Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kathy Bates RETIRING after Matlock

After five decades in Hollywood, Oscar- and Emmy-winning actress Kathy Bates says she is ready to yell cut. The esteemed performer will put away her scripts following CBS‘ reboot of Matlock, premiering Sept. 22 and later dropping on Paramount+.

“This is my last dance,” she told the New York Times simply in a new interview published Sunday.

In fact, Bates revealed that she was ready to retire earlier, after a film shoot had soured for her (she did not specify the production) late last year. However, in January 2024, her agents sent her the script for the procedural, the premise of which — a reimagining on the classic legal TV drama, featuring a septuagenarian righting wrongs — intrigued the actress as a person who has faced injustice earlier in her career, she said.

“Everything I’ve prayed for, worked for, clawed my way up for, I am suddenly able to be asked to use all of it,” she said of the series. “And it’s exhausting.”

Bates is most known for her Academy Award-winning role as Annie Wilkes in 1990’s Misery, about a violent hermit who kidnaps a famous novelist. Later on, she had arcs on television shows like Six Feet Under, The Office, Two and a Half Men and American Horror Story: Coven. She won Emmys for Outstanding Guest Actress and Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie for the latter two projects. She also starred in Netflix’s two-season-long 2017 sitcom Disjointed, which follows a medical dispensary’s owner. Her latest turns were in Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret and Netflix’s A Family Affair, opposite Nicole Kidman.

With an 18-episode order, Matlock is anything but restful. The remake of the late ’80s original (which starred Andy Griffith) follows a brilliant attorney’s return to a prestigious law firm after having achieved success in her younger years. It will also feature Jason Ritter, Skye P. Marshall and Beau Bridges. It hails from showrunner Jennie Snyder Urman.

“It becomes my life,” Bates said of the all-consuming nature of acting. “Sometimes I get jealous of having this talent. Because I can’t hold it back, and I just want my life.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 29, 2024 12:10 AM

Here's the NY Times article.

She's pushing 80 and she's battled cancer a couple of times, not surprising she wants to retire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 8, 2024 11:06 PM

I hope she changes her mind especially if the show only lasts 1 or 2 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 2September 8, 2024 11:06 PM

Well, "Matlock" will be canceled by December so she will get her rest sooner rather than later.

by Anonymousreply 3September 8, 2024 11:06 PM

She was excellent recently as the grandmother in "Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret."

by Anonymousreply 4September 8, 2024 11:08 PM

I miss her already. How long has she been gone ?

by Anonymousreply 5September 8, 2024 11:49 PM

That's a great photo of her in the OP pic.

by Anonymousreply 6September 8, 2024 11:50 PM

Why does Hollywood have to cannibalize the previous Andy Griffith show "Matlock" for a new show with a woman character, etc?

Why call it by the name of the original show?

Surely they are not trying to claim that Kathy Bates is an older version of Matlock's daughter?

No imagination even for the title does not speak well of those producing this.

by Anonymousreply 7September 9, 2024 12:17 AM

Ozempic at work there

by Anonymousreply 8September 9, 2024 12:30 AM

Amateur!

by Anonymousreply 9September 9, 2024 12:33 AM

[quote] “Sometimes I get jealous of having this talent. Because I can’t hold it back, and I just want my life.”

Huh? She sounds like a jerk, here.

And yes, she's on Ozempic. All this time and she finally cracked the code on how to lose weight? Ozempic.

by Anonymousreply 10September 9, 2024 12:36 AM

Yeah, I don't get why they are using the Matlock name, which they surely had to pay for. Maybe because Bates already had one flop lawyer show?

by Anonymousreply 11September 9, 2024 12:42 AM

As posted above, I think her health is very fragile. She is talented, but the projects she undertook weren’t always that interesting. Misery was a hit and her performance was strong, but the ending (the super violent fight scene) took away any interest I had in watching it again. Dolores Claiborne, too, a good but imperfect film.

Bad Santa 2 was just Bad.

by Anonymousreply 12September 9, 2024 12:49 AM

[quote] Surely they are not trying to claim that Kathy Bates is an older version of Matlock's daughter?

No, they're not trying to do that, R7. Reports say there's no connection between Bates' character, Madeline "Matty" Matlock, and Griffith's Ben Matock. Apparently, there's even a promo where she tells a group of people that her surname "is like the old TV show" -- as if she used to watch the show herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2024 12:51 AM

R13. This drives me insane. Then why use the fucking name of Matlock?! All the old timers who tuned in every week in the 80s are almost all dead! I'm 40...I never watched it and I'm not drawn to this. They should have named her "Lola Bigcups."

by Anonymousreply 14September 9, 2024 1:52 AM

She sounds like she's clinically depressed.

by Anonymousreply 15September 9, 2024 2:01 AM

[quote] Why does Hollywood have to cannibalize the previous Andy Griffith show "Matlock" for a new show with a woman character, etc?

Why call it by the name of the original show?

Why do care so much? Who gives a fuck?

by Anonymousreply 16September 9, 2024 2:05 AM

[quote] Why call it by the name of the original show?

They think melancholy boomers are senile and won't notice that it's not the same show.

by Anonymousreply 17September 9, 2024 3:19 AM

She was pretty funny in About Schmidt.

by Anonymousreply 18September 9, 2024 4:00 AM

R14 because name recognition. I probably won't watch however I'm was slightly more interested in what this show was when in the name was mentioned versus if it had a name like Morris or Bentley because I was like oh Matlock. So I guess they're banking on people will be intrigued in at least check out one episode but my interest lasted as long as that article and knowing it has nothing to do with the original.

by Anonymousreply 19September 9, 2024 4:49 AM

So she'll be retiring after this season. We'll miss you, Kathy!

by Anonymousreply 20September 9, 2024 5:17 AM

The ads and trailers I've seen for the series have piqued my interest. I'm looking forward to the premiere.

by Anonymousreply 21September 9, 2024 5:59 AM

She's trying to get her fans to keep this show on the air after Harry's Law crashed & burned.

It's like Cher saying she was on a retirement tour which has lasted decades now...

by Anonymousreply 22September 9, 2024 6:12 AM

I'm tempted to watch it but CBS makes brainless slop for utter fools (CSI Miami, Big Bang Theory, NCIS etc)

by Anonymousreply 23September 9, 2024 6:13 AM

[quote]Huh? She sounds like a jerk, here.

Agreed, R10. Bates is lucky she's had the career that she's had.

by Anonymousreply 24September 9, 2024 6:56 AM

R23 CBS has Elsbeth which is very good.

by Anonymousreply 25September 9, 2024 7:07 AM

At least we will only have to smell her nappy pussy for about 13 more weeks.

by Anonymousreply 26September 9, 2024 7:38 AM

R13 Unrecognizable.

by Anonymousreply 27September 9, 2024 8:30 AM

Even with facts having gone out of favor in contemporary journalism, you'd think that along the way to and then after this piece someone at the New York Times or deadline.com would have determined that Bates' Matlock pilot was shot in 2023, which would seem to make the reporter's "A few weeks later, in January of [2024] her agents sent her a script..." more than a little curious. Maybe even, you know, incorrect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 9, 2024 12:39 PM

Facing such injustices early in her career.

Like that Oscar.

Poor old thing.

by Anonymousreply 29September 9, 2024 12:48 PM

Yeah, r29. Remember when a 24 year old Kathy Bates won the Oscar for Misery? Why she bitchin?

by Anonymousreply 30September 9, 2024 1:43 PM

She should do a podcast with Roxane Gay called We're Exhausted.

by Anonymousreply 31September 9, 2024 2:10 PM

[quote]Why call it by the name of the original show?

It's one thing if it were truly original IP, but realistically, the show is simply another procedural dramedy with the hook that the lead is an older person who is normally dismissed by youth-obsessed culture.

Using the name for recognition makes some sense. It telegraphs immediately what people can expect - it's not going to be about hot young lawyers making difference.

I never watched the originally Andy Griffith version, so maybe I'm just not that invested in the concept, as I would be in another Trek or Star Wars property.

by Anonymousreply 32September 9, 2024 2:13 PM

This could be a win for me. I’ve liked every performance I’ve ever seen her give and just subscribed to Paramount+ yesterday because I wanted to have a backup football team to transfer my affections to in case the religiosity and Trumpism that keeps coming out of the KC Chiefs lately becomes too much. Seahawks won their game, too. So, yay to that and maybe yay to this, too.

by Anonymousreply 33September 9, 2024 2:33 PM

She gets a gay lifetime achievement award for Fried Green Tomatoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 9, 2024 2:41 PM

She looks awful after having lost all that weight. This is one of the few cases in which thinness doesn't suit someone AT ALL. She's gone from looking like a jolly auntie to looking like a malnourished owl. As for the fact that she plans to retire, it is a great pity, as she is one of the best actresses who have ever lived and can easily be considered a match for Meryl Streep, Glenn Close and Diane Keaton.

by Anonymousreply 35September 9, 2024 2:43 PM

Even with facts having gone out of favor in contemporary journalism

R28 Dropping conspiracy bread crumbs in a critique of entertainment reporting? Clever.

by Anonymousreply 36September 9, 2024 2:47 PM

I bet that Cinematic Doo- Doo Festival Summer Camp is the film that turned her off to acting, forevah!

by Anonymousreply 37September 9, 2024 3:00 PM

[quote]This drives me insane. Then why use the fucking name of Matlock?! All the old timers who tuned in every week in the 80s are almost all dead! I'm 40...I never watched it and I'm not drawn to this. They should have named her "Lola Bigcups."[quote]

They are dead, R14.

by Anonymousreply 38September 9, 2024 3:03 PM

She’s even younger than Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 39September 9, 2024 3:13 PM

Unsure what the conspiracy reference could possibly mean but breadcrumbs is one word, not two.

by Anonymousreply 40September 9, 2024 4:10 PM

^^And "suck my dick" is three words.

by Anonymousreply 41September 9, 2024 5:06 PM

[quote] This drives me insane. Then why use the fucking name of Matlock?! All the old timers who tuned in every week in the 80s are almost all dead!

That is the main CBS network demo.

by Anonymousreply 42September 9, 2024 7:09 PM

Is Kathy married?

by Anonymousreply 43September 9, 2024 7:25 PM

[quote] Maybe because Bates already had one flop lawyer show?

I liked Harry’s Law.

by Anonymousreply 44September 9, 2024 7:27 PM

[quote]That is the main CBS network demo.

Pretty much:

"CBS has the oldest primetime audience among broadcasters, with a median age of 67.8, two-plus years older than ABC (65.5). NBC (64.9) skews a bit younger than the formerly youth-chasing CW (65.2)."

by Anonymousreply 45September 9, 2024 7:29 PM

Step aside, creampuff.

by Anonymousreply 46September 9, 2024 8:11 PM

She looked about the same for 25 years but now she looks like an old lady practically overnight.

by Anonymousreply 47September 9, 2024 9:05 PM

She said she had a bad experience on a recent movie. I wonder if it was “Summer Camp” with Diane Keaton.

by Anonymousreply 48September 10, 2024 4:51 AM

Did you like episode 1? I didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 49September 23, 2024 12:58 AM

I wish she had done Quincy instead.

by Anonymousreply 50September 23, 2024 1:00 AM

She's 76, she should retire. Don't die working, everyone.

by Anonymousreply 51September 23, 2024 1:15 AM

[quote]She's 76, she should retire. Don't die working, everyone.

As they say, it's not work if you love it. There are plenty of people who love what they're doing.

Writers like Stephen King probably love doing it. Other authors probably hate it, but do it for the paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 52September 23, 2024 3:30 AM

A gal's gotta eat. Old or not.

by Anonymousreply 53September 23, 2024 3:31 AM

I've known doctors who worked past their job expiration date. Not always a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 54September 23, 2024 4:16 AM

Hollywood Reporter: CBS’ update on Matlock brought in a strong audience for its premiere Sunday night.

The legal drama starring Kathy Bates brought in 7.73 million viewers for its debut. Excluding shows that debuted after the Super Bowl, that’s the largest series premiere audience for a CBS show in more than five years (since The Code followed an NCIS episode in April 2019).

The 7.73 million viewers also would have ranked in the top five among CBS’ same-day audiences for scripted shows last season.

by Anonymousreply 55September 23, 2024 11:19 PM

I watched it on Paramount+ and I thought it was pretty good. There's a twist I won't give away.

by Anonymousreply 56September 24, 2024 6:28 AM

She already said she isn’t returning at the Emmys a week ago. She’s a liar.

by Anonymousreply 57September 24, 2024 6:32 AM

She already has a big movie coming out in which she stars. A historical drama.

by Anonymousreply 58September 24, 2024 6:33 AM

Seems cheesy and a bit sad that any actor of any stature would do a "Big Three" broadcast network series.

I stopped watched anything from the former big networks before Law & Order ended in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 59September 24, 2024 6:50 AM

why didn't she return to the New York stage off and on through the years, to break up all the B material she's been given?

by Anonymousreply 60September 24, 2024 6:56 AM

[quote] There's a twist I won't give away.

She has a dick.

by Anonymousreply 61September 24, 2024 7:21 AM

[quote]I watched it on Paramount+ and I thought it was pretty good. There's a twist I won't give away.

There were 2 twists, r56, both in the final minutes of the episode. The first one was delightful, though not exactly surprising. The second, dropped in the last 60 seconds, I could have lived without entirely. It's such a tired old trope. At the very least, they ought to have held that one back until a few more episodes in.

They gave themselves no place to go. Now the entire season will be about that, and they probably won't get a second.

by Anonymousreply 62September 24, 2024 1:41 PM

The twist is interesting.

I liked this first episode enough to watch again. I may even watch Elspeth too. I haven't watched anything on CBS primetime in probably close to 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 63September 24, 2024 1:46 PM

[quote]I may even watch Elspeth too.

I gave up after three episodes. Too formulaic, and her "kooky" shtick wears me out.

by Anonymousreply 64September 24, 2024 2:43 PM

It was a solid procedural.

The twist on her ulterior motive was revealed too soon. I get why they'd do it in the first episode, but it probably should have been held a couple more episodes with a slower rollout that everything isn't as it seemed.

The episode should have ended with her getting into the car after getting off the bus.

by Anonymousreply 65September 28, 2024 3:54 AM

There is something very different abouther looks, just can't put my finger on it

by Anonymousreply 66September 28, 2024 4:19 AM

Was Mason Reese her grandson?

by Anonymousreply 67September 28, 2024 4:42 AM

Has she lost weight?

by Anonymousreply 68September 28, 2024 5:45 AM

The first episode is on YOU TUBE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 29, 2024 12:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!