firsthand and learn something new. A great place to start learning about actual life as an incarcerated person is listening to the Podcast called “EarHustle”. A great site for statistics on how fucked the system is is called the Prison Policy Institute. Another good one is the Equal Justice Initiative. Learn about the Second Chances Act too.

R38 I don’t disagree with anything you posted. But both can be true, the justice system singled her out to make an example of her, AND she’s a raging narcissist bitch of a woman too, likely. But I separate the two. She’s maybe the biggest asshole on earth, but what I’m fighting for is a FAIR system, and fair means consistent. Right now we have two systems, one for the rich, one for the poor. That’s bullshit! The system is utterly broken and skewed toward hurting poor black/brown people who don’t have resources to fight. Our public defenders violate their civil rights every single goddamn day by failing to perform their most basic responsibilities for their defendants. They will blame burnout, but that’s not my fucking problem. Yet another way it’s broken is his political it is, it’s all who you know and if they like you or hate you. James Comey had it out for Martha, and I’m going to assume it’s because she was a rich powerful leader who was a fucking woman, just like he did to Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2024 4:01 AM

[quote]“When I was sent off to Alderson Prison, she stopped talking to me,” Stewart told The New Yorker in a Sept. 2 profile on Garten, 76. “I found that extremely distressing and extremely unfriendly,” she added.

Well, imagine that... SOME professionals invested in their public image choose to detach themselves from goddamn JAILBIRDS!

Shocking.

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2024 4:37 AM

[quote]r9 Outtakes from Martha’s Sports Illustrated photo session are missing ... there are embarrassing images of her contorting into position for the camera. That sounds sad and kind of gross.

Martha was a professional model from ages 15 to 26. She's contorted with the best of them. You don't have to worry about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2024 5:28 AM

Ina is a cunt. Remember when she refused to meet with a Make-A-Wish kid?

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2024 5:30 AM

[quote]Martha was a guest and actually admitted she wished her female friends would die so she could have their husbands.

I guess that kind of sums up why I like her.

by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2024 5:45 AM

But can Ina cook Polish food?

by Anonymousreply 53September 20, 2024 5:54 AM

THAT FAT BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2024 6:19 AM

I like quite a few of Martha's recipes. I've been thinking of signing up for Marley Spoon.

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2024 6:41 AM

Ina is a strange person.

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2024 3:57 PM

As that cunt bitch has anything to say, child hater wench, I hope she gets cancer next, fat hog

by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2024 5:17 PM

R48 she never would have become a rich powerful leader without the help of men. Same with Hilary. Her then husband was a successful lawyer who negotiated her first book deal. He spent countless hours doing back breaking labor on their farm, which was photographed for her various books. She then drove him away with her psychotic behavior and he had to file a restraining order against her.

People have it out for her because she is a vile person. She's also a homophobe who only now welcomes gays into her life because they are the only men who can stand her. She used to refer to the struggling gay actors she hired as waiters for her her catering company as "fairies"

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2024 6:52 PM

R48 also your point about a different system for rich and poor makes no sense in this context because Martha Stewart was rich and she still went to jail.

by Anonymousreply 59September 20, 2024 6:59 PM

I would so love if Ina went to jail. A really good jail.

by Anonymousreply 60September 20, 2024 7:11 PM

I really don’t understand the hate for Ina on Datalounge. So she told some dying kid she didn’t want to see him once. Maybe she had major shit going on in her personal life. Other than that, why don’t we like her? I don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 61September 20, 2024 10:46 PM

Ina farts up a storm. Never stand near her.

by Anonymousreply 62September 20, 2024 10:47 PM

[quote] Ina farts up a storm. Never stand near her.

If you could only smell her bathroom, after she gives one of her lavish parties, with all that rich food.

Oy, gevalt!

It needs to be aired out for a solid 24 hours, just to get rid of the stench!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 20, 2024 10:53 PM

[quote] She may have stopped talking to her because of her husband's job.

Why would a closet drag queen make her stop talking to Martha?

by Anonymousreply 64September 21, 2024 12:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!