Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Battlestar Galactica- Original Introduction 1978

The narrators voice sounds rather homosexual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 7, 2024 6:44 AM

Isn't that Patrick Macnee? Not gay, but British.

by Anonymousreply 1September 6, 2024 10:15 PM

We loved this as kids I even have the book and a plastic space ship, still. I love how the computer interface is a ticker tape that they read out to each other. I want that for my home.

by Anonymousreply 2September 6, 2024 10:23 PM

It is Patrick Macnee, R1. He also voiced the Imperious Leader & guest-starred in the two-part Season 1 finale. Loved that fucking show! (Galactica 1980, however, was awful)

by Anonymousreply 3September 6, 2024 10:27 PM

R2- I watched this show in Junior High School in 1978/79 and thought this was a better show than Buck Rogers In The 25th Century which was went on the air a year later.

Some may disagree but I watched and really enjoyed Galactica 1980 when that went on the air about a year and half later.

by Anonymousreply 4September 6, 2024 10:29 PM

Apparently the studio wanted to do another reboot of the show. But Peacock shows no longer interest. Good. Maybe it's just a question of definition. A reboot of the remake may work. But I would not want yet another remake.

by Anonymousreply 5September 6, 2024 10:39 PM

I didn't especially hear a gay voice. I heard an overly dramatic British voice.

by Anonymousreply 6September 6, 2024 11:51 PM

R5- Like someone in the youtube comments said- It's not a NBC classic because when it was on the air in 1978/79 it was on ABC not NBC.

by Anonymousreply 7September 6, 2024 11:58 PM

R2 my bad I was thinking of space 1999.

by Anonymousreply 8September 7, 2024 12:11 AM

I was the perfect age for the original Battlestar Galactics, having been thrilled by Star Wars and after seeing Buck Rogers in 25th Century in a movie theatre.

As a kid, I loved the Egyptian imagery used in the TV show and how the dialogue had words/terminology that wasn't "english" as I knew it, but understood.

Unfortunately, the program didn't have a long life, but man, when the show premiered, it was so exciting!

And yea, it premiered on ABC.

by Anonymousreply 9September 7, 2024 12:21 AM

[quote]Like someone in the youtube comments said- It's not a NBC classic because when it was on the air in 1978/79 it was on ABC not NBC.

Yeah, an ABC show. It was touted widely as part of ABC's new 1978-79 schedule. ABC invested a lot of money in advertising and in special effects.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, however, was an NBC show. Got much less money for special effects and for promotion, but lasted 13 episodes longer than Battlestar did.

Glen Larson Productions at Universal Studios was the production company behind both series, which explains how Battlestar Galactica is now mistakenly associated with NBC.

by Anonymousreply 10September 7, 2024 12:22 AM

Oh and Gil Gerard/Buck Rogers... was he or was it Lee Majors that is responsible for my love of men with hairy chests?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 7, 2024 12:25 AM

‘Battlestar Galactica’ Reboot No Longer In Development At Peacock, Will Be Shopped

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 7, 2024 12:35 AM

The Sunday night that Battlestar Galactica debuted on ABC -- Sept. 17, 1978 -- is the same night that Egypt and Israel signed peace accord at Camp David,

Egyptian President Anwar Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin signed it after Jimmy Carter helped negotiate the deal.

As a result, ABC broke into the airing of Battlestar about an hour and 20 minutes into the 2-hour debut to show the peace treaty being signed. The interruption lasted for about 10 minutes on the East Coast, where I was growing up.

You knew this was a huge event because the networks NEVER interrupt a primetime show except for the most major of events. Daytime TV, they'll interrupt a show if someone official sneezes, but not primetime.

While it may have been a historic event, all I knew as a kid was that I was PISSED off at having this movie I was totally into interrupted. It really killed the momentum for me. I watched the rest of the pilot when they resumed it in about 10 minutes, but somehow my enthusiasm was diminished by this interruption. I never really got completely back into that debut episode. To me, the mojo for the series was killed by the interruption.

I suspect many others watching on the East Coast had a similar reaction to mine. That may have contributed to the series never finding the audience it deserved.

by Anonymousreply 13September 7, 2024 12:40 AM

Richard Hatch turned me gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 7, 2024 1:20 AM

[quote]Richard Hatch turned me gay.

It was Dirk Benedict for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 7, 2024 1:24 AM

R14- At the same time I think Richard Hatch WAS gay.

by Anonymousreply 16September 7, 2024 1:24 AM

They definitely took the prize for "Dreamiest Co-Stars"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 7, 2024 1:33 AM

Remember their Triad uniforms? (it was sort of a combination of rugby & basketball)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 7, 2024 1:43 AM

]quote]Richard Hatch turned me gay.

Cosign. He was my first celebrity crush. So much more handsome than Dirk Benedict.

I watched reruns of [italic]The Streets of San Francisco[/italic] in which Hatch co-starred the last year of its run (after Michael Douglas left) with my father, who cheered with me when it was an episode with him. I don't think he ever connected those dots.

by Anonymousreply 19September 7, 2024 1:52 AM

The reboot of this show is probably one of the best things that has ever been produced. Who would have guessed?

by Anonymousreply 20September 7, 2024 2:06 AM

R20- Galactica 1980?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 7, 2024 2:09 AM

No R21 the 2004 version.

by Anonymousreply 22September 7, 2024 2:40 AM

Agreed. The reboot is some of the best television in any category ever made.

It was sweet of Ron Moore to give Richard Hatch a role in the reboot as Tom Zarek.

by Anonymousreply 23September 7, 2024 2:44 AM

I love the reboot so much but not sure I can sit through it again. It was too emotional. The President, the cylons, the drama, it was all perfect. "JUMP!"

by Anonymousreply 24September 7, 2024 2:58 AM

I know it's unpopular on this thread but I prefer the original disco-ish 1978/79 Battle Star Galactica.

Even MORE unpopular- I also liked Galactica 1980 when I watched it back in the winter/spring of 1980.

by Anonymousreply 25September 7, 2024 3:23 AM

There’s a YouTuber named Rowan Coleman who does these fascinating, exhaustive rundowns of these old sci-fi shows. I’ve gone through several already. Funny enough I just watched this exact one about the OG BSG a week or two ago.

I remember the reruns of the original BSG my dad would put on in the 80s. And as for the 2004 reboot, I finally got around to watching it around 2011 after it concluded and I was blown away by it. It will remain one of my all time favorite series.

Coleman’s expansive videos on Star Trek are also fascinating and worth a watch, if you’re also fond of Trek.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 7, 2024 3:32 AM

I hope someone will do a remake of Space 1999. The show wasn't that well written, acted or directed. But the concept was really interesting. It has potential. Obviously the show would need to have a different name, Space 2199 perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 27September 7, 2024 5:05 AM

[quote]R3: It is Patrick Macnee, R1. He also voiced the Imperious Leader & guest-starred in the two-part Season 1 finale.

The role in which he 'guest-starred' was Count Iblis, BG's version of the Devil. That the Cylon Imperious Leader had his voice was implied to be of significance. And it's interesting that Iblis is also the narrative voice beginning the series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 7, 2024 6:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 7, 2024 6:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!