Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joker: Folie à Deux reviews

Are not good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176October 4, 2024 7:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 4, 2024 6:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 4, 2024 6:01 PM

Uh o this spells two flops in a row for Phoenix. Napoleon also underperformed critically. The man is a great actor but after the latest stunt with the gay film he might be OVAH soon.

by Anonymousreply 3September 4, 2024 6:03 PM

I did not like Joaquin Phoenix in his role as “Joker”.

by Anonymousreply 4September 4, 2024 6:08 PM

Love this for both of those insufferable cunts.

by Anonymousreply 5September 4, 2024 6:12 PM

The incel contingent won't like this movie either. They like to play contrarian with the critics, especially when it comes to comic book movies, but doubt that will happen here given it's a musical.

by Anonymousreply 6September 4, 2024 7:46 PM

R3: I think his late brother was a superior actor and better looking too.

by Anonymousreply 7September 4, 2024 7:50 PM

I'll see it, it might be one of those 'so awful it's good' movies.

by Anonymousreply 8September 4, 2024 8:11 PM

Yay! Glad to hear it's not doing well in reviews.

I can't stand either of them.

by Anonymousreply 9September 4, 2024 8:19 PM

JFC, can’t they write a review without telling the whole story. They list every song snd even what they are wearing.

by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2024 8:20 PM

Wow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 4, 2024 8:22 PM

R5 What’s your beef with Gaga?

by Anonymousreply 12September 4, 2024 8:24 PM

R12 it's just the weird Madonna fans stuck in a time warp.

Hating Gaga is so 2012.

by Anonymousreply 13September 4, 2024 8:28 PM

Yet one of the articles I read today said that it had everyone's mouths hanging open by the end, and it was "daring" among other things. Who ARE these people in Venice who give 16 minute standing ovations?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 4, 2024 8:28 PM

To be clear, I'm talking about a standing ovation for another movie (Maria, I think?), but still.

by Anonymousreply 15September 4, 2024 8:35 PM

R14 reviews have been very mixed. There are some absolute raves. And some absolute pans.

Very similar to the first Joker, fwiw.

I think the only consistent critiques have been that Phoenix and Gaga were great.

by Anonymousreply 16September 4, 2024 8:36 PM

The preview I saw in the theater a week ago didn't make me want to see it. Just 2+ hours of ugliness, violence and negativity. Why?

by Anonymousreply 17September 4, 2024 8:37 PM

How is it similar to the first one? It's a goddamn musical...

by Anonymousreply 18September 4, 2024 8:38 PM

I related a lot to the joker character in this first one. Weird, lonely, stuck and emotionally damaged

by Anonymousreply 19September 4, 2024 10:09 PM

After the shitfests that were ASIB and House of Gucci, I have no wish to ever watch another Lady Gaga film.

by Anonymousreply 20September 4, 2024 10:13 PM

Yup, it’s a turd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2024 8:42 PM

Todd Phillips definitely sucks at sequels. “The Hangover” was brilliant and the sequels were horrible.

So it’s not a surprise to me this sucked too.

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2024 8:44 PM

Tired of sequels.

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2024 9:03 PM

R13, lol. It’s you who is in a time warp. You don’t have to be a Madonna fan to be turned off by Gaga. Aside from her obviously appropriating from Madonna, some of us are just unimpressed and turned off by her pretentiousness and her voice. I swear Madonna haters are far worse than Madonna lovers

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2024 10:05 PM

She was awful in ASIB and House of Gucci. I am done with her as an actress. I actually think she is Madonna level bad at acting.

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2024 11:15 PM

She really has always rubbed me the wrong way, so she's a non-starter for me in any movie.

by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2024 11:17 PM

She's too hideous to be an actress.

by Anonymousreply 27September 6, 2024 4:27 AM

Shocked that these two professional scene-chewers couldn't paste together a watchable movie. Let's blame his hairlip or her moustache.

by Anonymousreply 28September 6, 2024 5:01 AM

R It’s a jukebox musical. Yay. What songs are in it.

by Anonymousreply 29September 6, 2024 5:06 AM

There could be100 people who pan your movie…

by Anonymousreply 30September 6, 2024 5:17 AM

LOLOL R30

by Anonymousreply 31September 6, 2024 5:22 AM

I am the Earth Mother and it is a FLOP.

by Anonymousreply 32September 6, 2024 5:29 AM

Here is my issue with Gaga:

I do like her. I think she can be good. The problem is she wants to be great too soon. She was good in a Star is Born, but she already wants an Oscar for acting, on her first film, no less. She bites off more than she can chew, as an actress - accents, character work - which leaves her only to chew the scenery. She doesn’t quite yet have the chops for the roles she is given. You see her trying to make every scene important - you see the work.

Not everyone can be a natural like Andra Day and hit Billie Holiday out of the park your first go at it.

by Anonymousreply 33September 6, 2024 5:36 AM

She was good in A Star is Born ,six years ago, because she was acting a role she has probably lived before. She has experienced every beat of that movie in her life at some point. At that stage in her career, she should have selected more roles like that, closer to who she is and developed her chops. She’s not bad, she’s just not great in roles that require it.

I still love the scene in A Star is Born when she gets on the stage in front of a large audience for the first time. Out of all of the actors in the scene, who were pretending that they have been doing it for years, she is the only one of them who knows what it really feels like to perform in front of 10k people - yet she had to act as if it was her first time.

by Anonymousreply 34September 6, 2024 6:14 AM

[quote] you see the work.

And I can hear it: click-click-click.

by Anonymousreply 35September 6, 2024 6:50 AM

You see the work in her acting AND hear the work in her singing

by Anonymousreply 36September 6, 2024 9:28 PM

Why we hate Lady Fuckface.

The obscene display of pretentiousness.

[quote]“We made a galaxy of endless colors with only brief, black holes of emptiness that are then filled by each other.”

[quote]“We made love on this canvas on a Sunday in Chicago. We made love amidst chaos. We talked about shootings. We made love amidst terrorism. And we talked about how people’s hearts are suffering all over the world as they watch and witness a swell of violence. We made love amidst violence.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 6, 2024 9:43 PM

R37, thank you! Exactly!

by Anonymousreply 38September 6, 2024 9:45 PM

This quote is enough to despise her

[quote]I wouldn’t necessarily say that this is actually a musical in a lot of ways. It’s very different...The way that music is used is to really give the characters a way to express what they needed to say because saying it is not enough

Yeah, that's exactly what a musical is

by Anonymousreply 39September 6, 2024 9:47 PM

Apparently she sings at least one Nirvana song.

Essentially ripping off that last (actually good) Batman movie starring the Twilight guy.

by Anonymousreply 40September 6, 2024 9:49 PM

People liked her when she just sang and wore unusual outfits. Acting is just not her thing.

by Anonymousreply 41September 6, 2024 9:50 PM

AGREED r41! Just no no no. If she had it, we would have seen it by now. Waaaaaay overhyped on her acting. However, I usually enjoy her live vocals, she’s fun to watch as she’s the only Liza-esque performer right now.

by Anonymousreply 42September 7, 2024 12:35 AM

Outside of her Fandom, isn't she about a decade past her sell-by date?

by Anonymousreply 43September 7, 2024 12:46 AM

Lady HaHa cannot act. The reviews praising her are paid by her. I remember that horrible J-Lo movie from this summer praising her acting as Oscar worthy. All payola. Lady HaHa’s acting chops are payola. When I watched HOG I was infuriated how bad she was after being told how good she was. It’s not just her. Payola for praise is rampant in entertainment now.

This movie sounds fucking awful.

Lady HaHa fans are obsessed thinking anyone who hates her is a Madonna fan. They cannot fathom why so many despise this inorganic try hard cunt. She is pretentious to the nth degree. Nobody cares about her music career, so she payola’d everything on acting praise. She and her fans cannot live without the validation of awards. You can see how calculated she is because every single thing she does is done having an award in mind. She knows her fans are some of the weakest minded fragile beings on Earth who would abandon her if not for awards. She wasted how much time on this stinker thinking she was for sure getting an award. She also fucking ugly as hell.

by Anonymousreply 44September 7, 2024 12:55 AM

R44, you could’ve worked one more “payola” in your post.

by Anonymousreply 45September 7, 2024 1:10 AM

R45 Nah, I made my point. Thanks for the concern, though. 💙

by Anonymousreply 46September 7, 2024 1:13 AM

I liked the payola! It’s sooooo true!

by Anonymousreply 47September 7, 2024 1:15 AM

R47 It is true and it’s out of control. It’s their money maker. They just lavish praise on celebrities nonstop. I love when they heap payola praise on something and the audience score is terrible. Seeing them get caught is pleasing.

by Anonymousreply 48September 7, 2024 1:27 AM

R37 That. Every fucking thing she does is followed by the most pretentious shit imaginable. GD that was hard to read. She’s too thirsty and it is a huge turn off. She is not charismatic and she is not pretty. She’s frankly exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 49September 7, 2024 2:05 AM

Good lord. That quote at R39 makes her sound not only pretentious, but stupid as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 50September 7, 2024 3:18 AM

We have Lady Gaga’s fiancé to thank for her next pop album

The singer will release the first single from LG7 in October

Little Monster’s rejoice: Lady Gaga is returning with a new pop album and it’s all thanks to her fiancé, Michael Polansky.

Speaking to Vogue for a recent cover story, the 38-year-old spilled some details about her upcoming new music, sharing that the first single would release in October (!), with the album, known only as LG7 so far, coming early next year.

“Michael [Polansky] is the person who told me to make a new pop record,” Gaga said, referring to her fiancé, who she got engaged to in April this year. “He was like, ‘Babe. I love you. You need to make pop music.’”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 7, 2024 3:43 AM

Her finest hour:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 7, 2024 3:46 AM

She’s not a good actress.

She’s one of those actors that think emotion is the only part of acting.

I remember watching the movie “Hereditary” for the third time and noticed a scene where Toni Collette walks out of the master bathroom, tosses dirty clothes into the hamper and gets into her bed with her husband. It was so smooth and so natural as if she’d been doing it as a routine for 20 years. I was like wow, that’s acting! I may have not noticed it the first watch but it popped out after a while how brilliant she is.

Gaga only knows the surface level of acting which is if you ugly cry, if you emote, if you’re vulnerable, blah blah blah then it was a good performance and you’re an actor and everyone is going to praise you!

As someone said, you can see her thinking and strategy in all of her roles. It’s so transparent that you’re just watching her trying to get an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 53September 7, 2024 3:52 AM

R44 Usually the general mainstream press get the Oscar buzz wrong and focus on the most famous to stir up Oscar season. Usually Oscars don’t go to the most famous!

Right now they’re talking about Gaga and Angelina and I honestly don’t think either of them will be nominated. They’re just the most famous ones who are looking for Oscar buzz.

by Anonymousreply 54September 7, 2024 3:57 AM

I didn’t see the big deal with “A Star Is Born”

Here’s a great examples of 2 divas fighting over who can be the biggest ham in the scene.

Both fight to be on 100.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 7, 2024 4:01 AM

Lady HaHa is not being talked about seriously for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 56September 7, 2024 4:03 AM

She should never have been nominated for ASIB. There is nothing noteworthy about her performance. Her nomination is more about the Academy's obsession with Cooper than anything she did.

by Anonymousreply 57September 7, 2024 4:16 AM

She ain't getting that Oscar this year. I see her over emoting and I raise her... A NAPPY PUSSY!

by Anonymousreply 58September 7, 2024 5:25 AM

I think this will drop like a wet turd. It's now not the zeitgeist.

by Anonymousreply 59September 7, 2024 5:49 AM

This sequel should have never happened.

It was a good stand alone film. The film’s ending was nice and ambiguous and still wrapped everything up.

Todd Phillips said something last week about this version of the Joker does not become the Joker we know and he’s not built to be the big villain he’s famous for, I absolutely lost interest.

This movie should have been about his rise to power and instead it seems like it’s just about him being a weak crazy person institutionalized.

by Anonymousreply 60September 7, 2024 6:07 AM

I bet she came up with this pretentious title. And a musical? I can hear it now: “A musical. So avant guard. So daring. Awards. Awards. Awards.”

My god the scenes I’ve seen are cringe.

by Anonymousreply 61September 7, 2024 6:25 AM

"Toni Collette walks out of the master bathroom, tosses dirty clothes into the hamper and gets into her bed with her husband."

Oddly enough, Nicole Kidman getting dressed for the party in Eyes Wide Shut was the same for me. Just very natural, easy, down to her wearing glasses and wiping herself after she peed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 7, 2024 11:34 AM

The genius Mr. Kubrick deserves at least some of that credit, R62.

by Anonymousreply 63September 7, 2024 11:42 AM

David Fincher explained one of the reasons why he does so many takes is because he doesn’t want actors to feel brand new in their environment.

Michelle Pfeiffer in “Batman Returns” is another good example. Selina comes home to her little shitty apartment and comes home from work and does her routine. It was so natural. She’s used to being alone. Even when she comes back home crazy, it still feels like she’s lived there for a couple of years.

Those are things someone like Lady Gaga just could not do. She doesn’t have the acting chops for that.

She only knows how to do “big” acting.

by Anonymousreply 64September 7, 2024 1:33 PM

[quote]David Fincher explained one of the reasons why he does so many takes is because he doesn’t want actors to feel brand new in their environment.

Rehearsals would do that too. He just wants to be an asshole. It's the director version of 'method' acting

by Anonymousreply 65September 7, 2024 3:12 PM

^ depending on the actor's schedule and the filming schedule, r65, long days of rehearsals are not always an option. And he probably thinks of doing retakes as part of the rehearsal process within the timeframe of shooting. If an actor does something brilliant in a full "dress rehearsal" you might as well get it on tape. Kubrick was infamous for doing hundreds of takes.

by Anonymousreply 66September 7, 2024 4:37 PM

The Rotten Tomatoes critics and audience reviews are not BAD, more on the lower end of good... IMDB is on the upper end of bad.

I have ZERO interest in seeing this. And probably never will. I liked the first one. Not loved, but liked.

Fuck em!

And I think Joaquin is a CUNT for what he did to Todd whatshisname. So fuck him.

I hope it bombs, I suspect it will have a massive fall off in its second week.

by Anonymousreply 67September 7, 2024 4:42 PM

R67 They’re not good. 61% and dropping is not good. The new rule is generally anything under 80% on RT is questionable whether it’s going to be liked by a mass audience. Anything under 70% is going to have a very limited audience who likes it.

by Anonymousreply 68September 8, 2024 1:29 AM

works for me R68!

by Anonymousreply 69September 8, 2024 1:37 AM

[quote]It was a good stand alone film.

It was a remake of a far superior Martin Scorsese movie called The King of Comedy. There was nothing innovative about it.

If you look at Tod Phillip's filmography, the guy has made absolute shit. There was a reason why this was different and it's because he copied from a genius.

by Anonymousreply 70September 8, 2024 1:51 AM

[quote]They’re (RT scores) not good. 61% and dropping is not good

People here often say that all the RT scores are fixed and paid for by studios. If that's so, they need to open up their wallets, pronto. It currently has 44 reviews (from Venice) and there are about 500 reviews to go before it is released.

Here's the studio's problem: The film is reported to have cost $200 million dollars (with about $20 million going to Joaquin). By rule of thumb, the film may need to make $500 million TO BREAK EVEN in its theatrical release.

The previous Joker film cost between $50 and $70 million, and made over a billion dollars at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 71September 8, 2024 2:05 AM

R71 They are epically stupid to spend that much on a Joaquin film. Add LG to the mix and they deserve to lose massive amounts of $. She’s barely a music star, she has no charisma, is not attractive, so why would they think adding her will add box office?

I think they’ll pay for massive hype hoping to get a huge opening weekend. Word of mouth will kill this.

by Anonymousreply 72September 8, 2024 2:45 AM

Stop hating on Gaga. After all she has done for our community. Gaga is one of the greatest actresses who was a big pop star of all time.

by Anonymousreply 73September 8, 2024 10:12 PM

After that Gucci disaster how many more chances is she gonna get?

by Anonymousreply 74September 8, 2024 11:33 PM

R74 Fuck off. Gaga is the greatest actress among millennials.

by Anonymousreply 75September 8, 2024 11:36 PM

Opening weekend box office will be big (I saw a long-range prediction of $100 million), and then a huge drop in the second weekend as bad word of mouth spreads.

by Anonymousreply 76September 8, 2024 11:48 PM

Isn't there often a large divergence between the critics' score and the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes?

by Anonymousreply 77September 8, 2024 11:51 PM

R77 Not for really good movies.

R73 She’s done nothing and she’s middling at best. Her music sucks, too.

by Anonymousreply 78September 9, 2024 12:09 AM

R78 I’m sick of it. You guys are just Madge super fans jealous because Madge couldn’t act her way out of a paper bag. I love Madonna but let’s be real, Gaga is more inherently talented. Better singer, actress, and more versatile. Madge should be forever lauded for introducing sex into pop music the way she did but she isn’t on the same level of talent as Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 79September 9, 2024 12:34 AM

Joker was morbidly fascinating but that was enough.

by Anonymousreply 80September 9, 2024 12:43 AM

R79, but Madonna has better songs.

by Anonymousreply 81September 9, 2024 1:29 AM

Why does everyone always throw Madonna into the mix?

This poser was a flash in the pan and needs to focus on something (NOT acting) and do something with it.

Perhaps its the commercials for migraine meds. I don't know. I'm just sick of seeing her big schnozz on every goddamn thing.

Stop forcing yourself down our throats, already.

by Anonymousreply 82September 9, 2024 1:35 AM

R79 We aren’t going to be baited into your stan wars.

How many ailments has she claimed to have? Migraines, broken hip, fibromyalgia, cancer, psoriasis. She’s middling talent wise and she’s had one true hit song in over 10 years! Features don’t count because she can’t get a true hit without a feature. She’s also old. She’s about to be 40. We’re just not that into her.

by Anonymousreply 83September 9, 2024 2:35 AM

[quote]She’s also old. She’s about to be 40.

That's ancient for a pop star, but she might have some good years ahead of her as a character actress. God knows she's ambitious enough. There might be a spot for her in Vegas, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 9, 2024 3:12 AM

How very dare you R83! You forgot her PTSD!

by Anonymousreply 85September 9, 2024 3:59 AM

R77 Yes.

The critics score is the percentage of critics who gave it a positive review. A lot of people think 100% means every journalist gave it a 10/10 or 5 stars. It means 100% of the journalists gave it a positive review which means it can range from 3-5 stars.

The audience rating is based on the actors score rating.

by Anonymousreply 86September 9, 2024 5:05 AM

R84 Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 87September 9, 2024 10:57 AM

[quote]I bet she came up with this pretentious title.

Oh, come on. It fits the film perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 88September 9, 2024 11:41 AM

They could have easily called it Nutjobs r88, ha!. The title is kinda pretentious. French? Come on. I don't even have to see a single press interview to imagine Gaga's duck lips forming the those words looking like Giada De Laurentis pronouncing Spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 89September 9, 2024 11:46 AM

I cannot believe she's not 40 yet! She doesn't look like a woman in her 30s. That said, she doesn't bother me half as much as she triggers some of you. She's good in some things, meh in others.

by Anonymousreply 90September 9, 2024 12:59 PM

Studio paid reviews won’t save this. If they know it’s a dud, respected reviewers will not stick their necks out for money. They’ll OF COURSE praise Joaquin and OF COURSE Lady HaHa will pay to have praise heaped on her.

by Anonymousreply 91September 10, 2024 11:04 PM

Really sticking with that 'Lady Haha' thing, eh?

by Anonymousreply 92September 11, 2024 12:01 AM

Zero desire to see this

by Anonymousreply 93September 11, 2024 12:04 AM

Lady CaCa is how I always refer to her. Thank you Dlistd. I chuckle every time I call her that, whether I get one in return or not.

by Anonymousreply 94September 11, 2024 12:41 AM

It is getting horrible reviews. Even the payola reviews can’t save it, though Lady Try Hard’s payola is softening the blow for her a bit. Razzie for Worst Supporting Actress is a lock.

by Anonymousreply 95October 2, 2024 11:03 AM

[quote]I can hear it now: “A musical. So avant guard."

Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 96October 2, 2024 12:18 PM

My problem with Gaga is that she moves like a linebacker on stage with T-Rex arms and no grace.

by Anonymousreply 97October 2, 2024 5:30 PM

Stefani "Lady Gaga" Germanotta has been nothing but a loyal and vocal ally to our community for like 15 straight years. Why the vitriol? How bored are you guys? You're picking on her looks so much but she's just a prettier Liza, she's lovely! You're all acting like a repressed gaggle of seething, hissing, housebound bullies with literally nothing better to do than hate on a woman that has been wonderful to you.

If you don't want to go see this movie, just don't go. It's a fucking FILM. She's not killing Palestinian children in Gaza. You know what actually matters right now? That Lady Gaga and her fans will be voting for Harris/Walz in November. That's more than enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 98October 2, 2024 5:58 PM

R98 So weird you think a pop singer is beyond critique. Or that a straight woman is a savior for the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 99October 2, 2024 7:08 PM

R99 When did I say either of those things? I didn't. Didn't use and have never used the word "savior," and I didn't say and have never called any artist "above critique." I said she's been a loyal ally, which is objectively true. And to paraphrase, I'm saying she's not hurting anyone by attempting to have an acting career. If this or any other film looks shitty to you, then don't go. There are a gazillion films to choose from at all times.

by Anonymousreply 100October 2, 2024 7:22 PM

If the Harlequin album songs aren't even in the movie, then releasing an "inspiration" album of jazz standards was either marketing genius or ignorance: illiterates think the album was a soundtrack to the movie and refuse to go see a jazz musical; or, GaGa knew the movie was a flop and did a quick tie-in to make a buck and build hype for her new pop album coming in 2025.

by Anonymousreply 101October 2, 2024 9:00 PM

I've always maintained that a pop/rock star's career is on the decline when they start doing standards and Christmas songs.

by Anonymousreply 102October 2, 2024 9:04 PM

R37, this is exactly my problem with Gaga. She REALLY insists upon herself. She has been that way since Born this Way.

by Anonymousreply 103October 2, 2024 9:27 PM

[quote] Gaga is more inherently talented. Better singer, actress, and more versatile

Nothing about Gaga's talent is "inherent". She's trained to hell to get to where she is and it shows. There's nothing "natural" about anything she does. She is proof that talent doesn't necessarily make someone a better artist. Madonna is nowhere near as good of a singer but her body of work is far superior to Gaga's. I say this as someone who LOVED Gaga when she first came on the scene. She wore out her welcome quickly.

by Anonymousreply 104October 2, 2024 9:33 PM

R103 She’s fucking exhausting. That cover of her new album is cringe as fuck. She is the most pretentious bitch around and doesn’t have much to actually show for it. Her music career has been virtually dead since 2011. She has to feature a more popular artist to have a hit. She finally had a hit tour again, but everyone is having touring success right now. Touring has never been this hot. She’s old now. Her voice is very annoying and nothing special. Everything she does is for awards. Her interviews are unlistenable. She’s a shit songwriter.

R104 A better example would be Janet Jackson, who can’t sing at all, yet has a far, far superior body of work than Lady Gaga. Madonna can at least sing.

by Anonymousreply 105October 2, 2024 9:37 PM

Vadge fangirls are all over this thread.

Vadge will never be nominated, let alone win an Oscar. Get over it and stop seething over Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 106October 2, 2024 9:40 PM

Who fucking cares if she can sing better than this singer or that singer. There are a helluva lot better singers than her. Her fans cling to her “singing chops” like that should automatically make her popular or better than x, y, or z. That’s not how showbiz works. Taylor can’t sing for shit, but she is a far better musician, a far better entertainer, for sure a better looking, than this Lady thing.

R106 Oh yes, that’s it. Sure. DL hates Madonna you stupid cunt. Sorry, Madonna didn’t make her new movie a stink fest. No lies are being told. Her fans are the biggest, most fragile beings on Earth. You cannot criticize her at all or they have an existential crisis. See R98.

by Anonymousreply 107October 2, 2024 9:42 PM

R106 Call us when she doesn’t have to have 9 songwriters, and she’s listed last, to get an Oscar. Her Oscar was Mark Ronson’s and EVERYONE knows it.

by Anonymousreply 108October 2, 2024 9:43 PM

[quote] Madonna can at least sing.

Said no one ever.

by Anonymousreply 109October 2, 2024 9:51 PM

R109 Bitch GIVE IT UP. Read the hundreds of reviews of her work. Every critic says she can sing. Seriously, that talking point is laughable and no one believes it.

by Anonymousreply 110October 2, 2024 9:56 PM

This was a bad role choice for Gaga, although I can see how it would look good on paper. People are sick of retreads, sequels, crossovers, comic book shit, nepo babies, tired stories and everything else this movie encapsulates. Add to that, she has to compete with Robbie's HQ performance which is the pinnacle. Gaga is not a HQ and doesn't have the chops to pull it off. She is a Gretchen Weiner in real life and in every role she plays. That s just her energy.

by Anonymousreply 111October 2, 2024 10:14 PM

[quote]r33 She doesn’t quite yet have the chops for the roles she is given. You see her trying to make every scene important - you see the work.

Click click click!

by Anonymousreply 112October 2, 2024 10:31 PM

R111 Perfect description. Gretchen Weiner! Nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 113October 2, 2024 10:39 PM

I know I'm supposed to love Lady Gaga, being gay and all, but I could just never get into her. I can't really explain why but I've always just been "meh" about her.

by Anonymousreply 114October 2, 2024 11:25 PM

Who is Gretchen Weiner?

by Anonymousreply 115October 2, 2024 11:32 PM

R114 Judging by her struggles in her career, you are not alone. She doesn’t have it. She’s ugly and you can see her acting from Pluto.

by Anonymousreply 116October 2, 2024 11:38 PM

I heard some young people talking about how much they loved joker but they heard this was crappy and weren’t sure if they’d see it. It seems like everyone thinks it sucks

by Anonymousreply 117October 2, 2024 11:43 PM

Let's just say she's no Glen Coco, R115.

by Anonymousreply 118October 2, 2024 11:49 PM

I don’t think she’s ugly, but she doesn’t seem to do things that enhance her features. She tends to make them look more severe. I do admire chutzpah.

by Anonymousreply 119October 3, 2024 12:10 AM

R119 OMG, are you seriously saying she doesn’t do everything in her power to seem pretty? Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

She’s ugly and has negative sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 120October 3, 2024 12:37 AM

Hun, when you state that GaGa has been a loyal and vocal ally to our community for like 15 straight years, then ask why the vitriol, you ARE stating that she should be above criticism. Don't act like you don't know exactly what you meant. Own your obsession!

by Anonymousreply 121October 3, 2024 12:39 AM

The Gaga criticism might be easier to take if it wasn't coming from a bunch of Madonna and Janet "Is Kamala black?" Jackson fans. Or in the case of Boomers, Barbra Streisand 🙄. Talk about ugly!

by Anonymousreply 122October 3, 2024 12:46 AM

R122 Easier to take? Did you seriously say “Easier to take” like she’s she comfort animal!

Are the Madonna and Janet fans in the room with you? Are they asking you to hurt yourself?

GODDAMN her fans are mental freaks. Just fucking mental freaks like her.

by Anonymousreply 123October 3, 2024 12:48 AM

I'm a huge Gaga fan who also has little to no interest in seeing this film. However, this song off her new album is exquisite!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 3, 2024 12:51 AM

R123 calm down pops.

Speaking of schnozz R82, how is Babs these days?

by Anonymousreply 125October 3, 2024 12:57 AM

Hilarious how the CaCa freaks act like bringing up Madonna, Janet and now Babs(!!!) somehow mitigates Stefani's many flaws. Get real, gurls.

by Anonymousreply 126October 3, 2024 1:00 AM

R123 consider a sedative, arsehole

by Anonymousreply 127October 3, 2024 1:05 AM

R123 is the loony Vadgefan who screams “payola” ad nauseam whenever another pop star achieves something before Madonna.

Bitch is a psycho.

by Anonymousreply 128October 3, 2024 1:11 AM

R125 Cupcake, she’s old now and her fans are not young. In fact, because of Tony, she has older fans, gramps.

R128 is the Vadge fan in the room with you? Are they telling you to hurt yourself?

by Anonymousreply 129October 3, 2024 1:14 AM

Gaga is too ugly for film, too ugly for television. Stick to music butter face.

by Anonymousreply 130October 3, 2024 1:45 AM

Madonna, Janet Jackson, Babs, Tony, old people, gay people didn’t make this movie suck. They didn’t force her to release an embarrassing companion album. This will seriously hurt her “movie career”. Big opening then word of mouth will be brutal and ppl are going to be pissed the fuck off about how bad it is. She’s going to be made fun of and hated by young boys who will compare her to Robbie’s HQ.

by Anonymousreply 131October 3, 2024 1:46 AM

Straight bros are the primary audience for these films. Why the fuck did they think Lady Gaga singing old Judy Garland songs would appeal to that demographic?

by Anonymousreply 132October 3, 2024 1:57 AM

R131, nah.

This isn't really a Gaga film. It's a Phoenix and, especially, a Todd Phillips film.

Gaga will be fine as a bankable A list actress for another two or three years. If she has no hits by then? Then she'll be over as an A list actress. Her next role is very important.

by Anonymousreply 133October 3, 2024 4:00 AM

R104 The difference between Madonna and Gaga is Madonna had a great instinct for collaborating with people more talented than her.

Gaga thinks she’s the talent.

When she stopped working with her original crew Red One, Fernando Garibay (producers and writers) and Heidi Slimane and Nick Knight (photographers / artists), she fell apart.

Only recently has Madonna lost sight of talent. Her college friend Stephen Bray and Patrick Leonard were her creative rocks in the 80s and then in the 90s there was Shep Pettibone, William Orbit, and Mirwais. Then she made magic with Stuart Price in the 2000s. Once she started working with mainstream record label producers and it people she had discovered or was interested in, she started to decline.

by Anonymousreply 134October 3, 2024 4:27 AM

R131 What movie career though?

She’s been in 5 movies in 10 years, 3 lead roles and only 1 of them was a standout hit. “House of Gucci” did okay. I don’t think it has been big on streaming services but it probably broke even with the studio.

She’s not the next Cher.

by Anonymousreply 135October 3, 2024 4:35 AM

R132 Hollywood hates straight bros.

Straight bros liked “Joker” so it’s like with everything made for them, it had to be taken away.

by Anonymousreply 136October 3, 2024 4:36 AM

And from what I’ve heard, there is a big twist in the end that’s a major spoiler that’s going to piss everyone off.

When I heard it, I thought it was stupid but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense to me from the Todd Phillips universe perspective.

by Anonymousreply 137October 3, 2024 4:38 AM

Watching the cam version as I type. 🤡🍿

by Anonymousreply 138October 3, 2024 5:15 AM

For those of you who want to know the entire plot, including the twist at the end, but don't want to watch the movie the entire plot synopsis is up on the film's Wiki page.

by Anonymousreply 139October 3, 2024 5:16 AM

Omg, Harry Lawtey (Rob on Industry) is playing Harvey Dent in this! He's moving up in the biz.

by Anonymousreply 140October 3, 2024 5:44 AM

R133 yah

She is not a bankable star. What fucking delusional planet are you on? No one and I mean no one goes to see a film because of her. I dare her to try to open a movie based on her name alone. She is not a great actress, she has had one hit movie because of Bradley Cooper, HOG was a flop and her performance was laughable.

by Anonymousreply 141October 3, 2024 10:33 AM

R135 According to them, Madonna was just as talented, just not as trained. Madonna surrounded herself with people she could learn from, but they are all on record saying she is the primary lyricist and she can craft and produce fantastic melodies, bridge, and songs in general. Stop trying to diminish Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 142October 3, 2024 11:10 AM

Finished the movie just now, I liked it a lot. Haven't seen the first one so I can't compare, but it can definitely stand on its own. However, I was surprised by how "light" it was, it honestly felt like one long TV episode. Not much meat on it, basically just a courtroom drama.

Can't stand Phoenix since his Haynes drama, but my god he is something else in this. Every single blink is calculated, couldn't keep my eyes off him even during long stretches of silence. No other male actor this year comes even close to what he does here.

As for Gaga, I don't understand the supporting talk, she's barely in it? She's just okay, nothing special. The juxtaposition of her blank face with Joaquin's facial movements in overdrive at all times just drives home the point that she's not much of an actress. She's serviceable, nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 143October 3, 2024 11:18 AM

BEST ACTRESS OSCAR to Gaga. She is THAT good. River could not keep up, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 144October 3, 2024 11:27 AM

[quote] When she stopped working with her original crew Red One, Fernando Garibay (producers and writers) and Heidi Slimane and Nick Knight (photographers / artists), she fell apart.

I have posted this a lot on reddit and I'm downvoted heavily every single time. It's not a coincidence that her work went downhill after these people stopped working with her.

by Anonymousreply 145October 3, 2024 12:27 PM

She was a basic bitch until she met the right gays. Just listen to her music pre-“The Fame”. She resembles today closer to who she was before she got a creative team to put together “The Fame”, “Monster”, and “Born This Way”. And she didn’t do very well back then that’s why she had to change her image.

She parted ways with her team and did “Artpop” with a new team on her own and it was a disaster.

A lot of these straight women are basic bitches and are given life by others, especially gays. Britney and Katy and Rihanna are other examples.

by Anonymousreply 146October 3, 2024 1:51 PM

And that’s why Taylor Swift has never dropped the ball. She’s a shameless basic white chick who has never needed edge or gays or Swedish or black producers to make her cool.

by Anonymousreply 147October 3, 2024 1:53 PM

Down to 48% on Rotten Tomatoes.

She sucks in this movie. Her reviews are payola.

by Anonymousreply 148October 3, 2024 1:59 PM

Didn't she kill some lady she stole her imahe from?

by Anonymousreply 149October 3, 2024 2:03 PM

I worked on this, on the big BG days in the courtroom in L.A., and everyone seemed to like her. I will say that Joaquin does have that magnetism where you can't take your eyes off of him, especially in the dancing numbers. Gaga had buccal fat removal and lips pumped up, which made me feel like she was too contemporary looking for the time the film was set

I didn't have access to the script, and I didn't know that there was a twist, but I'm guessing it's similar to the twist in the first movie.

by Anonymousreply 150October 3, 2024 2:05 PM

I like some of Gaga’s music but I’ve never been interested in any of the movies she’s been in. I liked her in AHS Hotel but she kind of played herself

by Anonymousreply 151October 3, 2024 2:27 PM

R146, she really was. She was not too different from Sara Bareilles.

by Anonymousreply 152October 3, 2024 2:29 PM

This is going to enrage fans of the first film. This will tank hard in week 2.

Razzies on the way!

by Anonymousreply 153October 3, 2024 5:26 PM

As I only "liked" Joker and have zero plans to watch this. (I am a firm Lady Gaga fan. Not a superfan, but I like her as an artist and find her to be a good actress-)

I decided to watch a full spoiler review on Youtube.

Holy FUCK-- I do not know what they were thinking...

These are not spoilers, but warnings--

if you like Gaga- she is only in to 10-15 minutes of the entire film. The trailer and everything else is completely misleading.

This sounds absolutely TERRIBLE.. And by the 2nd week- this one will fade into oblivion.

One last comment- not a spoiler- The film is only "set" in 2 or 3 settings- It sounds utterly boring and claustrophobic.

And the ending is going to be devisive, if not hated.

It really sounds like this sequel was written by someone who hated everything about the first one.

Floored by how bad this sounds.

by Anonymousreply 154October 3, 2024 6:13 PM

divisive ^^ Oh DEER!!!!

And this dipshit above "Best Actress for Gaga? Not for 15 minutes of screen time!

She may have gotten into Supporting if the film was not going to bomb so badly-

by Anonymousreply 155October 3, 2024 6:18 PM

She is not a good enough actress to ever be nominated for an Oscar. The perennial best actress nominees destroy this bitch. She isn't anywhere near the league of any actress who deserves an Oscar nom.

by Anonymousreply 156October 3, 2024 7:11 PM

I'm starting to think A Star is Born was her Desperately Seeking Susan moment.

by Anonymousreply 157October 3, 2024 8:06 PM

WHY the fuck is the second Joker film a musical with Lady Gaga? Talk about being tone deaf to the core audience for this kind of film

Musicals are great and showtunes and standards are great but FFS it's not gay men who are the target audience here. It's straight bros who want violence and action, not a musical/cartoon/courtroom drama.

by Anonymousreply 158October 3, 2024 8:06 PM

Down to 39% on Rotten Tomatoes. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 159October 4, 2024 2:03 AM

Gaga's headache commercials give me a headache. I know it's wrong, but I hope she has one, too.

by Anonymousreply 160October 4, 2024 2:41 AM

Omfg what were they thinking. Her scenes are cringe. You can tell she is thinking this is going to be epic. Her acting is a chore.

by Anonymousreply 161October 4, 2024 2:56 AM

I watched the first Joker with morbid curiosity, I won't be going back for a second serving.

by Anonymousreply 162October 4, 2024 3:03 AM

I don't understand why in almost every thread or mention of a female singer such as Lady Gaga, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Celine Dion, Katy Perry, Beyoncé, Britney Spears and the list goes on and on - Madonna is brought up as some kind of comparison or benchmark to the female singer being discussed.

Why does this happen? Why is Madonna always interjected randomly into a discussion which has nothing to do with Madonna?

by Anonymousreply 163October 4, 2024 3:17 AM

R163 DL loves to drag her.

And she’s the best selling female singer ever. Her legacy is unmatched. Her popularity worldwide is unmatched though Taylor is closing in.

by Anonymousreply 164October 4, 2024 3:23 AM

You must be new here, R163. We have a lunatic Vadge fanboy who's been polluting this site for decades by trashing any major pop star who rivaled Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 165October 4, 2024 3:31 AM

Thanks for the explanation R164. Totally agree and I forgot to mention Taylor Swift. Madonna is in a different league and at a different level than the other female singers who she's often brought up in threads discussing those female singers. Madonna is in the same league as The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Elvis Presley etc. The megastar iconic musical acts of the past 60 years. She isn't really comparable to these other female musical acts. It's just very strange how Madonna is always mentioned in threads which have nothing to do with her and to which she has no relevance. But inevitably she's brought up.

I'm not new here R165. I've been a paid member since 2004. Obviously I've seen the threads dragging Madonna. I was just surprised that when discussing Gaga in this film - suddenly, Madonna is interjected into the thread out of nowhere at R13 onwards. R13 doesn't look like a Vadge fanboy. R165 - you seem to have posted about Madonna a lot in this thread judging by the specific terms and language you repeatedly use. Are you R13 et al? If so - it seems that you interjected Madonna into this thread.

by Anonymousreply 166October 4, 2024 4:03 AM

This is going to sound crazy: I like Gaga AND Madonna!

I know, I know. But I do.

by Anonymousreply 167October 4, 2024 9:32 AM

R166 You nailed it. The haters interject her in every discussion of other female artists.

R167 There’s nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 168October 4, 2024 10:40 AM

Madonna has always been in on the joke and Gaga thinks herself a thespian.

by Anonymousreply 169October 4, 2024 1:21 PM

R169, Madonna has always wanted an Oscar. But I agree that Gaga has a REALLY inflated ego about her acting since she is a theatre kid all the way through.

by Anonymousreply 170October 4, 2024 2:08 PM

Madonna should have, at least, an Oscar nomination for her soundtrack contributions.

by Anonymousreply 171October 4, 2024 2:16 PM

Madonna was GREAT in Evita and deserved a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 172October 4, 2024 2:18 PM

Madonna was much better in Dangerous Game versus Evita. Maybe she should have been nominated for Best Actress for Truth or Dare too (only half-joking).

by Anonymousreply 173October 4, 2024 2:31 PM

R171, I agree. I would argue the songwriting is secondary to the singing. Nobody would care about "Sooner or Later" or "You Must Love Me" if a more boring singer had sung them.

by Anonymousreply 174October 4, 2024 2:58 PM

[quote]Add to that, she has to compete with Robbie's HQ performance which is the pinnacle.

Pinnacle was Arleen Sorkin.

by Anonymousreply 175October 4, 2024 3:09 PM

I read all the spoilers, and I'm amazed the film went in the direction it did. No wonder the audience scores are so low.

by Anonymousreply 176October 4, 2024 7:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!