Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York Times reader asks for permission to discriminate against her single friend - FUCK THIS BITCH!

Reader writes to the Times' Social Q's page: "My best friend has naturally been involved in planning my wedding. My fiancé and I intended to marry on the East Coast, but our guest list quickly ballooned to 350 people. So, we opted for a smaller destination wedding of 200 people in his home country. (It’s an eight-hour flight.) The issue: When I told my friend that we still had to cut longtime acquaintances from the list, she replied that she intended to bring one as her plus one. I told her she doesn’t have a plus one (our rule is “living together or with a ring, you can bring”), but there will be plenty of single friends there. This went over like a lead balloon. Am I wrong?"

Times replies: "It’s your wedding, so you and your fiancé can create the guest list you want (and can afford). And there is nothing wrong with setting a threshold for plus ones at cohabitation or engagement. Still, there may be room for limited exceptions here.

I imagine you speak to your best friend far more often than you do to most of your 200 guests, for instance. And an even smaller number of them is actually helping you plan the wedding. These factors don’t mean you have to make an exception for her, but they’re worth considering. (I also suspect that fewer people will fly eight hours for your big day than you currently imagine.)"

My reply: WRONG ANSWER TIMES! AND FUCK OFF NEARLY-MARRIED BITCH! Why do single people gotta go to weddings alone? Why can't they have a friend who can keep them company when conversation at the "single table" turns south? Only relationship-people can have a "get out of jail free" card for every dumb encounter at a wedding? Also, since when did the Times turn into JD Vance, not defending single cat people!!! Sometimes the only good thing about a relationship is that HE has to come to the wedding with me and keep me company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2024 10:57 PM

You lost me a "wedding."

I no longer "do" those.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2024 9:58 PM

Marriage and monogamy are fantasies

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2024 10:00 PM

OP - You DONT KNOW HOW TO READ between the lines. The Times authoress has SHADED this stupid bridezilla and her dumb destination wedding, but used kid gloves and indirect tactics. There are SEVERAL insults in the reply. You're too dumb to pick up on them.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2024 10:10 PM

R3 - you are overestimating the Times

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2024 10:14 PM

No I'm not. The reply is dripping with derision, to those who can read.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2024 10:15 PM

[quote] Why do single people gotta go to weddings alone?

Because space is limited and weddings are expensive.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2024 10:19 PM

She’ll be lucky to get 40 people to fly 8 hours for a destination wedding.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2024 10:40 PM

She left off the fact that the "destination" for the wedding is Darfur.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2024 10:43 PM

more like BARFur

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2024 10:46 PM

Delusional. I won’t go to a wedding that’s more than an hour’s drive.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2024 10:48 PM

If OP lives like she posts, I can't imagine the effort it would take to come up with a plus one.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2024 10:50 PM

R3 is correct, and OP is being *very* bizarrely triggered. (Which I also say having been single most of my life.)

[quote]Why do single people gotta go to weddings alone? Why can't they have a friend who can keep them company when conversation at the "single table" turns south?

Why do you have to project your own social anxiety problems onto others? I've been to at least a dozen weddings solo, and had a fantastic time at each of them. If it's a wedding I don't think I'll like, I don't go. Yes, it's really that simple, at least for non-family weddings. Don't like 'em? Don't go. (And quit bitching about people who actually *like* weddings, including destination weddings. Within reason.)

All that said: having read between R3's lines, I can clearly see that this bridezilla is a self-centered cunt. I get having a destination wedding. I also get having one in the country where one of the two spouses is from. I'm getting a conniption fit, however, at the thought that this bridezilla seriously *thinks* she'll get 200 of her 350 "more desirable guests" to fly eight fucking hours. The stealthily catty Philip Galanes conveyed his distaste with this idea here: "I also suspect that fewer people will fly eight hours for your big day than you currently imagine."

I wouldn't go to the wedding, but only because I'd never be friends with someone this ridiculous in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2024 10:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!