Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Justin Trudeau's sinking popularity puts him on shaky ground

Despite all his troubles let’s discuss his dreamy good looks and nice ass. Swoon.

In his ninth year as prime minister, Trudeau’s approval rate has plummeted from 63% when he was first elected to 28% in June of this year, according to one poll tracker.

This sinking popularity has already brought consequences to Trudeau’s governing Liberal Party. In a recent by-election, the party lost a Toronto federal seat that it had held for 30 years to the opposition Conservative Party - a major sign of trouble.

On Monday, Trudeau and the Liberals face another set of tests - a crucial by-election in a Liberal stronghold in Montreal, Quebec, and the resumption of parliament, where Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre has vowed to table a motion of no-confidence as early as possible in an attempt to bring down the minority government. If Poilievre is successful, Canadians could head to the ballot box.

And if current polls are any indication on how they might vote, the next federal election may mark the end of the Trudeau era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 26, 2024 6:51 AM

Yeah, the Liberals narrowly lost a Montreal by-election to the Bloc Quebecois early this morning. Bad news for Trudeau. The only good news is that the Liberals finished ahead of the NDP who finished 3rd.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2024 7:01 AM

He should have left in 2022 or 23. Now he's outstayed his welcome and go out with a big defeat.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2024 8:15 AM

Why does everyone hate him?

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2024 8:41 AM

I doubt that his current unpopularity has anything to do with something he has done or not done. It has more to do with human nature and people getting tired of hearing the same voice or seeing the same face on TV for years on end. It is said that a lifespan of a symphony conductor is only 10 years with the same orchestra. No matter how good he is, the symphony members tire of him after 10 years and want him to be gone. I think this is a similar phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2024 8:45 AM

Canada needs to set term limits for its politicians. 9 years in power is enough for anyone, right or left.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2024 9:54 AM

Reminds me a bit of Thatcher. At the 10 year mark her husband told her to go out on a high when her approval ratings were still good. She couldn't let go and was booted out a year later. Now one of the enduring memories of her premiership is her leaving Downing Street in tears after how own party kicked her out. I think 3 elections is the most the public want a leader to hang around for in a proper democracy. Pushing for a 4th usually results in people tiring of you, no matter how popular you once were.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2024 11:17 AM

It's tough for any leader (left or right) during periods of high inflation (it's why Trump is still competitive despite being insane).

Trudeau needs to resign and let someone else take over - might stem the bleeding and save some Liberals at the next election.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2024 11:29 AM

When his wife left him might have been a natural time to leave for the requisite “personal reasons”.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2024 11:33 AM

But this underperforming child of privilege, who shamelessly rose to prominence by using his father's prestige and grandiloquent proclamations that were as pompous as they are empty, is handsome and young and tall and smiles a lot, not to mention that he talks about racism and equality! The fact that he is corrupt, dishonest, intellectually mediocre, devoid of talent, has shown radical totalitarian leanings, has mismanaged the economy, is a US lackey who has tied Canada's future to the collapsing fortunes of the US empire and is a puppet of the WEF and its neo-fascist overlords, doesn't matter at all: he is sexy and claims to be a Leftie (oh, my sides!), and that is all we need to worship him, which is his one and only objective.

Oh, and before we forget: shame on anyone who disagrees with us! You're a MAGAt! You're a Nazi like the truckers (many of whom are Pakistani immigrants, but that doesn't matter)!

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2024 11:37 AM

WW to infinity, r9.

R3 you have to live here, surrounded by newly imported Indians (who seem to have come out of NO WHERE in the last five years and are really quite something else, even by Canada's permissive cultural standards) to understand why, and clearly you do not.

Read r9 and also be aware that this flunkie POS part time drama teacher let in 1.3 million immigrants, again, mostly Indian, in 2023 alone. Do you have any idea how that's aggravated our (already strained) infrastructure, medicare, housing availability, etc? Canada does not resemble Canada anymore.

And before you call me RACIST, the people who are saying this the loudest are people of South Asian backgrounds WHO ARE CANADIAN FIRST and do not want to be associated with the recent hoards that this evil cunt has brought in. And yes, he truly is evil. I could go on. This is just one example.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2024 1:05 PM

Deranged Trudeau Syndrome. No klan rallies in Alberta today?

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2024 1:10 PM

Right on cue, r11.

Shouldn't you be off somewhere braiding your ass hair?

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2024 1:16 PM

Go suck PePe’s ass, R12.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2024 1:50 PM

[quote] Trudeau needs to resign and let someone else take over - might stem the bleeding and save some Liberals at the next election.

Who is in line to replace him?

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2024 7:41 PM

Mark Carney?

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2024 7:43 PM

Why r5? Canada could end up in a 10 year war or maybe a 10 year development project that on PM wishes to manage. The term limits are the party’s vote of no confidence or the people voting out the party in power.

Their system is fine. If anything the US needs popular vote and the removal of term limits. I’d be just fine with Obama ending his fourth term.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2024 8:05 PM

R3 It's not that the majority of people "hate" him (outside of whole far-right 'Fuck Trudeau' turds), it comes down to the fact that he's been PM for nearly a decade (in the last 40 years no PM has not lasted longer than ten years in office) and people want change. Added to that, his record as PM has been rather lacklustre for someone whose been in power for so long. He came into office in 2015 with the promise of change and reform and the perception is he has accomplished little. Regardless, he's done and there's no route to victory for the liberals while he is leader.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2024 8:11 PM

[quote]And yes, he truly is evil. I could go on. This is just one example.

Damn, if Justin Trudeau is truly evil, R10, what is your opinion of real authoritarian rulers who'd throw you in jail for criticizing them or the government?

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2024 8:30 PM

Legalized weed is the only major societal change that comes to mind, r17. And he got us through through the pandemic. But I don't believe the PCs or the NDP would have handled it differently.

Anyone one else care to weigh in on accomplishments?

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2024 8:42 PM

When Trudeau leaves office he can follow the Obama model. Buy lots of expensive real estate and vacation on David Geffin’s yacht. At the same time, he can give great speeches about hope and equality.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2024 8:50 PM

R2 is correct. Trudeau had an undefeated electoral record and should have gone out on a high note after winning 3 general elections. It's surprising that he thought he could win a 4th consecutive term because no one has done that since his boyhood hero Wilfrid Laurier, and that was over 100 years ago.

I do admire him for defeating Stephen Harper and the Conservatives in 2015, as well as Christian fundie Andrew Scheer in 2019, and Erin O'Toole in 2021. But now Trudeau will have to go away after the next election for a long while before the public wants to see him again.

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2024 7:13 AM

What are these Indians doing that’s so awful and what can be done about them now?

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2024 7:34 AM

I know nothing about Canadian politics. What exactly is it about Trudeau that so many people up there dislike about him?

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2024 8:50 AM

A great ass can only get you so far!

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2024 8:54 AM

R21, are you implying that he’ll go away and then get into politics again?

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2024 11:01 AM

And, R21, Harper has lingered like a bad fart since that time pulling the strings of all those Conservative losers you mention, not to mention PP. When PP wins next year, we’ll effectively have Harper as PM again.

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2024 11:18 AM

It's only logical that after so long as PM, Trudeau's popularity is going to take a hit. It's time for him to move on to something else now.

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2024 11:45 AM

[quote] A great ass can only get you so far!

That is true. To me his ass matters though.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2024 7:01 PM

Since their policies don't affect me whatever they are, I hope and pray Justin, as well as Emmanuel Macron stay in office for years to come. Both of them are the most gorgeous and charming politicians in the world today and I want to look and listen to their French gibberish for as long as I'm able.

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2024 7:12 PM

R25, no I don't mean that Justin will go back into politics -- I just mean that approval ratings for politicians tend to go back up after they have been gone for a while and people begin to let go of their anger. In a few years time when PP has been Prime Minister for a while, he will start to become unpopular and Justin might be more welcomed at political events for his party again.

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2024 6:19 AM

Oh boy, now Rodriguez is leaving and sitting as an independent.

by Anonymousreply 31September 19, 2024 2:47 PM

Pablo is on right now. My god, that man has glorious hair.

by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2024 3:02 PM

R31… and the rest of the story is that he’s doing that to seek leader of Quebec’s Liberal Party.

by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2024 10:29 PM

[quote]Since their policies don't affect me whatever they are, I hope and pray Justin, as well as Emmanuel Macron stay in office for years to come.

Honey, they’re goners.

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2024 11:32 PM

Emmanuel will be lucky to not get guillotined at this point.

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2024 11:33 PM

Canada has some very large problems that his government either caused, exacerbated or didn't work to fix.

Canada used to bring 300k immigrants a year, which everyone was fine with it. Today's it's a million, and not done in any sort of organized way. That includes huge numbers of international students going to sham "colleges."

This has simultaneously depressed wages given hundreds of thousands of new low wage workers, and increased costs given they still need to buy things.

This has led to year-over-year declines in per capita GDP, to say nothing of huge stresses on housing, infrastructure and the already challenged health care system.

I could go on . . .

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2024 11:46 PM

The housing crisis is the worst problem and increased immigration is a major factor. We can blame our mayors and provincial premiers, and they deserve it, but solving it requires a national program with CMHC like post WWII.

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2024 11:53 PM

And notice neither the NDP nor the BQ will be supporting the PC's next non-confidence.

On a personal note, i have a soft spot for Yves Francois Blanchet. When he wears his glasses he looks like my handsome husband.

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2024 12:06 AM

He's the most fuckable of all the leaders, R38.

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2024 12:10 AM

[quote] Canada’s Justin Trudeau Responds To Internet Haters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 21, 2024 9:57 PM

He's on Colbert tonight.

by Anonymousreply 41September 24, 2024 3:49 AM

[quote] Pushing for a 4th usually results in people tiring of you, no matter how popular you once were.

On the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 42September 24, 2024 3:55 AM

Preview of Colbert

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 24, 2024 4:01 AM

[quote] Preview of Colbert

Sad that he's wearing a suit jacket thus depriving us of his ass.

by Anonymousreply 44September 24, 2024 4:02 AM

Cute clip of him as a kid leaving the Ottawa premier of "Return of the Jedi" @ 3:20

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 24, 2024 5:57 AM

The media and the cpc sure are mad about his appearance on Colbert.

by Anonymousreply 46September 24, 2024 4:57 PM

Why, r46?

by Anonymousreply 47September 24, 2024 4:57 PM

[quote]When Trudeau leaves office he can follow the Obama model. Buy lots of expensive real estate and vacation on David Geffin’s yacht

No. He needs to do OnlyFans.

by Anonymousreply 48September 24, 2024 5:26 PM

Will he have “an” Onlyfans?

by Anonymousreply 49September 24, 2024 5:32 PM

Because he's deeply unpopular, R47, and there's a lot of issues going on right now. Going on a late night American talk show is seen as Him being tone deaf by conservatives and the media here will fan those flames for days now.

I don't care that he went on Colbert, but he had to have known that it would draw deep criticism, and I don't think he needs more controversy right now.

by Anonymousreply 50September 24, 2024 9:00 PM

His DUI hurt his career

by Anonymousreply 51September 24, 2024 9:01 PM

Canada's Trudeau survives no-confidence vote in parliament

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 25, 2024 11:31 PM

Didn't SNL just rehire this guy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 26, 2024 1:32 AM

The right has been making homophobic jokes about Trudeau for a long time and suggesting that he is gay and in the closet. And some of the right-wing comments about Justin and his teenage son at the Barbie movie last year were just disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 54September 26, 2024 6:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!