Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The uproar around Francis Ford Coppola's ‘Megalopolis’ movie explained

Francis Ford Coppola has never played it safe. He cast a then-shunned Marlon Brando in "The Godfather," filmed his Vietnam-themed epic "Apocalypse Now" in the Philippine jungles during a war and opted to make a movie about a bold automaker, Preston Tucker, who failed.

In so many instances, the filmmaker has put his personal vision first, and the results have ranged from box office flops to cinematic gold ... not to mention five Oscars.

So it comes as no surprise that with his latest movie, "Megalopolis," which made its North American premiere recently at Toronto International Film Festival, Coppola, 85, has once again thrown caution to wind. To finance his sprawling allegorical tale about urban greed, the director has poured $120 million harvested from his successful Napa Valley wine business into the film.

Not that Coppola seems worried. As he told GQ a few years ago as production on "Megalopolis" geared up, studio executives reacted to his new movie the same way they did "when I had won five Oscars and was the hottest film director in town and walked in with ‘Apocalypse Now’ and said, ‘I’d like to make this next.’ ”

"I own ‘Apocalypse Now,'" he said. "Do you know why I own ‘Apocalypse Now’? Because no one else wanted it.”

Here's what you need to know about Coppola's new big-screen opus:

"Megalopolis" is a notable detour for Coppola, whose past movies are rooted in specific eras and in reality. For this film, which he has subtitled "A Fable," the director is off on a futuristic science-fiction tangent while being inspired by the ancient past.

The movie stars Adam Driver as Cesar Catilina, an idealist architect with the power to control time, who is determined to rebuild a city that seems like New York after an accident plunges it into ruins. But Cesar's utopian vision is challenged by corrupt mayor Franklyn Cicero (Giancarlo Esposito), who would rather keep the graft-riddled husk of a city the way it is. Complicating matters is Cicero's daughter Julia (Nathalie Emmanuel), who comes between the two feuding men.

Coppola has been working on the script for four decades, and has taken much of his inspiration from the rise and fall of the Roman Empire (hence the name of Driver's character, Cesar).

Beyond Driver and Esposito, the core cast includes Aubrey Plaza as a TV presenter named Wow Platinum, Shia LaBeouf as Cesar Catalina’s cousin Clodio Pulcher, and Jon Voight as Catalina’s uncle and bank boss, Hamilton Crassus III.

Other notable cast members include Laurence Fishburne − who launched his career at 14 in "Apocalypse Now" − as both the film's narrator and Catalina’s driver. In addition, Coppola’s sister, Talia Shire, perhaps best known for her role as Rocky Balboa's wife in the "Rocky" films, appears as Catalina's mother, while Jason Schwartzman is part of Esposito's corrupt cadre.

"Megalopolis" has had a rocky road to the big screen. After premiering to mixed reviews at Cannes Film Festival last May, it was bought a month later by Lionsgate, which will distribute the film.

Coppola's epic will screen Sept. 23 in select IMAX theaters and be released Sept. 27 in traditional theaters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 1, 2024 11:48 PM

Giancarlo Esposito as the corrupt NYC Mayor and Lawrence Fishburne as the "driver."

Nice way to portray the black characters in the movie.

I'm guessing Coppola is a MAGAT and Trump supporter, as he cast Jon Voight in this movie.

So the way he portrays black people is unsurprising.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2024 5:15 PM

Coppola is decidedly not a MAGAt or a Trump supporter but he may have a soft spot Jon Voight for whatever reason. Kind of like when Jodi Foster cast Mel Gibson in a movie when nobody in Hollywood wanted to touch him with a shitty pole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2024 5:20 PM

Saw the trailer on the big screen. It looks…bad. Nobody wants to see this, and it is going to flop hard. Anything by Lionsgate these days is bad and/or doomed.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2024 1:00 AM

It sounds tedious. I hope I am wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2024 1:13 AM

It looks very promising to me. I intend on seeing it at the movies the first week of release.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2024 1:27 AM

Laurence Fishburne was in [italic]Apocalypse Now[/italic], so that was probably a nostalgia hire, though I think he's quite good.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2024 1:40 AM

Coppola has pattern of one or two idiosyncratic cast members in his films.

Troy Donahue in GF II, George Hamilton in GF III, Nicholas Cage in "Peggy Sue Got Married", just off the top of my head.

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2024 2:36 AM

Saw it last night and quite enjoyed it.

Definitely not pro-MAGA. LaBoeuf plays a Trumpian character and his followers wear red hats and carry signs that read Make Rome Great Again. He is eventually proven a fraud and strung up by said followers who toss their signs/hats at him.

Visually it is a beautiful film. I may see it again just for the visuals.

I don't think it will do too well. Just me and one other guy in the 6pm showing.

by Anonymousreply 8September 27, 2024 12:02 PM

[quote]Laurence Fishburne was in Apocalypse Now, so that was probably a nostalgia hire.

I'm going to go with Fish as Pee Wee's Cowboy Curtis for the rehire.

by Anonymousreply 9September 27, 2024 12:20 PM

I'm honestly shocked Gaga didn't try and weasel her way into this.

by Anonymousreply 10September 27, 2024 1:06 PM

R8 that sounds too on the nose.

by Anonymousreply 11September 27, 2024 1:11 PM

Is it long enough?

by Anonymousreply 12September 27, 2024 2:24 PM

[quote]Giancarlo Esposito as the corrupt NYC Mayor

Good casting choice.

by Anonymousreply 13September 27, 2024 2:56 PM

Did the dearly beloved dame Maggie smith get to view it?

by Anonymousreply 14September 27, 2024 3:17 PM

She’s on a cloud watching it right now, r14, and looks bored

by Anonymousreply 15September 27, 2024 3:29 PM

Jon Voight is a psycho, but he’s a very good actor. I’d hire him in condition that he keeps his mouth shout after reading his lines.

by Anonymousreply 16September 27, 2024 3:40 PM

The reviews run the gamut from masterpiece to complete pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 17September 27, 2024 7:31 PM

This is a bit odd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 28, 2024 12:32 AM

Exclusive clip from Francis Ford Coppola’s ‘MEGALOPOLIS’.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 28, 2024 3:05 PM

Coppola's a legend obviously but when I look at his filmography, his movies of the last 30 years are not ringing a lot of bells. Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 20September 28, 2024 3:07 PM

Coppola is not a visionary filmmaker, and he hasn't made an interesting film for three decades

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 28, 2024 3:08 PM

Adam Driver doesn’t look as ugly as usual with his hair cut.

by Anonymousreply 22September 28, 2024 3:23 PM

I refuse to see anything starring Adam Driver.

You don't have to be beautiful to have a talent for acting, but this guy is taking it too far.

by Anonymousreply 23September 28, 2024 6:11 PM

Megaflopolis

by Anonymousreply 24September 28, 2024 6:13 PM

Question for someone who has seen it—do Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman share any screen time?

by Anonymousreply 25September 28, 2024 6:30 PM

I will only watch Dustin Hoffman now if he removed the wig.

by Anonymousreply 26September 28, 2024 6:34 PM

[quote]Question for someone who has seen it—do Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman share any screen time?

If I recall correctly, yes; two brief scenes.

[quote]Visually it is a beautiful film. I may see it again just for the visuals.

The scene where Driver and Fishbourne drive through the dilapidated area of town and the statues were alive was my favorite part.

by Anonymousreply 27September 28, 2024 7:35 PM

What a waste of everyone’s time and his money. Typical rich Hollywood narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 28September 28, 2024 7:49 PM

Most of it was his own money R28, so he can do whatever he wants with it.

by Anonymousreply 29September 28, 2024 7:52 PM

There was one other person in the theater when we saw it, and it amuses me to think he was the actor, who took one look at the audience of two eldergays and decided not to bother.

by Anonymousreply 30September 28, 2024 7:56 PM

Going tonight... going to eat a gummy. A high dose gummy.

by Anonymousreply 31September 28, 2024 11:13 PM

I wouldn't invest one penny on Adam Driver's ugly face.

by Anonymousreply 32September 28, 2024 11:16 PM

I will always support big creative swings. It might not be great, but I can't imagine that it isn't interesting.

by Anonymousreply 33September 28, 2024 11:21 PM

No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 34September 28, 2024 11:23 PM

God, the dialogue in that scene that R19 posted was so bad. It's shockingly amateur from a filmmaker who won multiple Oscars for screenwriting.

by Anonymousreply 35September 28, 2024 11:29 PM

Jesus, man, R35, Coppola is 85 Fucking years old now. Give him a break!

by Anonymousreply 36September 29, 2024 12:59 AM

Flop!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 29, 2024 10:31 PM

Sorry, but Jon Voight is a deal killer. Not supporting MAGA trash.

by Anonymousreply 38September 29, 2024 10:41 PM

Audrey Plaza as Wow Platinum

by Anonymousreply 39October 1, 2024 12:41 PM

R1 is an insane racist.

by Anonymousreply 40October 1, 2024 1:11 PM

To me, Coppola is one of those directors (and there were many of them in the classic period) who needs the structure of a studio and a strong producer to do his best work, to talk him out of his loonier ideas, and insist his stories have a through-line and are intelligible.

He too often gets side-tracked with tricky camerawork and visual gimmicks which hark back to silent films, and call attention to the artifice of movie-making, and these visual ideas aren’t organic, they have nothing to do with the content of the film or the story being told.

I think “Apocalypse Now” is a (mostly) terrific movie, and he uses that as an example of how he can make a fine film on his own, without creative interference but that is an outlier. Too many of his movies are a mess, often poorly cast, full of interesting but muddled ideas.

He lacks discipline and critical thinking and should be directing opera, not movies.

by Anonymousreply 41October 1, 2024 1:42 PM

I was high for it R41 and just thought of it as an opera and just went with it!

by Anonymousreply 42October 1, 2024 4:36 PM

My friend and I just laughed our way through it. We couldn't believe what we were watching, it was so bad. There were only 2 other people in the whole theater, laughing at the same scenes

by Anonymousreply 43October 1, 2024 4:43 PM

Another flop for Adam Driver.

by Anonymousreply 44October 1, 2024 4:47 PM

Saw it today. Maybe 15 in the audience. Two people left at different times, my hunch being they were leaving out of sheer boredom. I would have let too, but it was pouring rain all afternoon so I figured it was better than getting drenched.

by Anonymousreply 45October 1, 2024 9:32 PM

Judith Crist is alive and well at R45

by Anonymousreply 46October 1, 2024 11:29 PM

R45 - that should be the movie's tag line. "Megalopolis - better than getting drenched!"

by Anonymousreply 47October 1, 2024 11:38 PM

i skimmed through some of his interviews regarding the philosophical inspirations - he's so delusional it was too cringe i couldn't watch

by Anonymousreply 48October 1, 2024 11:39 PM

The original title was "Mediapolis"- but we stopped that.

by Anonymousreply 49October 1, 2024 11:42 PM

[quote] Giancarlo Esposito as the corrupt NYC Mayor and Lawrence Fishburne as the "driver."

[quote] Nice way to portray the black characters in the movie.

Maybe the other characters are just as corrupt. Personally, I'll be fine seeing a movie where not every black character is either a victim or an unblemished hero.

by Anonymousreply 50October 1, 2024 11:43 PM

^or never in sloppy attire or always has a snappy/clever comeback.

by Anonymousreply 51October 1, 2024 11:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!