Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dolly Parton to Beyonce: You weren't snubbed

Country music legend Dolly Parton shared her thoughts on Beyoncé receiving zero CMA Awards nominations earlier this month for her acclaimed, chart-topping album "Cowboy Carter."

When asked about the snub during an interview with Variety, published on Tuesday, the "9 to 5" singer shared, "Well, you never know. There's so many wonderful country artists that, I guess probably the country music field, they probably thought, well, we can't really leave out some of the ones that spend their whole life doing that."

"It was a wonderful album. She can be very, very proud of, and I think everybody in country music welcomed her and thought that, that was good," Parton continued.

Parton said she did not think that Beyoncé was intentionally barred from nominations.

"I don't think it was a matter of shutting out, like doing that on purpose. I think it was just more of what the country charts and the country artists were doing, that do that all the time, not just a specialty album," she said.

"Cowboy Carter," released March 29, spent four weeks at No. 1 on Billboard's Top Country Albums chart, and helped her become the first Black woman to top that chart.

At the time of the nomination announcements earlier in September, CMA declined to comment on Beyoncé's lack of nominations. "Good Morning America" also reached out to a representative for Beyoncé for comment.

Earlier in the interview, Parton exalted the hitmaker's foray into country music, calling "Cowboy Carter" a "great album."

"She's a country girl in Texas and Louisiana, so she grew up with that base. It wasn't like she just appeared out of nowhere," she said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 22, 2024 1:23 AM

Great response Dolly. She clearly adores the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2024 8:13 AM

This black guy got two CMA nominations for a much better song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2024 8:20 AM

Dolly knows it is a business, and gave a businesslike response to all this manufactured, hysterical shit.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2024 8:23 AM

[quote] This black guy got two CMA nominations for a much better song.

And it was based on this rap song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2024 1:06 PM

BeYONDce is NOT a queen. Stop the bullshit, Teacack.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2024 1:28 PM

Ever the diplomat, Dolly knows a flop when she sees one. And boy was that album a stinker.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2024 1:39 PM

Exactly ,R6.

Dolly was just being very gracious and diplomatic.

I heard a couple of songs from Beyonce's "country" album, and it didn't sound country at all.

It just sound like Beyonce's typical music, with a country-ish vibe.

That doesn't make it country.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2024 2:17 PM

Dolly asked not to be selected into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, because she is not a rock singer; they voted her in anyway. She is very aware that honors should be given to those in specific genres who have worked hard and produced music in that genre, not crossing over for one shot.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2024 2:22 PM

Why should a novelty album win awards meant for artists that are truly dedicated to the genre? And I say that as somebody who doesn't like 99% of country music. But I totally understand why they weren't impressed by Beyoncé's "look at me, being a black cowgirl!" album. A white country star making a rap album would be vilified, not celebrated, and they certainly wouldn't be nominated for any awards.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2024 2:25 PM

Beyonce and JayZ are so entitled.

I think it was this year or last, when JayZ made a big fuss at the Grammy's, about Beyondce not winning some award.

He said she DESERVED it.

No one deserves anything, asshole. You earn it.

And she neither earned nor deserved a country award nomination. Now GO AWAY!

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2024 2:29 PM

Remember India Arie being Grammy-nominated NINE times in one year, and going home empty handed? Was it the following year that she won for "I Am Not My Hair?" Even if Cowpoke Carter was an absolute masterpiece, the Grammies aren't about fairness.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2024 3:12 PM

Beyonce stated herself this isn't a country album, Bey stans need to let this go.

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2024 3:13 PM

Tell that to her mother as well.

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2024 6:28 PM

Dolly IS rock and roll, because she triumphed despite the obstacles of the sexist, patronising times she lived through, and because she is gloriously talented. Beyoncé just doesn’t compare. She might have huge sales, but nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the public.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2024 7:58 PM

Dolly is a legendary pro. People like Beyonce need to bow down to the real Queen and take note.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2024 8:11 PM

[quote]Great response Dolly. She clearly adores the Queen.

I thought so too but that won't placate the Hive.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2024 8:21 PM

What r9 said.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2024 8:26 PM

Classy response from Dolly, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2024 8:27 PM

You wasn't snubbed, Hon.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2024 8:28 PM

[quote] There's so many wonderful country artists that, ... they probably thought, well, we can't really leave out some of the ones that spend their whole life doing that.

That's the gist of what Dolly said. Beyonce and JayZ think that everything they touch must turn to gold - immediately. If Beyonce doesn't put out a 2nd country album, then we know why.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2024 8:42 PM

Yeah, really. Basically what Dolly’s sayin’ is: “Commit to the bit, bitch!”

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2024 10:43 PM

Team Dolly

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2024 11:51 PM

Why do people think Beyonce should automatically be nominated for that shitty music?

This ain't Texas This aint hold 'em

moronic lyrics from a shitty song.

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2024 12:11 PM

Dolly is always total class.

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2024 12:49 PM

Lipstick Alley is featuring divorce rumors for her

by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2024 12:43 AM

^Beyonce and Jay Z

by Anonymousreply 26September 22, 2024 12:43 AM

JayZ has better things to be worried about, right now.

by Anonymousreply 27September 22, 2024 1:20 AM

Do people still watch these shows?

by Anonymousreply 28September 22, 2024 1:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!