Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Random childhood memories

When I was 15 yrs old….

A boy followed me into the restroom one morning. I thought nothing of it. He cornered me and then he pulled out a knife and stuck it at my chest. He said.” I want that jacket and I want it now. I said, get that fucking knife away from me before I turn it around and put it in your eyeball. He was stunned. He said who the fuck are you? Said who the fuck are you right back at him. Then I shoved him back. Hard. He flew about 6 feet and landed on his ass with the knife still in his hand. He got up, called me a fucking bitch and ran out of the bathroom. I just stood there in the mirror, wondering what was happening looking back I don’t blame him. He was desperate and he just wanted my coat. And mine was the coolest jacket in the school.

by Anonymousreply 73October 3, 2024 10:43 PM

Chapter 1 of “The Cool Jacket Journals” published this fall by Knopf.

by Anonymousreply 1September 9, 2024 8:09 PM

I am what I am

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2024 8:24 PM

[quote]He was desperate and he just wanted my coat.

That's only after he looked at your ugly sneakers.

by Anonymousreply 3September 9, 2024 8:31 PM

Was it a Members Only jacket?

by Anonymousreply 4September 9, 2024 8:33 PM

That’s what desperate men do when they see angora.

by Anonymousreply 5September 9, 2024 8:33 PM

I was expecting a sex/rape story …

by Anonymousreply 6September 9, 2024 8:41 PM

I am 71 years old and when I had just turned 3 my bother and sister had taught me how to swim, without telling my mother. Our next door neighbors had a big in ground pool and I remember the day my siblings and I were visiting my 3 year old self was standing on the diving board preparing to sail off into the deep end. Just as I ran down the diving board my mother walked through the gate to tell us to come home and she saw me on the board. She screamed bloody murder as I flew off the board into the water and swam to the side of the pool and grabbed onto the side as my sister pulled me out of the water. The life left my mother's body that day for a few moments. But my siblings finally told her they had taught me how to swim so I wouldn't ever drown if I fell in a pool when no one was around.

by Anonymousreply 7September 9, 2024 8:41 PM

To summarize, he said, "Show me that pecker" and a friendship was forged?

by Anonymousreply 8September 9, 2024 8:46 PM

I learned how to kick when I was 8 yrs old. I mean KICK!

by Anonymousreply 9September 9, 2024 9:02 PM

Was it lynx, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 9, 2024 9:17 PM

Stroller length ?

by Anonymousreply 11September 9, 2024 9:49 PM

Shitting in the cafeteria?

by Anonymousreply 12September 9, 2024 9:56 PM

That's a random memory, OP?

by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2024 10:02 PM

Ann Miller posting at R9

by Anonymousreply 14September 9, 2024 10:03 PM

OP I take it you did not go to a parochial School.

by Anonymousreply 15September 9, 2024 10:14 PM

I remember the fire alarm in Catholic School being a steady buzzing alarm. We had 5 minutes to exit the building. The nuns were screaming " remember the Lost souls in Chicago" referring to the Lady of Angels fire that happened at least 10 years ago from then. Our school was modern built on an open concept with external hallways, multiple exits and single level nothing like the fire trap the Lady of Angels School was. One of the many inconsistencies I noted starting at age 7 attending Catholic School.

by Anonymousreply 16September 9, 2024 10:21 PM

Ann miller is r12

by Anonymousreply 17September 9, 2024 10:52 PM

I walked in on my uncle doing the conga dressed up like Kay Thompson. Pretty ugly dress.

by Anonymousreply 18September 10, 2024 12:03 AM

Good for you OP!

You held your power and spoke your truth. But next time, there's a better hill to almost die on - just and over your pink Disney Princess jacket with the rhinestones around the collar. You could've bought another one at WalMart.

by Anonymousreply 19September 10, 2024 12:06 AM

R7. Why was your mother trespassing on your neighbor's property.

by Anonymousreply 20September 10, 2024 1:27 AM

When I was in the first grade, one day one of the school's secretaries came to the class and asked to speak to the teacher outside. When she returned, her face was ashen and she was clearly upset. She told the class to line up and we were going to the multi-purpose room IMMEDIATELY and scared the hell out of all of us. I was second or third in our two-line procession down the hall, and for some reason I said "It's a bomb!" because there had been bomb threats to other schools — it was on the news — and the teacher just screeched to a halt, turned around and leaned over into my face screaming "Where did you hear that? Who told you?" and I said I made it up. She turned around and hurriedly lead the class toward the room, but as soon as we arrived and seated, she grabbed me by my shirt and said we're going to see the principal.

It didn't turn out well. There had been a bomb threat to the school, and they thought I knew who it was because a 6 year old wasn't capable of putting two and two together, apparently. I kept telling them I saw the stories on the news and thought this was the same thing. They didn't believe me, of course. Parents were called, father had a shit fit, and I learned to keep my mouth shut.

by Anonymousreply 21September 10, 2024 3:00 AM

[quote] Why was your mother trespassing on your neighbor's property.

Trespassing? Have you never had neighbors who were close personal friends? In 1956 people didn't even lock their doors when they went away overnight.

by Anonymousreply 22September 10, 2024 3:00 PM

R22. No. I was born in mid 1980s. Don't even know my neighbors names.

by Anonymousreply 23September 10, 2024 6:25 PM

Fingering myself under the table

by Anonymousreply 24September 10, 2024 9:59 PM

A trash bully chick had it in for me in the 5th grade. She had a bleached perm at that age poor thing, and wore flat hard soled pumps. She chased me around the playground and I just knew she was going to slide and fall in those things and I would be afraid to laugh. It happened. Later she tried to get me to walk up the school stairs in front of her. “I won’t do anything” she said. I’d had it. I turned and walked right into the principals office and told on her. My teacher said “Joyce won’t be bothering you any more.” Of course I’ve never met anyone nice with the name Joyce.

by Anonymousreply 25September 11, 2024 6:16 AM

I was called to stand up in class for some reason and I happened to have a hardon at the time.

by Anonymousreply 26September 11, 2024 6:46 AM

Something about a bowl of pineapple and a mother whose youth and beauty flashed before her eyes. Also, something about stealing her man and me being a pint-sized prostitute??????

by Anonymousreply 27September 11, 2024 6:59 AM

I was jail bait

by Anonymousreply 28September 11, 2024 1:14 PM

As a toddler at the beach being overwhelmed by a wave as my parents held onto each hand. I remember them laughing at me drowning!

by Anonymousreply 29September 12, 2024 2:39 AM

Did he make you perform a degrading dance, or display your puny cocklet?

by Anonymousreply 30September 12, 2024 2:46 AM

My cousin was very hot. He was 2 yrs older than me. Once we were working in my uncle's shed and using rubber cement. He said "Haha, this looks like jizz." I was 15 and did not know what jizz was, so I asked. He laughed and said he'd show me, so he jerked one out while I watched. It was so hot.

by Anonymousreply 31September 12, 2024 3:06 AM

In 6th grade I accidentally opened a neighbor's quail cage and all the quail flew away.

by Anonymousreply 32September 12, 2024 3:08 AM

I drew circles all over my grandmother's bras when I was about 4.

by Anonymousreply 33September 12, 2024 3:10 AM

[Quote] He got up, called me a fucking bitch

Well, to be fair, you are a fucking bitch

by Anonymousreply 34September 12, 2024 3:26 AM

We were standing in line for ice cream at the St. Louis zoo. My grandma stepped on a stray ketchup packet which squirted all over some queen's white shorts. He screeched "I'll never wait in line for ice cream again!."

by Anonymousreply 35September 12, 2024 3:33 AM

After Christmas vacation my 2nd grade teacher asked everyone in class to tell what they did for the holidays. I lied and said I went to (far off) Pennsylvania, mainly because I thought it was a beautiful name and, therefore, probably a beautiful place to visit. A couple weeks later my mom told me, "Mrs. Lane asked me if I enjoyed our trip to Pennsylvania." I was really pissed off that they had somehow figured out that I had lied, but I didn't really take the "no one likes a fibber" lesson to heart. Years later, when I saw "Ordinary People," I felt that my fantasy of a folksy Pennsylvania Christmas was at least the equal of Beth's dream of a Dickensian Christmas in London.

by Anonymousreply 36September 12, 2024 3:54 AM

I remember mamma

by Anonymousreply 37September 12, 2024 1:35 PM

Was it a rescue jacket?

by Anonymousreply 38September 12, 2024 1:38 PM

A couple weeks later my mom told me, "Mrs. Lane asked me if I enjoyed our trip to Pennsylvania."

Is there no schoolroom confidentiality?

by Anonymousreply 39September 12, 2024 10:14 PM

When we went barefoot at school and someone said of my feet - It's the missing link!

by Anonymousreply 40September 23, 2024 9:01 AM

I have a lot of class. Always have. Even as a tot I was well aware of what constitutes good taste. Gifted. That’s what I call it.

by Anonymousreply 41September 23, 2024 6:55 PM

Walter, the boy across the street, would take me behind the garage. He taught me a game where we'd take our dicks out and rub them together while chanting, "Wieners necking! Weiners necking!"

New Jersey in the mid-60s was strange.

by Anonymousreply 42September 23, 2024 7:07 PM

Walter is a creepy name

by Anonymousreply 43September 23, 2024 9:01 PM

I was a good Catholic boy with a prized mini statue of Mary that was phosphorescent. I swapped it for a look at my neighbors penis. I think he got the better deal.

by Anonymousreply 44September 23, 2024 10:46 PM

Two children in my neighborhood got run over by a street cleaner. I don't know why they didn't just move out of the way.

by Anonymousreply 45September 26, 2024 3:07 AM

The popcorn man lied

by Anonymousreply 46September 26, 2024 4:40 PM

OP, did he make you perform humiliating songs and degrading dances? Did he sneer at your puny cocklet?

by Anonymousreply 47September 26, 2024 4:52 PM

R47 = R30

by Anonymousreply 48September 26, 2024 10:49 PM

We had an earthquake in the early hours of the morning and I thought it was my older brother moving my bed back and forward.

by Anonymousreply 49September 26, 2024 10:51 PM

R43, you think his name is what’s creepy in that story?

by Anonymousreply 50September 26, 2024 10:51 PM

Mini Bazooka Joe comic inside individually wrapped pieces of Bazooka bubble gum.

by Anonymousreply 51September 26, 2024 11:11 PM

Going to a public pool during summer, being in a men's locker room for the first time. It was crowded with lots of naked men. I saw the penis of an adult man that grossed me out. I thought it was deformed!

I later learned it wasn't deformed, just uncircumcised.

by Anonymousreply 52September 27, 2024 3:14 AM

I was an altar boy and got to serve at a funeral where I turned my red mini-cape around to show the black underside.

by Anonymousreply 53September 27, 2024 3:17 AM

During the Sylmar quake I yelled out for my brother, decades later I still called out for him if awakened in the middle of the night by a quake...my husband finds it amusing, I'm not even close to my brother.

by Anonymousreply 54September 27, 2024 3:43 AM

r54 were you ever bed partners?

by Anonymousreply 55September 27, 2024 12:41 PM

My grandmother walking very carefully with one hand on the railing and one on my seven year old shoulder for fear of slipping and falling on the blindingly slick polished floors of the Venezuelan Army’s HQ outside Caracas circa 1959. Not wearing heels, I didn’t understand the danger.

by Anonymousreply 56September 27, 2024 1:48 PM

r55, bunk beds, I was around 9, brother 12.

by Anonymousreply 57September 27, 2024 2:15 PM

I had a friend over and we hid in a dark cupboard together. I reached over and felt he had brought some marbles for us to play with then realized I was cupping his balls.

by Anonymousreply 58September 27, 2024 3:30 PM

r58, How old were you? 15 or 16?

by Anonymousreply 59September 27, 2024 3:37 PM

[quote] I thought it was deformed!

R52 I had a similar experience, but I thought the tip had collapsed into the penis!

These days, I think WE’RE considered to be the deformed ones!

by Anonymousreply 60September 27, 2024 8:59 PM

I helped my father get water samples from nearby creeks. I don't know why he wanted them.

by Anonymousreply 61September 29, 2024 3:57 AM

The nuns had an afternoon tea for pupils and we had to bring cake. I brought my favorites but wouldn't give them up.

by Anonymousreply 62September 29, 2024 7:37 AM

I don't think they make them anymore, but in the 1960s children could buy little assorted Valentines Day cards that sort of punched out of bigger sheets so you'd have enough to give all your classmates. I begged my mom to buy me some, and I laboriously filled them out with the names of all my classmates. On Valentine's Day things must have gotten hectic around my house in the morning, and I forgot my cards. When the time came to exchange cards and i realized that I had forgotten them, i just sobbed inconsolably. I'm not sure, but I think the teacher might have even had the principal call my mom. I was probably in 3rd grade.

by Anonymousreply 63September 29, 2024 8:16 AM

I was minding my business, playing with my Smurf figurines when this big monstrous retarded neighbor came towards me on his bike saying he was going to eat me and my Smurfs. Heart pounding I went shrieking down the street.

Not childhood memories more early teen memories but I hung out with a bunch of "Cheap awful girls" The one I always called the Queen Bee her mother would invite her girlfriends and me to decorate Christmas cookies, Puppy Chow, etc, Listen to Christmas music, the apt was old right out of 1940. It was nice and cozy. Being a bunch of giggly cunts one of them took a pic of me holding her New kids on the block Danny Doll. A few years later they teamed up against me and took the pic and put red around my lips and gave me blue eyeshadow, wrote Transvestite all over it and put it in an envelope and dropped it off in my mailbox. I was terrified! Terrified that's how my mom and Alzheimers riddled grandmother would find out I was gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 29, 2024 9:49 AM

r63 you poor thing. I can just imagine being a child and having that happen to me.

by Anonymousreply 65September 29, 2024 10:30 AM

I used to hide under the house with my dog.

by Anonymousreply 66September 30, 2024 12:22 AM

My bedroom had a skylight rather than a normal window. When I left it open spiders crawled in.

by Anonymousreply 67September 30, 2024 10:08 PM

R67 Lucky you.

by Anonymousreply 68October 1, 2024 5:43 AM

Swinging on a tree vine in the forest behind my childhood home like a young, gay Tarzan. My Purple Rain soundtrack cassette blaring loudly from my Panasonic boombox. My friends yelling at me to hurry up so they could have their turn to swing on the vine. As I recall, all of this happened during this time of year exactly 40 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 69October 1, 2024 12:09 PM

[Quote]playing with my Smurf figurines when this big monstrous retarded neighbor came towards me on his bike saying he was going to eat me and my Smurfs

r64 perhaps he was role playing Gargamel?

by Anonymousreply 70October 1, 2024 12:26 PM

Your brother was a real tough one, OP.

Didn't your mom hear all this from the kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 71October 1, 2024 12:57 PM

playing in a muddied storm drain in my new white shorts. My mother was horrified.

by Anonymousreply 72October 3, 2024 10:31 PM

r1 How lucky you were to have such caring siblings. Your poor mother lost 1/4 of her life that day.

by Anonymousreply 73October 3, 2024 10:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!