Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Selena Gomez becomes one of the youngest self-made female billionaires

Selena Gomez has just hit a major milestone, becoming one of the youngest female self-made billionaires in the country—thanks to her wildly successful beauty brand, Rare Beauty.

Launched just five years ago, Rare Beauty has taken the beauty world by storm, capturing the hearts of influencers and teens alike, all thanks to Selena's massive clout. With a jaw-dropping 424 million Instagram followers, it’s no wonder her brand is a hit.

But it’s not just her beauty empire that’s stacking her bank account. Selena Gomez’s also been cashing in on brand deals, her mental health startup Wondermind, and her Emmy-nominated role in “Only Murders In The Building."

At just 32, Selena's net worth is a staggering $1.3 billion, with the bulk of it coming from Rare Beauty. Bloomberg is now recognizing her for the first time on its Billionaires Index.

Only a handful of women are in the self-made billionaire club, and Selena is now in elite company, joining her friend Taylor Swift.

While Taylor reached billionaire status primarily through her music and touring, Selena has amassed her fortune through a diverse range of businesses, her acting and singing, and her massive social media following.

“Selena is not just a pop star,” Stacy Jones, founder and chief executive officer of Hollywood Branded, a Los Angeles-based branding agency, said, per Bloomberg. “She’s a multifaceted businesswoman with diverse income streams contributing to her impressive net worth.”

The majority of Selena Gomez’s fortune is tied to her beauty empire, Rare Beauty Brands Inc., which she launched five years ago and has quickly become a sensation among influencers and makeup-loving teens.

She’s managed to keep Rare Beauty mostly independent, with only a few big names investing in her beauty empire, including Nikki Eslami’s New Theory Ventures and CEO Scott Friedman, who previously led Nyx Cosmetics before selling it to L’Oréal for $500 million in 2014.

Brent Saunders, CEO of Bausch + Lomb and a key investor in Selena's mental health startup, Wondermind, says the secret to Selena’s success is her authenticity. “You’ve got a real role model of how a celebrity can use their influence and expertise to both do good and create good business,” Saunders said. “Selena epitomizes that.”

In 2023, Rare Beauty raised over $7 million, reached more than 1 million people, and made waves across five continents.

“I really tried my hardest to create a product that were beyond just me putting my name on something,” Selena said in a radio interview last year. “I wanted the products to be great, and I also wanted the message to be that makeup is meant to be fun.”

The vision of Rare Beauty is "to create a safe, welcoming space in beauty—and beyond—that supports mental well-being across age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, cultural background, physical or mental ability, and perspective."

“Being rare is about being comfortable with yourself," Selena admitted. "I've stopped trying to be perfect. I just want to be me.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 8, 2024 7:01 AM

Poor Justin Bieber.

He could have married a billionaire.

Instead, he got a ratchet Baldwin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 7, 2024 1:42 AM

Justin and Selena were such a cute couple.

Why did they break up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 7, 2024 1:45 AM

Mein Fuhrer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 7, 2024 1:48 AM

This just seems so odd and funny. I can't imagine ever picking her as the celebrity most likely to be a billionaire.

But at the same time, she seems like an overall decent person and there are many, many other celebrities who just seem so much worse as people that, well, good for her I guess.

by Anonymousreply 4September 7, 2024 1:49 AM

I like her because she works hard.

by Anonymousreply 5September 7, 2024 1:53 AM

They would have had the cutest kids.

Bieber always looked happy with Selena.

And yet, he always looks miserable with Hailey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 7, 2024 1:56 AM

[quote] Gomez was born when her mother was 16 years old.

[quote] The family had financial troubles throughout Gomez's childhood, her mother struggling to provide for the pair. At one point, Gomez recalls that they had to search for quarters just to get gas for their car. Her mother later recalled that the two would frequently walk to their local dollar store to buy spaghetti for dinner.

[quote] Gomez has said, "I was frustrated that my parents weren't together, and never saw the light at the end of the tunnel where my mom was working hard to provide a better life for me. I'm terrified of what I would have become if I'd stayed [in Texas]."

[quote] She later added that her mother "was really strong around me. Having me at 16 had to have been a big responsibility. She gave up everything for me, had three jobs, supported me, sacrificed her life for me."

This makes her billionaire status even more incredible.

Good for her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 7, 2024 2:01 AM

Bullshit - this is the same crap about Kylie Jenner being a billionaire.

A billion in sales or even market valuation versus a billion in profits (after taxes) are two WILDLY different things.

And all she did was put her name on it - she doesn't even own a majority. The people ACTUALLY making the product, marketing it, etc. are the recipients.

She just gets a percentage because her name sells it. Stupid people will accept any PR piece put in front of them.

by Anonymousreply 8September 7, 2024 2:01 AM

She could buy and sell R8’s nasty ass a billion times over.

by Anonymousreply 9September 7, 2024 2:05 AM

^^^^

Hater.

by Anonymousreply 10September 7, 2024 2:06 AM

If you ask me it doesn't reflect well on Gen Z that they're so insecure and susceptible that they ALL have to buy some absurd beauty products because Selina Gomez has her name on them. I don't blame her for doing it, but I do blame them for being such lemmings. (And of course it's the same thing with Taylor Swift's record sales.)

by Anonymousreply 11September 7, 2024 3:20 AM

Well the whole influencer thing is silly, but come on, it ain't exactly new.

We've been advertising, which is to say huckstering and bullshitting each other, for centuries in this silly country. Most people buy stupid shit for stupid reasons, and at least since the 1920s it's been a heavily organized and heavily indoctrinated process, including of course idiotic celebrity endorsements.

by Anonymousreply 12September 7, 2024 3:27 AM

A rich cockroach is still a cockroach.

by Anonymousreply 13September 7, 2024 3:36 AM

And a rich Putin is still a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 14September 7, 2024 3:43 AM

She is extravagantly untalented.

by Anonymousreply 15September 7, 2024 3:44 AM

Meghan Markle is fuming at this news and Harry is hiding under the table.

by Anonymousreply 16September 7, 2024 3:48 AM

No wonder Justin Biebers useless wife hates her.

by Anonymousreply 17September 7, 2024 3:48 AM

She’s very cute. That’s literally all I know about her. Never seen anything she’s ever been in.

by Anonymousreply 18September 7, 2024 3:53 AM

She's currently starring in Hulu's "Only Murders in the Building" with Steve Martin and Martin Short.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 7, 2024 3:57 AM

"If you ask me it doesn't reflect well on Gen Z that they're so insecure and susceptible that they ALL have to buy some absurd beauty products because Selina Gomez has her name on them."

Because millennials, Boomers, gen Xers, never ever bought a product that was endorsed by a celebrity...NEVER!

by Anonymousreply 20September 7, 2024 3:57 AM

Why hasn't JLo been able to reach this level of wealth, at her age? I remember her sunglasses line, cosmetics line (which I thought she still had) and perfumes. She also has a massive SM following. She's only worth $400 million.

by Anonymousreply 21September 7, 2024 1:43 PM

R21 - because Selena is not an actual billionaire. It's a puff piece to promote her products - just like the Kylie Jenner billionaire bullshit.

Selena has a good amount of wealth - probably close to $100 million - but idiots think that a market evaluation of $1 billion or $1 billion in sales = billionaire. All she did was lend out her name to a cosmetic company to make second grade crap cosmetics they could sell for a premium because of her name.

People are dumb. Particularly R9.

Check out her beauty product website - www.rarebeauty.com - it's a mess. The logo goes over the menu options, the first image just flashes a woman over and over. This is not a website of a billion-dollar product. It's an embarrassment.

This is paid PR piece - most people don't know how these 'lists' are created. You pay to be on there or there's some other quid pro quo.

by Anonymousreply 22September 7, 2024 4:36 PM

[quote]Because millennials, Boomers, gen Xers, never ever bought a product that was endorsed by a celebrity...NEVER!

Of course they did, but never ever on the scale that Gen Zers do.

by Anonymousreply 23September 7, 2024 11:40 PM

Yeah, wouldn't want to see an actual study of that r23.

People buy stupid even more than they vote stupid. It's been that way a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 24September 7, 2024 11:46 PM

I feel like there’s an honesty and realness to her that people connect with, more so than other celebrities of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 25September 7, 2024 11:50 PM

I like her voice.

by Anonymousreply 26September 8, 2024 3:48 AM

I agree r25 I hate her music but I find her a lot less grating as a person than most celebrities

by Anonymousreply 27September 8, 2024 6:55 AM

She can’t sing, act or dance (have you seen her try to move?) yet here we are.

by Anonymousreply 28September 8, 2024 7:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!