Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYTimes: "The 25 Men’s Fashion Collections That Changed the Way We Dress" - did you wear any of these styles?

A lot of these look ridiculous.

But I did wear some stuff from#17 (Abercrombie & Fitch).

The hottest guys for me are from #10 (Puff Daddy): shaved head, giant thighed beasts. Probably his type .... the kind that'd put a finger in Daddy's Puff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 13, 2024 3:25 PM

free version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 12, 2024 11:24 AM

On second thought, maybe I’m not gay?

by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2024 11:46 AM

I can safely say I have never worn anything from anyone's fashion collection (unless you include KMart/ Walmart) let alone any of these styles. I am not a fashionable person

Johnny Lydon was surprisingly cute in.... whatever it was he was wearing

by Anonymousreply 3September 12, 2024 11:52 AM

Navy blue Dacron is timeless.

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2024 11:53 AM

Only 3 sets of wearables: Armani, Polo, Abercrombie. The rest of it? AYFKM?

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2024 12:08 PM

4. Comme des Garçons, 1985

1 Armani, 1989

8. Gucci by Tom Ford, Spring 1997 (I was a bit long in tooth)

23. Helmut Lang, Spring 1998

I've worn the other designers clothes but not the specific collections noted.

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2024 12:17 PM

Only a handful of these collections "changed the way we dressed." The rest remained abstract fodder on the runway.

by Anonymousreply 7September 12, 2024 12:28 PM

Who is the designer that put a baseball cap on a model? That designer influenced men’s fashion more than all these people combined.

by Anonymousreply 8September 12, 2024 12:42 PM

There are a lot of things I don't understand, but the thing I don't understand the most is fashion.

by Anonymousreply 9September 12, 2024 1:27 PM

Maybe it's time for the cerulean speech from Devil Wears Prada again. Some of this stayed on the runway, some of the individual pieces may have been worn a bit by fashionable big city people. And then some of the more saleable ideas put in department stores. And then some of the colors and styles diluted down to more everyday shoppers. Is that fair to say? I don't really know how it works.

A couple of these collections are meant to be outrageous but quite a few have wearable suits, pants, shirts. The trickier stuff to me is designers that not only don't look like they make everyday wear, but also have silhouettes that'd be hard to just drop into a closet. Maybe a clever dresser could match Rick Owens with the Japanese designers

by Anonymousreply 10September 12, 2024 2:01 PM

I guess some folks have jobs and social lives and the means where they can wear more designer things. Some people really wear some of this stuff going about their day in NYC or London or even LA.

by Anonymousreply 11September 12, 2024 2:21 PM

R7 needs The Cerulean Monologue.

by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2024 2:23 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa -- wait a minute. #20 resembles "Beetlejuice stripes"?!? The model on the right in the long stripes didn't or doesn't strike anyone of, oh I don't know, a concentration camp uniform? Adding to that is the Kapo-esque cap and the too-thin model. As designed by a member of an "experimental" group called the Antwerp Six, I have no doubt that this editorial look was meant to shock and appall. Instead it shows up on a list of designers who influenced the way we dress. (Cue: Cerulean Monologue again.)

by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2024 2:45 PM

I don't think anyone, even the designers, expects people to actually wear these clothes. Fashion is all about creativity, not clothes. Maybe some of this will eventually filter down into the clothes you see in stores, but that's not really the point.

by Anonymousreply 14September 12, 2024 3:01 PM

I assume the nutty runway stuff is just brand-building for their ready-to-wear lines?

by Anonymousreply 15September 12, 2024 3:59 PM

Dries Van Noten makes awesomely detailed clothes, but they are dry-clean only.

Thom Browne is kind of like a striver souvenir - four stripes on every conceivable surface. You’re not wearing Eton cosplay clothing; you’re wearing Thom Browne! Fuck him.

Raf Simons (like Georgio Armani 1989) makes me look like a child who is trying on adult clothing. I’m too short for long and flowy.

by Anonymousreply 16September 12, 2024 4:27 PM

No Calvin Klein?

by Anonymousreply 17September 12, 2024 4:47 PM

Only Armani and Abercrombie & Fitch influenced my dressing style. The designer brands I wore most were Kenzo, Dolce and Gabbana and Paul Smith. Prada only for shoes. I'm a more "I wear the clothes" kind of guy instead of the clothes wearing me". Always had an appreciation for Comme des Garçons and Gaultier but at 6'2" with a big frame, I've never liked feeling costume-y. Hedi Slimane and Tom Ford seemed to work better on slighter, very slim men. I could only pull those clothes off in my 20's when the most fashion I could afford was Fiorucci. Now I'm retired and live in t-shirts, sweats and sweaters. My style inspiration was always old Hollywood. Cary Grant. Gary Cooper. I worked in the fashion industry for 30 years but was more comfortable finding my own personal style than changing the way I dress when certain trends hit. Let's face it, the fashion industry works by making people feel they need to adapt to change.

by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2024 6:20 PM

R11 yeah that was me in the 80s and 90s. I posted at R6

by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2024 9:26 PM

I would pretend to enjoy Thom Browne but it would take some exposure and practice. I'm tall. I'm programmed to avoid high waters and too short sleeves too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2024 10:13 PM

More head to toe Thom Browne

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2024 10:25 PM

Thom Browne makes some sense on YOUNG men. Under 50. Under 25 even better. That's my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2024 10:26 PM

OOPs i typed 50. I mean UNDER 30!

by Anonymousreply 23September 12, 2024 10:26 PM

I enjoyed the article. Thank's, OP.

by Anonymousreply 24September 13, 2024 12:00 AM

At first glance, I thought that was a pic of ‘miss Jane Hathaway’ of Beverly Hillbillies fame.

by Anonymousreply 25September 13, 2024 12:33 AM

Freak clothes

by Anonymousreply 26September 13, 2024 5:13 AM

I wore everything from Garcon to Armani, Yamamoto to Westwood Did I look well-dressed? Sometimes, other times not so much but I had fun with fashion and still do at 61 years, of age.

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2024 11:31 AM

^*^^Fancy Nancy^^^^

by Anonymousreply 28September 13, 2024 1:40 PM

The 25 Men’s Fashion Collections That Changed the Way We Dress"--And Why These May Spell Trouble for Kamala

by Anonymousreply 29September 13, 2024 1:44 PM

R27 = Cathy Horyn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 13, 2024 3:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!