Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Daily pill cuts body weight by up to 13% after 3 months in early trial

A daily weight loss pill from Novo Nordisk was shown to lower body weight by up to 13% after three months in a Phase 1 clinical trial, according to findings presented Tuesday at the European Association for the Study of Diabetes annual meeting in Spain.

The rate of weight loss with the experimental pill, called amycretin, appears to be more rapid than what’s seen for other drugs.

“It’s roughly double the weight loss rate seen with current GLP-1 agonists and approaching procedural or surgical-level outcomes,” said Dr. Christopher McGowan, a gastroenterologist who runs a weight loss clinic in North Carolina. “It shows potential promise.”

Dr. Susan Spratt, an endocrinologist and the senior medical director for the Population Health Management Office at Duke Health, said the results looked impressive.

"How could they achieve weight loss that quickly?" Spratt asked. "It's almost like a miracle pill."

The findings are early — more research is needed, particularly over a longer period of time — and the drug can’t be directly compared to existing weight loss drugs because they weren’t tested in a head-to-head trial. The results also haven’t been published in a peer-reviewed journal.

Martin Lange, executive vice president and head of development at Novo Nordisk, said in a statement that amycretin works in a similar way to semaglutide, the drug in Wegovy and Ozempic. It’s a GLP-1 agonist, which mimics a hormone that helps reduce food intake and appetite. However, it also imitates a second hormone, called amylin, which can also promote a feeling of fullness.

Tuesday’s results were based on a Phase 1 clinical trial of adults who were overweight or had obesity who got either amycretin or a placebo daily for up to 12 weeks. Researchers also tested multiple doses of the drug, including increasing some participants’ dose levels over time.

The goal of a Phase 1 trial is to look at the safety of a new drug, including determining what doses work best for patients. Later trials focus on how well the drug works.

That having been said, people who got the weight loss drug did lose weight: After 12 weeks, participants on the highest dose had lost an average of 13.1% of their body weight, compared with an average loss of 1.1% of body weight among those taking a placebo.

Novo Nordisk said the drug appeared to be safe, with side effects in line with those of Ozempic and Wegovy. Common side effects of those drugs can include nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain and vomiting.

Lange said the drugmaker has started a Phase 2 trial in people with Type 2 diabetes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2024 3:54 PM

Is this a lifetime pill, or are you expected to maintain the weight yourself after the loss?

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2024 2:42 PM

Do they have a pill for loose skin?

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2024 2:44 PM

So after 24 months, do you completely disappear?

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2024 2:44 PM

Fatties are becoming an endangered species. Young DLers will be asking us decades from now what it was like when beasts like Chrissy Metz still roamed the Earth.

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2024 2:47 PM

At what month does the third arm grow out of your back?

by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2024 2:48 PM

And what are the side effects, OP? Let's remember that Ozempic was presented as a miracle drug, and then the stories about people having diarrhea, vomiting all the time, suffering from headaches, discovering that their intestinal lining is permanently damaged and their kidneys and heart are not functioning properly, started appearing. And let's not forget the stories about it increasing the likelihood of suffering from thyroid cancer and pancreatitis!

Nothing beats good, old-fashioned exercise and dieting, even if they are not quite as easy as taking a dangerous pill designed to create a lifetime dependence, and cause other illnesses that will require further medication and oh, surprise! Make even more money for Big Pharma.

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2024 3:15 PM

I can’t stand people that look too skinny. Their heads look too large and they look like they couldn’t lift 5 lbs without needing a20 mints of rest. Skinny women look like they have been in a concentration camp to me. Skinny guys look ill. . I don’t get the skinny virtue thing.

by Anonymousreply 7September 11, 2024 3:59 PM

So, if you're one of Dr. Now's patients from "My 600 Pound Life," you take this pill and after 3 months you'll be down to a trim, svelte 522 pounds?

by Anonymousreply 8September 11, 2024 4:20 PM

[quote]Fatties are becoming an endangered species. Young DLers will be asking us decades from now what it was like when beasts like Chrissy Metz still roamed the Earth.

Young DLers will be asking what fatties are - like dialing a phone, reading an analogue clock with hands, or reading cursive.

DLers UNITE. Ozempic and these pills are an attack on our very DL culture. We're being erased. Mainstream culture has appropriated DL culture of hating fatties.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2024 2:40 PM

So long, fatties, and thanks for all the fishy smells!

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2024 2:46 PM

I cut 10 percent off my weight by getting off my ass and laying off high calorie food. I know, I know. Too much work!

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2024 2:54 PM

r11 I get that and that's how I lost all my weight as well. But you'd be surprised by just how much fresh new motivation injectables give to people after they get rid of that initial 10%. At least that's what I've heard from testimonies of people who then went on to lose the rest of their weight with exercise. I'm talking about obese people that you'd never get to start exercising otherwise because there's a whole lot of mobility issues that come alongside obesity.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2024 3:01 PM

It isn't too much work though, R11, and I say this as someone with skin in the game. I can see it for health, of course, but for looks, slow and steady wins the race, still. Yes it's harder but it's got to be healthier. Calories in, calories out never gave anybody diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2024 3:54 PM

I can spot an Ozempic bod at the beach or the gym in a minute.... think Babar's ass.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2024 3:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!