Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joel Hodgson vs. Mike Nelson on MST3K

Which was hotter? Which was funnier?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 9, 2024 11:34 AM

Joel was funnier - Mike had thick dick face.

by Anonymousreply 1September 7, 2024 10:33 PM

Great poll.

by Anonymousreply 2September 7, 2024 10:34 PM

Joel. Funnier AND hotter.

Couldn't stand the replacement, and quit watching when he took over.

by Anonymousreply 3September 7, 2024 10:37 PM

I’d say Joel for both, but considering Mike Nelson is a Trumper, that kind of factors in.

by Anonymousreply 4September 7, 2024 10:37 PM

Mike. Mike wrote the show from the beginning. He was head writer. What came out of Joel’s mouth he was writing.

by Anonymousreply 5September 7, 2024 10:41 PM

Mike was clearly hotter, but Joel seems much more the right host for the show, much more nerd appeal.

by Anonymousreply 6September 7, 2024 10:41 PM

Joel created the show. When it debuted in 1988 he was head writer with Trace Beaulieu, Jim Mallon, and Elvis Weinstock. Mike was hired in 1990.

by Anonymousreply 7September 7, 2024 10:45 PM

Joel was like your gentle, perpetually stoned, gentle friend who makes you laugh in private and lets you suck his dick.

Mike was the bitchy queen who can fuck you like a jackhammer when he's in the right mood, but who makes fun of you behind your back to everyone else.

You'd dump Joel for Mike, but then you'd quickly regret it.

by Anonymousreply 8September 7, 2024 10:49 PM

Maybe I'm biased because I met Mike and we had nice interactions on more than one occasion, but he's my choice for both. Joel's passive more gentle approach to the comedy just didn't suit me as well (though I give him due credit for originating the concept).

by Anonymousreply 9September 7, 2024 11:19 PM

Nelson for sure

by Anonymousreply 10September 7, 2024 11:57 PM

Ha! I'm watching it now.

I love them both, but Mike was clearly hotter.

by Anonymousreply 11September 7, 2024 11:59 PM

Joel reminds one of Girth Brooks

by Anonymousreply 12September 8, 2024 3:45 AM

I am more attracted to Joel.

R8, that fucking rings so true, ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 13September 8, 2024 4:00 AM

While there are many hysterical episodes from the Mike years, I'll always prefer Joel, partly because of the shady way Mike and others teamed up to force Joel out.

Shout Factory has been streaming continuous episodes of Cinematic Titanic for the last week, and I've been watching quite a bit of that. I think those shows were the funniest things they've ever done.

by Anonymousreply 14September 8, 2024 8:33 AM

Joel for both

by Anonymousreply 15September 8, 2024 8:42 AM

Knowing that Mike is a Trurmper forces me to completely reevaluate him, and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 16September 8, 2024 8:59 AM

Joel's humor was wittier and smarter. I don't dislike Mike's humor or the less sophisticated humor of Rifftrax, but Joel was the damn man.

by Anonymousreply 17September 8, 2024 9:11 AM

I met Joel and an event and he was so sweet. His eyes are pretty bedroomy too and he didn't get fat like Mike

by Anonymousreply 18September 8, 2024 10:17 AM

Prefer Joel. Mike was actually too conventionally good-looking for the comedy to work 100%

Joel looked like the kind of doofy guy who would invent random shit.

by Anonymousreply 19September 8, 2024 10:46 AM

Team Joel

by Anonymousreply 20September 8, 2024 11:22 AM

Joel all the way

by Anonymousreply 21September 8, 2024 1:05 PM

The first couple of years with Mike as host were more enjoyable than the Joel years, but primarily it was because overall the episodes were funnier - or maybe the movies they showed were easier targets of ridicule. Plus Mike (at the time) was more attractive than Joel. Even prior to that, when Joel was host, I enjoyed Mike's segments (like the Morrissey one I linked below) because they were so enjoyably silly.

On the other hand, Mike is really, REALLY Christian. And he got fat - or at least he has a case of fat face.

Several years ago I saw Cinematic Titanic live with Joel (who's aged a whole lot better than Mike) and I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

In the words of R8, "You'd dump Joel for Mike, but then you'd quickly regret it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 8, 2024 2:16 PM

Good? He's THE BEST!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 8, 2024 3:11 PM

I've heard that Joel is one of those people who are a great friend but a terrible boss.

by Anonymousreply 24September 8, 2024 4:57 PM

Joel ruined the show in the end.

by Anonymousreply 25September 8, 2024 5:04 PM

[quote] Joel ruined the show in the end.

Why do you say that? The show was funny during all of Joel’s run, with his last episode, Mitchell, an all time best.

by Anonymousreply 26September 8, 2024 5:17 PM

Hearts pounding, veins clogging.......MITCHELL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 27September 8, 2024 6:12 PM

I'm always surprised it's not Joel who is the one who is now super-Christian, since he had an Evangelical upbringing in Wisconsin and went to Bethel College in the Twin Cities, which is basically a Bible college.

by Anonymousreply 28September 8, 2024 6:34 PM

I always wanted to suck Mike off in his jumpsuit.

by Anonymousreply 29September 9, 2024 11:13 AM

Joel, without a second thought. Mike was so bland-looking -- like he should be hosting the weather on a local Minnesota newscast. And the Joel years were much funnier. Don't even get me started on the Pearl Years.

by Anonymousreply 30September 9, 2024 11:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!