Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends...how big is too big?

The former home of Kenny Rogers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2024 1:54 PM

Avoid this shitty link.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2024 3:27 AM

I like the house Affleck bought although I could do without the stables.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2024 3:28 AM

THAT big.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2024 3:40 AM

[quote]Rogers shot to fame with a long string of country and crossover adult contemporary and pop hits in the'70s, '80s and even into the '90s that included "Lucille," "The Gambler," "Lady," "You Decorated My Life" and a collaboration with Dolly Parton titled "Islands in the Stream" in 1981 that was a game-changer for both of them, propelling them from country success into mainstream superstardom.

Who did the research ?

The Dolly duet was in 1983, not 1981.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2024 3:44 AM

No such thing as "too big".

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2024 3:45 AM

I’ll stick around because it’s bigger than big.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2024 3:47 AM

[quote] No such thing as "too big".

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you: Mr. Jon Hamm!

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2024 3:51 AM

^^^ What a man, what a man, what a mighty BIG man

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2024 4:46 AM

Proves money can’t buy taste.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2024 5:12 AM

He has my Ethan Allen chaise - a very uncomfortable mistake I made in 2005. I unloaded it on a cousin who liked it.

I understand there’s a lot of square footage to cover, but the furniture is consumer grade at best. I want to smack the idiots who chose the lighting scheme. And, why is the office so fucking depressing? Oversized crap shoved against oversized crap.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2024 5:46 AM

A whole lot of rooms with an overdone ornate ceiling and a grouping of furniture in the middle. It’s fucking cold and lifeless.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2024 6:41 AM

Everything about Rogers' properties is just far too much. Nothing is normal, everything is grotesquely overdone which makes it all very tacky and tasteless. They all look like places someone who was poor as a church mouse would buy if he won a huge lottery payout. They're a poor man's idea of class.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2024 11:49 AM

Kenny was poor country so I figured his taste might not be that great

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2024 12:32 PM

It's a little dull

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2024 1:34 PM

You're dull, Trump. Wish my rifle was sharper and faster

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2024 2:47 AM

I’ve seen much bigger things, especially when I look down my blouse.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2024 5:24 AM

By “Islands in the Stream” in 1983 Kenny and Dolly had crossed-over from Country music to broader careers for years at that point. Dolly when she appeared in 9 to 5 in 1980 and Kenny’s hits as far back as 1978 with The Gambler and She Believes in Me. Geez, who writes these things?

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2024 6:02 AM

[quote] It’s fucking cold and lifeless.

Just like Kenny Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2024 11:45 AM

Where's the Chicken Broiler room?

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2024 11:46 AM

That house is Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood for the 1% kiddies.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2024 11:47 AM

Vacuum and dusting day must be a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2024 2:09 PM

"Castles" for hicks who have never seen castles.

Years ago he was a neighbor a couple of houses away from friends of mine who lived on a lake north of Memphis. His house as not conspicuously larger than the other large houses on the lake, nor flashier. He gave a cheery wave as we kayaked by, as neighbors do. Pleasant and unassuming was the neighbors' consensus.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2024 2:40 PM

These kinds of "residences" are not homes at all. They're just places for some uber rich person to occasionally sleep at for a relatively short time until they can sell it for a profit. Personally I can't fathom how anyone could ever feel 'at home' in a place like that.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2024 2:45 PM

I can take anything up to a traffic pylon. All the way down to street level.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2024 2:58 PM

I'm so old that I can remember watching him on the 'Mike Douglas Show' with his group (The Association?), and he was dressed in hippie garb.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2024 3:35 PM

The facade looks like something from Disney World.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2024 4:27 PM

He had another estate on Garmon Rd. in Buckhead that he sold for $8.5 million in 2006. Rogers sold the mansion to Adeyinka "Yinka" Adesokan and Dr. Paula Nelson, who were later fined for double billing patients of Family Dermatology. They couldn't afford to keep it up and eventually turned the place into a massive party property. The city eventually shut them down. In 2019, they pled guilty to charges associated with running illegal events and one or both were forced to spend time in jail and pay several thousands of dollars in fines. After that they fled the country and the house sat abandoned for years. It went back on the market in April of 2023 and sole in May for a bargain basement price of $3.7 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2024 5:28 PM

He had to pay his 4th wife, Marianne Gordon of Athens, Ga. $40 million for a divorce in 1993. That was back when he was caught having women call him on his own private 800 number for phone sex.

Marianne moved back to Athens after the divorce and still lives there today (she's 78), and from what I've been told lives the life of a queen. $40 million goes a long way in Athens.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2024 5:37 PM

R25. It was The First Edition.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2024 5:57 PM

I can't remember where I heard this story, but it's my favorite about Mr. Kenny:

The storyteller was in a fancy hotel and stepped into the elevator to find himself alone with Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. He excitedly tells them both how much he enjoys their work and that he's a big fan. Rogers rolls his eyes and looks away but Parton gushes with gratitude and apologizes (!) for Rogers saying he hadn't had his morning coffee yet.

Not sure if that's true, but it sure does sound plausible.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2024 11:53 AM

Big houses = tax shelters. It works for the Rogers & Partons but can screw a flash in the pan celebrity when the flash (reads Money) is gone.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2024 12:12 PM

I can’t imagine having such a needy ego that I would want a huge house that I don’t need for a huge family, just to impress myself and others. If I had that kind of money, I’d buy a small (relatively )but beautifully designed house in a spectacular location.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2024 12:54 PM

Buying a nice big house is one thing. Getting a monstrous ostentatious house with wings more rooms than you can ever properly occupy is just an absurdity.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2024 1:08 PM

It’s the sort of property that seems like its entire purpose is to be photographed in excessive detail for the readership of Country Living magazine.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2024 1:12 PM

Where did I put my damn glasses?

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2024 1:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!