Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Feuding, geriatric Hall and Oates both due to release solo albums

Somewhat strange to think Daryl Hall (né Hohl) is the same age as Trump.

Hall & Oates spat seeps into music

After the bitter breakup of one of the most successful duos in the history of pop, the two singers have both released solo albums

When Daryl Franklin Hohl and John William Oates joined forces to form the band Hall & Oates, they created the most successful musical duo of all time — a title awarded by the American record association in 1984. Until 2022, the two had sold more than 80 million albums and had been performing together on successive tours. But the band split over accusations of shady financial maneuvers. Amid the breakup, the two not only exchanged criticism and scorn. The spat has also seeped into their music, with both Hohl and Oates releasing solo records.

It’s not to be missed. John Oates has released his sixth solo album, paradoxically titled Reunion, just four weeks before Daryl Hall released his sixth LP called D. Was this coincidence? Think what you will, but Oates had not performed solo for six years, while Hall had not released his own new music since the LP Laughing Down Crying, which dates back to... 2011. What a coincidence.

The feud between Hall and Oates broke out last year, and shocked the world: no one could have imagined that the duo with half a dozen No. 1 songs in the U.S. charts and 16 more in the top 10 harbored so much bitterness against one another. But neither the power of lyricism nor harmony stands a chance against money, and the Hall viciously attacked Oates, when he learned that he had tried to sell his share in Whole Oats Enterprises — their joint venture — to an investment fund. The spat has not only landed in court, it has even led to a restraining order.

Hall & Oates had their golden age more than four decades ago, but the creators of such smash hits such as Maneater, Rich Girl, I Can’t Go for That, Sara Smile, Out of Touch, You Make My Dreams and Kiss on My List continued to perform live, and in 2014, they were included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

After D was released, Hall reserved his most scathing attack for his former musical partner for an interview with Billboard magazine, the Bible of the music industry. “I’ve been a solo artist my whole life, I was just working with John, mostly,” he said, adding that he now felt “free.” He also admitted that he had not spoken to Oates for “a long, long time.” “The last song I wrote with John was in 2000 and that was with somebody else,” he said.

It seems obvious, in short, that the duo have no plans of getting back together: Oates is 76 years old and Hall will be 78 in October. But fans can now enjoy, as way of compensation, the subtle and unusual creative rivalry that has arisen between the two. Because D and Reunion are extremely different albums, but with complementary sensibilities. In which the artists, although enjoying their sudden artistic bachelorhood, have sought out new musical partners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 10, 2024 10:11 PM

*Correction: both have recently released solo albums. Apologies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 10, 2024 6:21 PM

Wait, are there diss tracks? Is this Drake vs. Meek Mill for the Silver Sneakers set?

by Anonymousreply 2September 10, 2024 6:28 PM

Daryl Hall’s 1986 solo single “Dreamtime” was a hit, but cacophonous and forgettable nonetheless. The

by Anonymousreply 3September 10, 2024 6:35 PM

Which was the top?

by Anonymousreply 4September 10, 2024 6:36 PM

This seems out of touch. I can't go for that.

by Anonymousreply 5September 10, 2024 6:44 PM

I thought one of them died

by Anonymousreply 6September 10, 2024 6:44 PM

Oates was nothing but a hanger on coasting on Darryl’s talent.

He should be kissing his ass

by Anonymousreply 7September 10, 2024 6:46 PM

M-E-T-H-O-D-O-F-M-O-D-E-R-N-H-A-T-E

by Anonymousreply 8September 10, 2024 6:59 PM

Their last top 10 hit was in 1988 and last top 20 was in 1990, who’s going to buy anything new from them.

by Anonymousreply 9September 10, 2024 7:23 PM

W&W for R5. Well done!

by Anonymousreply 10September 10, 2024 7:27 PM

Daryl Hall is a cunting cunt.

by Anonymousreply 11September 10, 2024 7:48 PM

I Cunt Go For That

Diss on My List

Manhater

You Make My Screams Come True

You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling

Say It Isn’t So

When The Mourning Comes

Broken Family Man

Bitch Girl

by Anonymousreply 12September 10, 2024 7:54 PM

I hope they don’t fall into the older-artist trap of sounding like they are reading the lyrics off a piece of paper or being self-referential using age metaphors.

by Anonymousreply 13September 10, 2024 8:32 PM

They always wanted to be known as two artists who are working together on projects rather than a duo act. Darryl Hall & John Oates, rather than Hall & Oates. I've heard this as far back as the 1980s. Think of it as being in a business partnership. They were always friendly and amicable and sometimes wrote together, but mostly they wrote apart. They were never best of friends. They sort of drifted more apart in recent years because they weren't working on new stuff or touring. The big issue is when John Oates decided his share of the partnership and he never reached out to Hall to even tell him he was considering doing so. Hall is upset not only because he was in the dark, but because his music may now be put into commercial ventures that would be objective to him.

by Anonymousreply 14September 10, 2024 9:08 PM

Martin & Lewis of pop

by Anonymousreply 15September 10, 2024 10:04 PM

Now they're not. Martin & Lewis team was together 10 years and had a bad falling out. Hall & Oates were together almost 50 years and sort of grew apart.

by Anonymousreply 16September 10, 2024 10:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!