Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did you like Twin Peaks: The Return as much as the original Twin Peaks?

I’m rewatching the original Twin Peaks and it’s truly magical. I watched The Return when it aired live but aside from a few episodes here and there, it didn’t grab me like the original seasons or Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me did. Did you feel it was worth the hype or no?

by Anonymousreply 28September 13, 2024 2:28 AM

Yes. It had the same exact dark tone as Fire Walk with Me. I really would've wished that they had gotten Joan Chen, Laurie Piper, Heather Graham to return.

As for Donna returning they could've always used Moira Kelly from Fire Walk with Me since she would've definitely come back and her face would've been far more pleasant to look at than LFB's. Several missed opportunities there.

The season finale seemed very final not to mention the fact that several more cast members and Angelo Badalamenti have died after season 3 came out making the idea of additional seasons highly unlikely.

That and Sheryl Lee's neutropenia and David Lynch's recent diagnosis of emphysema are the final nails in the coffin.

One more thing to mention is that Kimmy Robertson (Lucy) recently came under fire for continuing to support Brian Peck. Who somehow still gets work in the industry despite being a RSO after having sexually assaulted then underage actor and singer Drake Bell dozens of times over twenty years ago. During the time they worked together on The Amanda Show.

by Anonymousreply 1September 8, 2024 1:58 AM

Episode 8 and the last five episodes are astonishing.

And the rest are as fully Twin Peaks as the original series - well worth the journey.

Of the many actors playing new characters, Naomi Watts is fantastic throughout the season, as is Robert Forster.

I agree with R1 that Piper Laurie was much missed, and I wish Sherilyn Fenn had been given more to do. But I wouldn't trade those for what we got from other returning cast, especially Michael Horse (Hawk) and Wendy Robie (Nadine).

by Anonymousreply 2September 8, 2024 2:34 AM

No but the videos people did coming up with theories are brilliant. It’s basically an 18-episode Lynch wankfest.

by Anonymousreply 3September 8, 2024 2:45 AM

I don’t even think Lynch knows what the point of his work is half the time.

by Anonymousreply 4September 8, 2024 2:45 AM

Do you have to see the original first? Ive seen episodes and know the general outline.

by Anonymousreply 5September 8, 2024 2:45 AM

Fire walk with me scared the FUCK out of me

by Anonymousreply 6September 8, 2024 2:52 AM

People who like Lynch even a little bit seem to completely lose the capacity to criticize anything about him at ALL. It’s hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 7September 8, 2024 3:01 AM

Most of season two was padding. Most of the Return was padding. I guess it comes down to whether you like lame soapy padding from nobodies hired by Mark Frost, or if you want lame Lynchian nonsense padding (plus 15 minutes of credits and musical guests to round out the runtime for every episode).

by Anonymousreply 8September 8, 2024 3:09 AM

I think the Return is better and was a far more exciting and impactful watch. But I don't think I would get much out of rewatching it - whereas the first season of Twin Peaks is something I will now and then.

by Anonymousreply 9September 8, 2024 4:26 AM

I wonder what it has been like had Lynch not directed, which almost happened when Showtime wouldn’t give him the money he was asking for. How much of the show is written by Frost vs Lynch, I wonder. I loved it when it was a soap opera, not an art film.

by Anonymousreply 10September 8, 2024 5:14 AM

I have a 3½ hour extended fanedit of Fire Walk with Me that basically restores nearly all of the deleted scenes. I think it's a little better than the original because it gives a more complete picture of Laura's last days on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 11September 8, 2024 5:55 AM

I didn’t like it as much as the original show, but it was worth watching and I’m glad it exists. It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, so I’m missing a lot, but what I liked/disliked:

Good parts: I loved Robert Forster as the other Sheriff Truman. Great choice. And I liked that they didn’t kill Harry off since his actor didn’t want to return. They kept him a part of the show without actually being there- thumbs up.

Loved seeing the old crew again- Big Ed, Nadine, Hawk, Ben Horne, Log Lady, Bobby, etc. Bobby’s emotional reaction after hearing Laura’s diary entry was one of the best parts of all three seasons.

I enjoyed that weird episode that was all about how that little ball was formed. Bizarre shit.

Laura Dern made perfect sense as Diane. Matthew Lillard was good. Trent Reznor!

Didn’t like: that we only got two and a half episodes of the Cooper we know and love, the rest was Dougie. Kyle McLachlan did a great job, but I wanted Dale.

Hated how Audrey ended up. She got blown up in the bank, r*ped by evil Dale when she was in a coma, had a soulless evil kid, was in an unhappy marriage and was miserable. She was such a great character and deserved better.

Small thing, but I was disappointed Dale didn’t say anything to Albert once he came back to himself. The kid with the green hand got way more attention than one of Dale’s oldest friends. Boo. (I really liked Albert for some reason).

What was the point of Balthazar Getty’s character? I forgot what happened to him.

I wasn’t expecting a happy ending, so I’m not super bummed it didn’t end with Cooper surrounded by all his friends in a group hug. At least he got out of the black lodge. Wherever he is in time, he’s back in the real world.

I enjoyed this a lot more than the middle episodes of season 2 where it just meandered for like six episodes and nothing important happened. That was painful. James and the cheating wife, Ben and his Civil War obsession, Lucy and her two beaus? Painful.

by Anonymousreply 12September 8, 2024 5:55 AM

I liked The Return but it felt a little too "removed" from the original series, at times, for me. But I like most of Lynch's work, and it was well made. It is better than most of Season 2 which just got very messy, although the presence of many of the original cast in Season 2 makes me feel more like rewatching that than The Return.

by Anonymousreply 13September 8, 2024 7:27 AM

Laura's death over time gradually turns the zany and eccentric Twin Peaks into a dark and disturbing world. Granted that was already beginning to happen in the week before she was murdered but halfway through season two the darkness has pretty much taken over completely. The evil that killed Laura and the widespread grief and trauma resulting from it spread like wildfire.

by Anonymousreply 14September 8, 2024 9:49 AM

When ever It hink f the DL I think of this scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 8, 2024 12:17 PM

Pretty sure Getty had one scene, R12? They were introducing new characters almost until the final episode, it was ridiculous. It seemed obvious to me that Lynch bullied his way into the most episodes and money and creative control possible and then either had writers block or just didn’t care.

by Anonymousreply 16September 8, 2024 12:20 PM

The Return was, at times- deeply moving, fascinating, frustrating, interesting, ridiculous, triumphant and a failure. Narrative and plot are not Lynch’s thing, but at least there was some closure on a couple of characters/stories.

by Anonymousreply 17September 8, 2024 2:01 PM

I thought it was a jumbled mess that made no sense. Random characters and plots that went nowhere. It was fun to see many of the original characters though, even if they were dinosaurs. And it lacked the humor of the ABC seasons. It just felt like a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 18September 8, 2024 2:07 PM

SCARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 8, 2024 2:26 PM

I was hoping that somehow Josie would get out of being a drawer knob. Wtf was that?

At least Ed and Norma got a happy ending. And Nadine and her gold shovel seemed to be in a good place.

by Anonymousreply 20September 8, 2024 2:47 PM

I'm relatively indifferent about the original Twin Peaks, but I LOVE The Return. I think it's an amazing piece of work, probably the best thing Lynch has done (in my opinion).

by Anonymousreply 21September 8, 2024 2:47 PM

Especially the musical guests!!

by Anonymousreply 22September 8, 2024 2:59 PM

R22 this one by Eddy Vedder is one of my favorites

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 9, 2024 3:29 AM

[quote]R12: What was the point of Balthazar Getty’s character? I forgot what happened to him.

Lynch likes to reuse actors who haven't burned bridges with him. Getty was one of the stars of Lynch's 'Lost Highway' (1997), so of course there was a place for him in 'The Return,' whether it made sense for him to be there or not.

One of my greatest disappointments with 'The Return' is that Michael J. Anderson, the dancing dwarf, lost his goddamned mind and became a MAGAt, and refused to have anything to do with the project. AFAIK, none of that is Lynch's fault.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 9, 2024 5:56 AM

^thats good b/c I remember him saying some pretty off the wall shit about Lynch and I didn’t think it was true.

It would’ve been better if Anderson was in it, but oh well.

by Anonymousreply 25September 12, 2024 10:07 PM

No. It had cool moments. Part 8 was cool. None of the freshness and excitement of the original. More specifically the first season, yes.

by Anonymousreply 26September 12, 2024 10:27 PM

I quickly gave up on The Return. It felt as if he had ratcheted up the bizarre-gross-out levels to keep himself amused.

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2024 1:26 AM

If they do somehow do a 4th season they should just recast Kimmy Robertson who plays Lucy with Carol Kane.

by Anonymousreply 28September 13, 2024 2:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!