Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A film I revisited- Match Point by Wood Allen (2005)

I was 25 when this came out and I HATED it- (And I am a WA fan)

Revisited it last night and I LOVED it. Go figure..

But (spoiler- and it you have not seen it, see it- its really good and I do not want to spoil it) SPOILER----

It has a major, major PLOT HOLE...

The big twist at the end (that is almost anti climactic now that I look at it) is one thing--

But these 2 characters were on their cell phones with each other ALL THE TIME--

Wouldn't the amount of phone calls done this guy in?

The ending did feel ambiguous to me, basically like this guy would live in torture the rest of his life, and it was likely a matter of time...

I don't know, I liked it very much, and I liked how the wealthy "family" were overall good people.

by Anonymousreply 10September 11, 2024 12:40 AM

It's the lesser sister of "Crimes and Misdemeanors."

by Anonymousreply 1September 10, 2024 9:44 PM

"Wood" Allen thanks you long time.

by Anonymousreply 2September 10, 2024 9:50 PM

OP it is simply one of my favorite films. A classic character study of sociopathy. This is is ScarJo’s best acting to me and the rich British family was perfectly cast.

by Anonymousreply 3September 10, 2024 9:51 PM

OP did you watch it on any streaming or you rented it?

by Anonymousreply 4September 10, 2024 9:52 PM

It was a hard movie to watch, but I enjoyed it (not sure that is the right word). Won’t watch again

Woody sure hates women. Every other movie of his is a misogynistic mess. Teenage girls, women trying to trap men and fucked up rich women.

by Anonymousreply 5September 10, 2024 9:53 PM

Soon Yi -R2- Fucking hell. I need to check my posts before submitting- Me love you longer time.

R4- Tubi (I learned after its on MAX too!

by Anonymousreply 6September 10, 2024 10:00 PM

I want to SPEAK to Miriam!

by Anonymousreply 7September 10, 2024 10:12 PM

So glad Kate Winslet turned it down because ScarJo is on fire here. Yeah, the whole unknown American actress being able to work in England thing is hard to believe but she's soooo good. It's one of those movies where I ignore the potholes and just enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 8September 10, 2024 10:54 PM

This is the ONLY movie I've ever liked Scarlett in.

Otherwise, I hate that bitch's work and think she's soooo overrated.

Tits and ass will get you far, but only for so long.

by Anonymousreply 9September 10, 2024 10:56 PM

As mentioned above, the husband cheating and murdering his mistress plotline was already covered by Allen in Crimes but ScarJo screaming I WANT TO TALK TO CHLOE is the same as Huston screaming I WANT TO TALK TO MIRIAM makes you wonder why Allen felt the need to repeat that same line. But they're both great movies.

by Anonymousreply 10September 11, 2024 12:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!