Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are the GREAT songs from forgotten or under-appreciated Broadway / West End / Off-Broadway shows?

If you have a YouTube link, please remember to put the name of the song as Muriel is too cheap to fix the bug that prevents a YouTube preview pic from being displayed.

I’ll start with “Since You Stayed Here” from Brownstone. Bette Midler beautifully covered this in a mashup with “He Was Too Good To Me” on one of her albums. I’m linking to Liz Callaway’s version below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 8, 2024 3:09 AM

Here is Shirley Booth singing "He Had Refinement" from "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", which was a great book, but a crummy Broadway play. (They focused on the parents and practically left the main character from the book, Francie, out.)

Elaine Stritch also does a fun version of this, but I thought I'd link to the original. The sound is a little muffled but not too bad if you turn it up. It's a slight, but clever and charming little number that deserved a better play to show it off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2024 1:41 AM

OP, I forgot to add that I really enjoyed the song you posted!

by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2024 1:43 AM

"First You Dream" from Steel Pier. I would sing this at an audition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 5, 2024 4:03 AM

The late, great Alice Playten singing the show-stopping "Nobody Steps on Kafritz" from HENRY, SWEET HENRY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 5, 2024 4:28 AM

Corduroy Road from Wildcat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 5, 2024 4:30 AM

The long since cut “Belle the Sleeping Car” from the original Starlight Express. Back when the production had some innocence and charm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 5, 2024 4:38 AM

Op, that song is pretty enough, but it's like so many songs today with that wandering Disney-esque melody.

This is one of the greatest standards of all time, from the forgotten flop "Carnival in Flanders."

"Here's That Rainy Day",

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 5, 2024 4:47 AM

“This Bulging River” from the off-off Broadway show Red, White & Blaine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 5, 2024 4:48 AM

From the flop "All American"

One of my all time favorite songs, sung here by one of my all time favorite singers.

"Once Upon A Time"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 5, 2024 4:49 AM

Did You Close Your Eyes? from New Girl in Town

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 5, 2024 5:32 AM

R9 You beat me to it. This is one of my favorite songs too.

by Anonymousreply 11September 5, 2024 11:55 AM

The brilliant Karen Morrow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2024 12:43 PM

“I Have a Noble Cock” from Canterbury Tales

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2024 1:01 PM

Little Old New York from Tenderloin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2024 4:27 PM

This titular song is somewhat rousing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 7, 2024 11:50 PM

Love this thread, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 16September 8, 2024 12:06 AM

No one remembers "Golden Boy", but it gave us this nice little number:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 8, 2024 12:20 AM

And then there was "Golden Rainbow"....it was a failure but it did give us this big hit:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 8, 2024 12:41 AM

It also gave us this freewheeling patio number, r18...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 8, 2024 12:44 AM

"The Baker's Wife" was such a flop it closed out of town. But the score developed a cult following and there have been a number of revivals. I love this number:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 8, 2024 12:48 AM

R20 OMG that was wrenching.

by Anonymousreply 21September 8, 2024 12:59 AM

R21 After the death of my partner, I played that over and over.

by Anonymousreply 22September 8, 2024 1:09 AM

R22❤️

by Anonymousreply 23September 8, 2024 1:31 AM

Linda Lavin’s showstopper “You’ve Got Possibilities” from the 1966 flopperoo ‘It’s a Bird…It’s a Plane…’

by Anonymousreply 24September 8, 2024 1:31 AM

"Greenwillow" lasted only a couple of months but it gave us this great Frank Loesser number.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 8, 2024 1:46 AM

That is a fabulous number but the orchestration is overpowering. I like this version:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 8, 2024 2:25 AM

" Meadowlark" is the most popular and beautiful number from "The Baker's Wife," but not bellowed by Patti or this "singer."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 8, 2024 2:26 AM

"Mack and Mabel" lasted only two months. The show featured this achingly beautiful Jerry Herman tune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 8, 2024 2:35 AM

Where is the Warmth is the bookend song to Meadowlark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 8, 2024 2:49 AM

This is also from Mack&Mabel.

"Time Heals Everything"

It's shame B'way doesn't produce real songs anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 8, 2024 2:56 AM

Raunchy is the bookend song...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 8, 2024 3:08 AM

to Old Maid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 8, 2024 3:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!