Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Politicians never seem to have anxiety

Has there ever been someone who broke down on TV or in public.

(If I were Kamala or Walz I'd be a nervous wreck. 2 months ago you had your old job now suddenly you are the focus of the world.)

(and they can't take pills either since the release the presidents medical records, no?)

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2024 6:47 PM

At the end of the day, politicians are performers. Look at singers in concerts with thousands of people. They don't seem nervous or anxious about it. Why? Because practice makes perfect. Unless you have clinical or severe anxiety, it's likely anyone can overcome these types of anxieties with practice and experience. Even the most introvert people.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2024 1:12 AM

Hillary being tossed like a side of beef into the van.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2024 1:12 AM

Well, there are exceptions, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2024 1:15 AM

Almost all of them are narcissists. They thrive on attention and wither without it.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2024 1:17 AM

OP? Look up George McGovern.

His tears led to him dropping out of the VP race.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2024 1:22 AM

Sorry -- [bold]Presidential[/bold] race.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2024 1:25 AM

I suppose in that game one has to have extreme confidence that they are always right in what they do and say, regardless of reality.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2024 1:26 AM

Op you must ain’t see a Mitch McConnell when he cosplayed as Mr. Freeze at a press conference last year.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2024 1:26 AM

I can’t recall seeing a politician sneezing in the middle of a presentation.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2024 1:31 AM

It's the power politicians love too.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2024 1:36 AM

Bill, Monica and I always smoke a joint and a slight line of coke before appearances. We have realized it's the only thing that calms our nerves.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2024 1:40 AM

Yes—it was a terrible day when McGovern dropped out and Eagleton was unanimously approved as the nominee/sacrificial lamb.

R5 😵‍💫

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2024 2:19 AM

But not nearly as tragic, R12, as when John F. Kennedy assassinated President Lee Harvey Oswald.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2024 3:01 AM

I'm sure they do. Well, maybe not Trump since he thinks he's Mr Wonderful. Deluded Donald.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2024 3:07 AM

Benazir Bhutto used to suffer from panic attacks

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2024 3:16 AM

Only antisocial personality types can handle the incredible stress of that job. Many psychopaths and sociopaths aren't sadistic or meanspirited - moreso obsessed with goals and intellectual curiosities. One fundamental trait of psychopaths is extreme reduction in stress and fear response. They are overrepresented in fields like pilots, surgeons, and medical doctors.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2024 3:20 AM

I saw a clip of Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders standing around before one of their debates was about to begin, and they both seemed REALLY nervous. I think the reason you don't see politicians anxious is the same reason you don't see professional stage actors nervous. They are pros who know that the time to vomit is *before* the curtains are drawn, and after that, put on a big smile and act how people want you to act.

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2024 3:20 AM

Budd Dwyer would like a word.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2024 3:20 AM

R5, R6, R12, and R13

It was a snowy day in February, two weeks before the NH primaries, it was the Democratic Presidential primary race in 1972, it involved Ed Muskie, a US Senator from Maine, not George McGovern and if there was any crying it took place in front of the offices of the Manchester Union Leader and the alleged cause of said crying was a forged letter to the editor they printed anyway saying Jane Muskie was a drunk. The letter was written by a Nixon aide of part of the Republican “Dirty Tricks” campaign. Muskie said it was snow melting on his face, btw.

Same year, all different people, and the guilty person was so lame they spelled “Canuck” “Canook,” a dead giveaway as nobody would spell it that way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2024 11:36 AM

People with certain types of anxiety would avoid politics like the plague

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2024 11:44 AM

Have the Republicans given up their attacks on Kamala that she's nervous after that ass whipping she gave Trump?

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2024 12:21 PM

R8 “ must ain’t see”. ???

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2024 12:38 PM

People who have a low tolerance for risk and stress and who are not good on their feet in front of an audience should stay out of politics because no one wants to vote for a stressed out pol who can’t deal with speaking in front of groups or on TV.

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2024 12:43 PM

Deep down, most are narcissistic psychopaths. You would have to have something wrong with you mentally to actively seek out the approval of large swaths of people and think that you, and only you, should be the one in charge.

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2024 4:37 PM

R24 your thinking sounds similar to a great thinker I know currently living under an overpass in a tent.

Do you suggest like him that we should never strive to be in charge of anything since it would be you in charge not others? Or is it just with the govt?

He also suggests that it’s the people’s right to bitch complain whine and cry bout the govt and how badly it does things but they should never try to serve or be involved and in charge trying to actually change anything.

He is writing a book at least during day light hours

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2024 4:49 PM

I don't know for sure but some of Dotard's screed during the debate seemed to be provoked by anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2024 6:38 PM

Just two examples of two old men long past their prime not doing well on debate nights. Less anxiety than just being really old.

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2024 6:42 PM

I think that Jon Ossoff suffers from anxiety, which is why he's had such a low-profile since he was elected. He doesn't look comfortable campaigning or giving interviews.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2024 6:59 PM

It’s because he’s a freshman senator, to be seen and not heard.

Don’t you know anything about how Congress works?

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2024 12:23 AM

Politicians jobs are to sell the voter to those who support the election campaign. They are sales people.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2024 12:50 AM

If City Hall rumors can be believed, Chicago's new mayor Brandon Johnson has been hospitalized at least twice this year for anxiety at Northwestern. Who knew being Chicago's Mayor is not all photo ops and NASCAR drag? It's HARD...

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2024 1:12 AM

didn't Jesse Jackson Jr. leave politics because of anxiety?

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2024 1:28 AM

I have GAzf and panic attacks. It cones and goes. Sometimes I feel really good and confident, other times I feel like a useless bundle of nerves. Good meds help but I don't take them every day. Remember even Kennedy had a Dr. Feelgood. All these people are on the good stuff. Trust me. Or they are Narcissitic sociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2024 1:33 AM

You type crazy, not anxious.

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2024 1:37 AM

Politics seems to require a specific personality type. That’s why I like working in science labs instead!

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2024 8:48 AM

Miss Thang sure choked when asked about gay marriage! Where were her "faith values" when she was sending out pics of her anus to anyone with a penis?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2024 9:32 AM

Not everyone who is good in front of a camera, or comfortable and easy on the spot, or is a great public speaker has a personality disorder. You know that you can practice all those skills, right? And that once you hit the stage, you are in a flow state?

Only when you are ruminating in your own head horribilizing what could happen do you experience anxiety. Panic attack is a little different--that can happen despite feeling relaxed and prepared.

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2024 1:37 PM

[quote]didn't Jesse Jackson Jr. leave politics because of anxiety?

I think the prison sentence helped that along as well...

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2024 6:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!