Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nepo: the website

Nepo babies of the rich and famous.

This could have been done by a Datalounger--all with oil portraits and hilariously stilted dialogue, and where you can rate them on their nepotism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 25, 2024 10:56 PM

Why are people so obsessed with nepo babies?

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2024 12:00 AM

From the website, R1. Maybe read a little. It's also entertaining, silly.

Welcome to NEPO, where we‘ve got the scoop on nepotism and nepo babies in Hollywood. Basically, we‘ve put together a database of all the kids of famous folks who have managed to use their family connections to get ahead in the entertainment industry. We‘re not just here to dish on the latest scandals, though. We want to have a real conversation about how Nepotism affects the industry as a whole. It‘s not just about who gets cast in which movie or TV show - it‘s about the bigger picture of diversity and inclusivity in Hollywood. Our team is constantly digging up new info, so you can be sure that our database is up-to-date and accurate. And we‘re not afraid to call out anyone who‘s playing favorites or not giving everyone a fair shot. We think it‘s time to shine a light on Nepotism in Hollywood and make sure everyone has a fair chance to succeed.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2024 12:07 AM

What am I chopped liver?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2024 12:11 AM

I blame Mama!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2024 12:39 AM

Annoying website using those pics of celebrities unnecessarily.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2024 12:52 AM

Pics? They're portraits, not pictures, and what do you mean "unnecessarily," R5?

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2024 1:26 AM

"Her Highness" Sosie Bacon, Kevin Bacon's daughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2024 1:29 AM

R5 = Jamie Leigh Curtis.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2024 1:56 AM

I had no idea Amanda Seyfried as related to Blythe Danner, though I still haven't found the exact tie.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2024 1:59 AM

And they honor non-nepos--self-starters like Jennifer Coolidge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2024 2:03 AM

I do enjoy Jennifer Coolidge, who is one of a kind. She did an episode of [italic]the Closer[/italic], one of their more comical episodes featuring G.W. Bailey.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2024 2:09 AM

Are you a self starter or a beneficiary?

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2024 2:42 AM

Why is Lourdass not on there?

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2024 2:59 AM

[quote]I had no idea Amanda Seyfried as related to Blythe Danner, though I still haven't found the exact tie.

Apparently, they are very distantly related through some long ago Danner connection.

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2024 3:15 AM

Trow-MA!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2024 3:16 AM

They have a “Today's Nepo Birthdays” section!

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2024 3:22 AM

You're only a nepo baby if the person is sufficiently closely related that their influence actually opens doors AND they are sufficiently connected that the doors they can open are ones you'd actually want to walk through.

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2024 3:53 AM

Looks like the website is still a work in progress.

Some of their "self-starters" came from very wealthy families, thus having parents with influential friends in the industry, so able to get doors opened as easily as the child of a famous actor

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2024 3:59 AM

But the vast majority of non-connected actors r17 have a lot of difficulty getting any doors opened, let alone doors to success that nepo babies have access to

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2024 4:03 AM

R18 - I agree. Nepotism is one half of this - wealth is another. It's crazy how many children of wealthy families have gone into show business - not just as actors.

I would say wealth actual may help more than being related to a well-known actor, depending on the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2024 5:32 AM

seems nepotism benefits female careers way more than male careers.

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2024 10:24 AM

I don’t think this is all that different from becoming a plumber because your dad was a plumber, or a lawyer because your mom was a lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2024 11:15 AM

Oh, brother, R22. Right, having your dad as a plumber is no different than if your dad is Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2024 12:50 PM

Nepotism is not usually required when one becomes a lawyer or plumber. One hardly needs someone else's help to get their foot in the door.

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2024 6:03 PM

Nepotism is indeed extremely helpful in both the building trades and in lawyering. But my point is that in all three cases a child could grow up with an interest in something because they saw a parent finding fulfillment (of one kind or another) in it.

by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2024 6:48 PM

R25, it's not like there are others competing for the same jobs as plumbers. They're not the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 26September 19, 2024 7:49 PM

Nobody wants to hire a plumber because one of their parents is a famous plumber

by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2024 7:53 PM

Exactly, R27. It's a laughably false equivalence.

by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2024 7:55 PM

No, it’s more like they can get into the apprentice program or join the union if their parent was a plumber.

by Anonymousreply 29September 19, 2024 9:18 PM

R22 is Kate Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2024 9:51 PM

[quote]r29 It’s more like they can get into the apprentice program or join the union if their parent was a plumber.

Are these difficult to join?

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2024 2:17 AM

R21 Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2024 2:18 AM

I can count to ten!

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2024 2:20 AM

[quote]r21 seems nepotism benefits female careers way more than male careers.

So true. We guys have to bite, scratch, and claw our way up the ladder ON OUR OWN!

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2024 2:25 AM

Yep.

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2024 2:54 AM

[quote]seems nepotism benefits female careers way more than male careers.

If it weren't for nepotism, I'd have no career at all.

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2024 3:04 AM

I'm headed to prison due to my own hard work.

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2024 3:07 AM

Long list of suspects if the site ever gets hacked or mysteriously shuts down. I'm betting my money the top suspect will be a certain delusional queen whose father runs Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2024 6:27 AM

[quote]Are these difficult to join?

I'm not the poster you're replying to but, yes, historically, yes, they were difficult to join. Union jobs came with a security that was highly prized and cronyism was rampant.

[quote]Nepotism is indeed extremely helpful in both the building trades and in lawyering

This is true. Posters who say "No one's going to hire you because your dad was a plumber" are missing several points, one of the biggest being what constitutes power in the trades. It isn't working out of your own truck or van, it's owning a fleet of them that you never step foot in because your afternoons are spent drinking or playing golf with friends who also inherited stakes in successful businesses.

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2024 1:19 PM

Pssst- nepotism isn't the reason you didn't get that acting role.

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2024 1:33 PM

Central Casting knows damn well they are not calling in actors for auditions on an equal basis

Nepotism is why you got into the room to have a chance and helped you get the job

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2024 2:02 PM

under 30s, 30s, boomers. Gen X erasure Again!

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2024 2:04 PM

I wish I was a Nepo baby. I would like their money and headstart in every facet of life.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2024 2:07 PM

[quote] I don’t think this is all that different from becoming a plumber because your dad was a plumber, or a lawyer because your mom was a lawyer.

Inclined to agree but we'd been told that acting was a creative talent. Your skills would limit your plumbing or law career. You can get farther as a nepo baby actor. Dakota Johnson can be placed in starring roles.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2024 2:10 PM

Classic Datalounge would have recognised this site for the bitchy masterpiece it is.

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2024 2:10 PM

Acting is mysterious to me. I see and get some of the greats. But it's also something anyone could do a little of? Art and music are kinda the same way.

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2024 2:13 PM

I don't like this site. It's not great to navigate. I need more gut punch of the roles they shouldn't have gotten.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2024 2:18 PM

Some of the boomer ones are great like Jamie Lee Curtis and Laura Dern. They survived the industry by being good. I think the idea with the whole Nepo thing lately is that Hollywood has become More unfair. There's a whole caste of 20-something children of celebrities now. And some of them are so obviously useless.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2024 2:25 PM

The problem with this site is it's not at all comprehensive

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2024 2:28 PM

Sorry, I can't applaud a site that is so obviously heavily AI generated.

And it's for whiner babies.

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2024 2:30 PM

It's a fun site, thanks OP

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2024 2:51 PM

How to say "I'm an Eldergay posting" without saying "I'm an Eldergay posting" @r50

by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2024 4:46 PM

Should we be trashing Margaret Qualley more? She looks good, and is a decent enough actress. But still… we know how she got there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 20, 2024 5:56 PM

[quote]I had no idea Amanda Seyfried as related to Blythe Danner, though I still haven't found the exact tie.

That's because I had them taken down. My dear mother's slutty half-sister's daughter got knocked up after downing a fifth of Jack at a bar one night, and nine months later: hello, Amanda! We do not, however, need constant reminders of the trollop on the Danner side of the family.

We do not acknowledge our relationship with Amanda because she's the product of trash that we've consciously disowned from our lives, for purposes of achieving world peace.

Namaste.

by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2024 6:05 PM

Any idea how they calculate each nepo baby's score? Just curious why Emilio Estevez is a 10 but Jamie Lee is a 9, considering she just won an Oscar and he was last seen in public roughly 60 years ago. Also: Briana Evigan – a name I've never heard before today, and the child of an actor I haven't seen onscreen in at least 30 years – is ranked at the same level as DL fave Mamie Gummer and Allison Williams? Please.

Speaking of Mamie: she's somehow related to Rue McClanahan? How?!? Given the curious Amanda/Blythe thing, I'm skeptical this is accurate.

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2024 6:13 PM

r52, I'm a millennial in tech, try again. Ageist comments are dumb and boring.

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2024 8:15 PM

Is there some reason why they used AI-generated avatars instead of actual pictures of the nepos? It's annoying because many of them look NOTHING like the actual "star."

by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2024 8:20 PM

OK - I'll try again

Hey Everyone! Check out r50 whipping her dick out at r56

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2024 8:21 PM

R46 Acting is mysterious to me. I see and get some of the greats. But it's also something anyone could do a little of? Art and music are kinda the same way.

versus plumbing - which absolutely anyone could do if they 1.) study the mechanics of waste and water systems, and 2.) are willing to get their hands dirty.

by Anonymousreply 59September 20, 2024 8:27 PM

^^ ooops, should be

[quote]r46 Acting is mysterious to me. I see and get some of the greats. But it's also something anyone could do a little of? Art and music are kinda the same way.

by Anonymousreply 60September 20, 2024 8:28 PM

R49, it's a work in progress, as it says. It adds new people. Okay?

by Anonymousreply 61September 20, 2024 8:44 PM

Yeah, they need to add Ron and Clint Howard and Bryce Dallas Howard.

Chris Pine

Rumer Willis

Lily-Rose DP…er Depp

by Anonymousreply 62September 20, 2024 9:06 PM

I don't think anyone has an issue with it when they're great, such as Jane Fonda, Liza, Laura Dern, etc. Or work around the margins and are charismatic and interesting like Isabella Rosellini. They all did the work and showed talent. Its when people like Lily Rose Depp are catapulted to instant fame and starring roles based on nothing but famous parents, which seems to be how it works now.

by Anonymousreply 63September 20, 2024 11:05 PM

I didn't mind Miguel Ferrer because he was good and worked hard. Zosia Fucking Mamet, however, . . .

by Anonymousreply 64September 20, 2024 11:09 PM

R62, I actually had to look Chris Pine up. Had no idea his dad starred on CHiPs, though I was admittedly in elementary school when it was on the air.

Speaking of which: is someone truly a "nepo baby" if they're just incidentally related to a celebrity of some sort? Being the child of an A-lister is very different from being the progeny of a TV actor who had one hit show 45 years ago but has been relegated to 2x-3x guest star appearances per year. How on earth could Chris have benefitted from the "fame" of a D-list celeb? The evidence suggests nothing of the sort: he didn't get into acting until he went to Cal – and, unlike the spawn of a certain Desperate Housewife, he got in on his own volition – and was a struggling actor for 5-6 years until he landed the "Star Trek" lead.

by Anonymousreply 65September 20, 2024 11:10 PM

A major hurdle for every actor is getting agent manager representation. It's a gateway to getting auditions.

Chris' father certainly had an LA agent, not the best in town, but an agent still getting him some work. Chris was able to get that LA agent to work on his behalf with one phone call from his father. That's how it works for all nepo babies.

Chris may have struggled for 5-6 years, but he was already miles ahead of thousdands of other LA actors who couldn't get the auditions that he was getting

by Anonymousreply 66September 20, 2024 11:32 PM

I protest, sirs.

I was NOT a nepo baby.

by Anonymousreply 67September 21, 2024 12:00 AM

A what? A wha-doodlee-ut?

Boyaah. Wanna beer?

by Anonymousreply 68September 21, 2024 12:01 AM

R66, a *slight* advantage finding an agent isn't *that* big a deal. It's still absurd to compare him to the progeny of someone like Meryl or Judy.

by Anonymousreply 69September 21, 2024 1:05 AM

Who honestly thinks this tub o’ lard would have gotten a modeling contract if her mother wasn’t Madonna??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 21, 2024 1:08 AM

ANY connection you have in Hollywood makes a difference.

Even a drug connection.

by Anonymousreply 71September 21, 2024 1:08 AM

Madonna’s ugly spawn is on there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 21, 2024 1:18 AM

Thank god they didn’t give us a photo of that fat troll Lola.

by Anonymousreply 73September 21, 2024 1:19 AM

[quote] Dakota Johnson can be placed in starring roles.

If you can’t find a lifeless, dead-eyed mannequin , sure.

by Anonymousreply 74September 21, 2024 1:41 AM

[quote] Should we be trashing Margaret Qualley more?

Yes. Now leave me alone.

by Anonymousreply 75September 21, 2024 1:42 AM

I think Qualley has chops.

We'll see how it pans out.

by Anonymousreply 76September 21, 2024 1:44 AM

Am I in there? I’m an actoress. Reading is hard.

by Anonymousreply 77September 21, 2024 1:44 AM

What a wonderful resource! I don’t even need to hire a casting director anymore.

Thanks, OP!

by Anonymousreply 78September 21, 2024 1:46 AM

Slight advantages can go a long way in Hollywood

One extra vote could mean someone gets an Oscar and the others go home empty handed

by Anonymousreply 79September 21, 2024 2:04 AM

It's surprising that there are so many posters who don't seem to know how connections work.

I'm going to use Timothee Chalamet as an example, as this is all verified info. His uncle directed movies like The Unborn and Leprechaun 2. So you'd think with that kind of career, no pull. And yet, Conan O'Brien on his podcast has said that he first met Chalamet was at various industry parties where his uncle brought Chalamet as a guest and was introducing him around to everyone and getting his name out there.

So star factor is irrelevant. If you have a good enough relationship with people that you can the right invite or just get a moment to get someone's name in front of the right people, that's all its going to take to give someone an unfair leg up.

by Anonymousreply 80September 21, 2024 3:13 AM

R80: What I don't understand is why Hollywood still wants Kartrashian's clown pet to be the future of the industry. His acting is one-note and mediorce and it doesn't seem to be improving with each film. The only hits he's had are Wonka and Dune and those films just happen to have IP draws in them. The humble intellectual artist thing is clearly a facade as his diva antics have been mentioned on the sets of Bones and All, Wonka, and A Complete Unknown. I mean he gets jobs, magazine covers, and endorsement deals just because teen girls find him non-threatening?

by Anonymousreply 81September 21, 2024 3:34 AM

Yeah I think nepos get a pass or the stigma isn't as strong if they're talented and/or good looking and have a decent personality.

by Anonymousreply 82September 21, 2024 3:39 AM

They dug up the worst possible picture of Emilio Estevez. I'm still laughing.

by Anonymousreply 83September 21, 2024 3:47 AM

r64,, she was actually good in Netflix's "The Decameron", where she plays a completely unlikable character.

by Anonymousreply 84September 21, 2024 4:52 AM

Margaret Qualley was good in that Maid show. Lourdes Leon modeling,..That's a whole other discipline filled with nepo kids. They don't even have the height or build for it!

Again, most of the boomer actor ones were OK to have around. Something's changed. We have a huge cadre of ones in their 20s/30s snatching up roles. OP's site might be better as a definitive list of the truly space wasting nepo kids. It could have clips of their terrible wooden performances. A hall of fame for the truly talentless nepo babies. A definitive list!

by Anonymousreply 85September 21, 2024 2:35 PM

We’re not born on a level playing field.

Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 86September 21, 2024 2:52 PM

This is how we "get over it," R86--by having fun exposing those who benefit from the unlevel playing field. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 87September 21, 2024 2:58 PM

^^ THANK YOU.

by Anonymousreply 88September 21, 2024 3:00 PM

Nah. It’s resentment, not “fun.’

by Anonymousreply 89September 21, 2024 3:02 PM

I have to agree with r84 – I braced myself when she popped up in Decameron, but she was fine. She didn't make me roll my eyes, which is a huge compliment coming from me, because I never saw much in her.

by Anonymousreply 90September 21, 2024 3:03 PM

[quote] she was fine

Wow, R90--you have high standards!

by Anonymousreply 91September 21, 2024 3:10 PM

Nah, R89--it's fun.

by Anonymousreply 92September 21, 2024 3:12 PM

Amazing how many idiots here support nepotism. I guess it's like people who vote Repuglican thinking they, too, will one day be rich like all the Repug assholes they admire.

by Anonymousreply 93September 21, 2024 3:14 PM

resentment is fun lol.

by Anonymousreply 94September 21, 2024 3:21 PM

Like all the Elon fans on twitter. Elon exists so maybe one day I'll be Elon. Or at least Elon will notice me. Slurp slurp slurp.

by Anonymousreply 95September 21, 2024 3:22 PM

That's right, r94. Otherwise why are you here? lol

by Anonymousreply 96September 21, 2024 3:25 PM

[quote] Amazing how many idiots here support nepotism.

There is nothing to “support” or “oppose.” Nepotism in careers is a fact of life in business, in police and firefighting, in trades like plumbing and electric, in politics, in finance and almost any field. People naturally do favors for their friends and that includes their friends’ families. A career in entertainment is not a public resource that must be distributed under neutral principles like government contracts or public jobs.

I’m sure most of the people here who are “opposed” to nepotism in entertainment have taken advantage of personal connections at some point in their lives. The “outrage” is just resentment. Or, as we might say, “Jealous, bitches?”

by Anonymousreply 97September 21, 2024 3:49 PM

Many nepo baby families have PR shill firms working for them. They are regulars around here

It helps their clients' interest to make believe they got to where they are by sheer determination and hard work, even if most of them aren't very far

by Anonymousreply 98September 21, 2024 3:55 PM

Wow, R97 is mansplaining to us that the world isn't fair! No shit. And here is a website having a good time exposing nepotism. Get over it, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 99September 21, 2024 3:57 PM

[quote] It helps their clients' interest to make believe they got to where they are by sheer determination and hard work,

NOBODY thinks that or would say that. Obviously, their connections helped them

Now you are imagining nefarious reasons for people who don’t share your resentments. It’s all part of a plot?

by Anonymousreply 100September 21, 2024 3:59 PM

You apparently have no idea what “mansplaining” means.

by Anonymousreply 101September 21, 2024 4:00 PM

You are clearly angry, not “having a good time.’

by Anonymousreply 102September 21, 2024 4:01 PM

I do, R101, and I'm looking at you and your screed that you posted in stating the obvious.

R100, are you denying the PR machine involved in promoting nepos?

by Anonymousreply 103September 21, 2024 4:02 PM

R101, I'm applying the term mansplain (when a man condescendingly "explains" something to a woman) to highlight your condescending nature.

by Anonymousreply 104September 21, 2024 4:04 PM

Why is the pizza delivery boy caressing the models at Vogue again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 21, 2024 4:05 PM

[quote] are you denying the PR machine involved in promoting nepos?

No, honey. That would be stupid.

I’m denying that I am in PR and I’m denying that anyone in PR any reason to waste their energy denying that someone who is the child of a successful person in the entertainment world had an in. They are not wasting their time on such nonsense because the advantage is obvious and most people are not outraged by it.

by Anonymousreply 106September 21, 2024 4:09 PM

R102, defending nepotism as merely resentment toward (mostly) undeserving advantage. You'd be a great Repug, if you aren't already.

And no, honey R106, most people do object to unfair advantages, even though we all know they exist. And how did poking fun at nepo babies with this website become "outrage"?

by Anonymousreply 107September 21, 2024 4:12 PM

Trust us r106 ain't nobody thinking YOU were in PR

by Anonymousreply 108September 21, 2024 4:13 PM

I’m all for mocking nepotism babies who don’t actually have any talent. The Beckham boy is a perfect example. They generally din’t succeed in any case.

by Anonymousreply 109September 21, 2024 4:14 PM

[quote]Many nepo baby families have PR shill firms working for them. They are regulars around here

Sure sounds like it to me, r108.

by Anonymousreply 110September 21, 2024 4:15 PM

Me, too, R110.

[quote] I’m all for mocking nepotism babies who don’t actually have any talent.

So that would you make you against nepotism 90 percent of the time, I guess, R109.

by Anonymousreply 111September 21, 2024 4:16 PM

No. I don’t believe that. If someone has no talent they will probably fail, regardless of how they got the opportunity, and we will probably never even hear of them.

by Anonymousreply 112September 21, 2024 4:22 PM

R112 apparently has never heard of the term "failing upward."

by Anonymousreply 113September 21, 2024 4:23 PM

R112 might be right.. the truly bad might get sidelined eventually. I don't anyone expects a totally level playing field. You could have nice feelings about people going into their family business in other fields but not here? Maybe it's the social media age where we know so much more about celebrities' lives and their children.

by Anonymousreply 114September 21, 2024 4:29 PM

Somehow, the idea of being a successful plumber has been deemed here the equivalent of being a successful movie actor. They're not equivalent. How many plumbers have PR spokespeople, a few of whom are on this thread defending nepotim and anyone highlighting said nepotism as just a bunch of resentful peasants.

by Anonymousreply 115September 21, 2024 4:29 PM

[quote] Somehow, the idea of being a successful plumber has been deemed here the equivalent of being a successful movie actor. They're not equivalent.

In terms of people with family connections having a leg up? Why not? What’s so special about acting?

by Anonymousreply 116September 21, 2024 4:36 PM

Billie Lourd’s score is only a 5 on that website when it should be a 10, since her father is Bryan Lourd.

by Anonymousreply 117September 21, 2024 4:37 PM

I suppose there are more people who want to be actors who think they are being unfairly denied the stardom they deserve while talentless hacks related to people in the business get opportunities they are denied.

As I said—resentment.

by Anonymousreply 118September 21, 2024 4:38 PM

The section for double nepos really grinds my gears ⚙️

by Anonymousreply 119September 21, 2024 4:39 PM

It's not about acting vs being a plumber, R116. Ask Jamie Leigh Curtis and I think she'd tell you she'd rather be a multimillionaire famous actress than a plumber.

by Anonymousreply 120September 21, 2024 4:40 PM

R118=apologist.

by Anonymousreply 121September 21, 2024 4:40 PM

According to the nepo apologist R118, you must be a failed actor if you object to the very notion of unfair advantage--in other words, you're just a resentful peasant. Spoken like a true shill.

by Anonymousreply 122September 21, 2024 4:44 PM

I didn’t say that, r122. But it does explain the focus on this one particular field when nepotism is all around us.

by Anonymousreply 123September 21, 2024 4:46 PM

R123, you seem not to understand that show business is a particularly lucrartive and attention-grabbing profession in which to luxuriate as a nepo baby, as opposed to say, the nepo baby lawyer/plumber/etc./etc.

by Anonymousreply 124September 21, 2024 4:48 PM

*lucrative

And before anyone says being a lawyer is lucrative, even a lawyer would prefer movie/tv star money.

by Anonymousreply 125September 21, 2024 4:50 PM

It is only lucrative/attention-grabbing and luxurious for those who actually make it.

Is your argument that the rewards of fame as an actor are just too precious for acting opportunities be allocated like every other career opportunity? That doesn’t strike me as a particularly compelling argument.

I don’t agree that successful lawyers would rather be movie stars. There are a lot more people making big money in law than there are movie stars. That sounds suspiciously like the talk of a wannabe actor to me.

by Anonymousreply 126September 21, 2024 4:54 PM

Someone should let George Clooney and Brad Pitt know that they would be happier or just as happy being successful lawyers or plumbers

by Anonymousreply 127September 21, 2024 5:06 PM

That is a ridiculous contortion of my point. You are an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 128September 21, 2024 5:19 PM

No, it's not. R127 is completely correct, you tired Mary apologist.

by Anonymousreply 129September 21, 2024 6:02 PM

In all fairness, some of these non-nepo celebrities are a bit of an annoying mystery as well. For example, everytime I see Sydney Sweeney on screen I go why, why, and why!?

by Anonymousreply 130September 21, 2024 6:34 PM

At least it wouldn't be because of nepotism, R130. I don't know her background.

by Anonymousreply 131September 21, 2024 7:05 PM

[quote] No, it's not. [R127] is completely correct, you tired Mary apologist.

Really? You think saying most lawyers wouldn’t want to be actors means Brad Pitt wants to be a lawyer?

Really?

More than one moron around here.

Not surprising given the topic.

by Anonymousreply 132September 21, 2024 7:10 PM

Oh, it's Mary the nepo apologist at R132, back to blow smoke to deflect from her nepo-cheering ways. Shill, girl, shill!

by Anonymousreply 133September 21, 2024 7:13 PM

I’m not cheering nepos. I’m saying people who are obsessed with the topic are resentful losers.

by Anonymousreply 134September 21, 2024 7:21 PM

Obsession, Mary, R134? Calling it out, that's what it is. And you're a condescending cunt. If we're going to use your terminology, I would say you're just as obsessed. Here you are arguing with us every step oif the way.

by Anonymousreply 135September 21, 2024 7:24 PM

I absolutely am a condescending cunt. Thank you for noticing.

by Anonymousreply 136September 21, 2024 7:25 PM

And thank you for fucking off.

by Anonymousreply 137September 21, 2024 7:26 PM

The comparison to plumbers and lawyers is beyond ridiculous. Lawyers need to qualify. Plumbers need to be actually able to do their job or their business will quickly collapse. Acting, music, modelling, etc, none of these actually require the nepobrat to be good at their work. Even if the project fails, they'll have people explaining how it was someone else's fault. And that's another way they benefit from their connections - someone who will play the political game on their behalf, who will advocate for and excuse them.

[quote] I’m saying people who are obsessed with the topic are resentful losers.

Given the number of posts you have in this thread, that clearly includes you.

by Anonymousreply 138September 21, 2024 7:28 PM

I’m guilty of getting pulled into arguments with people I should ignore.

That doesn’t make me obsessed with nepo-babies.

Why would someone who thinks nepotism is everywhere and no big deal be obsessed with nepo babies?

by Anonymousreply 139September 21, 2024 7:51 PM

You said "people who are obsessed with the topic" - the topic is nepotism, you're clearly obsessed with defending it, therefore you are a "loser". Your own words.

Projection is a bitch, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 140September 21, 2024 7:58 PM

Logic is not your friend.

by Anonymousreply 141September 21, 2024 8:07 PM

[quote] I’m guilty of getting pulled into arguments with people I should ignore.

And yet here you continue to be, R139. You're obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 142September 21, 2024 8:07 PM

No, R141. R140 has that right. Too hard for you to grasp?

by Anonymousreply 143September 21, 2024 8:09 PM

I am guilty of enjoying arguing. But arguing with idiots isn’t much fun, so I’ll leave you to your nepo baby resentment.

by Anonymousreply 144September 21, 2024 8:13 PM

[quote] I am guilty of enjoying arguing.

It's a shame you're not good at it.

Bye, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 145September 21, 2024 8:14 PM

I don't think anyone's obsessed with this topic. It's just fun to think about.

by Anonymousreply 146September 21, 2024 10:02 PM

Plumber, Plumber, Plumber, BUMMER

by Anonymousreply 147September 21, 2024 10:18 PM

I want to open a business called [bold]Eve Plumber

by Anonymousreply 148September 22, 2024 12:53 PM

Judge Judy's new clerk is granddaughter Sarah Rose Levy.

by Anonymousreply 149September 22, 2024 12:57 PM

R119 I think it’s called Nepo Squared or N2 because of the effect

by Anonymousreply 150September 22, 2024 1:01 PM

No one thinks to include every royal monarch in history.

by Anonymousreply 151September 22, 2024 1:01 PM

I was a nepo baby. Not everyone gets Aristotle as his personal tutor.

You wanna make something of it?

by Anonymousreply 152September 22, 2024 1:39 PM

[quote]No one thinks to include every royal monarch in history.

That’s not the same thing. There’s no way to become a monarch other than by birth.

by Anonymousreply 153September 22, 2024 2:19 PM

Monarchies and nepo babies have one thing in common

Society would be better off if both systems were eliminated

by Anonymousreply 154September 22, 2024 3:59 PM

[quote]It's surprising that there are so many posters who don't seem to know how connections work.

Agreed, but not in the way you think. Some of the posters on this thread seem to be clinging to the hackneyed belief that having literally *any* connection in showbiz is a good thing. Others say the same thing about PR: any PR is good PR. Both are bullshit. (See case in point, Springfield Haitians.) What you *don't* see are the literal thousands of celeb spawn who try, and entirely fail, to get anywhere in showbiz.

[quote]I'm going to use Timothee Chalamet as an example, as this is all verified info.

Oh sure, go with arguably THE most successful – and most talented – under-30 male actor living today. While I'd agree that his connections definitely helped, that was only to a certain degree. They landed him his first semi-big role as a teenager, which I still remember since it's where I first saw him: he was a recurring character – the son of the US vice president – on one season of "Homeland." Part of his "advantage" also came solely from being a native New Yorker, where "Homeland" was filmed as well. (How else can you land a role on "Law & Order" at age 13?) Still, he got his big break in CMBYN after graduating from LaGuardia *and* impressing the fuck out of every major NYC theater critic with a string of astoundingly great roles given his relative youth – and, once again, the type of success a NYC native would be by far the most likely to get. (Unlike most Broadway actors, I'm assuming he still lived at home and had parental support with finances.)

My point here would be that Timmy would've likely ended up a star even with zero connections. He got his Broadway roles from auditioning, and nepo status has no correlation to acting ability. (As we've seen from the subpar works of Meryl's spawn.)

I'm not in any way trying to argue that connections don't count. What I am arguing is that one's mere status as a nepo baby *might* help, but 99% of the time – and for 99% of Hollywood progeny – it does not. Finally, where's the line? Meaning the cut-off one: what level of fame is "required" for one's children to quality as nepo babies? Chris Pine, the son of a has-been actor who was admittedly the lead on a long-running network show? Arguably yes. The son of an actor with nothing but a few minor guest star roles under his belt? A considerable stretch.

by Anonymousreply 155September 22, 2024 4:44 PM

[quote] THE most successful – and most talented

Fangirl alert. How successful are his films when there isn't major IP backing him? Tom Holland as Spiderman drew more than Chalamet in Wonka and Dune. And as for most talented...suuuure.

[quote]impressing the fuck out of every major NYC theater critic with a string of astoundingly great roles

He has two theatre credits, one in 2011 and one in 2016. That's not a string. Doesn't say much for your argument that you need to lie to support it.

No-one is getting signed by the agent of the likes of Tilda Swinton, Edward Norton, Richard Gere, Michael Douglas, etc, off the back of a single play, no matter how great the performance, unless something else is going on.

[quote] what level of fame is "required" for one's children to quality as nepo babies?

And you somehow managed to miss the entire point of my post.

by Anonymousreply 156September 22, 2024 5:07 PM

R155, you're really overthinking it. Nepotism isn't at all complicated--it's someone who has their feet firmly planted in their profession, successful and known or very well-known, and getting their kids jobs because of the parents' standing.

[quote] 99% of the time – and for 99% of Hollywood progeny – it does not.

I think that percentage is a little high, unless the offpspring suck so hard at what they're trying to do that they're a laughingstock. Case in point: Sophia Coppola the actress, who, because of her father, was able to parlay her failure as an actress into being a writer/director.

by Anonymousreply 157September 22, 2024 5:20 PM

R156: Brian Swardstrom didn’t “find” Elio. He fucked Elio.

by Anonymousreply 158September 22, 2024 5:24 PM

[quote]Fangirl alert.

Nope. 🙄 Just stating facts. Please feel free to point out any other current twentysomething male actors who've been hired as the lead in multiple tentpole films. (And no, Tom Holland doesn't count. He's only had major success as Spider-Man.) Even Paul Mescal only has one, and it's not even out yet. Or Glen Powell, for that matter, though I know he's not in his 20s.

[quote]How successful are his films when there isn't major IP backing him?

Seriously? We both know he mainly does indie flicks, and CMBYN aside, those rarely perform well in cinemas. While I wouldn't classify "Wonka" as "major" IP, considering it was an entirely original story with no ties to Roald Dahl, it still grossed over $600M, which is extremely high for a non-sequel / non-superhero movie.

[quote]He has two theatre credits, one in 2011 and one in 2016. That's not a string. Doesn't say much for your argument that you need to lie to support it.

Once more, with feeling: seriously? I was including his performances at LaGuardia (since, well, it's LaGuardia), but fine, two non-LaGuardia credits isn't a "string" per se. And "needing to lie to support it"? We define "string" differently. (Drama queen much?)

[quote]And you somehow managed to miss the entire point of my post.

I was writing an addendum to it, actually, but considering you were so plainly triggered by my "misuse" of the word "string," I'll assume you didn't read the rest too closely.

by Anonymousreply 159September 22, 2024 5:38 PM

Read the Stanley Tucci entry on that site and you’ll realize it’s either a joke or an AI hallucination.

by Anonymousreply 160September 22, 2024 6:10 PM

[quote]who've been hired as the lead in multiple tentpole films. (And no, Tom Holland doesn't count. He's only had major success as Spider-Man.)

LOL, just exclude the guys who beat him! Funny, too, that Holland's lack of success outside of IP projects counts, but Chalamet's doesn't.

[quote]I was including his performances at LaGuardia

Really? So you think New York theater critics review LaGuardia's productions, do you?

For someone who claims to not be a fangirl you sure do argue like one.

by Anonymousreply 161September 22, 2024 6:16 PM

[quote]r153 There’s no way to become a monarch other than by birth.

O RLY?

by Anonymousreply 162September 22, 2024 6:41 PM

Honestly anybody can become a celebrity these days. I think it's actually much easier to become a celebrity because of social media, TikTok, and the online news cycle being instant and 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 163September 22, 2024 8:40 PM

R163 speaks truth to power!

(Though fame and notoriety are different…)

by Anonymousreply 164September 22, 2024 9:01 PM

I'm surprised to find out Cooper Koch is a nepo baby.

by Anonymousreply 165September 25, 2024 10:31 PM

R165: It's actually not that surprising. He's given this plum, lead role with little to nothing on his resume and nepo baby lover Ryan Murphy is producing.

by Anonymousreply 166September 25, 2024 10:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!