Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Serious request!

DL, please help me build my library!

I have tons of space for books, due to built-in book shelves, & would like a formidable library.

I’ve read most of the American classics, however, not all, so please feel free to suggest your favorites from that category as well. English literature is absolutely welcomed, so please go ahead & recommend as many as possible.

All categories welcomed, including books originally written & published in foreign languages. Books written & published in Spanish are also desired, as I completely fluent in the language.

Books focused on non-fictional history are fantastic, so I’d appreciate recommendations in this particular genre, too.

No need for religious literature, as I am an Atheist. Same with self help books. I absolutely appreciate self help books, yet those are books I self-suggest, as one does. I do understand that religion is a HUGE part of history, so if a religious suggestion is a book that depicts how a particular religious movement or cult affected PROVEN historical events, then those are OK.

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2024 6:00 AM

Here is great place to browse online for great books:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 7, 2024 4:30 PM

Also:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 7, 2024 4:31 PM

Do you have the entire collection of The Hardy Boys?

by Anonymousreply 3September 7, 2024 4:32 PM

OP, are you Donald Trump trolling libtards for burnable book suggestions?

Sounds like it.

by Anonymousreply 4September 7, 2024 4:35 PM

R3 - Nancy Drew is "where it's at"! Check out The Bungalow Mystery, wherein Nancy's lawyer father, Carson Drew, advises Nancy and her friends to "Watch out for any stray, flying bullets" during a car chase.

by Anonymousreply 5September 7, 2024 4:36 PM

As a former librarian, I would say well-written autobiographies and biographies of those you admire (US politicians, celebrities, athletes, world leaders, etc.) is a good place to start. Devote a shelf or two to those books (and you don't need ten bios on one person - just one or two will do). Go on from there to other subjects which interest you.

But please make certain that the library you build is for your own enjoyment and/ or education on a certain subject (say, The Holocaust) - not to impress visitors to your home when they peruse the titles. I've been a visitor in so many homes with the 'impressive titles' lining the shelves, and I know damn well the homeowner and the family members have never opened the books.

by Anonymousreply 6September 7, 2024 4:36 PM

R6 - Great response! Speaking of "books never read", one of things I love most about the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC is that George Vanderbilt *actually read* all the books in his magnificent library!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 7, 2024 4:40 PM

Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald. Best book I ever read.

by Anonymousreply 8September 7, 2024 5:17 PM

Books are SO decorative!

by Anonymousreply 9September 7, 2024 5:27 PM

If you enjoy Tudor era Britain, I loved "Young and Damned and Fair: The Life of Catherine Howard, Fifth Wife of King Henry VIII".

It is very well-researched and densely written, but I totally enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 10September 7, 2024 5:43 PM

The complete works of Willa Cather—seriously

by Anonymousreply 11September 8, 2024 1:29 AM

Necessary for any gay man's library.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 8, 2024 1:43 AM

I strongly recommend the novels of Trollope and Balzac. Very different, but both fascinating, entertaining, and underrated.

by Anonymousreply 13September 8, 2024 2:04 AM

I've always thought it would be interesting to have every Pulitzer Prize winning book in a personal library collection, not only for the reading value, but the longer view on how trends in literature have changed over time.

You could also substitute Booker and Hugo awards, as well, depending on your tastes.

by Anonymousreply 14September 8, 2024 2:40 AM

The Beans of Egypt Maine was one of my favorite novels for years.

by Anonymousreply 15September 8, 2024 2:55 AM

Dorothy Parker...Guy de Maupassant....Anita Loos...

by Anonymousreply 16September 8, 2024 3:01 AM

Another vote for Trollope and Balzac, eclipsed outside of their native lands by Dickens and Zola, respectively (not that they aren't also worthy of attention). Nearly any Russian novel written between the late 19th Century and the WWII period will be of some interest. Don't ignore Soviet writers because they were Soviet. Edith Wharton, Henry James, Shirley Jackson, Booth Tarkington and William Faulkner are, for me, the essential Americans. Italian literature between the wars was fascinating. Chekov, Bulgakov, Nabokov, Nathaniel West, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, all have much to offer. Check out African folk tales, Japanese ghost stories and the writings of Poe, Lovecraft, Dunsany and Chambers.

In terms of other subjects, Iranian, Indian, Italian, French, American, German, Latin American and Spanish architecture are my chief non-fiction interests along with global urbanism and landscape design.

by Anonymousreply 17September 8, 2024 4:18 AM

Borges

by Anonymousreply 18September 8, 2024 4:28 AM

The Complete Stories, Flannery O'Connor. Really economical and masterful in her writing.

by Anonymousreply 19September 8, 2024 4:29 AM

Consider Spanish language poets such as

Pablo Neruda

Antonio Machado

Jorge Luis Borges (such a strong influence on contemporary philosophy: Derrida, hyperrealism, and all that)

Juana de Ibarbourou (popular Uruguayan poet)

Juan Ramón Jiménez (Nobel Prize winner, a lovely children's book Platero y Yo, just lyrical, Spanish as it should be written.)

Federico García Lorca (greatest of all, according to some)

You may also try reading the lyrics of tangos - start with Carlos Gardel

by Anonymousreply 20September 8, 2024 4:31 AM

OP-- be sure to also check out the 200+-post "What Books Are You Currently Reading?" thread right here on DL. You'll find lots of good suggestions there.

by Anonymousreply 21September 8, 2024 4:38 AM

There are multiple threads for every year, going back to 2020. Here's the first one for this year:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 8, 2024 4:40 AM

"The Journey of the Flame" by Walter Nordhoff. You will be entranced. You never read anything like this story. The synopsis is bland compared to the actual content of the story, can't recommend enough.

Amazon synopsis: On the eve of his 104th birthday, Don Juan Obrigon-tall and straight, with hair still flaming red-prepares to tell his life story to assembled relatives and guests. The story he will tell describes his travels as a boy of twelve in 1810, when he accompanied the Spanish viceroy of Baja California from the southern tip of Baja California to Monterey.

by Anonymousreply 23September 8, 2024 5:14 AM

The Norwegian Book Club published a list of the 100 best books, as judged by a variety of authors they surveyed. It's a great list, covering time and space. Just google it.

by Anonymousreply 24September 8, 2024 11:31 AM

R17: Balzac wrote "Cousin Bette" with Dataloungers as the target audience.

by Anonymousreply 25September 8, 2024 12:26 PM

Two other great Balzac novels: Cousin Pons and Pere Goriot.

by Anonymousreply 26September 8, 2024 1:44 PM

I find it interesting to look up authors who were very popular in their day, best sellers and Pulitzer Prize winners, but who are relatively forgotten now.

by Anonymousreply 27September 8, 2024 4:11 PM

TSUNDOKU, a Japanese word meaning “acquiring books and letting them pile up without reading them”

by Anonymousreply 28September 8, 2024 4:19 PM

DL, thanks so much for your suggestions!

I plan on purchasing one book at a time, and/or checking books out from my local library.

I’ve never been one to purchase books & not read them. I’ve purchased 2 recently, & will complete each one before purchasing another. A personal takes time to build, so please know I’m not interested in purchasing a bunch of books just for the hell of it.

Thanks again! 😊

by Anonymousreply 29September 11, 2024 2:15 PM

^ Correction:

“A personal library takes time to build”

by Anonymousreply 30September 11, 2024 2:17 PM

Try reading some Balzac and Zola. Fantastic authors!

by Anonymousreply 31September 11, 2024 3:15 PM

Lord, at least R31 didn't suggest Hugo, but, really.

by Anonymousreply 32September 11, 2024 5:10 PM

[quote] I've never been one to purchase books & not read them. I've purchased two recently, & will complete each one before buying another. A personal library takes time to build [/quote]

OP, I'm delighted to hear this. I assume you don't organize your books by color, either.

by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2024 5:42 AM

OP, just be mindful of the fact that someone will have to deal with / dispose of these books after your death. I just assume you're childless.

Good luck building your personal library!

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2024 5:55 AM

R34, his heirs can contact Fahrenheit 451 for book disposal needs.

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2024 6:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!