Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends, the Lord Mansion of 1962 by John Elgin Woolf

After a very long period of despising houses like these I have become fascinated with them and think this one is pretty top-notch.

Completely underwhelming staging, but the plan looks superb and the site and views must be glorious, combined with Woolf's "behind the garden wall" style of architecture.

I could imagine a wonderful evening on that not-quite-terrace/not-quite-loggia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 10, 2024 12:58 AM

The house next door sort of spoils the vibe, at least in the first pic.

Wish there was a floorplan in the listing.

by Anonymousreply 1September 9, 2024 3:20 PM

it's not ugly, but this styl5e leaves me cold. if I had 15 mil this isn't what I'd buy.

the listing has the address in Bev Hills, but it looks more like Pacific Palisades...

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2024 3:36 PM

The pretentious and disproportionate Doric columns spoil the otherwise clean beauty of the structure's design. Slender plain black columns would have enhanced the look.

by Anonymousreply 3September 9, 2024 3:37 PM

R2, it's Trousdale Estates.

by Anonymousreply 4September 9, 2024 3:37 PM

I don’t really care for the anachronistic details like the classical columns and whatever those things over the entrance are.

by Anonymousreply 5September 9, 2024 3:46 PM

[quote]The longtime estate of actress Marjorie Lord

Uh-oh. Are the glass coffee tables included?

by Anonymousreply 6September 9, 2024 4:00 PM

It looks like a mausoleum, albeit one with spectacular views.

by Anonymousreply 7September 9, 2024 4:16 PM

The over-scaled over-stylized classical elements are part of the Hollywood Regency style.

If you don't like them. you don't like the house.

by Anonymousreply 8September 9, 2024 4:43 PM

Bullshit. Those are decorative elements. These house would be fine without them.

by Anonymousreply 9September 9, 2024 4:46 PM

Also R9 "The Chrysler Building would be fine without the Art Deco bits."

by Anonymousreply 10September 9, 2024 5:12 PM

It’s just a house.

by Anonymousreply 11September 9, 2024 5:24 PM

Hollywood Regency is a style of interior decor. It’s not a style of architecture. Getting rid of those explicitly tacked-on bits would not destroy the house.

by Anonymousreply 12September 9, 2024 5:30 PM

R12, it is most absolutely a style of architecture. See "John Elgin Woolf" for details.

by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2024 5:34 PM

If a pastiche of historical periods intended to convey theatrical glamour can be called an architectural style. To me it’s just an idiosyncratic platform for the decor. The fact that he built houses in service of the decor is secondary.

by Anonymousreply 14September 9, 2024 5:43 PM

A pastiche of historical periods intended to convey theatrical glamour can, indeed, be called an architectural style. Thus "Hollywood Regency". If you think about the name its meaning may become clear!

BTW, R14, have you met the moron in this linked thread who thinks Mid-Century American Modernism is Brutalism? Somehow I think you'd hit off nicely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 9, 2024 5:48 PM

r8: Ah. Then I don't like the house.

by Anonymousreply 16September 9, 2024 5:52 PM

Much like post-modernism, it is a style that revels in being a hodge-podge of bits stolen from elsewhere. Such works are rarely appreciated long-term for good reason. They are superficial and have no internal consistency.

by Anonymousreply 17September 9, 2024 5:53 PM

R16, fair enough.

This proto-postmodernism is not everyone's cup of tea. But Woolf's secret-garden approach to indoor/outdoor living was superb.

by Anonymousreply 18September 9, 2024 5:54 PM

R17, Woolf grounded his works in theories derived from Charles Adams Platt and Edith Wharton. They are baubles, not trifles.

by Anonymousreply 19September 9, 2024 5:55 PM

The front entrance and outside look like the Fred Segal that was on Melrose. Not a fan. It's very cold feeling.

by Anonymousreply 20September 9, 2024 6:05 PM

I want to like it but don't. It misses and by a wide mark. The "Hollywood Regency" elements of pavilions just look too comical, like those nervous, scratchy illustrations in Osbert Lancaster's 1930s books of architectural styles in which he coins styles like "Stockbroker's Tudor.". Occasionally the Hollywood revival of Regency strikes gold or at least a smile, but too often it contorts the flatness of the source style for cheapness, and pavilions cut out of Kleenex boxes with a few little bells from a cat collar strung along the parapet.

It's all too tentative, expensive rather than confident. The interiors are terrible. Low ceilings, no evident progression of spaces (though I'll echo the regret up thread of having no floor plan to examine.) The recessed fluorescent strip lights in the ceiling of one of the major rooms says it all.

That great arch of the colonnaded court should be something great, especially given the prospect over the city, but no.

I agree OP, it's a style that's hard to love and I'm a big admirer of revival styles and historical references, but this example doesn't work at all for me

by Anonymousreply 21September 9, 2024 6:10 PM

I think Hollywood Regency best works in big spaces, with lots of "nothing" among the ornamentations and tchotchkes. This house seems crowded and cluttered.

by Anonymousreply 22September 9, 2024 6:18 PM

R22, the staging is dreadful and not in keeping with the aesthetic overall. It looks like a corporate conference room.

by Anonymousreply 23September 9, 2024 6:20 PM

I like the view.

by Anonymousreply 24September 9, 2024 6:25 PM

I agree (R2) that with $15MM I'd probably buy something else, and I'm not usually a fan of white white white, but I really do love that kitchen. And I'd be caftanning the shit out of that pool and bar area.

by Anonymousreply 25September 9, 2024 6:35 PM

She was married to Harry Volk, who ran Union Bank. I met them both, and her daughter Anne Archer (and her son), at the wedding of Harry’s granddaughter. I knew the bride and groom from Cal.

by Anonymousreply 26September 9, 2024 8:49 PM

Isn't Anne Archer a big Scientologist?

by Anonymousreply 27September 9, 2024 11:38 PM

R26 Wow. I've just shat myself from the excitement.

by Anonymousreply 28September 10, 2024 12:22 AM

Next time, wipe yourself.

by Anonymousreply 29September 10, 2024 12:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!