Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Last Thing Standing Between Kathy Griffin and a Real Comeback

Seven years after the infamous photo, and a dump truck’s worth of drama later, the celebrity-skewering comic is back in at least half of the country’s good graces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 16, 2024 5:40 PM

Just one problem: she's not funny anymore

by Anonymousreply 1September 12, 2024 3:40 PM

She is the problem here. She is the thing standing between Kathy Griffin and a real comeback.

by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2024 3:42 PM

Yeah, she lost the funny. If she hadn't, she wouldn't have any difficulty selling her comedy special. Her time has passed, it happens.

by Anonymousreply 3September 12, 2024 3:43 PM

[quote]For those who stopped paying attention to Griffin after that photo... Things got a hell of a lot worse from there... She became addicted to pills, primarily OxyContin and benzodiazepines.

Oh, please! Kathy is such a whiny clown. She was addicted to the pills long before she made the misstep of having that photo taken, by which point she already was on many people's shit lists. When she became super successful around 2008, celebrities flocked to her so she wouldn't attack them and because they could use her to promote themselves. However, once Trump overreacted to her little attention-grabbing ploy, it was payback time and that is why so many people have turned their backs on her.

Sorry, but I don't feel sorry for her. She made a mistake and while the reaction against it was beyond extreme, she has said herself that she was warned many times not to make an enemy of Trump by many people who know him well, especially Joan Rivers. Sadly for Kathy, she never learns and now she's calling him a Holocaust denialist... Dumb, delusional bitch.

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2024 4:04 PM

DL used to be a paradise for Griffin. Times really do change.

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2024 4:11 PM

Went to see huh a few weeks ago. The girl still got it! Hilarious for 75% of the show, so-so for the remaining 25%. My only complaint? She’s on the Rehab Paris Hilton bandwagon. 🤮

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2024 4:37 PM

I can't listen to her voice ever since her surgery. Its ruined the comedy for me.

by Anonymousreply 7September 12, 2024 4:42 PM

Her terrible wig?

by Anonymousreply 8September 12, 2024 4:44 PM

What happened to her head?

Where did she buy that wig?

Didn't she lose what little bit of funny she had a decade ago?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 12, 2024 4:56 PM

I love her no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 10September 12, 2024 4:58 PM

I'm a longtime fan but can still acknowledge she's a fucked up person, as most comedians are. She loses friends, jobs, and husbands over and over again without acknowledging she's the common denominator. Rosie has stuck with her longer than most, and from the article it sounds like Kathy came really close to alienating her as well.

I was quite intrigued by the section where she expressed her disappointment that the gays weren't supporting her as much as she'd like. I hope Bianca Del Rio hears about that, because I'd love to hear her response.

by Anonymousreply 11September 12, 2024 5:35 PM

[quote]I was quite intrigued by the section where she expressed her disappointment that the gays weren't supporting her as much as she'd like.

What the fuck do 'the gays' owe her for years of patronizing and stereotypes ripped from the 1950s? She thought all along that she was being benevolent to 'her gays' by making them into 'her' blindly supportive buffoons, but she's been the fucking freakshow disaster the whole time.

She went from being funny about 10% of the time to being funny none of the time. But sure, blame 'your' gays, Kathy.

by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2024 6:02 PM

I thought she was fine on that New Year's gig she had but I didn't realize how weak she was. She's more interested in her cash grab than principles. She should be making fun of trump every day, calling him out incessantly. I think she would be supported by the public of she did. I kinda thought she had it in her, she is supposed to have zingers.

by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2024 6:09 PM

She lost her mind, and with it, her humor.

PS. She wouldn't piss on "her gays" if they were on fire. She just uses gay men for their money.

by Anonymousreply 14September 12, 2024 7:36 PM

God, Kathy must have put mustard on Rosie’s roast beef because Rosie seemed pretty pissed with her in that article

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2024 4:32 AM

Always Team Kathy

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2024 6:06 AM

I didn’t realize there was a suicide attempt mixed in with all her other problems. The list of her issues is long.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2024 6:07 AM

R17 and exhausting

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2024 6:29 AM

The husband must have really wanted to avoid her, she had to hire a detective to find him.

by Anonymousreply 19September 13, 2024 7:48 AM

[quote]But when talk in the SUV heading to the tarmac turns to the elusive special, her mood darkens. “There’s not going to be a special,” she says. “Everyone’s passed.”

More likely everyone has moved on from this orange-wigged clown/siren. Her tired celebrity shitck turned embarrassingly self-indulgent moaning about how much money she spends and how big her house is and how she tried to kill herself until, finally, one sad gay in the audience can't take the dry begging any longer, takes the bait and screams, 'We're your friends Kathy!' Only the most dedicated and deluded fans who have stuck with this car wreck for decades find any humor in this increasingly excruciating act.

Was she funnier when:

a.) she couldn't fucking stop boasting about her delusion that that little grey mole Anderson Cooper was her friend and confidant?

b.) when she played hurt for how many fucking years because she was shocked, shocked to find out that he wasn't her friend?

c.) none of the above

by Anonymousreply 20September 13, 2024 8:25 AM

I'm also a longtime fan who thinks she's genuinely funny and hope she can make some kind of comeback. Rather than trying to get back to her former 'life on the D-list' schtick, though, she should try something different. When Joan Rivers hit rock bottom in the 80s she eventually came back with her daytime talk show and then her red carpet/fashion commentary. The landscape is different now but Kathy is smart enough to figure out some new path. I'm surprised she never tried to do a podcast since everyone and their dog has one and it would be an easy thing to do to keep her voice out in the public to some degree.

by Anonymousreply 21September 13, 2024 9:09 AM

[quote]Her terrible wig?

I think it's gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 22September 13, 2024 9:48 AM

I miss the days when everyone wasn't posing for photos with their mouth wide open.

by Anonymousreply 23September 13, 2024 10:05 AM

I still want to know what went on between her and the grifter Yashar Ali who was her houseguest.

He is back on Twitter and getting a lot of retweets so he will never change.

by Anonymousreply 24September 13, 2024 10:05 AM

She was hilarious - hopefully she'll come back. That 'Allegedly special really was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 25September 13, 2024 10:08 AM

[quote] The Last Thing Standing Between Kathy Griffin and a Real Comeback

It's a toss-up between her horse face and her unabated mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 26September 13, 2024 12:01 PM

Borderline personality disorder is never funny.

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2024 12:04 PM

I think her problem and what turns people off is her victim mentality. Just be the funny Kathy you were ripping on celebrities and spilling tea. Now, she’s kind of become the tea, at her own doing.

by Anonymousreply 28September 13, 2024 12:12 PM

And I say that as someone who will always be Team Kathy. To this day I have no use for Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 29September 13, 2024 12:13 PM

[quote] I'm surprised she never tried to do a podcast since everyone and their dog has one

I guarantee she thinks it's beneath her. Just like she said she refuses to go back to performing in comedy clubs because she's "worked too hard to get where she is in life to go back to working clubs." For the longest time she wouldn't even be a guest on other peoples' podcasts but I see she's finally caved to that! Basically if there's not a fat check attached to something, KG ain't doing it.

by Anonymousreply 30September 13, 2024 1:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 13, 2024 1:35 PM

She’s not making a Joan Rivers style comeback. Joan had good health and common sense and was attractive and intriguing to look at, Kathy is repulsive and sounds like a helium balloon sucker.

by Anonymousreply 32September 13, 2024 1:59 PM

R23 it’s women who think that “jubilant little girl” is an appealing look

by Anonymousreply 33September 13, 2024 2:06 PM

The Anderson grudge is juvenile.

Sorry. I’m married to a journalist. I recognize that I have to behave or it will reflect on him.

The photo thing was edgy and put Anderson in a terrible spot as a pseudo-friend of hers.

And she made it about her. Kathy loves to play the victim and nurse a grudge.

by Anonymousreply 34September 13, 2024 2:26 PM

Typical nasty faghag behavior.

by Anonymousreply 35September 13, 2024 2:28 PM

Saw her live in Las Vegas many years ago. I wasn't a huge fan before, but she convinced me.

Hilarious.

She really was put through hell about that stupid picture.

I wish her nothing but the best.

by Anonymousreply 36September 13, 2024 2:31 PM

Many years ago she *was* funny. But that was before she contracted TDS.

by Anonymousreply 37September 13, 2024 2:49 PM

She was like this in high school (we were in “Oklahoma.” The business of being a friend to gays was real—she went to prom with a very sweet twink, who is out and married to a man, last I heard, and he was obviously gay then. I doubt she could gotten a straight guy to take her. She was talented then and did good work in leads in “Fiddler on the Roof” and “ How to Succeed.” She is complicated obviously—I never really knew her.

by Anonymousreply 38September 13, 2024 3:08 PM

She droned on for years about how unfairly she was treated. She wouldn’t let it die. Kinda like Monique.

by Anonymousreply 39September 13, 2024 3:23 PM

[quote] The Anderson grudge is juvenile. And she made it about her.

And he made it all about him, wtf. He is the one not speaking to her. He cut her off without a word. As a journalist he couldn't approve or condone the picture but as a friend he didn't have to be so quick and vicious about it. I didn't even find his outrage believable it was so obviously aimed at protecting himself. But yeah, Cooper was just a 'pseudo friend' and I might add, a talentless hack so why shouldn't she hate the fake fuck?

by Anonymousreply 40September 13, 2024 3:36 PM

I’ve always felt that her response to her takedown after the infamous Trump photo, should’ve been her standing there headless holding her own head and saying something silly like, “oops, my bad!”.

by Anonymousreply 41September 13, 2024 3:39 PM

All these years later, I think the photo was a bad call. Plainly not worth it in retrospect. Sure you can, but should you just because you can?

by Anonymousreply 42September 13, 2024 4:45 PM

For someone who loves to dish on others, she’s remarkably thin skinned and very quick to burn bridges.

by Anonymousreply 43September 13, 2024 6:30 PM

i think she had her golden years, now she's one of many . it helped that she had so many specials on bravo

by Anonymousreply 44September 13, 2024 6:45 PM

I see Andy Cohen’s flying monkeys have arrived with the Trumptard haters.

by Anonymousreply 45September 13, 2024 6:57 PM

The last thing is age. Plus selling her comedy special to TV.

by Anonymousreply 46September 13, 2024 6:59 PM

Her show in LA is in a few days and only about 1/2 the tickets are sold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 13, 2024 7:23 PM

She lost a lot of respect when she flip flopped back and forth between defending it and apologizing for it. She caved and isnt quite the "strong woman" she claims to be.

by Anonymousreply 48September 13, 2024 7:58 PM

Laughing at the post that said Joan Rivers was attractive.

by Anonymousreply 49September 13, 2024 9:02 PM

[quote] Her show in LA is in a few days and only about 1/2 the tickets are sold.

She should have known better than to agree to open for J-Lo.

by Anonymousreply 50September 13, 2024 9:50 PM

r34 You're sorry?

by Anonymousreply 51September 13, 2024 9:53 PM

Re: the photo. For better or for worse, Kath-e (as she spelled it in high school) whatever talents she has (and we can surely disagree on the quality of them) has always been a verbal comic—words were her strongest weapons. The photo was a terrible miscalculation as there was no verbal text to contextualize it or make it remotely funny.

by Anonymousreply 52September 13, 2024 11:47 PM

[quote] Sorry. I’m married to a journalist. I recognize that I have to behave or it will reflect on him.

0/10

by Anonymousreply 53September 13, 2024 11:55 PM

[quote]The Anderson grudge is juvenile.

It goes back to her views on "her gays". Like another poster said, she felt the gay community owed her. As if she didn't latch herself onto them at the beginning.

Never got the hype over her. I remember her going after Clay Aiken, and it always gave off vibes of your typical straight woman who thinks because she has gay friends she treats like pets that she can be as homophobic as she wants. Very condescending.

And if the tables were turned, she wouldn't have risked her career for him. You saw how quick she hightailed it out of Fashion Police the second they received controversy under her tutelage. Even going so far as to write a ridiculous essay decrying bullying, as if she hadn't made her fortune off of doing the exact same thing.

by Anonymousreply 54September 15, 2024 5:01 PM

R54 Kathy is a typical Elitist Liberal Cunt, who has a primary agenda of being a FemNazi and pushing women and minorities into power, as long ytwomyn (Jewesses included) are actually in charge. I can’t wait for the final showdowns as ytwomyn and blkwomyn and other races face off to be the final master.

by Anonymousreply 55September 15, 2024 7:16 PM

Whyt, R59? Yyu're not myking yny synse.

by Anonymousreply 56September 15, 2024 7:56 PM

I seem to be the only person to remember it was KATHY who made the snarky remark about Zendaya.

by Anonymousreply 57September 15, 2024 8:04 PM

[quote]I seem to be the only person to remember it was KATHY who made the snarky remark about Zendaya.

No, shit for brains R57. It was Ghouliana Rancid.

Do continue to post, though. It just confirms our low opinion of you is valid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 15, 2024 9:05 PM

I watched it live. I heard Giuliana mention the Patchouli oil and then Kathy pipes in "or weed" and then Giuliana repeat "yeah weed" and then Kathy continues with it too, no issue with the snark, but kathy's voice isn't that clear in this archival video. She never spoke up about it later and let Giuliana take the fall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 15, 2024 9:16 PM

R59 the fault lies with Ghouliana.

by Anonymousreply 60September 15, 2024 9:23 PM

Her mental illness is the reason. For whatever reason she completely lost her mind after the photo scandal. She went on a tour afterwards where she spent 2+ hours recounting every detail, relishing in her victim hood. She was bald (shaved her head when her sister was battling cancer), she was emaciated, she was crazed, she collapsed on stage several times. She was high as a kite on pills. The long suffering Randy would rush onstage and carry her off. We went to see her and while about 20% of the show was pretty funny, we were stunned that the Kathy of D List fame was gone. The woman on stage should have been away in treatment. Kathy has Joan’s instinct to keep going but she doesn’t have Joan’s strength. Joan would never, ever have unravelled had she been the one to pose for that image.

I listened to Kathy on a few podcasts last year and I felt exhausted listening to her. Addiction, divorce, suicide attempts, eating disorders, anxiety, vomiting multiple times each day. Still going on about the picture, still railing against former friends.

She lost her brother, sister and mother in a short period of time but never took any time away. I think losing her sister and brother had really weakened her and the photo sent her over the edge. If only she had refused to apologize for the image. If only she had done a Joan style response “oh fuck him if he can’t take a joke” If only she had stepped away for a few months to grieve, get therapy and deal with her losses. She could have come back stronger in every way. She could have written a book on grief. She could have returned with a podcast or a cohosting gig on tv. It’s a real shame.

by Anonymousreply 61September 15, 2024 9:48 PM

R61 those who saw her A Hell of a Story live likely agree that she was never better. She spoke for three hours nonstop and would have kept going except she'd have been fined something like $100/minute if she had, and we'd have kept listening. It was fucking riveting.

by Anonymousreply 62September 15, 2024 10:03 PM

"The long suffering Randy..."

Yeah, what is the problem, here? Seems like he stuck by her through the worst times, and his reward was getting dumped. Why?

by Anonymousreply 63September 15, 2024 10:08 PM

R62 She was medicated. It was the height of her addiction, She literally keeled over on stage in front of us. Randy had to swoop in and carry her away. Perhaps on nights when she didn’t collapse she read as riveting but she just seemed very, very ill when we saw her. Since she used to be teetotal we never suspected pills but we all knew she was manic and looked anorexic. When she finally collapsed we were almost relieved because it was so uncomfortable to watch. We were in the second row and she was 90 pounds soaking wet. I wish I hadn’t seen her like that tbh.

by Anonymousreply 64September 15, 2024 10:17 PM

I used to like her.

Now I think she's just an insufferable asshole.

by Anonymousreply 65September 15, 2024 10:24 PM

Not the night I saw her R64. I was third row center and there was nothing in her behavior that made me think there was any substance abuse issue going on. She was sober as a judge the night I saw her.

by Anonymousreply 66September 15, 2024 10:25 PM

R63 She was on a podcast raving about him days before the divorce announcement. Neal Brennan’s podcast I think. She took full responsibility for an earlier break up and said she had done major work to become a better partner. He is the one who saved when she was tried to OD. It sounds like that was BS and she was still so difficult to live with that he reached breaking point and literally ran away from. So far away that she needed the private eye to find him!

by Anonymousreply 67September 15, 2024 10:49 PM

Oh Papa Tooney...

by Anonymousreply 68September 16, 2024 12:22 AM

Chaka Khan knows her type!

'On one recent hang, Sia left to run an errand and asked Kathy (pants on) to entertain her house guest, R&B legend Chaka Khan. “So I go into Chaka’s room,” says Griffin, “and she tells me, ‘I’ve been watching you for a long time, and your whole thing is, like, you don’t give a fuck. But until you really don’t give a fuck, you won’t be free.’'

by Anonymousreply 69September 16, 2024 2:53 PM

He broke me...he BROKE me!

by Anonymousreply 70September 16, 2024 5:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!