Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Matt Walsh Satire ‘Am I Racist?’ Hits 1,500-Plus Theaters as Ben Shapiro’s Daily Wire Bets Big for Movie Dominance

Every now and then, a low-budget film emerges from outside the studio system and catches fire with the largely ignored right-leaning demographic, leaving mouths agape in Hollywood’s executive suites.

The Daily Wire hopes to add to the list of films that includes “The Passion of the Christ,” “I Can Only Imagine” and last year’s “Sound of Freedom” with the satire “Am I Racist?” — which marks the conservative media company’s first wide theatrical release. Starring comedian Matt Walsh, the “Borat”-style mockumentary takes aim at the DEI movement and is set to open in 1,510 theaters today, representing the most ambitious swing for the 9-year-old company founded by Ben Shapiro and Jeremy Boreing.

“They’re leaving plenty of money on the table, and we’re happy to come in and take some of it. Because, at a minimum, you are explicitly refusing to serve 50% of the audience,” Walsh says of Hollywood’s aversion to red-state sensibilities.

With its provocative conceit, “Am I Racist?” sees Walsh going undercover as a so-called beta male as he explores the world of high-paid DEI consultants, gets his DEI certification and captures wild on-camera interactions with big names in the anti-racist cottage industry — or “grifters, con artists and toxic influences,” as he dubs them — like “White Fragility” author Robin DiAngelo. The result is either hilarious or offensive, depending on which side of the MAGA fence you sit on.

Still, there’s no denying the film’s studio-level production values. In fact, several of the principals hail from traditional Hollywood backgrounds. Producer Dallas Sonnier was a manager who broke the careers of Greta Gerwig and Leslye Headland before fleeing the mainstream industry because of its “politicized nature,” he says. Director Justin Folk worked on the visual effects teams of such films as “The Matrix Reloaded” before bailing to tackle stories “more about the war of ideas and what’s going on in our country,” as he describes it. And Boreing ran Coattails Entertainment with Zachary Levi before teaming up with Shapiro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206September 20, 2024 1:15 AM

And then there's this (MSN link of NY Post Article below):

‘White Fragility’ author slams conservative podcaster Matt Walsh, who duped her into giving black producer reparations in new documentary

“White Fragility” author Robin DiAngelo slammed well-known conservative podcaster Matt Walsh, who posed as an anti-racist activist and duped her into giving a black producer reparations in an upcoming flick that she called a “Borat-style mockumentary.”

DiAngelo vowed in a statement on Thursday not to watch the film she argued is “designed to humiliate and discredit anti-racist educators and activists,” and addressed the uncomfortable scene that played out between her and right-wing personality Matt Walsh in the documentary “Am I Racist?”

Walsh, 38, went undercover when he sat down with DiAngelo and claimed to be interested in anti-racist sentiments before asking his producer, Ben, who is black, to join them.

Walsh, who works at conservative outlet the Daily Wire, convinced her to give Ben some cash in the form of reparations after Walsh also doled out some of his own dough in the awkward moment.

DiAngelo, 68, said in her lengthy statement that when she was contacted by a group about the doc in 2023, it was supposed to be named “Shades of Justice” and about efforts to combat racism in the US.

She was paid $15,000 (that she later donated) to participate, but when she showed up for the interview, “a few things felt off,” including the “ill-fitting wig” Walsh had on as a man bun.

But she said Walsh seemed “earnest” about anti-racist work and his questions were not adversarial until “things got weird” at the end in which she delved into the cringeworthy reparations scene that left DiAngelo visibly bewildered.

“I was so unsettled by the way Matt manipulated this last scene that I emailed the contact person – who went by the name of ‘Lee Hampton’ – to explain that this scene was not an example of reparations and could mislead viewers,” DiAngelo explained.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2024 7:47 PM

[quote]‘White Fragility’ author slams conservative podcaster Matt Walsh, who duped her into giving black producer reparations in new documentary

[quote]She was paid $15,000 (that she later donated) to participate, but when she showed up for the interview, “a few things felt off,” including the “ill-fitting wig” Walsh had on as a man bun.

I'm sorry, but this is pretty hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2024 7:51 PM

Something about him screams gay. He’ll be caught getting blown by a dude in a public bathroom soon.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2024 8:49 PM

OP is a MAGA troll. Go shill for your campaign that's falling apart elsewhere. Like Truth Social.

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2024 8:54 PM

Matt Walsh is a loathsome reactionary and it’s amazing he gets credit for taking on the authoritarian and illiberal ‘progressive’ left and the grifters like DiAngelo.

Where have the centre left been when it comes go this white lady and the others who have gotten rich off racial discourse?

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2024 8:55 PM

Well he has a video arguing slavery wasn’t that bad so that sums up exactly who he is.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2024 8:58 PM

[quote]Well he has a video arguing slavery wasn’t that bad so that sums up exactly who he is.

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2024 9:10 PM

R7. I couldn’t watch it all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2024 9:19 PM

R8 Your link shows nothing.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2024 9:22 PM

Why does right-wing satire always have to be so nasty and malicious at its core? It's "Borat" without any of the sharp edges or charm or ability to challenge the audience and make them think. Actual liberal comedians do a better job of satirizing liberalism than the deeply unlikeable Mr. Walsh.

There's a lot to be criticized about Robin DiAngelo, her simplistic views of racism, and her infantilization of Black people, but all they wanted to do was to trick her and send her up. A more intelligent "comedian" (or documentary film maker, or whatever he considers himself) would have used the opportunity to engage her in a good-faith discussion. Way too much to ask of The Daily Wire, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2024 9:59 PM

The movie looks interesting and actually funny. I’ll check it out. Not locked in an echo chamber like you Nancies.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2024 10:02 PM

“Am I racist?” Sounds like that one documentary “Do I sound gay?”

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2024 10:07 PM

^^^And the Log Cabinettes have entered the chat

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2024 10:07 PM

The clips look funny, though.

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2024 10:10 PM

Wokeness is a grift, divisive, ridiculous, and insane. If you benefit from it, yes, you probably support it. It’s just one big mindfuck to get revenge on whitey, who over the last 50 years have been the most accepting and supportive race in history. Civil rights like never before seen in the world, but sure go ahead and dig back 100s of years and scour over every incident to extract some racial component while never looking inward for change. The past is done, move on. Start from today.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2024 10:21 PM

Despite the premise (lampooning a current cultural trend), it is like anti-satire. Yes, the "DEI movement" has its share of grifters. We get it. What's the funny part? Conservatives keep trying to be funny, but they aren't. Why? Because the basis of satire is one class (commonly the proletariat aka working class etc) punching up at their oppressors, commonly the bourgeoisie aka rich media personalities trying to be funny, not realizing they're just punching down. The satire lies in the skill at which the oppressed can form their words to "bite back" at the nasty ho who bit them first without looking mean (or getting sued).

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2024 10:55 PM

MAGAs parodying someone else's grift?? Oh, it feels good to laugh again!!! Their cult is led by the biggest con artist in American history!

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2024 11:06 PM

You'll kill me for saying it, but it's still America so free speech and all that: any time somebody skewers the pomposity of our "betters", at either end of the spectrum, I think in principle it is probably pretty funny.

That said, haven't seen this, so don't know if it works. But I won't rule out that it could. The whole overwrought headspace is tedious and ripe for the picking. It just is.

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2024 11:16 PM

[quote]There's a lot to be criticized about Robin DiAngelo, her simplistic views of racism, and her infantilization of Black people, but all they wanted to do was to trick her and send her up. AThere's a lot to be criticized about Robin DiAngelo, her simplistic views of racism, and her infantilization of Black people, but all they wanted to do was to trick her and send her up. A more intelligent "comedian" (or documentary film maker, or whatever he considers himself) would have used the opportunity to engage her in a good-faith discussion.

What? A more intelligent "comedian" would have used the opportunity to engage her in a good-faith discussion??

That's not comedy.

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2024 1:47 AM

[quote]Why does right-wing satire always have to be so nasty and malicious at its core?

Do you even know the definition of the word?

Satire:

"the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues."

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2024 1:50 AM

R15 Such a stupid logic. It’s like believing homophobia has vanished and irrelevant because same sex marriage is legal now or sexism is gone and irrelevant because women can vote.

I can’t believe this used to be a gay message board.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2024 2:12 AM

In today's edition of "fascists are incapable of comprehending humor"...

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2024 2:15 AM

[quote]OP is a MAGA troll.

Incorrect, r4. I'm more center left in my views which, today, in far-left progressive speak apparently means 'nazi' but, whatever.

This is the type of film that Hollywood would've been all over in the 90s, I think.

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2024 3:14 AM

r15 While I agree that the past is the past, we do have to acknowledge that the present is the present because of things that took place in the past; both negative and positive.

Unfortunately, the "anti-racist grifters" (let's be real, there's money to be made) have approached these issues in a way that borders somewhere between self-flagellation and race-play kink. I don't think that's how you move forward. It just breeds more resentment. But, as we can see with this film (and the entirety that is Conservative media today) these grifts, in both directions, are profitable. So, I don't see either side pumping the brakes anytime soon. There is too much money to be made by keeping racial tensions going.

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2024 3:20 AM

Yes, R20, I think we all understand what satire means, but TV shows and movies like "Spitting Image," "The Thick of It," "Yes, Minister," "The Simpsons," "Being There," "Rick and Morty," "Family Guy," "Have I Got News for You," "The Young Ones," "Life of Brian," "Blackadder," "Brass Eye," "Veep," "Borat," "The Daily Show," "Network," "Wag the Dog," "The Powers that Be," "Election," "Idiocracy," "The Death of Stalin," "Dr. Strangelove," "Heathers," and numerous other productions combine acerbic wit with subtle, whip-smart and occasionally good-natured humor, while the likes of Matt Walsh is filled with hatred, contempt, a sense of false superiority, and underlying misanthropy. The difference is TALENT. Walsh is, at heart, a contemptuous, mirthless, hateful figure.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2024 4:13 AM

This guy wants all of you dead or in prison for being fags so laugh it up

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2024 4:15 AM

[quote]while the likes of Matt Walsh is [bold]filled with hatred, contempt, a sense of false superiority, and underlying misanthropy[/bold]

He's a White guy mocking White people who are ashamed to be White and hate their fellow Whites who don't share their shame while actively profiting from being a White person who hates being White.

The rest of us non-White folk already laugh at these types of White people. Constantly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2024 4:26 AM

Key and Peele in all their hilarious glory highlighted this issue in one of their skits.

The only difference is that these examples are scripted performances. This movie is documenting actual people who are dead-ass serious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2024 4:30 AM

There’s R3, blaming gay men for all the world’s evils, like clockwork.

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2024 4:34 AM

Yes, the "white guilt over racism" and "whiteness" in general has been satirized to death by people of all ethnicities. Walsh is extremely late to the party (as he was with his previous "What is a Woman?", which pissed off feminists who'd essentially been saying the same thing for years, but only his documentary reached a mass audience). He doesn't really add anything new. John McWhorter can explain (albeit satire-free) in three minutes what Walsh is trying to get across here, and has been doing so for years.

Walsh's coldness (he'.s a Christian?) and misanthropy are off-putting to me, sorry. I'm not averse to the idea of overtly right-wing or conservative humor or satire, but I have yet to discover something I like.

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2024 4:39 AM

r30 Question. If you're that bothered by misanthropy, I take it George Carlin wasn't your cup of tea? I, personally, thought he was fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2024 4:52 AM

[quote] There's a lot to be criticized about Robin DiAngelo, her simplistic views of racism, and her infantilization of Black people, but all they wanted to do was to trick her and send her up. A more intelligent "comedian" (or documentary film maker, or whatever he considers himself) would have used the opportunity to engage her in a good-faith discussion.

How many of the left wing establishment satirists have ridiculed DiAngelo?

How many have succeeded in getting an interview?

Where has the curiosity been about where all the money generated by BLM activism has gone?

I hate that Matt Walsh is doing this and I hate that he did it for gender ideology, in particular child healthcare. But the liberal progressive left have made a conscious decision toil ignore these issues.

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2024 5:40 AM

R25 Why does your list include Borat?

At least Walsh is targeting someone deserving of ridicule: Robin "all-white-people-are-racist" DiAngelo

I find Sacha Baron Cohen funny, but c'mon, often his targets are underserving of his mockery. Talk about "nasty and malicious".

But performers like Cohen and Dave Chapelle are hard edged, rough, they're not subtle, it's not "good natured humor" and who wants them to be? They're not Garrison Keillor.

Walsh is doing his thing, and it's fine.

by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2024 5:45 AM

"Hey I was just JOKING when I said we needed to eliminate all the Jewish scum off the face of the earth! Don't you understand SATIRE???"

by Anonymousreply 34September 14, 2024 8:33 PM

[quote]Don't you understand SATIRE???"

R34 clearly doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 35September 14, 2024 8:35 PM

R16 are you a complete idiot? The woke industry is financed by big corporate money. It is upper middle class hipsters, elite academia, Hollywood and Wall street yuppies. They are stirring division between working class whites and blacks.

by Anonymousreply 36September 14, 2024 9:03 PM

The only thing I ever agreed with this cunt on was his review of Beyoncé’s Jolene. And yall know how I feel about Bey. His review was spot on. I didn’t know he was right wing.

by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2024 9:15 PM

Funny how the times are changing rapidly. Just few years ago the right wingers were the target of the comedy. But it has all become tired and mocking the poor working class people from flyover countries seems elitist, petty bourgeois, snobbish. All good comedy is making fun of rich and powerful liberal elites or upper middle class privileged virtue signallers, as good satire should. Look at Ricky Gervais for eg.

by Anonymousreply 38September 14, 2024 9:16 PM

It looks funny as Hell. I can't wait to see it. You queens get so over the top with someone who might disagree with you on something. I love a Datalounge regular calling someone "filled with hatred, contempt, a sense of false superiority, and underlying misanthropy". Have you seen any of the Baron Trump threads? The Melania Trump threads? Any fat woman thread? It goes both ways. Stop crying. Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 39September 14, 2024 9:43 PM

R8, how is that a defense of slavery? He’s saying it’s hard to argue that American blacks would be better off today if slavery hadn’t existed,

He’s not wrong. If black slaves had not been brought here, there would be no descendants of black slaves. Instead, we’d have some African immigrants and descendants of African immigrants, but we don’t know how much. Likely, those blacks would be like the African immigrants we have today.

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2024 10:03 PM

Ugh.

"Am I Racist?, the first theatrical release from Jeremy Boreing and Ben Shapiro’s The Daily Wire, had a phenomenal opening weekend grossing $4.75 million on 1,517 screens for the no. 4 spot at the domestic box office and one of the top documentary bows of the past decade."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2024 10:07 PM

Wokeness is pushing me to the right politically, and I hate it for that.

by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2024 10:07 PM

Let’s be real… these Anti-Racist programs are as effective at combatting racism as Scientology is at giving its members superpowers.

by Anonymousreply 43September 15, 2024 10:09 PM

Lot of dumb ass right wing Nazis on DL this weekend. "WoKEneSs is making me into a Nazi Fag and just HATE it, my fellow girlies. Don't you all agree?"

You people are SO obvious and SO pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2024 10:14 PM

[quote]Wokeness is pushing me to the right politically, and I hate it for that.

Then the manipulated drama of "wokeness" is working. It's nothing but manufactured outrage based on amplifying fringe voices.

If you switched off social media, 99% of "wokeness" would disappear. No matter what people like DiAngelo say and do, there is not a tsunami of white people out there feeling guilty for being white.

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2024 10:25 PM

[quote]there is not a tsunami of white people out there feeling guilty for being white.

Perhaps. But there are multi-billion dollar companies implementing DEI training. Some have messaging that is, more or less, telling their White employees why they should be guilty for being White. That's mainly why this issue is getting so much attention. There is also the controversy of adding Critical Race Theory into the curriculum of schools and how the subject of "Whiteness" is broached in classrooms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2024 10:43 PM

[quote]Perhaps. But there are multi-billion dollar companies implementing DEI training

Just one more meeting to add the rest of the meetings.

[quote]There is also the controversy of adding Critical Race Theory into the curriculum of schools and how the subject of "Whiteness" is broached in classrooms.

Again, you are believing manufactured outrage. This does not happen in schools. Nobody is being taught "whiteness" in schools. Nobody is taught critical race theory in schools. Teaching kids about slavery is not CRT.

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2024 11:09 PM

R47 is living in la la land

by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2024 11:13 PM

[quote]That's mainly why this issue is getting so much attention.

It's getting so much attention because people like Dr Phil are pushing it for attention.

People need to reflect on how much of an issue this is in real life. With the exception of a small number of industries, like academia, it barely registers.

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2024 11:14 PM

R27, smart white people laugh at conservative white people like you and Matt Walsh

Walsh is an anti-LGBT bigot, as well

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2024 11:17 PM

R48, make a note of every "woke" thing you experience (that is not online) over the course of a week and see how much of an impact it makes on your daily life.

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2024 11:19 PM

Walsh seems like a dick on twitter but the trailer for this doesn't look too crazy. Not racing to the theater but I would watch it to see where he went with it.

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2024 11:26 PM

[quote]conservative white people like you

I'm Black, r50. I'm also not conservative. I lean more center-left.

by Anonymousreply 53September 16, 2024 12:05 AM

I’m not a fan of Matt Walsh but his film “What is a Woman?” unveils the insanity of the far left and this film will do the same. Nothing is more satisfied than seeing Robin D’Angelo, that racist nut job being taken down a peg.

by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2024 12:26 AM

Calling Matt Walsh a comedian is like calling Harvey Weinstein a sex symbol.

by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2024 12:31 AM

I am definitely going to see this film.

I was a consultant for a richly funded “woke” DEI type group for a few brutal years. Every day was like a SNL skit but it was real life and no one was laughing. There was the tall “man bun” white man with a huge straggling beard who made videos with titles like, “Decolonize Everything!” about how indigenous people need access to AI so they can …huh? explain??

I’m glad someone finally coined “Childless cat lady” because it is definitely a thing on the far left. I can’t wrap my mind around it but all these straight white women were unmarried no kids and they all had huge smelly cats that would crawl all over the keyboard while they worked. “Oh my gosh the cat just hit something ! “ and then Zoom would end. One lady wouldn’t say from this Chicago, she would say “the land formerly occupied by the Chinooks Odina” or whatever tribe was there 300 hundred years ago, that’s how she literally introduced herself

They want to use pronouns in their emails but every person was a “she/her” or “he/him” so after a while the stopped. They also gave themselves frequent racism trainings or whatever even though the only people who worked there were rich white Democrats

They desperately tried to hire Blacks but when the POC workers would say, “hey can you please pay my overdue invoice, I’ve been working for free for three months ” the nonprofit was like nope, wait, crap,, we lost the paperwork…. and then would create 10 more videos about structural racism, redlining and defunding the police. The person would disappear

When the war in Gaza broke out some of them were so depressed and upset about the Palestinians they literally couldn’t go to work, making DEI videos.

Everything they created was critical of America and they would never mention the Fourth of July or really any holidays at all. I don’t think any of them had been to party or cook out in probably 10 years.

The main guy who ran it was fucking some super rich lady to get the funding. He would visit her after her extensive multi-week plastic surgery operations and show her some PowerPoint while she was in a painkiller-induced haze and she would write another $5M check

Literally I cannot wait to see this movie bc these people do exist and they are more crazy and delusional than even Matt Walsh can show!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2024 12:43 AM

The diversity training I had to take at work was HYSTERICAL. It was online you had to watch these scenarios and then answer questions. You had to move the mouse when a little light on the screen flashed. One of the questions: John(white) really like Chin Lee(Asian). He gives her a stuffed panda bear to put on her desk. Is this racist?

I kid you not.

by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2024 1:07 AM

[quote]"Am I Racist?, the first theatrical release from Jeremy Boreing and Ben Shapiro’s The Daily Wire, had a phenomenal opening weekend grossing $4.75 million on 1,517 screens for the no. 4 spot at the domestic box office and one of the top documentary bows of the past decade."

How could it not be a hit?

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 58September 16, 2024 1:16 AM

I cant stand him, even Joe Rogan took him to task for being against marriage equality. That said I might force myself to take some dramamine and watch this thing at some point because if there is something I love is right white guilt grifters being made to look foolish.

by Anonymousreply 59September 16, 2024 1:18 AM

*rich, not right

by Anonymousreply 60September 16, 2024 1:19 AM

Box office: "Am I Racist? is at number 4 and Dennis Quaid’s “Reagan” is at number 5.

I guess that says something.

by Anonymousreply 61September 16, 2024 1:48 AM

me and the Latinx husbear went to see it this afternoon. It was hysterical. Actually laughing really hard, the awkwardness was very funny. Nearly the entire crowd was howling. It’s going to be a sleeper hit and get bigger as the weeks go on. Word of mouth will propel it.

People are over all this bullshit.

And now that we know OP is black, any whites need to refrain from posting further in this thread and make & allow space for posters who are POC. Please decenter your whiteness.

by Anonymousreply 62September 16, 2024 1:50 AM

R61 the pendulum is swinging back and republicans have more money

by Anonymousreply 63September 16, 2024 1:54 AM

Robyn is now worth $5 million and she makes over $750,000 a year just in speaking fees and workshop fees. Why is she not taking what she needs minimally to survive and giving the rest all directly back to Black people in the form of direct reparations? If you are a white person reading this, why aren’t you doing that too? Are you racist?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 16, 2024 2:00 AM

R59 is against "white guilt" grifters but apparently loves homophobic, sexist, racist grifters like Matt Walsh

Republicans are so dumb

by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2024 2:02 AM

R57, all those "childless cat ladies" are pro-gay and vote for open-minded, pro-gay politicians

Which is more than I can say for Matt Walsh and the right-wingers you love so much

by Anonymousreply 66September 16, 2024 2:04 AM

I don't believe a word of what R56 says. Sounds like he strung together a couple of examples and just went to town.

Take your fiction somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 67September 16, 2024 2:05 AM

R65 is more dumber. Just go live in your little echo chamber. Did you give a black person reparations today from your own personal bank account?

Not all of us are in the Kamala cult. We still vote for Democrats, but we don’t have to worship them like Gods. I guess if that’s what you need to find fulfillment in your lonely little life then go for it. Because apparently what you’re saying is that there is no limit to how far the progressive left can go that would make you ever criticize them, absolutely nothing, Is that correct? Sc@t Pride and Ped0rights are on the menu for you in the future. Best of luck, Cunt!

by Anonymousreply 68September 16, 2024 2:06 AM

^ Yep, the Log Cabinettes are busy making stuff up. I guess they ran out of "Haitians eat pets" story so they found this thread and spewed a bunch of nonsense

by Anonymousreply 69September 16, 2024 2:07 AM

R69 please answer, did you give any direct reparations to a black person this week?

by Anonymousreply 70September 16, 2024 2:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 16, 2024 2:14 AM

Oh stop being so fucking paranoid.

by Anonymousreply 72September 16, 2024 2:15 AM

Why isn’t this ranked on Rotten Tomatoes 🍅?

by Anonymousreply 73September 16, 2024 2:20 AM

R73 because all the woke critics boycotted it and refused to review because extreme woke progressive leftists are indeed Orwellian Marxists.

by Anonymousreply 74September 16, 2024 2:22 AM

IF YOU ARE A TRUE DEMOCRAT, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WATCH THIS MOVIE! YOU ARE FORBIDDEN TO WATCH IT! DO NOT DARE WATCH IT! 🚫🚔👮🏻‍♀️👮🏾‍♀️

by Anonymousreply 75September 16, 2024 2:24 AM

Matt Walsh is EXTREME and by far one of the most repugnant and vile figures on the right. Does he need a god hates fags face tattoo to earn your scorn? Because that's who he is.

by Anonymousreply 76September 16, 2024 2:31 AM

R76 so are people who want to transition 6 year olds. It takes all kinds in this fucked up world. I’m not into boycotting, burying my head in the sand, and living in an echo chamber. If you won’t watch this movie, then don’t wonder why MAGAts won’t read White Fragility.

by Anonymousreply 77September 16, 2024 2:35 AM

The movie was actually very centrist and interviewed many black people. DEI may have served a purpose for awhile and helped make some societal changes quickly, but now it’s an overblown grift.

by Anonymousreply 78September 16, 2024 2:40 AM

Hey gurl and all that to you.

My hot, sexy, Latin daddy with enormous dick and I went down to the theater in California krai and Los Angeles, to watch Matt Walsh laugh at the Negros. Is Funny. I think we should all get over it, cause the left are racists too. Much too woke. Right, girlies?

Gotta run, my Latin daddy husband wants to put his dinger in me again. mArY gurl!

Later and all that to you.

by Anonymousreply 79September 16, 2024 3:39 AM

R56 it is better if the crazy women are childless cat ladies than the ones submitting their children to chemical castration

by Anonymousreply 80September 16, 2024 7:40 AM

Looks dreadful. And very, very boring. Flaccid.

by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2024 8:15 AM

I haven’t slapped my knees this raw since “The Half Hour Comedy Hour”!

by Anonymousreply 82September 16, 2024 10:48 AM

It’s funny how Walsh supporters think the left is just grifting off things like racism and wokeism, when Walsh is grifting off being racist and anti-woke. He’s not exposing anything. He’s twisting realities to support his own agenda, and is making millions in the process. That’s his goal. Not to mention continuing to divide people so he can continue to have an audience. Sorry not sorry, he’s an asshole. If you have to look at people like Walsh as some purveyor of the truth, you’re only doing that because he makes you feel comfortable being an asshole too.

by Anonymousreply 83September 16, 2024 11:23 AM

[quote]He’s not exposing anything. He’s twisting realities to support his own agenda, and is making millions in the process. That’s his goal.

The reality that Robin DiAngelo will do an interview if the price is right?

Again, I agree what Walsh is a Bad Person and yet who on the left is taking on the race baiting grifters like DiAngelo, Saira Rao and recent convert to Islam Shaun King?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 16, 2024 12:07 PM

R66, they are also pro-islam, pro-open borders. These so called allies don't really think about issues or their repercussions and really don't give a shit about anything except their need to feel good about themselves and a sense of righteous. At core they are angry, bitter, controlling and would gleefully send people to a gulag.

by Anonymousreply 85September 16, 2024 12:12 PM

Childless cat lady assaulted a reporter. The protest was, of course, about something racial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 16, 2024 1:40 PM

You really have to hand it to Robin DiAngelo. She spotted a golden opportunity in the cultural zeitgeist and came up with a grift that keep$ on giving. She's made a ton of $$$$ off of her little "you're a piece of shit because you're white" racket. Of course she's white too but I guess we're just supposed to ignore that.

by Anonymousreply 87September 16, 2024 2:49 PM

Seems like the film is hilarious.

He went undercover (as a waiter) on an expensive dinner party where rich white (plus one black) liberal women were eating delicacies and deconstructing their inner Karen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 16, 2024 2:59 PM

[quote]Walsh is grifting off being racist

Where? How? Could you show us some examples? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 89September 16, 2024 3:51 PM

[quote]You really have to hand it to Robin DiAngelo. She spotted a golden opportunity in the cultural zeitgeist and came up with a grift that keep$ on giving.

I think her plagiarism scandal is shutting the door on that.

by Anonymousreply 90September 16, 2024 4:19 PM

Author of ‘White Fragility’ Faces Accusations of Plagiarism

A complaint filed with the University of Washington raises questions about attribution in Robin DiAngelo’s Ph.D. thesis, which was published 20 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 16, 2024 4:44 PM

Problems with Moana: should one allow a three year old child to dress as princess of colour, which would be cultural appropriation or should you push her towards white princess, which is racist?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92September 16, 2024 4:49 PM

I should start a Mark Dice thread and watch the leftist hacks go completely nuts.

by Anonymousreply 93September 16, 2024 5:05 PM

Good riddance, Robin!

X. Kendi, the greatest race grifter since Reverend (imam) Farrakhan, is practically out the door after squandering tens of millions of dollars and producing squat. Oh, sorry, expecting an outcome might be White.

by Anonymousreply 94September 16, 2024 5:35 PM

R93: You want us left wing homos, don't you? Do you R93? Do you want us? Do you want to touch us? Do you want to SEX us? Do you R93? Do you want left wing dick so BADLY? Does your mouth ache for it?

by Anonymousreply 95September 16, 2024 7:04 PM

R95 needs its meds.

by Anonymousreply 96September 16, 2024 7:08 PM

[quote]It looks funny as Hell. I can't wait to see it. You queens get so over the top with someone who might disagree with you on something. I love a Datalounge regular calling someone "filled with hatred, contempt, a sense of false superiority, and underlying misanthropy". Have you seen any of the Baron Trump threads? The Melania Trump threads? Any fat woman thread? It goes both ways. Stop crying. Bitch.

You're going to find that DL isn't the place for you, r93. We aren't MAGA here.

by Anonymousreply 97September 16, 2024 7:25 PM

LOL not on you watch huh? Fucking freaks like R97 are one of the reasons why people will watch.

by Anonymousreply 98September 16, 2024 7:26 PM

I've never heard of this guy before, but anyone who punks that insufferable twat Robin DiAngelo can't be all bad.

by Anonymousreply 99September 16, 2024 7:28 PM

Well, instead of reading the hyperbole of the DL Politic-queens go to his YouTube channel and watch a few of his videos. See for yourself if he's extreme or not. Cause I don't see it. He's a snarky asshole and I like snarky.

by Anonymousreply 100September 16, 2024 7:30 PM

LoL, r98, why are you acting like such a retard at your age?

by Anonymousreply 101September 16, 2024 7:30 PM

Stop being weird R101

by Anonymousreply 102September 16, 2024 7:31 PM

[quote]Well, instead of reading the hyperbole of the DL Politic-queens go to his YouTube channel and watch a few of his videos. See for yourself if he's extreme or not. Cause I don't see it. He's a snarky asshole and I like snarky.

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 103September 16, 2024 7:48 PM

A gal's gotta eat.

by Anonymousreply 104September 16, 2024 10:47 PM

Critics are still actively avoiding this film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 17, 2024 4:43 AM

R27 One of my closest friends is a white liberal hippie college graduate who "hates white people." After the George Floyd bullshit went down, he apologized on behalf of all shittty white people in authority who have brutalized Black people.

It was over the phone, but I was STILL looking for a desk to crawl under. I mean...I appreciate the compassion, but he knew I was the kind of person who would make fun of anyone so oblivious. I STILL think about it.

by Anonymousreply 106September 17, 2024 12:06 PM

He is just a narcissistic bitch R106.

by Anonymousreply 107September 17, 2024 12:16 PM

Black on black crimes are the real problem in this country. They need to quit playing victim and fix their own goddamn community.

by Anonymousreply 108September 17, 2024 4:48 PM

black on everyone crimes are the real problem in this country.

by Anonymousreply 109September 17, 2024 9:41 PM

R56 doesn’t realize those cats smell a lot better than he does.

by Anonymousreply 110September 17, 2024 10:35 PM

R83 some left wingers ARE grifting. And yes I'm sure there are right wing ones too. Next time have a left winger make a doc calling them out. Easy peasy.

by Anonymousreply 111September 17, 2024 11:26 PM

[Quote] Wokeness is a grift, divisive, ridiculous, and insane.

Please define wokeness. Be specific.

by Anonymousreply 112September 17, 2024 11:42 PM

[Quote] I'm Black, [R50]. I'm also not conservative. I lean more center-left.

OP/r53 is Teacake NLI.

I know exactly zero actual black people who think DEI is a scam or a joke.

by Anonymousreply 113September 17, 2024 11:44 PM

[quote}OP/[R53] is Teacake

No. Teacake is a male. I'm a female. Apparently, we're the only two Black people on here, though. He admittedly has multiple accounts he posts under. I do not.

[quote]I know exactly zero actual black people

I believe it.

by Anonymousreply 114September 17, 2024 11:50 PM

I just ignore-darred OP and this “black” poster is also defending red state efforts to make it more difficult to register to vote, or to vote — which efforts are typically aimed at reducing the number of black voters.

And “center-left” OP also states that the “migrant crisis” is causing states major issues because of crime etc which are pure rightwing talking point nonsense no center-left person would put any weight in.

by Anonymousreply 115September 17, 2024 11:53 PM

Oh so now you’re black and a woman, Matt at r114?

Do you seriously think we can’t smell your fecal from a mile away? Because yes, so many liberal black women are keen to promote Matt Walsh on forums.

You must hang out with a lot of stupid people in Pittsburgh, Matt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 17, 2024 11:55 PM

[Quote] I know exactly zero actual black people

[Quote] I believe it.

Exactly the kind of juvenile retort we expect from you, Matt. Shouldn’t you be focusing more on taking photos of abandoned gas stations?

by Anonymousreply 117September 17, 2024 11:57 PM

[quote]Please define wokeness. Be specific.

"Progressive or left-wing attitudes or practices, esp. those opposing social injustice or discrimination, that are viewed as doctrinaire, self-righteous, pernicious, or insincere. "

"Politically liberal or progressive especially in a way that is considered unreasonable or extreme"

by Anonymousreply 118September 18, 2024 12:05 AM

I know it when I see it. So do you.

by Anonymousreply 119September 18, 2024 12:12 AM

I am strong black woman of America with view that is brave and not you nancy view, bitches. I love all right and salute brave men and women of daily hire and Russia Today in bringing new knowledge to losers to make them see racism not a thing, no more. Like sex with mens, which I also do no more, except I do because I am strong black woman of pride.

So, you see film now.

by Anonymousreply 120September 18, 2024 12:13 AM

You forgot fat Janet.

by Anonymousreply 121September 18, 2024 12:15 AM

[quote] defending red state efforts to make it more difficult to register to vote

r115 You mean when I posted this:

[quote]Cherie Currie is having a MAGA meltdown on twitter

[quote]So she doesn’t just say that people who disagree with her are wrong but she actually thinks THEY’RE racist? Question: Who does she think they’re being racist to?

[quote] [R29] It's called the racism of low expectations. Some (mainly White people) are really out here thinking we're (Black people) so pathetic an inept that there is a large portion of us who can't even get state IDs. Not only is that wholly incorrect, but it's founded on an idea that most of us are so fucked up and needy that laws need to be changed to accommodate this "perceived helplessness" (i.e. most of us can't get IDs or access the internet).

[quote]I don't know, whenever I hear this argument, especially in 2024, it just comes off as lowkey condescending, and a lot of you don't even realize you're doing it. Depending on the day and my mood, it can, at times, piss me off. Others, I mostly just roll my eyes and keep it pushing.

And this?

[quote]Police cannot confirm that Haitians are eating dogs, geese, seagulls and cats in an Ohio town

[quote]The spreading of this rumor is actually a distraction from real issues that many states are facing due to the migrant crisis. And those issues involve crime, depletion of resources and social safety nets for US citizens/residents, job loss for US citizens/residents since the migrants are usually willing to worse for less pay, and...did I mention the crime? Let's not let this ridiculous rumor spread by Tweedledum and Tweedledumber distract from the fact that there is definitely a problem that needs to be solved, here.

Yep. I said what the fuck I said on these two topics. Still center-left.

by Anonymousreply 122September 18, 2024 12:32 AM

[quote]And “center-left” OP also states that the “migrant crisis” is causing states major issues because of crime etc which are pure rightwing talking point nonsense no center-left person would put any weight in.

You are very, very, wrong about that.

by Anonymousreply 123September 18, 2024 12:38 AM

[quote]Next time have a left winger make a doc calling them out.

They'll just end up branding them "right-wing" for "pushing right-wing talking points" anyway, r111. Let's be real.

by Anonymousreply 124September 18, 2024 12:45 AM

[quote] I've never heard of this guy before, but anyone who punks that insufferable twat Robin DiAngelo can't be all bad.

Oh sure he can. You can agree with him about Robin DiAngelo but don't kid yourself that he's not a complete asshole who despises you for being gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 18, 2024 12:58 AM

R125 He's against surrogacy. And surrogacy applies to gay as well as straight people.

He's a provocateur, commenting on a myriad of social issues. You can agree with some of his arguments, disagree with others. Not all of us are binary thinkers.

by Anonymousreply 126September 18, 2024 1:17 AM

He's against gay people and gay rights r126. Don't pretend it's all about deeply complicated seeing all sides of the issue. He despises you, assuming you are gay, for being gay.

Congratulations on your nonbinary thinking, but no need to pretend a right winger who despises you isn't a right winger who despises you.

by Anonymousreply 127September 18, 2024 1:22 AM

R127: They have to pretend, how else are they going to get a liberal gay message board to give this racist, homophobic Nazi bitchboy the time of day? That or the "me and my Latin daddy went to see it and it made us so hot, we did it right in the theater" routine they try.

by Anonymousreply 128September 18, 2024 1:27 AM

r128 Do you still watch and/or own any films produced and distributed by The Weinstein Company?

Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 129September 18, 2024 1:35 AM

R128 I'm looking forward to seeing this film.

Just as I would be looking forward to seeing a film skewering Matt Walsh.

by Anonymousreply 130September 18, 2024 1:45 AM

Matt, give it up. We see you. Go back to your Twitter, chocobiancousa.

You think by pretending to be a black man, and now even more absurdly a black woman, you can spew these wedge issues all over a gay message board?

Like I said, there must be a lot of gullible people in Pittsburgh if you think you can pull the wool over our eyes so easily.

Oh wait I’m wrong—you’re a black woman who’s center-left yet opposes DEI and defends voter suppression efforts in southern states, and you’re also all in favor of rightwing agitprop. Get the fuck outta here you tool.

by Anonymousreply 131September 18, 2024 2:27 AM

Our Matt obsessed troll is even more annoying than our Condi Rice troll.

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2024 2:45 AM

🙄

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2024 2:58 AM

This Matt boogeyman hasn't posted on DL in at least a decade. Weird that there's still a stalker here.

by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2024 2:59 AM

The “I’m so sick of the Defacto claims” troll:

[Quote] Last year there were 329 homicides in Italy. A country of 59 million people.

[Quote] Last year there were 617 homicides in Chicago. A city of 2.6 million people.

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2024 3:01 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136September 18, 2024 3:02 AM

R134, you posted AS DEFACTO for years after the 2016 election. Just. Stop.

by Anonymousreply 137September 18, 2024 3:03 AM

R56 matt walsh wishes you were in a grave you fucking idiot

by Anonymousreply 138September 18, 2024 3:21 AM

Love you r137. I am definitely not Defacto, but keep on dreaming. If you look at my posting history you'll see I'm an upper class cunt who's been dual CT/NY my entire life and I'm significantly younger than the Defacto boogeyman you dream of. XOXO.

by Anonymousreply 139September 18, 2024 3:47 AM

R135 most of the Italian ones were probably committed by African migrants

by Anonymousreply 140September 18, 2024 4:19 AM

I’m beyond shocked that OP denies who he really is. I mean, who predicted that?

by Anonymousreply 141September 18, 2024 7:01 AM

Matt Walsh is an asshole, but his trolling as a liberal with a manbun is hilarious. I hate him less than the other Daily Wire freaks.

by Anonymousreply 142September 18, 2024 7:13 AM

I'm looking forward to watching it, but not enough to see it in a theater. I'll catch it when it streams

by Anonymousreply 143September 18, 2024 7:58 AM

Hey bitches! Millions!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 18, 2024 8:09 AM

R108 White on everyboy crimes are the real problem in this country. They need to quit playing victim and fix their own goddamn community.

Fixed that for you!

by Anonymousreply 145September 18, 2024 9:57 AM

[quote]you’re a black woman who’s center-left yet opposes DEI and defends voter suppression efforts in southern states, and you’re also all in favor of rightwing agitprop.

r131 Yes, I oppose how most DEI efforts are implemented and find them to be antithetical to their stated purpose. You're going to have to be specific about what you mean about me "defending voter suppression efforts." Because if you think me agreeing that it should be required for one to present their ID to vote in our elections is solely a "right-wing" belief, not only are you incorrect, but you're not that bright.

Also, I'm getting real tired of "defending my Blackness" to a bunch of White folks online because at the end of the day, your insistence on making doubts against my race is rooted in racial prejudice. It's giving, "I think Black people are a monolith who all think the same." And today just happens to be one of those days where this bullshit is, legit, starting to get on my goddamn nerves from you people on here.

by Anonymousreply 146September 18, 2024 6:09 PM

R146/OP as Malcolm x stated well, white liberals are the worst racists. Right wingers are wolfs and white liberals are foxes.

by Anonymousreply 147September 18, 2024 6:13 PM

Matt, we all know why you black cosplay on here, loser:

[Quote] Also, I'm getting real tired of "defending my Blackness" to a bunch of White folks

You’re here doing your little rightwing culture warrior thing, trying to split off some liberal voters from voting for Harris. Go. Fuck. Yourself.

by Anonymousreply 148September 18, 2024 6:14 PM

And go fuck yourself agreeing with yourself via vpn at r147 too.

Do you really think we are still fooled by your reindeer games, you ugly loser?

by Anonymousreply 149September 18, 2024 6:16 PM

Hey crazy at R149. It wasn't OP at R147, it was me.

by Anonymousreply 150September 18, 2024 6:19 PM

r147 💯That is exactly why I agree with most of his ideology. I don't think he was right about segregation and was too extreme on issue, but I completely understand why he held the views that he did. I got the impression he was just tired of everybody's shit at the time.

And I blocked r149. When I say that person was getting on my LAST goddamn nerves, I mean my LAST. Today is not a good day to be pulling that bullshit with me. At all, lol.

by Anonymousreply 151September 18, 2024 6:24 PM

You’re so pathetic, Matt. All this effort to turn a few old gays away from voting Democratic. And it’s a LOT of effort. You are a sad creature.

by Anonymousreply 152September 18, 2024 6:29 PM

Still, please DIAGF immediately!

by Anonymousreply 153September 18, 2024 6:29 PM

Whatever they may be technically, we all know that Voter ID laws are only implemented for voter suppression. We all know that the only people pushing them are Republicans who know that disproportionately minorities and poor people are less likely to have the needed ID and decreasing the vote share from those groups is a key part of GOP strategy. It's bullshit to pretend they are some good faith effort to solve a real world problem.

And no it's not about black people being too stupid to get the ID. It's about the hope that it will be enough of a hassle that enough black people and others won't bother, and that that will shift a tight election to the Republicans. And they barely bother to hide that fact, as well, because more and more they are willing to come out of the closet as the White People's Party.

by Anonymousreply 154September 18, 2024 7:59 PM

[quote]And no it's not about black people being too stupid to get the ID. It's about the hope that it will be enough of a hassle that enough black people and others won't bother

There are multiple factors affecting whether or not low income Americans (who are disproportionately Black) won't, and don't, bother to vote. Requiring an ID to vote is but a small factor. Many aren't even registered to vote nor very politically engaged. All in all, I support voter ID laws because I think we should try to make sure our elections are as secure as possible. Only US citizens should be voting in our elections.

And I see Republicans more as the Rich People's Party. The Black community has an economic problem that I believe is fixable. We're not helpless.

by Anonymousreply 155September 18, 2024 8:41 PM

Let me put this another way that, hopefully, some of you will understand.

Say a bunch of Russians are in this country illegally. They register to vote as US citizens who are unregistered and then go to the polls to cast their fraudulent ballots as those US citizens. Would you agree that voter ID laws would be needed in this scenario to prevent those fraudulent votes from being cast?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156September 18, 2024 8:50 PM

[quote] All in all, I support voter ID laws because I think we should try to make sure our elections are as secure as possible. Only US citizens should be voting in our elections.

The problem is so vanishingly small that elections are about as secure as they will ever be, and probably more than they have ever been, on THAT level. There is all sorts of shit and nonsense happening at higher levels, with manipulation by foreign governments, interference by all kinds of domestic groups, state legislatures carefully writing and rewriting rules to favor a particular outcome, and all kinds of other shit. But at the level of the individual voter going to vote, pretty much 0 problem.

And when they do find somebody, it always seems to be some ex-felon who thought they could vote or even was told they could vote but actually couldn't, and now some prosecutor gets to jizz all the way to the courthouse to expose this terrible attempt to vote proving that everything is a complete mess and Donald Trump just needs to be declared president for life.

by Anonymousreply 157September 18, 2024 9:06 PM

r157 I may change my mind when our southern border is more secured. Honestly, I assumed my entire life that you had to have a photo ID to vote because my state, for as long as I've been legal to vote, always required it. I just assumed that was normal and never saw it as "a problem."

On the other hand, grown-ass people who didn't have an ID, typically (in my personal observation) weren't the best kind of people for multiple reasons, never voted/weren't politically engaged, and were just ignorant overall. They also had/have criminal records. We're talking the lowest, bottom of the barrel, members of society, here. So, whenever I would hear the line "voter ID laws are racist" I would automatically default to thinking that individuals (mainly White) who think this way, think that we, as Black people are all the "lowest, bottom of the barrel" citizens. I still find it insulting because of this.

by Anonymousreply 158September 18, 2024 9:42 PM

[quote]Whatever they may be technically, we all know that Voter ID laws are only implemented for voter suppression.

There are US States that require showing a photo ID. Wisconsin is one of them and it's a blue state. It's the norm in the EU. Are they trying to suppress the vote over there?

by Anonymousreply 159September 18, 2024 10:04 PM

For the EU, it would very much depend on when it was implemented and why r159. Of course in many countries that are now in the EU, there was a lot of hesitation about who and how many people got to vote, once governments decided to let people vote at all. I have no idea if the ID requirements were ever part of that, or it was just a given.

Here in the U.S. including Not-Blue but very much Purple Wisconsin, it is always implemented because a Republican controlled legislature has looked at the stats and decided that this would be a useful attempt to turn a purple state into a reliably red state, just by discouraging a few "undesirables" from voting.

Yes, here in the U.S., attempts to impose Voter ID are always about voter suppression. It may not work, but that is always the idea behind it.

by Anonymousreply 160September 18, 2024 10:10 PM

I'm sorry, but, again, and I will concede this is totally anecdotal and in no way reflective of a larger reality, in my experience/observations coming up, the only type of people who didn't have IDs were just triflin.' They also didn't participate in the Census because they think it's a way for "the FBI to keep track of people." These individuals also had/have warrants and were just...triflin.' I can't think of a better word.

So, I don't see voter ID laws as suppression of voters because, to me, if you're a grown-ass person and you don't have an ID, usually it's because you're just triflin' and doing dumb shit. You're also not politically engaged and don't care about politics either. Again, my anecdote. That's why I think it's an insult to call it racist because the [bold]type[/bold] of people who don't have IDs aren't hardly representative of the vast majority of Black folks. Even ones "in the struggle."

by Anonymousreply 161September 18, 2024 10:15 PM

[quote]Yes, here in the U.S., attempts to impose Voter ID are always about voter suppression.

In the states with strict voter ID laws in place, please show us where and how it has suppressed votes.

by Anonymousreply 162September 18, 2024 10:33 PM

Honestly, I'm sure you are right r161, but that doesn't change the intent of the law. The intent is to get to any of those "triflin" types who are thinking of voting, even if they don't vote normally, just as an idea and moving to discourage them.

And when you think about it, what exactly are these state IDs. Overwhelmingly it's driver's licenses, and if you don't have a car, don't drive, don't intend to drive, you may very well not have one, and I suspect that is a disproportionate number of black, urban, residents. There are other things of course, but they are generally at least a bit of a hassle to get, and you generally need a reason. I have an expired passport that I've been too lazy to renew because I haven't traveled in years, I don't intend to travel, and it's kind of a pain in the ass to renew it. I want to, hope to, but haven't made any great effort so far.

And while yes, it may be racist if somebody is assuming black people just can't get ID, the original racism is coming from the Republicans, who assume that yes, enough black people are too lazy or stupid to bother and often it only takes a few to shift an election.

by Anonymousreply 163September 18, 2024 10:34 PM

[quote]And while yes, it may be racist if somebody is assuming black people just can't get ID

Yep, it's racist.

by Anonymousreply 164September 18, 2024 10:38 PM

R163 and his soft bigotry of low expectations, is any one of the white folks in this video.

You know the type.

Watch:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 18, 2024 10:45 PM

r163 I think it's better to frame the issue as a civil/disenfranchisement issue instead of race because, that's technically what it is. Framing it as a racial issue can get messy and, yes, I see both the Republicans and Democrats as racist in their own little ways on this issue.

Keep in mind, though, there are state ID options for people who don't drive. Why not make it easier for people to obtain that? Why not make it free such as obtaining a social security card? Why charge someone for a copy of their own birth certificate which is typically required in order to get a state ID? If the issue is that it's difficult to get a state ID, therefore, requiring an ID to vote risks suppressing the vote of people who can't get an ID, then tear down the obstacles for getting an ID.

There are a lot of people in rural locations who don't have driver's licenses or state IDs either. Rural voters typically vote red. So, that would potentially cut into Republican votes, also.

Anyway, to play devil's advocate a bit, I think when people say "voter ID laws" are racist, they're referring to the other content in the bills that are usually presented as "voter ID legislation" when in reality, it's full of a lot of other mess that could definitely be construed as trying to suppress the minority vote. That, I am in no way in favor of. But just making it a requirement to show your ID when you vote? No. I don't have a problem with that nor do I see it as a "racist law."

by Anonymousreply 166September 18, 2024 10:58 PM

It's about intent, r165, assuming you want actual answers and aren't just whoring for the Trump Cult like the goober in the Youtube video undoubtedly is.

Here is an interesting little article from the NYT.

Effect seems harder to pin down, as it probably would be. One thing though in poking around was that before 2006 no state actually had these laws. It has definitely been a concerted effort by Republicans to change that, and it is clearly working.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167September 18, 2024 11:06 PM

oops, pasted the wrong thing at r167

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168September 18, 2024 11:07 PM

[quote]before 2006 no state actually had these laws.

False. It became a thing after 1996 when Clinton won a second term. But Republicans are the ones who introduced it.

This is why I assumed it was always a requirement to show a photo ID to vote. I didn't become legal to vote until 2004. And I definitely had to show my ID. The argument that voter ID laws are "racist" always confused me because I never knew any Black person, aside from the "triflin'" ones I mentioned, who didn't have an ID. Therefore, to me, people who used that argument were calling us "triflin.'" Just explaining my perspective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 18, 2024 11:30 PM

That is interesting that it started then r169, but it seems it wasn't actually implemented at least statewide. I wonder if some places were already implementing it by 2004 though, although it seems to have been unsettled law:

[quote] Engler, a Republican governor, signed the bill, sparking debate between him and state Attorney General Frank Kelley, a Democrat. Kelley, who investigated voter fraud cases, said there had been no instances of widespread voter fraud in Michigan, and he said requiring photo ID at voting booths violated the state Constitution so it couldn’t be rolled out. Engler would have had to fight for the rule in the courts, and he didn’t.

[quote] In July 2007, Republicans in the state Legislature asked the Michigan Supreme Court to weigh in ...

by Anonymousreply 170September 18, 2024 11:38 PM

R167 if voter ID laws in deed do suppress voter participation, please post EVIDENCE that it is the case. You have provided none.

by Anonymousreply 171September 18, 2024 11:41 PM

r171, I did, actually though accidentally, at r167. The authors of the study admit more empirical study is clearly needed, but still:

[quote] We single out Blacks, Latinos, Asian Americans, and Mixed Race Americans to see if their turnout is differentially and negatively impacted by the presence of these laws. The results, which are presented in Table 2 suggest they are. For Latinos, Blacks, and multi-racial Americans there are strong signs that strict photo identification laws decrease turnout.

by Anonymousreply 172September 18, 2024 11:52 PM

r170 It was definitely implemented in 2004. And I was a Detroit resident at the time. I can understand the argument that the "intent" is to suppress the minority, and potentially Democrat, vote.

But then there is this finding: voter laws don't combat voter fraud or suppress voter turnout, it seems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173September 18, 2024 11:58 PM

R172 this is from your link at R167

"Are these laws simply minor alterations that serve only to reduce fraud or are they major barriers that substantially alter who votes and who wins in the American political arena? The key to answering this question and to determining the benefits or drawbacks of voter identification is to provide hard empirical evidence of the actual consequences of voter identification laws. Unfortunately, the data to this point have been far from conclusive."

by Anonymousreply 174September 19, 2024 12:06 AM

Well I agree that the data seems to not be conclusive r174, and hopefully data will be at some point. But again, the intent was voter suppression of minorities by Republicans, and voters should be aware of that. Politicians may be lazy when it comes to budgets, and policies, and generally doing their jobs, but when it comes to elections they get very intense, and I assume Republicans were doing this for a definite purpose and with some basis for their desire to get voter ID laws passed everywhere possible.

But of course, that doesn't mean they were successful. And maybe they are even backfiring a little, which would be great. From the study that the link at r173 is talking about, campaigns reacting to these attempts may be succeeding:

[quote] However, the likelihood that non-white voters were contacted by a campaign increases by 4.7 percentage points, suggesting that parties’ mobilization might have offset modest effects of the laws on the participation of ethnic minorities.

Either way, the GOP, which is really the Trump Cult these days, sees minority voters as a problem to be suppressed, if possible, and people who don't like that should not kid themselves about it. This is going to be the White People's Party and likely to get worse before it gets better.

by Anonymousreply 175September 19, 2024 12:24 AM

[quote]mobilization might have offset modest effects of the laws on the participation of ethnic minorities.

They definitely mobilize the Black vote every election year, hardcore. So, it's difficult to gather whether or not these laws are having any impact in either direction. I, legit, get multiple texts, all from Democrats, every year soliciting the Black vote. Sometimes weekly.

Exhibit A:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176September 19, 2024 12:40 AM

Voter ID is implemented in almost every country internationally, we have it in my country (New Zealand), its pretty much universal

by Anonymousreply 177September 19, 2024 2:49 AM

Is ID mandatory in your country r177? Is it universal? We have always been a little weird about that in our country here in the U.S. Are you New Zealanders weird about it?

by Anonymousreply 178September 19, 2024 3:17 AM

It's mandatory in the EU. It's the principle of the thing.

At the link see how it's done in France (and Italy).

Today's Democrats of course would be howling over these rules and claim racism and what not, as they are wont to do. But it is done to MAINTAIN FAITH in the voting system.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179September 19, 2024 4:15 AM

Well it often IS about racism here in these United States r179. But I wanted to know about more than just voting. Is ID mandatory in general. Do you all have "papers" on you at all time, or what?

by Anonymousreply 180September 19, 2024 4:16 AM

[quote]Well it often IS about racism here in these United States

In order to open a bank account, apply for welfare, drive a car, etc, etc, you must show an ID in the US....is that racist too?

by Anonymousreply 181September 19, 2024 4:21 AM

If Matt Walsh shaved that beard off absolutely no one from any side of the aisle would pay attention to him

by Anonymousreply 182September 19, 2024 4:21 AM

So again, do you all have ID, is it mandatory, r181? Why are you traumatized by this question?

by Anonymousreply 183September 19, 2024 4:22 AM

In Italy you have a carta d'identità.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184September 19, 2024 4:26 AM

And in the U.S. we don't have that. Maybe we should, and of course if we did, it would make sense to present it when you wanted to vote. But as long as it's this voluntary thing that you have to jump through a few hoops to get, well, that is a very different situation. If you are going to make ID mandatory for voting, make it mandatory in general for everything, and provide it free upon request. That would make more sense, assuming your actual goal was to have a lot of voting and to prevent voter fraud, rather than other shit.

by Anonymousreply 185September 19, 2024 4:29 AM

[quote]But as long as it's this voluntary thing that you have to jump through a few hoops to get, well, that is a very different situation

Applying for any kind of ID is going to take some effort. You can't get an ID merely "upon request". You have to provide proof as to who you are.

by Anonymousreply 186September 19, 2024 4:38 AM

R126 He’s not Camille Paglia or Christopher Hitchens.

His views directly align with Bible Belt ideology. There’s nothing else behind it.

He’s your typical white racist, sexist, homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 187September 19, 2024 4:46 AM

^ And it took him to take on Robin DiAngelo and other assorted race grifters. And I thank him for that.

Looking forward to seeing the film.

by Anonymousreply 188September 19, 2024 5:26 AM

R187 idiot, you are racist. Why did you need to mention Walah being white, braindead queen.

by Anonymousreply 189September 19, 2024 5:37 AM

[quote]Is ID mandatory in your country [R177]? Is it universal? We have always been a little weird about that in our country here in the U.S. Are you New Zealanders weird about it?

R178 it isnt quite mandatory but you arent going to be able to do fuckall without it, so it is essentially universal, I dont know anyone who hasnt got something. And no, nobody is weird about it apart from a few loony conspiracy theorists and extreme fundamentalist Christians

by Anonymousreply 190September 19, 2024 6:42 AM

R114 Please don’t disrespect me and accuse me of being someone I am not.

by Anonymousreply 191September 19, 2024 6:50 AM

r191 Look closer at my response at r114. There's a typo in the formatting for the quote I was trying to post from r112/r114, the, now blocked, loon who insists we're the same person. I was clarifying.

by Anonymousreply 192September 19, 2024 7:15 AM

^*r113

by Anonymousreply 193September 19, 2024 7:16 AM

It is the same in the US, R190. You can't do anything important without an ID, so nearly everybody has something - mostly a drivers license, but sometimes a state-issued ID card or passport (current or expired).

We have a long history - predating the voter ID issue - of resisting the idea of mandatory identity cards, but that's breaking down because of the necessity of having one for so many purposes.

It's important to note that requiring people to [italic]have[/italic] an ID card is not the same as requiring people to [italic]carry them at all times[/italic]. The latter would be anathema to Americans, and probably not too popular with New Zealanders, I suspect.

by Anonymousreply 194September 19, 2024 9:27 AM

You haven’t blocked me, Matt, and your insistence that you’re

• A black woman

• Left/center

• Opposed to DEI

• Supportive of voter suppression laws in southern states

• Supportive of rightwing agitprop “which sometimes makes sense”

… is no less laughable and pathetic now than it’s been for the rest of the thread. Your history of pretending to be black on this largely liberal forum so you can freely spout your rightwing nonsense speaks for itself.

by Anonymousreply 195September 19, 2024 10:36 AM

R194 actually I dont think most New Zealanders would give a shit about carrying ID all the time as we already do anyway. Yes, there would be some grumbling about carrying ID all the time from some people but probably nowhere near as much as the US

by Anonymousreply 196September 19, 2024 11:47 AM

R195 No one is interested.

by Anonymousreply 197September 19, 2024 2:48 PM

How can anyone survive in the modern world without a photo ID? You need it for so many things. Employment, for one!

by Anonymousreply 198September 19, 2024 5:46 PM

It's RACISS!

by Anonymousreply 199September 19, 2024 5:54 PM

It's pretty difficult, I'd guess, r198, and when I look at the numbers at r167 adults without the proper voter ID at the time they were passing these laws seems somewhere between 1% and 11%, which wow that's quite a spread meaning "we don't really know." The truth seems to be it hasn't been the barrier the GOP legislators thought it would be, but I'm still interested in the intent.

The intent was never to solve an actual problem. The intent was always to restrict and suppress "undesirable" voters. And that continues of course. Other battles seem more important, battles over early voting, absentee voting, number of polling places, weird little laws about giving people water if they are waiting on long lines to vote, that kind of shit.

And of course, the granddaddy of them all: gerrymandering.

by Anonymousreply 200September 19, 2024 6:07 PM

R200 will you please fuck off with the "intent". Two things can be true at once: the GOP wants voter ID to suppress votes, while people with common sense want voter ID because it maintains faith in the voting system.

Even things like giving people water in voting lines. Try that in Europe. Try approaching someone standing in line to vote and see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 201September 19, 2024 7:12 PM

R196, thanks for the response. I'm surprised and frankly disappointed to hear that NZers would be untroubled by a law saying they had to carry ID all the time whenever they left home, even if they were just walking the dog. What would be the motive for such a law except to ensure that any cop could say "papers, please" anytime it pleased him? That would never go over in the US, and that's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 202September 20, 2024 12:15 AM

R202 its pretty par for the course in a fair chunk of the EU and much of Asia. Never had a cop ask for "papers please", and its usually a drivers licence or workplace ID that people carry anyway, I always have my licence on me and my work ID (photo ID as well) whenever I'm cycling to/from work, both of these are in a card format, I keep them tucked in with my phone. No big deal

by Anonymousreply 203September 20, 2024 12:28 AM

[quote]thanks for the response. I'm surprised and frankly disappointed to hear that NZers would be untroubled by a law saying they had to carry ID all the time whenever they left home

If you are a responsible citizen you are carrying some form of ID.

by Anonymousreply 204September 20, 2024 12:35 AM

R203, I also always carry my driver's license because it's in my wallet, and I don't leave home without that. It's the principle, not the practice. Your argument is tantamount to saying, "I don't care if if they monitor my phone calls and SM postings. I have nothing to hide!"

by Anonymousreply 205September 20, 2024 12:41 AM

[quote]Your argument is tantamount to saying, "I don't care if if they monitor my phone calls and SM postings. I have nothing to hide!"

No it's not.

by Anonymousreply 206September 20, 2024 1:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!