Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Andy Williams Trying To Out Lesley Gore

At about 3:00. Disgusting, smarmy prick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 19, 2024 9:30 PM

She should have said, "I'm going to Sarah Lawrence to get so much pussy I'm shitting clit!"

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2024 3:13 PM

Even as a little kid I hated him, and didn’t have strong opinions about much. Well, Aubergine was the prettiest color in the crayola box. So there’s two things I was certain about.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2024 3:21 PM

I shot the wrong guy.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2024 3:22 PM

[quote]Well, Aubergine was the prettiest color in the Crayola box.

I like blue bestest.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2024 3:26 PM

I always hated those corny dialogues and duets between young women and men old enough to be their fathers. Poor Lesley, she must have been mortified. She was too intelligent for dross like this.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2024 3:38 PM

I don't understand the line of questioning - there were TONS of separate women's colleges back then. Many of the Ivies had separate schools for women - Radcliffe, Pembroke, Barnard - because Harvard, Brown and Columbia were men only. Columbia only went co-ed in 1987!!

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2024 3:50 PM

It was apparently an open secret in showbiz that she was a lesbian. Some men will always be so insecure that they need to humiliate women they can’t have. Dusty Springfield had similar trouble.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2024 3:55 PM

Sounds scripted to me.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2024 4:03 PM

If there is a hell, he’s there.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2024 4:06 PM

R7 - I'm pretty sure Lesley Gore was not an out lesbian at 19 in the mid 60's. You could be arrested - seriously - and sent to a mental institution.

She came out publicly in the early 2000's, after being partnered for over 20 years.

I think OP is reading way too much into this.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2024 4:25 PM

I also think OP is overreacting about this. But it's kind of embarrassing when Williams announces that they're about to sing the love theme from DR. ZHIVAGO, and he pronounces it "Laura's Theme." (It's actually Lara's Theme.)

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2024 4:30 PM

[quote] But it's kind of embarrassing when Williams announces that they're about to sing the love theme from DR. ZHIVAGO, and he pronounces it "Laura's Theme." (It's actually Lara's Theme.)

I could simply die from shame!

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2024 4:33 PM

Be a sarcastic bitch all you want, R12. The film of DR. ZHIVAGO was a huge hit, based on a novel that was a best seller. Even people who hadn't read the book or seen the movie knew the story was set in Russia, and probably knew the main characters' names. So to pronounce "Lara's Theme" as "Laura's Theme" made Andy Williams look really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2024 4:39 PM

He was "buried" here, you know.

Meaning his ashes were dumped in the water.

Here at 4.00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2024 4:41 PM

I am more offended by his assumption only ugly young women go to women's colleges.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2024 5:02 PM

Wasn’t he nose picker Ethel Kennedy’s boyfriend in the 70s?

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2024 5:06 PM

If you people can't tell that that whole exchange was scripted, I can't help you. It as all very actor-y down to her retorts. It was probably an in joke and she was trying to out herself.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2024 5:28 PM

Somebody scripted her trying to out herself? May have been scripted, but that doesnt make it less disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2024 3:08 AM

The choreographer must have hated her. ok, now I want you to walk backwards up these steps. In heels?!

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2024 4:01 AM

[quote] [R7] - I'm pretty sure Lesley Gore was not an out lesbian at 19 in the mid 60's. You could be arrested - seriously - and sent to a mental institution.

I think it was kind of an open secret. Like Johnny Mathis or Johnnie Ray.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2024 4:52 AM

She looks like she's wearing a maid's outfit

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2024 5:05 AM

Her voice was rather ordinary, not much range. But she was on so many shows you'd think she was the next Streisand. By the late-60s she was ovah.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2024 5:12 AM

She was cute and her voice was cute. Not really a fan of her songs, but she did well for herself. She pings from space and I think I knew that even back then. Andy Williams seemed to be on tv constantly without having any particular talent or attractive qualities. One of the few people that my entire family could agree on: none of us liked him.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2024 5:30 AM

"Andy, at Sarah Lawrence I'm getting more pussy than you could ever dream of!"

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2024 5:33 AM

Oh no! Poor dykes. Getting just a fraction of the hate that gay men usually receive!

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2024 5:35 AM

I love Andy. He reminds me of Christmas as my parents would play his Christmas album while we sat in front of the fire.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2024 5:42 AM

You know they've both been dead for years, right?

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2024 5:51 AM

R23, You and your family seem to have been in the minority.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2024 6:17 AM

Re: Lesley Gore.

No, it was not "known," r20. No, you did not so "know," r23. We're talking about a teen-ager whose first hit was at age 16. What WAS well-known was that LG was a rich girl from Jersey.

I saw her in concert in 2010, and she was great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2024 6:24 AM

[quote]What WAS well-known was that LG was a rich girl from Jersey.

Gore was born Lesley Sue Goldstein in Brooklyn, New York City, into a middle-class Jewish family. The daughter of Leo Goldstein and Ronny Gore, her family changed their surname to "Gore" soon after her birth.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2024 11:24 AM

It's her party, and she'll cry if she wants to.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2024 11:32 AM

These old videos are interesting to watch for the period production values, sets, costumes, and the dance moves.

The scripted humor is goofy, but generally innocuous.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2024 11:43 AM

Well, r30, before computers and thus Wikipedia, r29 is what her fans were told and therefore believed and "knew."

My post is in that context.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2024 12:39 PM

For those debating whether Gore's sexuality was an open secret, she's said before that she knew by college and "I just kind of lived my life naturally and did what I wanted to do. I didn’t avoid anything, I didn’t put it in anybody’s face."

It was enough of an open secret that Bridget Fonda played a lesbian teen idol based on Gore in the 1996 film "Grace of My Heart." Here she is recording a coded love song to her girlfriend, "My Secret Love." It was cowritten by Gore herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2024 12:52 PM

R34, A 1996 movie? Ever heard of an "anachronism"? I am telling you, as a teen listening to Lesley Gore when SHE was a teen, that nobody in my generation thought she was a lesbian ("gay" wasn't a term).

"....a question nobody had really thought to ask in 1963...."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2024 1:01 PM

R35, that's the whole point. Her friends and close colleagues knew but the listening public didn't.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2024 1:02 PM

What shitty confusing times when you had to fucking guess who was gay. So so sad.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2024 1:13 PM

R6 NAILED IT

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2024 1:46 PM

R10, sorry to disappoint you but Lesley was a good star lesbian all her life. She didn’t go to gay bars or talk about it - you didn’t have to. She wasn’t out, nobody was, but it could have easily been an open secret in show business like it was with dozens of stars.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2024 1:52 PM

Listeners didn't know Johnny Mathis was gay in the 50s or 60s, either. Everyone in the industry knew. Natalie Cole's older sister repeatedly begged her father (Nat King Cole) to set her up with Johnny Mathis. Finally fed up, Nat gently explained to his daughter how sometimes the man goes up inside the other man. A jealous Frank Sinatra used to call Johnny "The African Queen" behind his back.

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2024 2:06 PM

Perhaps Andy Williams was trying to turn Lesley straight by suggesting she ought to seek out that rare co-ed college, ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2024 2:28 PM

I've been a Lesley Gore fan since 1963, and until she came out, it never occurred to me that she would have preferred Judy to Johnny.

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2024 2:33 PM

I literally and figuratively laughed out loud and chuckled to myself when I learned that her feminist anthem 'You Don't Own Me' was written by (wait for it) a couple of guys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2024 3:37 PM

R42, that’s because you believe in stereotypes

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2024 5:50 PM

R30 more of the story

Gore was born Lesley Sue Goldstein in Brooklyn, New York City into a middle-class Jewish family.

The daughter of Leo Goldstein and Ronny Gore, her family changed their surname to "Gore" soon after her birth.

Her father was the owner of Peter Pan, a children's swimwear and underwear manufacturer and later became a leading brand licensing agent in the apparel industry.

She was raised in Tenafly, New Jersey and attended the Dwight School for Girls in nearby Englewood.

She also attended Sarah Lawrence College, graduating with a degree in American literature.

by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2024 10:57 PM

Lies. Les was ALL woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2024 1:07 AM

[Quote] What shitty confusing times when you had to fucking guess who was gay. So so sad.

Yes, R37 it certainly was

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2024 1:20 AM

He was just being smarmy. It was obviously scripted though. Her dress was the real insult. Stylish young women did not dress like that in 1966. Maybe 1956.

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2024 1:30 AM

Asshole, I hope he dies soon.

Oh, wait…

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2024 2:05 AM

He had his hand on her waist long enough, she should have clobbered him.

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2024 2:15 AM

WOW! Frau!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2024 5:06 AM

What a couple of creepy looking motherfuckers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2024 5:31 AM

Doesn't anyone remember that Andy Williams asked Stevie Wonder at the 1976 Grammys, "Can you see me?", which ended his job hosting the Grammys.

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2024 5:48 AM

Odd but failrly demanding production of Lollipops, for such a dumbass tv show. She pulled it off - not that she was really singing - and segued cleanly into banter with smarm-king Williams. Even with him smirking and touching her. Impressive.

by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2024 6:45 AM

Moon River

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2024 6:55 AM

Lesley Gore's sexual orientation was not on anybody's radar in the mid 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2024 7:05 AM

Wow r53 I was just about to post this. I remember that too. Stevie was either performing or accepting his award via satellite and they were having problems with the video feed. Then Andy asked that tone deaf question…my parents were pissed.

Mom hated Claudine Longet too - thought that she was a useless gold digger.

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2024 10:30 AM

Everyone at the diner party crowded around the set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 19, 2024 9:10 AM

That was awkwardly scripted, but so of its time. And I think the whole point was to let everyone know that Andy was a pussy hound (I know why I'd go to a girls school), then to out Lesley. I liked him a lot but then I read two passages in his autobiography where he talked about his erections. Normally that wouldn't bother me at all. But hearing it from him was a real turn off for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 59September 19, 2024 9:23 AM

Williams looked like a compact, attractive guy with a lot of talent and charisma. His recording career was a long one. He was a big Democratic supporter, too. I wouldn’t have minded his life.

by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2024 2:15 PM

Williams was a Tea Party Republican by the end of his life. He called Obama a Marxist and appeared on Glenn Beck’s show.

by Anonymousreply 61September 19, 2024 2:52 PM

R60, Williams was a registered Republican (his words). He was only friendly with the Kennedys because he liked Bobby Sr personally. That figures, R61.

by Anonymousreply 62September 19, 2024 4:12 PM

R61 R62 scholars of ancient trivial history

by Anonymousreply 63September 19, 2024 9:28 PM

Wasn't there some shady shit with his wife and him in the 70's?

by Anonymousreply 64September 19, 2024 9:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!