Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Black People and Hair

I believe Megan Markle is suffering from trauma from hair. As a light cocoa brown person myself, I have what black people call good hair. Though I’m not light enough to ever be mistaken for white and I tan mad easily. However someone like Markle with the change of a hair style, relaxer, weave what she reads as becomes dramatically different. Straight hair she reads white. Afro textured hair she reads black. I bet when her mama gave her her first relaxer, reverse perm for black people, that child’s life has never been the same.

What say you DL?

by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2024 9:15 AM

What Say I ? Here's what I say:

There's a question buried in all that gibberish that requires an answer ? Seriously ?

by Anonymousreply 1September 9, 2024 12:09 AM

Is it a lot of trouble to relax/straighten hair?

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2024 12:12 AM

R2 Not to relax ie perm. But to straight using non chemical means yes. 4c hair extremely yes. Even blacks with quote unquote good hair, our hair insanely coils and curls when wet and you need to come through the tangles. Use a detangling conditioner. Yes I’m a Mary whose aunt owned a hair salon growing up. Only blacks with non Afro textured hair, a very small minority, is it easy. Even biracial blacks like Shemar Moore and Halle Berry have afro textured hair. Rashida Jones not so much.

by Anonymousreply 3September 9, 2024 12:18 AM

I liked Chris Rock's documentary about this, don't recall the name, late aughts I think. Black women spend a LOT of money on their hair.

by Anonymousreply 4September 9, 2024 12:18 AM

DL will use any dumbass reason to start yet another Meghan Markle post.

by Anonymousreply 5September 9, 2024 12:21 AM

R4 It’s called good hair. Hair, along with the brown bag, was one of the defining characteristics of a black person’s potential for upward social mobility. Confounded with the reality that mixed race blacks usually have European textured or influenced hair. All of that made them more desirable and “passable”.

by Anonymousreply 6September 9, 2024 12:22 AM

R5 I’m trying to get white people into Megan’s psyche. She is a victim. And I know black girls probably gave her hell growing up be cause she is a lightskin long hair don’t care, but she doesn’t know how to act black. It’s hard to explain. And the white kids probably thought she was too weird looking. Poor child was tortured. And thus now she is an adult cunt.

by Anonymousreply 7September 9, 2024 12:25 AM

Nothing to contribute, I'm afraid, OP (for which I apologize), but I remember snickering when my Nigerian neighbor took an issue of "Hello!" magazine with MM on the cover into the bathroom with her (this must have been 6-7 years ago), and exclaiming really loudly, behind the closed door: "Prince Harry's girlfriend is considered BLACK?!", followed by uproarious laughter.

by Anonymousreply 8September 9, 2024 12:33 AM

I always have to remind myself that she's supposed to be Black.

by Anonymousreply 9September 9, 2024 12:34 AM

R9 As a child she looked more black.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 9, 2024 12:37 AM

As a child she also had more nose.

by Anonymousreply 11September 9, 2024 12:46 AM

I say, you ought to save this for your next klan rally

by Anonymousreply 12September 9, 2024 12:55 AM

I was born blonde with what people would call 'good hair,' but once I hit puberty, the Jewfro happened, and my hair darkened to a light ash brown. That’s when I started straightening it.

I’ve been relaxing it since I was 15, and now that it’s got some gray, the relaxer sometimes turns it green. Sometimes it fades after a couple of shampoos, and other times I’m stuck with green-and-pepper hair instead of salt-and-pepper. Honestly, I find it laughable as I write this. But I still douse my hair in what my husband finds hilarious—the brand Dark & Lovely. He always says I’m lovely, but definitely not dark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2024 9:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!